The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

PSA - Fake tanks get a clue: kiting is not tanking

Iselin
Iselin
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Yes we get that you are the most clever person playing ESO and you invented a new way to jump to the front of the queue that no one else has ever thought of. We get that a core part of your religion is the belief that tanks are not needed in dungeons and that taunting is for wusses.

But if you can't hold the boss still in one spot an insist on kiting him/her around the room like a scared little girl forcing me to keep recasting my expensive ground DOTs or HOTs, you're getting kicked... no exceptions.

L2 pretend tank. You've been warned.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they were just trying to do some cardio whilst tanking?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • SammyFable
    SammyFable
    ✭✭✭✭
    This behaviour is also seen on most world bosses.
    Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Tick Tock Terrorist Tormentor
    Immortal Memer
    Gryphon Heart
  • Mazbt
    Mazbt
    ✭✭✭✭
    These type of posts are popping up so often lol. Yes it's annoying when someone's kiting around the boss and your grounds dost are wasted. No it's not detrimental to completing most of the normal or veteran dungeons. You take more time in queue looking for a real tank.
    Mazari the Resurrected (AD)- PVP stamplar main
    Maz the Druid - PVP group stam warden
    - many others
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mazbt wrote: »
    These type of posts are popping up so often lol. Yes it's annoying when someone's kiting around the boss and your grounds dost are wasted. No it's not detrimental to completing most of the normal or veteran dungeons. You take more time in queue looking for a real tank.

Well, just between you and me, and if you quote me I'll deny it... after we kick those guys the 3 of us left can do it faster without the kiter :)
  • Ertthewolf
    Ertthewolf
    ✭✭✭
    I hate dps that can't do a rotation while moving....Quit learning on a target skeleton :P

Anyway this doesn't matter unless you are a trial goer. I can solo most Vet dungeons....Everyone quit complaining about how everyone else plays because you rely on a META group to carry you....

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question I have is why keep casting the ground AoE if he keeps moving the boss? Regardless of how hard the AoE hits it will be rather weak if the boss is not in it long.
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So done with all these tank QQ post if you want people to tank your way teach them or do it yourself. I PuG dailies with no problem and jump in as a trail tank for friends here and there. Everyone’s always happy that you tanked for them but no one wants to make a Tank themselves.

Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    The question I have is why keep casting the ground AoE if he keeps moving the boss? Regardless of how hard the AoE hits it will be rather weak if the boss is not in it long.

Because I'm an optimist and I keep thinking he's bound to stop with 3 people typing "QUIT KITING!"
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So done with all these tank QQ post if you want people to tank your way teach them or do it yourself. I PuG dailies with no problem and jump in as a trail tank for friends here and there. Everyone’s always happy that you tanked for them but no one wants to make a Tank themselves.

But the question is are you a kiter or do you stand there and take it like a man?
  • CrazyWolf712
    CrazyWolf712
    ✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »

Because I'm an optimist and I keep thinking he's bound to stop with 3 people typing "QUIT KITING!"

Some bosses require a little kiting. If you were tanking Velidreth, are you just going to stand there in her heavy attack as the health stealing orbs keep hitting you and taking away your ability to heal? No! Even a tank needs to move out of bad stuff, especially if they are out of resources and the healer’s dead.
    Edited by CrazyWolf712 on November 4, 2017 12:06AM
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ertthewolf wrote: »
    I hate dps that can't do a rotation while moving....Quit learning on a target skeleton :P

Anyway this doesn't matter unless you are a trial goer. I can solo most Vet dungeons....Everyone quit complaining about how everyone else plays because you rely on a META group to carry you....

A rotation where most rely heavily on ground based aoe dots like blockade, eruption, LL etc. Not to mention ultimates.

My 'favourite' thing ever is when some idiot (tank healer or dps) thinks kiting is a good idea over blocking till the tank gets control and runs them straight out of my standard or ele rage as soon as I drop it.

Or a tank that moves and the boss is like 1m outside of an ulti and stands there.
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure if you're okay with 8k+ less dps from each DD. But then I guess we'll see more of the whining posts about low dps.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Some bosses require a little kiting. If you were tanking Velidreth, are you just going to stand there in her heavy attack as the health stealing orbs keep hitting you and taking away your ability to heal? No! Even a tank needs to move out of bad stuff, especially if they are out of resources and the healer’s dead.

There ARE exceptions to every rule... The Planar Inhibitor also, of course.

But the thing is, I can heal you through most stuff including the Engine Guardian's green phase if you just stop running away from my heals.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SammyFable wrote: »
    This behaviour is also seen on most world bosses.
    World bosses zergs don't have an designated tank.
    Dungeons have. Note that its recommended for DD or healer to kite boss if having agro.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Ertthewolf
    Ertthewolf
    ✭✭✭
    Kanar wrote: »

Sure if you're okay with 8k+ less dps from each DD. But then I guess we'll see more of the whining posts about low dps.

I really could care less if a boss dies in 30 seconds or several minutes. People are different skill levels. They learn to play by clearing content with veteran players. Teaching them is more productive then saying "deeps suck!" Or "tank can you actually taunt!!" People who QQ should stay out of pug groups.
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's CLEARLY not what the OP was describing, now was it?
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disregard, misunderstood the quoted poster.
    Edited by witchdoctor on November 4, 2017 12:38AM
  • CherryCake
    CherryCake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, most dungeons can be easily finished with only dds, sure there is the exception, but I see no harm in a person queuing as a tank/healer when they arent. Stop depending on others.
    I like sweetrolls and I cannot lie
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, most dungeons can be easily finished with only dds, sure there is the exception, but I see no harm in a person queuing as a tank/healer when they arent. Stop depending on others.

Just those 3 who may have wanted a real healer or tank. But F them, amiright?!
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

4 dps can complete most content yes, but that's not the really the point.
    If you queue as a tank, or any role, you are agreeing to perform the duties of that role.

In pre made groups you can do whatever you want. But if pugging you should at least perform the basics of your role.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes we get that you are the most clever person playing ESO and you invented a new way to jump to the front of the queue that no one else has ever thought of. We get that a core part of your religion is the belief that tanks are not needed in dungeons and that taunting is for wusses.

But if you can't hold the boss still in one spot an insist on kiting him/her around the room like a scared little girl forcing me to keep recasting my expensive ground DOTs or HOTs, you're getting kicked... no exceptions.

I support this message.

There are few things more annoying on this game than trying to heal someone who keeps running all over the place.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The lack of reading comprehension in this thread is really depressing when some see it as QQing and others talk about co-dependence lol.

If you read at the very least the 5th post in this thread you'll see I already acknowledged that the 3 of us left over: I.E. 2 DPS + 1 HEALER/DPS could actually do the content faster once the 4th annoying kiter went poof.

And the OP, pretty well acknowledges that fake tanks are a thing. It's just that as fake tanks go, some are OK and the kiters suck.

What more do you guys want? You want to to be officially praised for your selfless service to ESO? Ain't gonna happen you freaking Q jumpers :)
    Edited by Iselin on November 4, 2017 1:02AM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There ARE exceptions to every rule... The Planar Inhibitor also, of course.

But the thing is, I can heal you through most stuff including the Engine Guardian's green phase if you just stop running away from my heals.

Oh yes...that fight when some groups make you play hide and seek to heal them.

I eventually had enough of that. For now on when ever I do Engine Guardian I tell the group I will be positioned behind the boss and if they want my heals that is where I'll be. And ever since I did that I don't believe there has been a time since I have had much trouble with it.
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭

This is not a Public Service Announcement. It is a self-serving announcement.
  • Isangrim
    Isangrim
    Soul Shriven
    Solution: remove group finder.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a tank means that you use a taunt, you hold boss aggro, and you don't die.

Being a good tank means taunting, holding boss aggro, staying alive, holding the boss more or less still or your DPS (obvious exceptions excepted), debuffing the boss, buffing the group, and providing crowd control.

You don't have to be a good tank to complete most dungeons, but when you kite the troll boss who's the first boss in Direfrost Keep around the room on a Normal difficulty, pardon me if I question your tanking ability. If you have a moderately decent tank build, you can stand and take it with the help of your healer even if your healer is rolling her eyes at how squishy you are. Besides, the quicker the DPS can kill the boss, the less you have to tank the boss' hits.

Or other words, you can kite the boss all you want when its not a necessary strategy, but that's not going to endear you to your party because you are making the DPS and the healer waste resources chasing you and the boss.
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But the question is are you a kiter or do you stand there and take it like a man?

I face Tank, pull agro taunt the boss then big guys and I talons who I can in place so DPS can AoE nuke. But I don’t run gear for the team I group up targets and they knock them down. I have Warhorn and Barrier. If all is good I blow the horn. If DPS is low or healer is not cutting it I drop a Barrier.

I refuse to wear gear that help other people more then my build. Like Ebon if you like the 1k changing literally one big armor enchant will do it for you. People are lazy in this game want you to give them a bonus they can get themselves but it would take away from their pure DPS.

My tank can and has stayed up when the whole wiped. I walked the boss to their body Rez them raise and repeat. My healer keeps HoTs and ground based HoTs down 24/7. With some DPS and Jesus Beam on the back bar for when my group is fully healed. My DPS don’t stand in stupid, has self heals and can sustain.

If you see someone not playing their role right talk to them. I know PvP players above the cap that never hit one dungeon. Anyone can be new to this and anyone willing to listen can be helped. If you took the time to help and teach you would leave the game better then you found it.

Just saying pointing at problems with no real solution is called complaining. Without a solution complaining is pointless.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I face Tank, pull agro taunt the boss then big guys and I talons who I can in place so DPS can AoE nuke. But I don’t run gear for the team I group up targets and they knock them down. I have Warhorn and Barrier. If all is good I blow the horn. If DPS is low or healer is not cutting it I drop a Barrier.

I refuse to wear gear that help other people more then my build. Like Ebon if you like the 1k changing literally one big armor enchant will do it for you. People are lazy in this game want you to give them a bonus they can get themselves but it would take away from their pure DPS.

My tank can and has stayed up when the whole wiped. I walked the boss to their body Rez them raise and repeat. My healer keeps HoTs and ground based HoTs down 24/7. With some DPS and Jesus Beam on the back bar for when my group is fully healed. My DPS don’t stand in stupid, has self heals and can sustain.

If you see someone not playing their role right talk to them. I know PvP players above the cap that never hit one dungeon. Anyone can be new to this and anyone willing to listen can be helped. If you took the time to help and teach you would leave the game better then you found it.

Just saying pointing at problems with no real solution is called complaining. Without a solution complaining is pointless.

Raising awareness of why kiting as a tank is generally a bad idea through the use of some humorous ridicule (as I thought I had done) in a forum post reaches a lot more potentially bad tanks than anything else I can think of.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what happens when you pidgeonhole tanking so badly it isn't fun to run anymore.
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The fake tank thing has become the norm rather than the exception lately and it can be very annoying but....
    I used to be firmly in the instakick campaign until somebody pointed out to me while in a pug that I would probably still be queuing with my dd if I wanted to wait for a real tank!
    It then occurred to my that the recent reduction in dd queue times seems directly related to the recent surge in fake tanks.
    I don't mind admitting when I was wrong in my views
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.