The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Poll on Crown crates plus cautionary tale

Megabear
Megabear
✭✭✭✭✭
In the Crown Store & ESO Plus sub-forum there is a cautionary tale of a man that purchased about 1130 crown crates and did not received the plague husk horse he wanted. That's $2690.30 even if he purchased them through 21000 Crown packs and $1,642.95 even if ALL crowns spent were purchased during crown sale. He had 30K leftover but those are crowns he paid for as well, probably purchased during crown sale. Link below for reference.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/374682/the-tale-of-1000-crates-and-the-missing-plague-husk-horse/p1

I've never purchased crown crates myself and I had guessed that not many do. This post changed that perspective and I'd like to see if the forum community has tossed the dice or not. How many crown crates have you purchased this year alone so far?
Edited by Megabear on October 9, 2017 5:00PM
Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
Server - PC/NA
Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton

Poll on Crown crates plus cautionary tale 277 votes

None at all.
41%
SirAndykevlarto_ESOSlurgagabahmeatshieldb14_ESOalenae1b14_ESOcalitrumanb14_ESOMercyKillingDarcyMardinmissjackieb14_ESOpatplaysArizona_SteveDanikatDarkstornemirta000b16_ESOAlienSlofSotha_SilPurpleDrankShareeczarDelgent 114 votes
1 to 50
39%
NestorKarius_ImaltharDeadlyRecluseSBCBelegnoledeepseamk20b14_ESOArobainterovian2000b14_ESOWhatelse73b14_ESOYulsninibiniTryxusMaythorzariathomas1970b16_ESOstatic_rechargeedopeyThestephenmcraeub17_ESOstojekarcub18_ESOAlex_Lex 110 votes
51 to 100
10%
Sorianak9mouseOsteosstarkerealmTavore1138pinkempyrealThaumickamimarkFearlessOne_2014CzeriEasily_LostSSlargLexxypwnsOeildefeu91OutLaw_NynxjeedrzejRagnorkFluffyReachWitchplatonicidealgirlfriendMAEK 28 votes
101 to 200
6%
vailjohn_ESOBrocknarMithoronvrineJasonSilverSpringLoralai_907SkoomahArundogreyloxlagrueVoodooPlatypusDPShiroCyron74necr0oHippie4927StonyfootElfKittyEatmyface 18 votes
201 to 300
1%
SheezabeastDasovaruilosStrawberryKitsune 3 votes
301 to 400
0%
Galenus_of_Pergamon 1 vote
401 to 600
0%
esp1992 1 vote
601 to 800
0%
801 to 1000
0%
1001 to infinity
0%
HanokihsBeardimus 2 votes
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None at all.
    I'm crazy, but not THAT crazy.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 to 50
    I usually buy some every time we get new ones. Most of the time I buy 8 to 15. No way I'm going to get more than that.
  • themaddaedra
    themaddaedra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's something called "crown gems" and nobody would have to open that many crates for a mount. Rare new mounts in crown crates cost 400 gems and with a maximum of 100 crates opened you should have enough gems to buy the exact mount you want.

Edit: nvm apparently there's one you can't buy via gems.
    Edited by themaddaedra on October 9, 2017 10:22PM
    PC|EU
  • beetleklee
    beetleklee
    ✭✭✭✭
    51 to 100
    I think I bought like 45 from the Halloween ones, and like 15 from Dwarven.
    PC NA
    CP 690

EP Dunmer MagDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer MagSorc Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Argonian DK Tank Level 50, Boethiah's Scythe
    EP Breton Templar Healer Level 50
    EP Khajiit StamDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer Magblade Level 50, Assistant Alienist
    EP Argonian Stamden Level 50, Lady of Misrule (pvp)
    EP Dunmer Stamblade Level 50
    DC Redguard Stamplar
    AD Altmer Magwarden Healer

vMA, vDSA, vSO HM, vHRC HM, vAA, vAS+1, vMoL
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1 to 50
    There's something called "crown gems" and nobody would have to open that many crates for a mount. Rare new mounts in crown crates cost 400 gems and with a maximum of 100 crates opened you should have enough gems to buy the exact mount you want.

The past 2 cycles of crates include mounts that cannot be bought with gems and have an even lower drop rate.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None at all.
    I used the free 3 crates we got and actually ended up with the Lynx which was the only pet i was even remotely interested in.

I will never buy any crates with real money ...
    shades.gif
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1 to 50
    If there are things I REALLY want and can afford it, I'll purchase some. Unfortunately, there's not much I want in Reaper's, and couldn't afford it anyway.

HUh, guess I clicked wrong button - meant 50-100. I generally buy, at most, 30 from a season, except Dwemer, because there was so much I wanted in those crates.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on October 9, 2017 5:20PM
  • Cynnalia
    Cynnalia
    ✭✭✭
    1 to 50
    I buy 15 crates at the beginning of each season with sub Crowns. That's it. The first two seasons I got an apex mount, but the last two seasons I have not. I didn't care last season because I didn't like the dwemer mounts, but I'm a little sad not to get a skeleton mount this time around. Ah well...I'll live. lol
    NA PS4 Daggerfall Covenant Characters -- CP 755

Sulin Shadowdancer -- Redguard Nightblade -- Dragonstar Arena Champion, General Executioner, Tamriel Hero
    Ysorya Traven - Breton Sorcerer -- Monster Hunter, Master Angler, Explorer, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Tamriel Hero
    Eriah A'kiranya-- Redguard Dragon Knight, tank
    Sybilline Travadon -- Altmer Templar -- Maelstrom Arena Champion
    At-Sixes-and-Sevens -- Argonian Templar, healer
    Mercurial Malice -- Dunmer Nightblade
    Fern Gullie -- Bosmer Warden, level 45
    Ghareshi-ri - Khajiit, Necromancer, level 9
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 to 50
    I will buy a 15 pack with each new offering. I don't chase rare mounts, most of them are not appealing to me anyway. I am more concerned with Character Appearance, Experience Scrolls or Pets than mounts.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 to 50
    Theoretically I could buy them from time to time, but the majority of drops are just bad - low effort, useless items. Some of them are just ugly, such as dwemer sack hat, or costumes that look like lvl 10 armor. Why would I need that Dominion scout armor if I can just wear a disguise from Auridon quest?
    Also, gems need a buff: would be great if they would add an ability to convert every drop into gems, simply because some players prefer pvp/trials and cant use vanity pets, some of them dont play female (or drag queen) characters and dont need female outfits and makeup, some people play as vampires and cant use makeup and tattoos, etc.. And I think that gem returns should be increased. Its already bad enough that they have items that arent available in gem shop.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on October 9, 2017 5:27PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Karius_Imalthar
    Karius_Imalthar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 to 50
    I've been buying one 15 pack each season. I've never gotten an apex mount but I've gotten some unique and interesting items. I've also been able to get a few things I did want using the crown gems.
    Edited by Karius_Imalthar on October 9, 2017 5:33PM
  • themaddaedra
    themaddaedra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The past 2 cycles of crates include mounts that cannot be bought with gems and have an even lower drop rate.

Never heard such a thing and newer seen a crown session mount anywhere which is not obtainable via gems.
    PC|EU
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    None at all.
    I will never purchase them ever. I have only gotten the 4 free ones (1 from Morrowind and 3 from the event last week), deconned every consumable item from those and bought a few XP scrolls with the gems. I have 0 gems right now and I'm happy about that.
    Edited by Asardes on October 9, 2017 6:00PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have tried to blacklist crates but have probably bought 20 on all the seasons plus the free ones and never received a mount.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None at all.
    I knew from other games that these RNG boxes are always a bad deal for customers - especially if you want specific items. I also tested the drop rate and collected data from other people when the first lot were on the PTS so I knew exactly how bad they were, and from what I've seen the more recent crates have been at least as bad.

I will quite happily spend money for a direct sale (if it's something I want at a price I think is reasonable). I'm expecting to buy all 4 shadowghost mounts this month, and I'm tempted to get the house too and maybe some other stuff. But I won't pay out real money for a chance to obtain items I want, especially when I know that chance is deliberately set very low to get people to spend far more than they would for a direct sale.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Dragath
    Dragath
    ✭✭✭✭
    1 to 50

Never heard such a thing and newer seen a crown session mount anywhere which is not obtainable via gems.

its true.
    if you want an example, go look for the plague husk horse.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used my monthly ESO+ crowns on maybe 20 crates total since they were introduced. I'd never buy crowns specifically to buy crates. The rewards are just not worth it. With that being said, I really wish they would stop putting rewards in the boxes that you can't purchase with crown gems. The entire point of the system is to have a light at the end of the tunnel when RNG fails you. Having items that you can't acquire this way feels shady and is a massive turnoff for me. This combined with ZOS never releasing odds of winning means the whole thing feels like a giant scam. What are they trying to hide by not officially releasing odds of winning? If the system is fair, they'd have no reason to hide this information.
  • Belyar
    Belyar
    ✭✭✭
    1 to 50
    Only buying them from the crowns I'm getting monthly.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None at all.
    I'm sorry, but only a fool or a gambling addict would spend that kind of money.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 to 50
    I bought about 30 of those Wild Hunt crates, cuz most of the stuff looked really good when I rerolled my main to Warden

And I got the mount that I wanted: Wild Hunt Bear. Though that one was really just a bonus
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None at all.
    I do not buy crates, do not participate in microtransactions and do not touch "games" that have them. I simply can not stand this crap anymore and wish it went away, but that will not happen. Sick corporate miscreants have won and the only consolation can be found in that they will eventually feed gambling and scams to their own kids.
    Edited by JamilaRaj on October 9, 2017 5:55PM
  • Balamoor
    Balamoor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blah blah blah crates are evil Blah blah blah Gambling
    Blah blah if you buy them you'll go blind blah blah usual nonsense.

Next.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    101 to 200

Plague Horse is hidden and can't be purchased for gems.
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None at all.
    I have nothing against Crown Crates, I just have no interest in them. I opened the free ones recently and had I paid for them I would have considered the contents fair value for money, as was the case when they were first introduced and I bought 4 just to see what the fuss was all about. However, cosmetic and fluff items don't excite me.

As an extra source of revenue to contribute to the development costs of the game, however, I am totally relaxed about them. As for the argument that they feed the gambling habit of the weak and vulnerable that is (a) patronising and (b) ignoring the fact that such players walk past lottery ticket stores every day of the week and this is no different.
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 to 50
    I bought 12 to get the elven hero costume, got 130 gems out of it and bought the costume and some other stuff with that, that's pretty much it, nothing else interested me in the crates. I don't see anything in the new crown crates that I actually want either.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    101 to 200
    I buy minimum of 45 per season, sometimes as many as 60 but never more. I had really great luck 3 out of 4 seasons so far. Even got one of the hidden mounts this time around, no complaints.

If you don't go into crates looking for a specific item, they're by far better value than anything else on the crown store. ZOS has released mounts that cost 4500 Crowns before... by the same token you can buy 15 crates for 5000 and are almost assured to get multiple pets, mounts and other goodies.

Crown Crates are great value. It's when you do like this one guy and hunt down that one item in which you'll leave disappointed.
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None at all.
    None.

To top that, I have free Crown Crates that have been given to me by ZOS that are unopened.

Crown Crates do have great value, until you open them!
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Hammy01
    Hammy01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 to 50
    I for one am glad there are people like him so that those of us with a lot less money to spend can spend it other places! At most ZOS made 2700$ off of him but they probably lost a whole lot more because of their greed. I for one would have bought all the apex mounts at set prices but i am not gambling my beer fund away for some very rare mount!!
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None at all.
    I dont mind or judge them. With "Crappy RNG" being a hot topic thruout the history of eso, i find them, ... amusing xD
    If it helps keeping the game running, im okay with them.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    None at all.
    I have 14/14 slots bought, I sub now so I won't buy any DLCs. I'm thinking of holding onto sub crowns to buy in game houses with them. But no way I'll ever buy crates. I hate the hell out of RNG in this game and although I would throw some of my leisure time at it farming gear, I wouldn't throw my IRL money on RNG fluff. I use in game dropped pets or the ones that came with the DLCs. Same goes with costumes and mounts. I want a normal, decent look on my chars, not a drag queen riding a bunch of electrified boulders linked with vines kinda look.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |