The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Planar inhibitor tanking help. What's the secret?

Eyesinthedrk
Eyesinthedrk
✭✭✭✭✭
I can hold her and absorb everything with no problems. Then the instant she hits blue phase, even with full health, full stam, holding block and healer in tow, I'm dead in less than a second.

So what's the secret?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run away from blue fire. Juggle the boss by alternating pinion with someone else until the blue fire ends.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Blue fire is DEATH, like Wrath said, you need to swap who has the pinions ASAP and run around with her until next person picks up the pinion ASAP.

And of course when that happens also be ready to help with killing portals cause if you dont have the pinion you can get them. Easiest way to do this fight is for everyone to alternate it equally. If you have strong DPS and if you build very Tanky you can stack and burn it until blue phase with just the tank holding the pinion.
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    or let the hardened ward spamming mag sorc hold the boss as long as he can, then rez fast
  • pepsi104104
    pepsi104104
    Soul Shriven
    We measured her damage the other day and looks like if you don't swap the pinion in your group, her damage will increase over time
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So there's three main mechanics. There's the pinion-swapping-aggro thing, there's the portal, and there's the orange fire vs blue fire.

Pinion swapping and portals aren't too bad.

I had issues with tanking her on the blue fire phases until I figured out that I needed to kite her during that phase. Let me tell you, it feels weird to be the tank and kiting the boss, but I could not stand, block, and tank her like I normal would because she'd kill me in a couple of seconds. Kiting her until she went back to the orange fire stage worked even though it made for slower DPS since she was moving around.

Others may have better strategies, that one worked for me.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kiting her until she went back to the orange fire stage worked even though it made for slower DPS since she was moving around.
    People dying slows DPS even more.

This is how the mechanic works: when she's blue, she kills anyone she touches. Period. The damage is oblivion damage, can't be mitigated, and will bypass shielding. Kiting her while blue is mandatory on both normal and vet.

Furthermore, she will snare you the longer she chases you while blue, and eventually she will completely immobilize you, so it is impossible for someone to single-handedly kite her for the entire duration of the blue phase (except maybe a sorc using streak to bypass her snare/root), which is why people must take turns on the pinion during blue phase (yes, you need to do this even if you have portal vision)--the idea is that you ping-pong he boss between opposite sides of the room, never allowing the boss to catch whoever she's chasing.

When she's not blue, however, she will place a DoT on the person who has the pinion. The longer they hold the pinion, the stronger that DoT becomes. The DoT resets after the end of a blue phase. The original strategy before various nerfs to vWGT was for people to alternate pinion even outside of blue phase because it was very hard to survive the DoT when it's at its maximum intensity. These days, though, it's relatively easy for a tank to survive it (but they will require a lot of healer support), so the usual strategy nowadays is for the tank to hold the pinion for the entire orange phase, and then for players to take turns with the pinion until the blue phase ends, at which point the tank will take the pinion and repeat the cycle. Out of the Frying Pan is the achievement that you get if you let the DoT reach maximum intensity without dying.
    Edited by code65536 on October 22, 2017 3:50PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Kiting her until she went back to the orange fire stage worked even though it made for slower DPS since she was moving around.
    People dying slows DPS even more.

Hence, why I started kiting her. I didn't realize I needed to until I learned from experience that she burns my tank to a crisp if I didn't kite her.

Thanks for the really detailed layout of how the blue fire phase works in tandem with all the other phases. Great summary!
  • Eyesinthedrk
    Eyesinthedrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the info guys.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible for one person to kite her the whole blue phase if that person is a sorc with streak
    Edited by greylox on October 23, 2017 9:07AM
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just take the first pinion, stand still with her and nuke her. She'll be dead roughly around a few seconds into the first blue phase if your dps are good enough - Ignore any portals.

You can tank for a little bit when she's blue, it's not an instant death by any means - not even close.
    Edited by BNOC on October 23, 2017 11:36AM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)