The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Gear Level Poll

• geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Oh, hell's bells no...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Rainraven
    Rainraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    God no. Hell no. Take your pick.

If they do anything, they should drop it to 50 and save people the weird gear heckscape of the vestigial CP 10 - 150 levels, but that would mess crafting up too so maybe just... leave it.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    no
    As long as the current scaling system stays in place, there is no point in increasing the gear cap as it won't change anything. People will still use the same kinds of sets and content will have the same difficulty when everything gets scaled up to cp 180, 200 or higher.
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Gear progression was effectively removed as of 1T, with the champion system replacing it as the vertical aspect of progression in this game, and gear progressing horizontally. CP gear levels are a legacy system at this point, and are more likely to be removed rather than increased.
    Edited by ssewallb14_ESO on December 11, 2017 9:27PM
  • Axoinus
    Axoinus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    I see absolutely no point in gear level increase.

I would prefer the devs work on a way to encourage build diversity.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Surprised someone felt the need to create a poll for this content considering the obvious response.

Regardless, Zos will raise the gear cap when they feel like it. They've never followed any logical reasoning other than they feel like it. LOL. The first increase to the cap was lesss than 2 months after the game was released follows by another increase a mere few months later.

Completely illogical just as when it will happen again.
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    And what such drastic change will provide while world around the player scales in order to please him? Nothing interesting, I suppose.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    no
    I never.. ever.. never ever want to spend any amount of time reacquiring the exact same things I already have, no matter how much more convenient the grind is made by things like transmutation.
    Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Transmutation stones = grind.

No they aren't

I get across 8 characters ... That's one playing and the others simply logging on and opening mail 25 to 50 a day
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    What would the point of it be? From a player point of view, all it does is force us to regrind what we already have. Yes, transmutation makes that grind easier, but why would you ever want to regrind gear you already have just to get back to the power level you were at before? With a world that scales up to max level, you gain no positive benefits from a gear cap increase at all.

Gear cap and level cap increases make more sense in a game that doesn't scale all content up. You can actually grow stronger compared to old content while powering up for newly added content. We don't have that here so it's pointless.
  • jakeedmundson
    jakeedmundson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Transmutation stones = grind.

No they aren't

I get across 8 characters ... That's one playing and the others simply logging on and opening mail 25 to 50 a day

Really.... you just "simply" log in and GET FREE transmute stones... on 8 characters?? Man... i'm doing it wayyyy wrong apparently. :wink:
    CP690
    Lv 50 Dunmer DragonKnight Tank/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Sorcerer Dps
    Lv 50 Breton Templar Healer/Dps
    Lv 50 Altmer Nightblade Dps
    Lv 50 Redguard Sorcerer Dps
    PS4 - DC
    vSOHM - vAAHM - vHRC - vMA Flawless

My version of a Heavy Attack Sorc build
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/294724/magicka-sorc-heavy-attack-build-homestead-ready/p1?new=1
  • iiYuki
    iiYuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    No for 2 main reasons:
    1) New players will have to level even more CP levels, I know they shoot up pretty quickly but I think 160 is a pretty good spot to be in, when someone reaches 50 and thinks *** yeah im cap and then realize "oh no your not" and has to level another 200 levels or whatever, im inclined to believe most people will say *** it.

2) I honestly dont see a point. Outside of pissing people off who farmed out the gear they wanted, regardless or not if there is a transmute system now, myself and many others played for days farming gear to get to the perfect sets or traits.
    Edited by iiYuki on December 11, 2017 9:55PM
    "Play how you want... unless its not how we intended you to play in which case we'll nerf it".
    - ZO$

- The ZO$ Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmUJWP_ebsQ
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want.

If you are looking to make me re craft my whole gear ... I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career.

Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this gear leveling topic right now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will block you."
    THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    From Explaining how scaling works and why a gear cap increase will never happen in ESO:
    A minority of vocal players have been asking for a gear cap increase for a while. In this thread I am going to explain why a gear cap increase will NEVER happen in ESO (unless ZOS abandons One Tamriel).

"But WoW keeps increasing their gear cap, why can't ESO?"

The answer is simple: WoW doesn't have scaling.

When WoW introduces a new zone, dungeon, or raid, the mobs in said instance are also a higher level than the rest of the mobs in the game. Therefore, the player needs to farm new gear in order to complete this new content.

This is how ESO worked before One Tamriel (and is also why ESO had an increasing gear cap then).

As of One Tamriel, when ESO launches new content, the mobs are automatically scaled to the same level as all other mobs in the game. You don't need new gear to complete the new content. However, raising the gear cap would mean that all old content becomes inaccessible to the player until they've farmed gear at the new gear cap. When WoW increase the gear cap, old content is still accessible, it's only new content that requires new gear. This alone makes it impossible to increase the gear cap without breaking the game for everyone.

"But I want to become stronger, and I can only become stronger with higher level gear."

This statement is also incorrect. Gear levels do not make you stronger in ESO because mobs scale to the max gear level. Therefore, if the gear cap were raised to CP180 (for example), all mobs would be scaled to CP180. This means that all your stats would be increased 1:1 with mob stats. Your DPS would be identical at CP180 to what it was at CP160. A gear cap increase in ESO is not a means of progression (which is what some people seem to think).

As you can see, a gear cap increase in ESO accomplishes nothing. It isn't needed to unlock new content, nor does it make you more powerful. The only way it could work is if ZOS abandoned One Tamriel, which I highly doubt they will do.

TL;DR Raising the gear cap to CP180 would effectively make current CP160 gear equivalent to CP140 gear - and therefore make doing ANY content almost impossible. (don't believe me? Equip some CP 140 gear and go run a dungeon.)
    Edited by PlagueSD on December 11, 2017 10:26PM
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    maybe
    As a crafter, my maybe stems simply from the materials required to make and improve gear at the new max level. I have 9 characters all wearing CP160 gear (some of which is 'gold') and if that was all rendered obsolete in one day, I would not be happy.

If there was a way to 'upgrade' your current CP160 gear to the new cap without a huge material or gold outlay, or deconstruct any existing capped crafted gear for a higher return of materials, then it might be acceptable.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Yes, but only if they let us upgrade our current gear to the new Cap.
    Regrind and refarming of Gear for the new Cap would be an absolute No-Go
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• Jpk0012
    Jpk0012
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.. just come out with better gear to grind.
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    NO LEVEL CAP INCREASE. EVER.

Say no to meaningless vertical progression. The day they level cap and lock new gear behind the latest "chapter" "saga" or anything else is the day I never log back in even to check my mail.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yes
    We been VR16 cp160 FOREVER

I think it’s time for a change a big one maybe with next chapter. New mats new sets higher base stats on gear.
  • commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    no
    For what?
    Rawr
  • maniac4maniac
    maniac4maniac
    ✭✭✭
    no
    All people that say 'yes' dont rly think about consequences like at all

Get a life, go to gym, find gf, play some other game, like rly, you are addicted if you want gear cap raised only coz you have "nothing to do in eso". Also a lot of people will leave eso with gear cup raised, A LOT, and balance will become even worse
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Hope Not. At least not without a (yet another) new Token Currency:

Upgrade Item CP160 to CP180 = 50 MickyMouse Tokens
    PC
  • Runschei
    Runschei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    No. It wouldn't make any difference at all. It would only require you to farm vma/vdsa again.
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    no
    All people that say 'yes' dont rly think about consequences like at all

Get a life, go to gym, find gf, play some other game, like rly, you are addicted if you want gear cap raised only coz you have "nothing to do in eso". Also a lot of people will leave eso with gear cup raised, A LOT, and balance will become even worse

Exactly.

People are already bored with doing the same repetitive content again and again and leave the game because of that. We would see a massive exodus of players if this was ever introduced. If so, I'm out as well. Without hesitation.

I just don't get why anyone would want a gear cap increase just to mindlessly grind THE SAME gear in THE SAME content they've been playing for a few years. Rather than playing the content they like, doing things they like.

And as many have said: there is also no point in this due to scaling system.

If it ever became a thing, this would be a beginning of the end of ESO.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Nope. Gear cap increase doesn't work in a game with scaling. Been explained a million times already.

See here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/355052/explaining-how-scaling-works-and-why-a-gear-cap-increase-will-never-happen-in-eso/p1?new=1
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    ereboz wrote: »
    I hate that the majority don't want something like this. I'm not sure if raising it to 200, or something would work. But I find the funnest part of an mmo is endless gear progression. In this game once you get BiS gear, that's it, your done until something gets nerfed. There's nothing to do at end game except the same content for no reward

This is the first MMO with scaling. Whenever the gear level goes up, so does the level of every enemy in the game (everything scales 1:1). Therefore, you don't get any stronger with a gear cap increase. Everything stays the same (proportionally, you still do exactly the same damage you did before and take the exact same amount of damage from enemies). That's why people don't want it. It's 100% pointless.

The only people who want it are those who can't wrap their head around the concept of scaling.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on December 12, 2017 10:33AM
  • Neyane
    Neyane
    ✭✭✭✭
    no
    Absolutely not, I will not grind for my armour sets again, what I have now is all in gold. Waste of time, money and resources.
    The most important thing in life is enjoying yourself.
    810+, love trials and dungeons, achievement hunter ♥
    Stormproof on 9 characters and more to come~ Flawless on MagSorc & MagPlar ♥
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    no
    What's even funnier about the thread is the OP's name. Gear grind is not "play for fun" in any regard, unless you have serious problems elsewhere :D
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Bax
    Bax
    ✭✭✭
    no
    Tbh, I actually wouldn't mind if they remove CP gear tiers completely and end at level 50, because:

1.) Gear scales. Level 50 gear on level 50 character is exactly the same as cp 160 gear on cp 160+ character in terms of power. So having new tier of gears which will be exactly the same as current cp 160 at intended levels is pointless. Actually having all this material system is just remnant of pre -one tamriel patch, when different level of gears actually made sense, now it does not.

2.) CPs are shared. That's why I understand gear tiers on levels 1-50 since every character must grind through those. But once you hit 50, you immediately hit CP 160 gear tier as well if you already have CP 160+ character. That means you will skip all the CP gear tiers and hit the max one immediately. That's why I think they should remove CP tiers completely and end at 50.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Should get rid of gear levels altogether.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)