The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which is best capital city? (Defend your favorite city!)

• Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mournhold is a gem for easy access to most everything you could need!
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm AD, but Wayrest it has always been my favorite city in Elder Scrolls lore. Besides, I wouldn't possible be able to say Elden Root is great, since it isn't even a city!

I mean, you look at it from outside and it's glorious... but once you're inside, it sucks... it should've been much more to it than it is. Look at the size of the tree from outside and then look at the space that's actually available inside in game!

And Mournhold... meh, it also pales in comparison to what it must have been according to the lore... that's why I'm hesitant to be hyped about the possibility of a Summerset chapter... lol I foresee a chance in a million they get the stuff right about what the lore says it should be.

Wayrest at least it's a city... and (fairly) a big one at that... I sometimes wish they'd revisit old zones and upgrade assets to be up to quality of DLC stuff... I feel Wayrest should be given a lift up, at least to be up on par to Orsinium city.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm biased since Elden Root was my first capital city, but I love how grand outside and homey inside it is, even if it's annoying to get around. I also like the Valenwood atmosphere. Wayrest would be my second favorite because idk Mournhold doesn't feel cozy or grand.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    badmojo wrote: »
    Recently relocated all my characters to Mournhold due to the positioning of the crafting stations and writ boards surrounding the guild traders and wayshrine. With 14 characters doing writs it saves a substantial amount of my time.

This.

12 of my 14 character are DC, but Mournhold is the place to be for those writs.
  • Storm_knight22
    Storm_knight22
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wayrest, we are a modern city with plumbing,. Have you ever seen a toilet in Elden Root? Nope. Think of where ll their waste is going.

hint: it does not rain nearly as often as people think in grahwood.
    I want spell crafting.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I probably use elden root the most but almost never set foot in the tree. If I have banking to do I will port elsewhere. I just pop into my snuggy pod and do most business with out having to encounter a loading screen. I will go to velyn harbor to bank.
  • TheUndeadAmulet
    TheUndeadAmulet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayrest.

It may be way to big and sometimes include a load screen but I prefer it to dark elves.
    Elden root crashes for me a lot :'(
    Edited by TheUndeadAmulet on December 10, 2017 7:48AM
    XBOX NA 1000+ CP
    nerf ping please
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayrest. It's the only one that even remotely feels like a town. The other two feel like farming villages.

Number of buildings in each town

Eldent Root: 7
    Mournhold: 13
    Wayrest: 43
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except the bank, which is one of the most important services in a town.

The only towns with 100% convenient service placement are Rawl'kha and Vivec City.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on December 10, 2017 8:20AM
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The only towns with 100% convenient service placement are Rawl'kha and Vivec City.

And Stormhold.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely Mournhold.
    Everything is easy to get to. Also, Dunmer.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Im a big EP player but Wayrest actually feels like a city with all its twisting and confusing streets and its cascading levels. Mournhold and Elden Root feel like your traditional basic MMO layout for a "city". I still return to Mournhold because of its ease of access for Crafting and Turn-in Points. But it just doesnt feel like something that is lived in. It feels like a planned strip mall.

This. Mournhold feels like a market place half surrounded by a wall.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elden Root is the most convenient imo. Its visual design isnt exactly awe-inspiring (the idea is great but it shouldve been much more impressive I think) but everything is easy to access (stables, undaunted enclave etc). Wayrest looks better (more like a real town) but the layout is less convenient.
    I get lag spikes and longer-than-usual loadscreens in Mournhold so I dont like it.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on December 10, 2017 12:01PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When you have the Banker, it makes it easier.

The bank in Rawl is sooooooo laggy its miserable D:
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mournhold.
    Wayrest is generic and boring.
    Elden root is a mess and despite interesting idea it is just a huge F tree.

Mournhold has architecture I like, it is in zone I like and has great music.
    On the other hand, Wayrest is complete bs. Architecture looks like any other stupid castle we have seen 1 000 000 times.
    Music is meh, entire zone is nothing special. Add there bretons and it is ruined completely. Only positive thing about it might be its harbour.
    Now, about Elden root. Despite the nice throne room, it is more like elden rot. Middens are terrible place and true face of what dominion is. Also, if you try to do quests for mages/fighters guild, you need to spend too much time running throught that F tree. How would I improve it? Add more entrances to the structure, like shafts that lead directly to fighters/mages guild. Also, not sure about blacksmith stations and other sources of fire inside a tree.

Quests.
    Mournhold have a questline related to law being equal to all citizens. Fighting against Maulborn has been done fine. As one of leaders of Pact, Alemaxia shows that she has a backbone and qualities for that position. I might disagree with lot she and her demigod companions did during their time, but one thing is for sure - they care for their people. If they were anything like Altmers, Tribunal would kill all ashlanders that opposed their claim to godhood. Reminds me of Frank Herbert's The Dune, with complex motivation behind the Worm Emperor.

Wayrest has questline that sadly made me lose all respect for dc and their leader. He is pathetic, whiny, little being that should not lead anyone ever. On the other hand, unlike Tribunal, Emeric is of much shorter lifespan and it might be one of reasons he is scared s***less. I liked the new oblivion realm we saw, and hope we get to see more in the future.

Elden root has interesting questline. It shows us even more how naive is queen of dominion, but her reaction to betrayal of her closest kin is done poorly. What we learned during this quest means little to me, since it is natural for an elven mechanism to proclame an elf fit to rule Tamriel, duh.

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    leeux wrote: »
    I'm AD, but Wayrest it has always been my favorite city in Elder Scrolls lore. Besides, I wouldn't possible be able to say Elden Root is great, since it isn't even a city!

I mean, you look at it from outside and it's glorious... but once you're inside, it sucks... it should've been much more to it than it is. Look at the size of the tree from outside and then look at the space that's actually available inside in game!

And Mournhold... meh, it also pales in comparison to what it must have been according to the lore... that's why I'm hesitant to be hyped about the possibility of a Summerset chapter... lol I foresee a chance in a million they get the stuff right about what the lore says it should be.

Wayrest at least it's a city... and (fairly) a big one at that... I sometimes wish they'd revisit old zones and upgrade assets to be up to quality of DLC stuff... I feel Wayrest should be given a lift up, at least to be up on par to Orsinium city.

I'm curious if Bethesda will learn from CDPR and do cities properly in their next single player TES game. The technology is there now, as we've seen. The huge cities in Witcher 3 added another level of immersion to the game. Novigrad felt like a game on its own, and it was just one of 3 huge cities. We hear about these grand metropolises in the TES lore, and when we get there, we're greeted by 20 NPCs in a walled village consisting of 10 houses. The ESO intro depicts a huge battle with tens of thousands of soldiers. Where do these soldiers live in the game? :tongue:

Wayrest and Abbah's Landing are a step in the right direction (but there is still a long way to go).
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on December 10, 2017 12:42PM
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    England is my city
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious if Bethesda will learn from CDPR and do cities properly in their next single player TES game. The technology is there now, as we've seen. The huge cities in Witcher 3 added another level of immersion to the game. Novigrad felt like a game on its own, and it was just one of 3 huge cities. We hear about these grand metropolises in the TES lore, and when we get there, we're greeted by 20 NPCs in a walled village consisting of 10 houses. The ESO intro depicts a huge battle with tens of thousands of soldiers. Where do these soldiers live in the game? :tongue:

Wayrest and Abbah's Landing are a step in the right direction (but there is still a long way to go).

What I really admire about Witcher 3 cities is not so much their size (which is a strong point too!), but the fact they have *TONS* of NPCs doing all kinds of stuff everywhere :) In comparison, ESO cities are kind of static... most NPCs don't do anything and the few that move around are just "props", so to speak. Hope they'll enhance that aspect at some point too.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    T4T2FR34K wrote: »
    Vivic is the best, bar none...everything...I mean EVERYTHING is right there...its perfect and about time honestly.

Almost true but there's no Undaunted guild in Vivec City. Every time you make a new character now that its Morrowind, you have to actually go travel to your home faction and pick up Undaunted. Its a little bit screwy and I hope they come around to fixing that.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Its in your imagination.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elden Root is really breathtaking and unique; Wayrest is pretty, nothing spectacular, but it's spacious, and I find the atmosphere bright and cheery there. Mournhold is impressive, though it's not my cup of tea architecturally, and I am always getting lost in it (to the point that I need the mark the map to get back to the wayshrine :lol:). In terms of other cities, I find Skywatch, Davon's Watch, Kvatch, the Hollow City, and the Imperial City (if these last two weren't in Coldharour/infested by daedra) very beautiful - but none beat Rawl'kha for convenience :smile:
  • BlanketFort
    BlanketFort
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mournhold. Wayshrine right into the middle of a circle of traders, close crafting stations nearby, lots of players to stalk, and with the HotR update: very close writ drop-off!
    My go-to spot for quick and easy inventory dump and writs.
  • Rawst
    Rawst
    ✭✭✭
    Shornhelm. As in the, uh, capital of Rivenspire. All facilities that I need are close to the wayshrine. Nice city all around.
    Out of the three alliance capitals, I like how Elden Root looks but it's just not convenient for me. Wayrest is a "real" city as others have mentioned, has a nice atmosphere, best alliance capital. Also one of the few cities where you can actually live inside the walls, and not in a small hole. I don't really like Mournhold, buildings too pointy, flora too mushroomy, citizens too dark elf-y.

But my favourite city will always be Anvil.
    Beasts in amber! Wake and remember!
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elden Root for me. I have snugpod and it's an easy port with everything right there. I've got it down to a loop that I run to get my writs , training, loot fencing all done.
  • maniac4maniac
    maniac4maniac
    ✭✭✭
    In a matter of practice:

1. Vivec definitly

2. then Mournhold

In any other - personal choice -
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My heart is always with High Rock, so Wayrest. Also, Orcish capital, Orsinium, is fascinating.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • KeiruNicrom
    KeiruNicrom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PRAISE ORSINIUM!!
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aesthetically, Elden Root. Always end up in AD zones whenever I'm crafting or whatever even tho I'm EP.

Practically, it has to be Mournhold tho. Just because everything apart from the bank and Undaunted is all together. Wayrest is too spread out and Elden Root has loading screens everywhere!

Although I always used to hang out in Reaper's March until Morrowind and now I'm always in Vivec City unless I'm actively focused on doing pledges - only thing missing from first area is a dye station. If it had an Undaunted Enclave I'd never leave!
    PS4 EU
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wayrest. Home of dueling in Tamriel and Scipio’s home. Good restaurants too.
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mournhold has the shortest routes from crafting stations to writ NPC. Therefore: is the best.