The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Which is best capital city? (Defend your favorite city!)

• Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one where I’m invisible and there’s a lot of solid black silhouettes
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although Rawl'kha is my new crafting point. Honrable mention to Wayrest.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mournhold mainly for the traders.
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I go to Elden Root just because I went there before One Tamriel, old habits die hard.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on which character I play. But, since my forum persona is Telvanni Morgha Kul, I must say Mournhold (though you realize Sadrith Mora is actually the correct answer).

No other capital has a Goddess AND a King (of Resdayn, though the palace is strangely missing, as far as I can tell...).
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like the look and feel of wayrest more like a normal town/city. Plus all my characters are DC so it just feel right. Everything is a little spread out so lots of people moving all around town, makes the game feel more alive.

• anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mournhold is a gem for easy access to most everything you could need!

Except the bank, which is one of the most important services in a town.

Ugh - the bank is what kills Mournhold for me. My favorite city isn't a capital, so if I had to choose one it'd be Elden Root - because of what others have said. Snugpod, stables, easy access to Outlaw Refuge. Wayshrine, undaunted and guild traders - the downside is having to run up to the crating/bank area - but those at least are all in one place once you're there.
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What to expect from a dunmer? Of course its Mournhold in beautiful Deshaan.
    Everything a crafter needed is near by, no doors - except if you have to cook.
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • Eyesinthedrk
    Eyesinthedrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS4

Wayrest:
    aesthetics 5/5
    Layout 2/5
    Trader quality 2/5
    pretty but inconvenient

Eldenroot:
    Aesthetics 3/5
    Layout 1/5
    Trader quality 3/5
    As badly laid out as wayrest but under roof so you’re running most of the time

Mournhold:
    Aesthetics 2/5
    Layout 4/5
    Trader quality 5/5
    Drab and bland but all the top traders, crafting station, writ boards and turn in site right around the wayshrine.

Aesthetically I prefer wayrest with eldenroot not far behind. But that only matters for the first couple times you visit. After 2 years playing it’s all about getting in, getting done and getting out.

• Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jade1986 wrote: »
    I have no idea how people can vote mournhold, its art pales in comparison to Eldenroot. And wayrest is just boring.

You dare hate on the master race capital reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Turelus wrote: »
    Mournhold.

Located in the lands of the greatest race in all of Tamriel.

Iknowrite? You have to put up with the dark elves and nords, but the master race can overlook the pettiness of the inferior races.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elden Root sucks. Takes far too long to get anywhere.

I alternate between Mournhold and Wayrest.

If I just need to pick up/drop off pledges, I choose Wayrest, because the Wayshrine is pretty close to the Undaunted Enclave.

If I also need to clean up inventory, I choose Mournhold, because I can hit the vendors and crafting stations and the bank on the way to the Undaunted Enclave.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    Elden Root sucks. Takes far too long to get anywhere.

I alternate between Mournhold and Wayrest.

If I just need to pick up/drop off pledges, I choose Wayrest, because the Wayshrine is pretty close to the Undaunted Enclave.

If I also need to clean up inventory, I choose Mournhold, because I can hit the vendors and crafting stations and the bank on the way to the Undaunted Enclave.

But it's so much better oraganized and crafting tables are all in one area, dalies mage and fighters guild, and crafting on third floor. Stables right next to snugpod along with outlaw merchant, and master writs guy down the way, and pledge area other way.

I feel like you need a mini map for the other capitals. Too easy to get lost.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although all my characters are currently in Riften since the load times are shorter (less buildings, NPC and players).
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayrest and Daggerfall are equally my favourite. I like the architecture of both. For me, they just feel more like home.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayrest seems more like a city, than an overpopulated town (Mournhold) and an overpopulated trading post (Elden Root). Talking about Elden Root, where do the people even live? Are there any beds in Elden Root, or is it standing room only?
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I turned in the crafting writs in Elden Root last evening on my character who's currently clearing the zones. The turn in point is way outside the city and you can't even ride for 1/3 of the way here since you are inside the tree (the big room where the bank and craft tables are located). No way I would do that on a daily basis, over multiple characters. One of the worst possible setup for a town service-wise.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me it's Vivec City. It is definately not the prettiest of all capital cities, but it is the only one with all crafting stations (and daily writ boards) in one spot, without any of them being seperated from the rest by load doors. And the writ turn in point is also very near.

If I went purely by aesthetics, I couldn't decide between Mournhold and Elden Root.
    Edited by feyii on December 12, 2017 11:42AM
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Mournhold.

Located in the lands of the greatest race in all of Tamriel.

Until the Red Year.

MMMMBOY, AFTER THAT RED YEAR YOUR LIVES START TO -SUCK- M'BOY!
  • Arthg
    Arthg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elden Root's a stump.
    Mournhold's a dump.
    So Wayrest I hump.
    PC/EU. NoCP PvP. sDK Orc IRL. Flawless tamperor. Pro scrub.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Every city in Vvardenfell is a better option, even Seyda Neen
    Edited by TelvanniWizard on December 12, 2017 12:52PM
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mournhold

More practical Craft Stations location + guild traders.

Burn Elden Root >:)
    Edited by Ilithyania on December 12, 2017 12:59PM
    PC
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saarthal
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a crafter, I find Eldenroot too spread out --- it's on multiple levels, and Rolis is down the road. Especially with XBox lag, I hit too many loading screens trying to quickly move about.

Mournhold is _almost_ perfect. Most of the crafting stations, except for a cooking fire, are right there surrounding the Guild traders, and Rolis is right next door. The biggest inconvenience is that the Bank is too damn far. So now that I can return my daily writs at any capital, I park most of my characters in Mournhold, except for the one highest-level crafter that I use to keep my guild stores full up.

Craglorn -- that's where I keep my trading alt. The bank is not too far away, and the in-chat economy to buy and sell bulk crafting materials is the best. If I want to buy stacks of alchemy reagents, etc., there is no better place for a fair deal.

It sounds like Vivec may be someplace I should check out, but I've only ever gone there once in a while to scour the guild traders for motifs and whatnot.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dhalmora in Bal Foyen - all services in one place just no stable which is wrong.
    No need to scout a large area, not much lag like in those 3 main capitals.
    I hate these capitals mainly for the lag, and I simply avoid them at all cost.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say Wayrest because all 9 of my Tamrielans are DC... but I do hang around Mournhold a lot because all the crafting stations and Rolis Hlaalu are all in a central area, unlike Wayrest. So I can say Mournhold is growing on me. But tbh though I'm not that keen on Dunmer architecture.

x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • AtraisMachina2
    Its a city in a tree. End
    XB1-NA AD
    Bosmer Stamina Templar-DD/Tank
    Altmer Magika Sorcerer-DD
    Khajit Stamina Templar-DD
    Redguard Stamina Templar-DD
    Breton Templar-Healer
    Altmer Magika Nightblade-DD
    700+ CP
    Affiliations:
    The Late Shift-GM
    Cooldown
    Abstraqt

• lihentian
    lihentian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "*** hey, sweet lady of Wayrest! *** hey, sweet lady of mine! Oh I'll see you again, yes I'll see you again, sweet lady of Wayrest so fine!"

*hint it is wayrest
  • Eatmyface
    Eatmyface
    ✭✭✭
    jssriot wrote: »
    Elden Root.

--Snugpod
    --Riding stable right next to Snugpod
    --Outlaw refuge easy to get to from Snugpod
    --Guild traders near Snugpod/Wayshrine
    --Undaunted enclave near Snugpod/Watshrine
    --it's a really, big beautiful tree in the middle of a jungle. Beautiful design inside and out. After 2 years of playing, it's still an awesome sight to see.
    --It doesn't feel dreary, dirty and depressing when it's raining like Mournhold and Wayrest do.
    --If it was RL, it'd smell of leaves and wood, while Mournhold would smell of guar dung and Wayrest of Breton dung.
    --Sometimes I rubberband inside the tree but no crappy fps/lag like I usually get in Wayrest

Hey, how do you feel about Snugpod?
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vivic. Important stuff close together and in the open.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanthras79 wrote: »
    Wayrest seems more like a city, than an overpopulated town (Mournhold) and an overpopulated trading post (Elden Root). Talking about Elden Root, where do the people even live? Are there any beds in Elden Root, or is it standing room only?
    If you look on outside you see windows on the tree.