The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Gear Level Poll

• Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    no
    ereboz wrote: »
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    I hate that the majority don't want something like this. I'm not sure if raising it to 200, or something would work. But I find the funnest part of an mmo is endless gear progression. In this game once you get BiS gear, that's it, your done until something gets nerfed. There's nothing to do at end game except the same content for no reward

PvP is the real end-game.

Farming gear is one of the least fun things about this game. The only things less fun might be inventory management and doing surveys.

Maybe you would be ok being stuck on a treadmill forever but the rest of us do not want to be.

I hate PvP, it is most certainly not the end game. A never ending grind for gear or some kind of gear progression is what makes an mmo fun. Once you get your best in slot you should be able to keep upgrading it, instead of having the same gear forever.

You and I have two very different definitions of what makes an MMO fun.

I change my gear nearly every patch. There always seems to be some change made by ZoS that causes me to adjust. If you have had the same gear forever that seems like a personal choice.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    no
    monktoasty wrote: »
    I hate that the majority don't want something like this. I'm not sure if raising it to 200, or something would work. But I find the funnest part of an mmo is endless gear progression. In this game once you get BiS gear, that's it, your done until something gets nerfed. There's nothing to do at end game except the same content for no reward

Farming gear is one of the least fun things about this game. The only things less fun might be inventory management and doing surveys.

Maybe you would be ok being stuck on a treadmill forever but the rest of us do not want to be.

Yea because dealing with the annoying kids 9n pvp is soooo fun

There are some annoying people. There are also alot of good and serious players. PvP, like literally anything thing in life will have both good and bad people occupying it. PvP zone chat is no worse than what I see in PvE zone chat.
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes
    Why not...new gear cap=new crafting orders=more muneh....khajiit likes $,.,$
  • Jarryzzt
    Jarryzzt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Realistically, I think it would take a metric ton of effort on ZOS's part to execute a wholesale gear rebalancing, e.g. by raising the maximum to CP...200? 300? Something greater than 160.

The question is - what would they gain for this effort? As a business, first and foremost. Specifically:

- Would this change increase the number of new players coming into the game? Somehow, that seems doubtful.

- Would this cause some number of existing non-sub players to either a) convert to ESO+ or b) ramp up their purchases in the Crown Store? I don't see why unless new max gear/CP levels required...some extraordinary grinding that would be nearly unattainable without potions? In any case, that would be a bad direction to take the game in, and I suspect ZOS knows it.

- Would this stop CP690 players from dropping off for there being "nothing for them to do"? Well, first, one must prove that significant numbers of CP690s are leaving, which really only ZOS can speak to as they see the server-side stats. And second, if this were the case would it not make sense to just create more endgame content without changing gear levels?

The point is - any time a player has one of these "big ideas" for the game, they really ought to imagine themselves as a developer inside ZOS who is heading into a meeting with management and has to answer the question - how do I sell this? Because if you cannot sell it to management, they won't authorize the manhours to do the work, it is really that simple. And, of course, to sell anything you ultimately need to speak to the business model in some fashion, however indirect.

TLDR - I would be very surprised to see a gear cap increase happen in the visible future. Of course, anything is hypothetically possible.
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    The primary reason to do a gear cap increase in any MMO is to reset gear for rebalancing without nerfing things the players already farmed. World of Warcraft can force you to get all new raid gear by adding another tier or expansion. This gear could be completely different from the old gear. The old set may have made you super tanky or buffed your Shadow damage a lot. Maybe it had a cool proc. All of that is gone in the new gear set for the new raids. You have a different sort of balance with it, maybe the pieces don't give as much relative health as you're used to and now you're super squishy relative to the mobs.

Thing is, they've already been doing these gear resets without actually raising the levels. The new DLCs have stuff to farm that is stronger than the stuff you were wearing before. There's no reason to raise the level of such gear when you can just raise the effective level of future gear.

If they did a cap increase it would probably be to accompany a massive combat update that radically changes everything about the balance of the game and rescales the higher tier armors. But the problem is that rescaling gear can result in some stats being lower than the lower level versions. That's why your numerical stats usually jump from 10,000 health to 30,000 health. It gives them wiggle room to adjust things in an RPG while still seeming like you are getting stronger.

Except ESO can't do that because it would mean CP 160 gear has 2600 armor while CP 200 gear might have 7000 armor. Curves are essential to resets and the accompanied level increases. ESO doesn't have much of a curve... it's mostly flat due to One Tamriel.

TL:DR; They have no reason to ever raise the gear level unless they just feel like forcing us to farm gear we already farmed.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    no
    for me I say yes it's been 160 for a long time now and it'd be nice to have to collect gear again for something to do.

.....and break balance even more in the process
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    no
    Endless gear grind is not fun, and the increase would do NOTHING for the game except push people away. Bad idea is bad and you should feel bad.
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Bax wrote: »
    Tbh, I actually wouldn't mind if they remove CP gear tiers completely and end at level 50, because:

1.) Gear scales. Level 50 gear on level 50 character is exactly the same as cp 160 gear on cp 160+ character in terms of power. So having new tier of gears which will be exactly the same as current cp 160 at intended levels is pointless. Actually having all this material system is just remnant of pre -one tamriel patch, when different level of gears actually made sense, now it does not.

2.) CPs are shared. That's why I understand gear tiers on levels 1-50 since every character must grind through those. But once you hit 50, you immediately hit CP 160 gear tier as well if you already have CP 160+ character. That means you will skip all the CP gear tiers and hit the max one immediately. That's why I think they should remove CP tiers completely and end at 50.

And you will become COMPLETELY useless in a dungeon if you ding 50. Trust me. Was tanking a normal dungeon with level 46 gear at level 49 with no issues. Dinged 50 and immediately went to CP160 level. I was not able to tank the rest of the dungeon. I actually had to pull my banker out and grab spare gear just so I could finish.

Jarryzzt wrote: »
    Realistically, I think it would take a metric ton of effort on ZOS's part to execute a wholesale gear rebalancing, e.g. by raising the maximum to CP...200? 300? Something greater than 160.

The question is - what would they gain for this effort? As a business, first and foremost. Specifically:

TLDR - I would be very surprised to see a gear cap increase happen in the visible future. Of course, anything is hypothetically possible.

The game will become unplayable. You can "simulate" what would happen in a game with scaling if they did a gear cap increase to cp200. cp200 is 40 greater than cp160. To simulate this, go craft yourself cp120 gear and go try and kill something. Let me know how that works out for you.
    Edited by PlagueSD on December 13, 2017 7:19AM
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    no
    Why do people keep coming up with these *** polls?
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • playsforfun
    playsforfun
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes
    pieratsos wrote: »
    for me I say yes it's been 160 for a long time now and it'd be nice to have to collect gear again for something to do.

when has this game ever been balanced correctly? also i'd love to know what people do when the game gets stale for them? why do so many of you post complaints about the game on the forums i'd like some insight for research purposes.
    Edited by playsforfun on December 13, 2017 10:11AM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    no
    absolutely pointless.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    no
    pieratsos wrote: »

when has this game ever been balanced correctly? also i'd love to know what people do when the game gets stale for them? why do so many of you post complaints about the game on the forums i'd like some insight for research purposes.

So you are saying why bother with balance if its never going to be perfectly balanced. Something like why bother eating if im gonna be hungry later? Got you. Great logic there. Make sure to put this on ur research too.

On a serious note tho. You know, we have something called champion system. You do realise that one of its purposes is character progress so the game doesnt get stale right?

As far as the complains are concerned, well maybe it has something to do with PVP being royally screwed up and some people actually caring about balance and enjoyable time instead of breaking the game just for the sake of things not getting stale.
    Edited by pieratsos on December 13, 2017 11:14AM
  • randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    I agree with the get rid of cp gear levels idea completely.

What you can do is have all those different mats for cp 1 - 160 be able to craft max level gear so they are effectively the same but keep the colour differences, that way we can finally colour weapons without much? additional coding. Maybe even allow mixing then so half void cloth and half ancestor silk would give a rich purple or something similar.

EU PS4
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Huyen wrote: »
    PlagueSD wrote: »
    From Explaining how scaling works and why a gear cap increase will never happen in ESO:
    A minority of vocal players have been asking for a gear cap increase for a while. In this thread I am going to explain why a gear cap increase will NEVER happen in ESO (unless ZOS abandons One Tamriel).

"But WoW keeps increasing their gear cap, why can't ESO?"

The answer is simple: WoW doesn't have scaling.

When WoW introduces a new zone, dungeon, or raid, the mobs in said instance are also a higher level than the rest of the mobs in the game. Therefore, the player needs to farm new gear in order to complete this new content.

This is how ESO worked before One Tamriel (and is also why ESO had an increasing gear cap then).

As of One Tamriel, when ESO launches new content, the mobs are automatically scaled to the same level as all other mobs in the game. You don't need new gear to complete the new content. However, raising the gear cap would mean that all old content becomes inaccessible to the player until they've farmed gear at the new gear cap. When WoW increase the gear cap, old content is still accessible, it's only new content that requires new gear. This alone makes it impossible to increase the gear cap without breaking the game for everyone.

"But I want to become stronger, and I can only become stronger with higher level gear."

This statement is also incorrect. Gear levels do not make you stronger in ESO because mobs scale to the max gear level. Therefore, if the gear cap were raised to CP180 (for example), all mobs would be scaled to CP180. This means that all your stats would be increased 1:1 with mob stats. Your DPS would be identical at CP180 to what it was at CP160. A gear cap increase in ESO is not a means of progression (which is what some people seem to think).

As you can see, a gear cap increase in ESO accomplishes nothing. It isn't needed to unlock new content, nor does it make you more powerful. The only way it could work is if ZOS abandoned One Tamriel, which I highly doubt they will do.

TL;DR Raising the gear cap to CP180 would effectively make current CP160 gear equivalent to CP140 gear - and therefore make doing ANY content almost impossible. (don't believe me? Equip some CP 140 gear and go run a dungeon.)

The gear-cap increase in ESO will only give more power-creep, like what is happening in WoW. WoW is seeing a lot of power-creep as well due the levelcap increase every expansion, hence the massive downscaling in Warlords of Draenor. I dont see the point in the same thing happening in ESO.

People are completely misunderstanding how scaling works...

There would be no power creep because enemies would scale to the new gear cap. A gear cap increase would change nothing in ESO due to scaling. You would do EXACTLY the same amount of damage you do right now, while taking EXACTLY the same amount of damage from enemies (proportionally speaking). Content would not become easier or harder in any way, shape, or form.

That's why it will never be increased: it's completely pointless. The only way it would make sense is if ZOS abandoned scaling and went back to the VR system they used to have, when the game was averaging 500 players on Steam. One Tamriel completely revived this game. There is no chance they abandon it to go back to the system that almost killed the game.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on December 13, 2017 12:45PM
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    no, no and no

the gear is changed every patch, stats and all, so why also change the gear lvl?

Enough ppl whine already cauze they get killed by 160th gear, what will be when we have higher lvl gear??

Then first they all will press for lower lvl gear.

and second, it would not bring any new dimension to the gameplay, easy as it is.
  • Insanepirate01
    Insanepirate01
    ✭✭✭
    no
    Nope. Hell no. Unless all our gear automatically went up to the new level or there was an easy way to upgrade whatever gear you had then nope. It's not even the bis gear. Its all the gear I've acquired I hoard everything in case it might become the next bis. If all of that was rendered useless it would literally feel like just starting the game all over again.

The only reason I don't quit now is because I have most gear sets and vma weps and can switch them out as needed for trying new builds. If I had to do it all over I'd literally quit the same day and never return.

The people who would actually like to regrind everything have to be trolling or masochists. There's no other reasonable explanation.
  • playsforfun
    playsforfun
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Nope. Hell no. Unless all our gear automatically went up to the new level or there was an easy way to upgrade whatever gear you had then nope. It's not even the bis gear. Its all the gear I've acquired I hoard everything in case it might become the next bis. If all of that was rendered useless it would literally feel like just starting the game all over again.

The only reason I don't quit now is because I have most gear sets and vma weps and can switch them out as needed for trying new builds. If I had to do it all over I'd literally quit the same day and never return.

The people who would actually like to regrind everything have to be trolling or masochists. There's no other reasonable explanation.

defo a masochist hahaha
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    no
    No.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Rasing cap of gear for me and I believe for many many others would mean end of the game. Yes you can have my gear if this is going to happend, its 160cp anyways so it all will be useless.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    I think ZOS needs to give this poll VERY high consideration before they ever seriously consider a gear level raise! Considering the overwhelming NO response, you better believe this will translate across the entire ESO player community. I know a lot of people like to believe polls don't reflect most of those who don't visit the forums, but when you have such a lop-sided response, you better believe that the majority of players, including those not on the forums, would feel the same.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    no
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Rasing cap of gear for me and I believe for many many others would mean end of the game. Yes you can have my gear if this is going to happend, its 160cp anyways so it all will be useless.

I would uninstall this game immediately.
  • pandoraderomanus
    pandoraderomanus
    ✭✭✭
    yes
    Yes - only because I can finally solve my full messy bank/all chars inventory problem. And that I will have something to do when it happens - farm new gear, make new mess in my bank :D
    But being serious - I just want all this strange gear and leveling system to be gone. Make usual classic 100 levels (50,64,150,whatever) and remove champion system. Balancing will be easier, all those veteran 1-14 mats will not be wasted, etc.. Pretty sad that it's impossible anyway.
    PC-EU since 2014

Touches-Your-Tralala - retired lizardina-templar
    Pandora Morgenstern - noob orc-stamsorc
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Only if we get a new zone the size of Morrowind ie The rest of Skyrim or Summerset more than 2 dungeons like 4 or 5 and 1 trial and assume that the gear is better than anything else like must have for endgame then yes. But I'm not going to farm for gear I already have in CP160 just to have to get it again in CP 180+ Then no.
    The best thing to do should be to introduce a new level beyond legendary if they want to do some type of gear progression then up the gear levels.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

Some of us don't want to run aimlessly up a spiral staircase for our MMO careers. If you are bored and want something to do, go outside...

This game offers a lot to entertain. For me, it's 1vX in Cyrodiil. I only play this game simply because it's not a new gear tier with very expac.
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

Exactly. I have always thought players who find games like WoW fun are just lemmings, the real "no reward" is grinding/gearing up only to have all the effort meaningless in the next expansion....Maybe calling those players ants is a better analogy. Kick over the anthill and they just start rebuilding it anyway, how can anyone find that enjoyable? The game shoukd be about what happens after the grind, not having the grind being the thing that defines the game.