The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Tale of 1000 Crates and the Missing Plague Husk Horse

• Sant1ago88
    Sant1ago88
    ✭✭
    Can feel ur pain bro. I was open 60 crates and get only skeletal bear mount..
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sant1ago88 wrote: »
    Can feel ur pain bro. I was open 60 crates and get only skeletal bear mount..

I opened 30 and got a lioness, atleast yours was a 400 gem mount lol :)
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peekachu99 wrote: »
    1130ish, actually, give or take a few.
    unsure.gif

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who wants crates removed from the game, OP just over ruled your oppinions for a full year. Crates are most surely staying around for a long time.

I have to ask OP, his long did it take yo to open all those crates?
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    If only ESO had stayed a pay to play game. I was spending way more than my ESO + crowns on the store but now with stuff I can't even buy with gems, I am spending less and less.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Anyone who wants crates removed from the game, OP just over ruled your oppinions for a full year. Crates are most surely staying around for a long time.

I have to ask OP, his long did it take yo to open all those crates?

To be fair, there will be more people who have and will do similar during past, present and future crate seasons. Laying it mostly on the OP is a tad unfair. I suspect most of these people are too embarrassed to divulge the amount of cash they plough into crates or don't think it's anyone's business other than their own what they do with their own cash. Both are valid assumptions.

I also suspect there will be some people who claim to have the disposable income when in reality they don't and will go into debt. where's there's some form of gambling there's inevitably deluded debt ridden people.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rohamad_Ali

Two working professionals, no mortgage (denied ourselves every pleasure for 5 years to double up on payments), a carry over from tax sharing (in Canada, dead circa 2014). It’s not magic or a mystery.

But anyway, there are so many memes and value judgments in this thread that I’m going to leave it to the wolves now. We all get enjoyment from different things in life and it’s really no one else’s place to say what those things are so long as why’re not illegal or unethical (that could be debatable here). Peace and see y’all in Tamriel (not on a plague husk horse :) )

So the secret to success is to move to Canada and as far away from Los Angelos as possible , copy that .
  • Malacthulhu
    Malacthulhu
    ✭✭✭✭
    senhavran wrote: »
    If only ESO had stayed a pay to play game. I was spending way more than my ESO + crowns on the store but now with stuff I can't even buy with gems, I am spending less and less.

The crappy thing is that they have no rewards for long term subscribers bc they have a good portion of the playerbase hijacked with crafting bag double bank space and a combination poor itemization and a lot of things that should be stackable but are not. So they will focus more on crates and limited time pixel crack. I bet they make more off crates then dlc content which is concerning.
    Edited by Malacthulhu on October 6, 2017 10:43PM
    Xbox One Na
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The missus would not approve :|
  • Eatmyface
    Eatmyface
    ✭✭✭
    It has crossed my mind a number of times that they aren't as 'random' as everyone perceives...

I bought 75 of the reapers harvest crates, just because I had some 'free' cash (gift vouchers that could be used online) and liked a good amount of the stuff. Before this I had never paid for a crate.

What I got:
    - 3 skeletal mounts (no rare's though)
    - 2/3 motif's (I got B.A 3 times)
    - all bar two of the 100 gem items
    - all of the 40 gem items
    - almost 1000 gems left over to spend next season

I was pretty damn pleased with this haul. After knowing full well what I was getting myself into I didn't expect to get half of what I got. I've seen videos on youtube where players opened 100 odd crates and didn't get a single mount. Most of these players were very high CP and had been posting eso videos for years for years.

Low level players riding their 'rare' mounts around as soon as the free crates dropped.... I wouldn't at all be surprised if there was an algorithm in there to drastically increase drop chances for players who: A) had never bought crates before, &/or B) were relatively new to the game.
  • Walks_With_Kagouti
    But what if... like.. the next crate he bought... gave him the horse

"Bend your knee to me, I'll give you a minion for each enemy you've slain. You will have an army.
    -Lord Molag Bal

The armies of Molag Bal are upon you! Submit to my masters rule!
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see this discussion has been moved VERY FAST to the appropriate section while a lot of other threads not general at all are still there in General Section, I wonder why...

lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, as others said, many of us despise people spending big on crates because we (loyal supporters and customers not willing to throw money to the wind and only interested to buy products without gambling) get screwed on items not coming back as regular sales and less variety in the Store.

BUT you did GOOD with this thread, it's a very meaningful warning and I hope MANY can see it and read it.

I wish you to stay strong and resist to the gamble impulse from now on as you also promised to yourself.

Edited by RANKK7 on October 7, 2017 8:18AM
    lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop rates are server side calculations. The thing may have a 1/200 drop rate, but that's not just the drop rate personally for you when the RNG system is server side. Everybody else's rolls are included in the same sample pool making your 1/200 shot more like (1*1130)/(200^entire playerbase number of crates opened).
    You can very easily never ever see that mount, ever. Drop rates need to be balanced very well with code to compensate as well, but I think ZOS doesn't use any weighted chance code to compensate.

Welcome to the horror of probability and RNGesus. RNGesus is as ephemeral as any real life deity.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Motherball wrote: »
    Its almost like people have free will. A fool and his money and all that. Not saying I agree with shady business practices, but its also not like most people aren’t informed on what the likely odds are.

Actually, that's where this enters questionable legality.
    They do not publish the actual odds anywhere I have found and certainly not like lottery tickets where the odds are on the back of the number slips and easily found on the lottery websites. Also, any legal gambling and lottery has to have a certain percentage payout to the gamblers such that private companies end up returning to the gamblers, in winnings, something like 97% of all funds. They make their money in volume. State lotteries are far different but still return a huge sum to the gamblers in winnings.
    All of these are heavily monitored by both 3rd party civilian organizations and the government.

These virtual product cash sinks are not currently monitored when they likely should be and are on a very fast pace towards it happening.

Edit:
    I guess the question comes when, in order to determine if it even follows established gambling laws, they need to determine the value of the items that come from the crates. The more difficult that is the more leeway they have in legality. But, they seem to have sabotaged themselves in this way by allowing everything to have a gem extraction value and most of the items to be purchasable with gems. That could allow us to calculate a fairly accurate return on investment if we had the odds and gem exchange values of every item, or even just the gem exchange values versus the gem cost.
    Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on October 7, 2017 9:44AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're better off taking your three free crates each season and being happy with what you're given. Crowns are certainly better spent on items you are guaranteed to receive. I guess the one positive is that I now have enough gems to purchase anything and everything I could ever want from the crates for the next two years or longer (no-chance-in-Hell mounts and glowing sweetrolls notwithstanding.)

With CWC, they introduced a new currency to the game with a cap on it. It shows that someone there is considering that too much of a currency is not a good thing. I was thinking about what other currencies they might want to cap, and Gems were at the top of that list.

We have to expect that Crown Gems are not the most popular thing at the studio. They were inserted before launch, apparently in response to negative comments, but I have to think they were a reluctant addition. They act to reduce revenue.

I wonder if we can expect a cap on Gems in some future "improved Crown Crate"?

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're better off taking your three free crates each season and being happy with what you're given. Crowns are certainly better spent on items you are guaranteed to receive. I guess the one positive is that I now have enough gems to purchase anything and everything I could ever want from the crates for the next two years or longer (no-chance-in-Hell mounts and glowing sweetrolls notwithstanding.)

With CWC, they introduced a new currency to the game with a cap on it. It shows that someone there is considering that too much of a currency is not a good thing. I was thinking about what other currencies they might want to cap, and Gems were at the top of that list.

We have to expect that Crown Gems are not the most popular thing at the studio. They were inserted before launch, apparently in response to negative comments, but I have to think they were a reluctant addition. They act to reduce revenue.

I wonder if we can expect a cap on Gems in some future "improved Crown Crate"?

They don't need to. With the introduction of the ultra rare apex mounts the whales have something to chase as this thread shows.

Feel sorry for you OP. I got the Cinder wolf in a free crate and the Plague Horse in the 60 crates I bought. Wanted the Frost senche but 60 is my limit for a season.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With CWC, they introduced a new currency to the game with a cap on it. It shows that someone there is considering that too much of a currency is not a good thing.

Actually, they put a cap on it to make it take longer to get all gear changed, because I'm sure you meant transmutation.
    They also double that cap for subscribers and will eventually sell the currency in the crown store like all other crafting related items to encourage more profit. So, this actually is not about too much of a currency but about another incentive to sink cash into virtual items that really shouldn't be so unnecessarily tedious as to make real life tedium at work to earn money to bypass other tedium an acceptable course of action.

I thought we were paying for what we want, not to avoid suffering. I guess this isn't much of a "game" anymore.

Edit:
    Gems are not there to reduce revenue. They're a "token offering" to point to when people claim "this isn't fair" as they can cite the "fact" that you can actually get (almost) everything given enough time. They think that makes it seem enough like not gambling to avoid that stigma and trouble.
    Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on October 7, 2017 10:43AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With CWC, they introduced a new currency to the game with a cap on it. It shows that someone there is considering that too much of a currency is not a good thing.

Actually, they put a cap on it to make it take longer to get all gear changed, because I'm sure you meant transmutation.
    They also double that cap for subscribers and will eventually sell the currency in the crown store like all other crafting related items to encourage more profit. So, this actually is not about too much of a currency but about another incentive to sink cash into virtual items that really shouldn't be so unnecessarily tedious as to make real life tedium at work to earn money to bypass other tedium an acceptable course of action.

I thought we were paying for what we want, not to avoid suffering. I guess this isn't much of a "game" anymore.

Edit:
    Gems are not there to reduce revenue. They're a "token offering" to point to when people claim "this isn't fair" as they can cite the "fact" that you can actually get (almost) everything given enough time. They think that makes it seem enough like not gambling to avoid that stigma and trouble.

I don't disagree about why there is a cap on transmutation. ZOS is nothing if not predictable when it comes to monetization opportunities. My point remains. There is a thought in the studio that currency caps are a good thing. I expect them to expand upon this in the future, and too many Gems is an obvious source of irritation.

The Crown Gems are not there to reduce revenue. That is the effect that they have. They are there, as you indicate, to compensate for RNG bad luck. We know they don't like them simply because they turned around and quickly implemented stuff that cannot be purchased with Gems. I figure they will do one, or all, of three things to "improve" Gems.... (1) devalue them so that you get less, or need more of them, (2) cap them to prevent what the OP did, (3) remove them.
    Edited by Elsonso on October 7, 2017 11:10AM
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit:

I don't disagree about why there is a cap on transmutation. ZOS is nothing if not predictable when it comes to monetization opportunities. My point remains. There is a thought in the studio that currency caps are a good thing. I expect them to expand upon this in the future, and too many Gems is an obvious source of irritation.

The Crown Gems are not there to reduce revenue. That is the effect that they have. They are there, as you indicate, to compensate for RNG bad luck. We know they don't like them simply because they turned around and quickly implemented stuff that cannot be purchased with Gems. I figure they will do one, or all, of three things to "improve" Gems.... (1) devalue them so that you get less, or need more of them, (2) cap them to prevent what the OP did, (3) remove them.

They won't cap the gems. They're a direct real life currency exchange that is the only thing you get from items when you have everything you could possibly use already. They would be signing the search and seizure warrant as soon as they did that.
    They will, however, add more random only items because of those with insane amounts of gems, even though it screws over anybody else who may want the RNG only items but be unable to blow thousands.

They only compensate for RNG slightly as a token gesture to keep the pitchforks and torches at bay.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I bought over 1000 crates I would -at least- hope to get this very rare mount to show others how much I support his game.

whale_with_legs___ballena_con_patas_by_garudoz1-d5n9gva.jpg

I would ride it everywhere and give zero care to what others would think. ;)

Seriousely, I laughed for like an hour after reading this :D
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thinking about it, that’s like 2000 pounds sterling........ holy god in heaven :/

I can just see the discussion with the wife about that, shortly followed by “that” look :#
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking about it, that’s like 2000 pounds sterling........ holy god in heaven :/

I can just see the discussion with the wife about that, shortly followed by “that” look :#

Yeah, that's a ton of cash, alright. OP purchased the Crowns on sale, but still, that is a big wheelbarrow.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that's a ton of cash, alright. OP purchased the Crowns on sale, but still, that is a big wheelbarrow.

Actually, the OP said they had 30K crowns left over from the sale. So, most would have been purchased recently at full price. So, in US dollars that is north of 2,000.
  • SlayerSyrena
    SlayerSyrena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eatmyface wrote: »

Low level players riding their 'rare' mounts around as soon as the free crates dropped.... I wouldn't at all be surprised if there was an algorithm in there to drastically increase drop chances for players who: A) had never bought crates before, &/or B) were relatively new to the game.

I always open my crates on my very low level characters. Might be a coincidence, but I always get mounts when I do this. When I first opened crates on my main, end-game character, I received no mount drops.

Edited by SlayerSyrena on October 7, 2017 3:41PM
    Ebonheart Pact
    All PC/NA, Level 50 * Current Champion Points: 930
    Cyndril - Bosmer Vampire Nightblade - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
    Saryn Duskbringer - Altmer Vampire Sorcerer - Destro and Resto Staves
    Valmion Hlaalu - Dunmer Templar Healer - Resto and Destroy Staves
    Solus Lighthawke - Altmer DK Tank- Sword n' Board and Greatsword
    Stitches-for-Riches - Argonian Templar Healer- Resto
    Ashiran Zahuluu - Dunmer Stam Sorc - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Kivian Nightshade - Altmer Magicka NB - Destro/Resto Staves
    Daggerfall Covenant
    S'rala Sugar Claws - Khajiit Stamina Sorc - Dual Wield and Greatsword

Member of the closed early beta group, The Psijic Order
    Guest on first ESO Live
    My ESO fan art and comics
  • Alexandrious
    Alexandrious
    ✭✭✭
    AhmVQab.png
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS knew what you wanted, therefore you can't have it.
    giphy.gif
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Two words: Scam crates.
  • Stormahawk
    Stormahawk
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP made a good point about whale retention. I wonder how many big spenders were turned away due to these crates in unsuccessful attempts to get an ultra rare mount and will not buy future crates going forward.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stormahawk wrote: »
    OP made a good point about whale retention. I wonder how many big spenders were turned away due to these crates in unsuccessful attempts to get an ultra rare mount and will not buy future crates going forward.

Given that this is the second season with those super rare mounts, I would guess it has been profitable for ZOS. If anything they decided to make them more flashy and distinct this time around.