The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Rampant cheating in PvP, what is being done about it ZOS?

• scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    cheating is infact alive in eso.
    1 person hitting me with about 6 attacks in under 1 second, and i know for a fact is not lagg.
    in addition to that people seeing me while i am stealthed from very far away come right to me and attack me.

@dwemer_paleologist detect pots ;)
    I wouldn't go into a pvp zone without em!
    Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
    Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
    Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
    Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
    Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
    Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
    Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
    Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
    Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
    Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
    Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
    Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just killed a guy 3 times in a battleground, and it didnt show up in the charts, while he had over 25 kills without dying. To all those saying cheating doesnt exist: explain this please...
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Huyen wrote: »
    I just killed a guy 3 times in a battleground, and it didnt show up in the charts, while he had over 25 kills without dying. To all those saying cheating doesnt exist: explain this please...

I don't pretend to know the answer but could throw out some guesses...:

1. Sets that resurrect you (Phoenix - I think there's another?) could perhaps be messing with the charts.
    2. Could be a simple bug in the scoring - BG's are quite new, afterall and will still have bugs to be ironed out
    3. Perhaps he has found a cheat/hack to use..

I'm just saying that when you see something that you can't explain - you shouldn't instantly go and accuse the guy of cheating.. Perhaps ask what's causing it, bugreport, research etc.. but automatically assume its cheating straight away is never a good reaction.

I also don't think anybody is saying that cheating doesn't exist - most are just disagreeing with how common is and what peoples definitions of it are... Seen too many accusations of cheating so far which have just boiled down to simply not understanding the game/class abilities/mechanics/getting owned by a better player etc..

Anyone watch Preacher and remember those episodes where the kid accuses his father of beating his mother..?

Edited by Biro123 on September 18, 2017 1:53PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those Xbox elite controllers do make a big difference, I know several players that use them and swear by them
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • regime211
    regime211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doslekis wrote: »
    I'm on console. Aint no cheaters here.

I beg to differ.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_IruXWkqvPA&feature=youtu.be
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    regime211 wrote: »

I beg to differ. He animation cancelled vamp drain after 1 tick for a fear stun.

Ignorance of mechanics fueling accusations of cheating once again, thanks for proving my point.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyrusArya wrote: »

I beg to differ. He animation cancelled vamp drain after 1 tick for a fear stun.

Ignorance of mechanics fueling accusations of cheating once again, thanks for proving my point.

Yup!
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to die easy to cheaters too. Until I fixed my build and practiced a lot. Then the cheaters magically left the game.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No there is no more cheating in ESO . ZOS defeated all the cheaters . There is no programmer in the world that can compete with ZOS's state of the art defenses and skilled professionals . Also NEO lives at the end of the Matrix .
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used to die easy to cheaters too. Until I fixed my build and practiced a lot. Then the cheaters magically left the game.

Lol this is great.
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, while I don't think cheating is rampant, it still is possible.

A buddy of mine was temporary banned last week for "cheating". They reviewed his case and lifted the ban the next day, (he had a full ulti-gen warden build and was spamming tree ult in chaosball and got reported) but the fact that they were so fast to ban him let's me know that they're watching things closely.

But it also lets me know that they have no idea how to detect it. They observed him spamming tres and thought "he must be using cheat engine"

Then they reviewed his character and saw the ult gen items... and realized that warden was just a stupidly broken, OP class in the right circumstances...

But yeah, it confirms that they are still monitoring it, and if they banned him even though he wasn't cheating, it means that they have no idea how to actually catch cheaters.

I personally think cheat engine still exists, I just don't think it's as effective as it used to be.. too many of the variables it used to modify are now stored server side. But I think it can still mess with certain things that are client side... an example would be channel time on wrecking blow flurry or snipe... can't bypass the global cool down, but it could theoretically lower channel time since that is client side. Another would be block status .. whether or not you're blocking is client side.. run speed and location would be another.

But these things would be really easy to notice. I don't think anyone is cheating, and if they were, it wouldn't be a huge advantage.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo for console:

Elite controllers are not "cheating" but sure af not "fair"
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyrusArya wrote: »

100% agree with this dude is just A1 when it comes to animation cancelling
  • Hammy01
    Hammy01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo for console:

Elite controllers are not "cheating" but sure af not "fair"

I own both the MS Elite controller and the Razer Wildcat. The only thing these controllers will give you an advantage for is maybe faster bar swap, potion use... as you can remap the D Pad buttons to triggers under the controller but you cannot remap multiple buttons at the same time to one of the trigger buttons (meaning no macroíng so if you use one of the triggers under the contoroller it will not fire off X,Y,B). You could also remap the shoulder buttons to the triggers underneath if you have problems getting your ultimates to fire but I have no issue using the shoulder buttons. The only problem I have is moving my thumb from the left joystick to the D-Pad to swap weapons so I remap the left D-Pad to one of the triggers under the controller.
  • Eirella
    Eirella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Normally people aren't cheating and are just playing well with knowledge of meta and mechanics.

The problem is everyone blames everything they don't understand or don't like an exploit or cheat and we end up with everything thinking literally everyone cheats.

^ This.
    I PVP almost every day and never see anything I suspect as cheating. The problem is people that aren't familiar with how things work and like to claim cheating.
    Or it could be lag. A lot of time lag is the problem. :x
    (PC/NA) - | @Eirella - formerly @jinxgames | CP 1000+ | Mainly PvPer (EP) | Haxus
    /uninstalled
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The funny thing is you always see the same people in threads like this. Whining and whining because they lose. Truth is they are just bad.
  • Mazbt
    Mazbt
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's really only a couple of players I've come across that made me wonder if they were legit and that I died in a "WTF just hit me" way and they either on their 2nd/3rd/4th accounts or disappeared.
    Mazari the Resurrected (AD)- PVP stamplar main
    Maz the Druid - PVP group stam warden
    - many others
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's likely not hacking with cheat engine or other memory edits. No, you don't need to go to that extreme. You can just find what ZOS has broken with every patch, then exploit it. Some players call this "meta" but it's really just cheating. I could make a long list of these "mechanics" that have existed over the various patches, and rarely did anyone get in trouble for this because it was ZOS bugs. But they did ban people for accidentally gap closing into keeps, which is absurdly easy to do for a while.

I guess my point is, the game has so many bugs and broken "mechanics" that you can just exploit those things that aren't working as intended. But honestly with some of the absurd things that are actually working as intended, who needs cheats. You can make some invincible permablock tank or a one-shot onslaught ganker or anything in between. Not to mention it's too laggy for any of it to even be relevant during prime time.
  • Poncho28
    Poncho28
    ✭✭✭
    Until Bethesda and ZOS subscribe to PunkBuster or any other disinterested 3rd party monitoring service, PvP play in ESO will always be suspect.

The fact that Bethesda and ZOS do not subscribe to an anti-cheating service should be proof enough there is no care or concern on their part for your PvP play and enjoyment. So long as lemmings continue to purchase DLC and costumes, PvP will continue to be a place of suspicion and zergs.
    Poncho-Dovahkiin (Defilers of Molag Bal, Lost Souls of Tamriel, Foundations Start, Rebellious Spirit)
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poncho88 wrote: »
    Until Bethesda and ZOS subscribe to PunkBuster or any other disinterested 3rd party monitoring service, PvP play in ESO will always be suspect.

The fact that Bethesda and ZOS do not subscribe to an anti-cheating service should be proof enough there is no care or concern on their part for your PvP play and enjoyment. So long as lemmings continue to purchase DLC and costumes, PvP will continue to be a place of suspicion and zergs.

ZOS just stores all the relevant data on its server. No reason to use punk buster, but if ZOS did use that they could go back to allowing more data to be stored client side, which would help tremendously with lag.

The only thing a hack could modify at the moment is your position. But the game has certain in game speed limits and if you violate them then you’ll automatically get kicked and your account will be reviewed.

• Yubarius
    Yubarius
    ✭✭✭✭
    cheating is infact alive in eso.
    1 person hitting me with about 6 attacks in under 1 second, and i know for a fact is not lagg.
    in addition to that people seeing me while i am stealthed from very far away come right to me and attack me.

Detect pots my friend, detect pots.
    • Yubarius - Magicka NB - Flawless Conqueror
    • YubariusX - Magicka Warden - Flawless Conqueror
    • Lord Yubarius - Stamina Sorc - Stormproof - Centurion
    • 'Rubick the Grand Magus - Magicka Sorc
    • Fair Child Tank - Stamina DK
    • Jaruko - Magicka Templar
    • Selthyn Bavailo - Mag DK
    • Bandit-The-Great - Stam Temp

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im not new to eso. i know when detect pots are being used because it wont let me go into stealth at all.
    i remain in stealth and the eye never even opens yet people come from very far off and come right to me with weapons drawn and start atacking me.

that has nothing to do with detect pots. that is pure cheats and only way is with a cheat hax.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im not new to eso. i know when detect pots are being used because it wont let me go into stealth at all.
    i remain in stealth and the eye never even opens yet people come from very far off and come right to me with weapons drawn and start atacking me.

that has nothing to do with detect pots. that is pure cheats and only way is with a cheat hax.

When i see a NB disappear far off i pop a detect potion (way beyond the range at which it would show him, or prevent him from going into stealth), hit speed, and head straight where i last saw him(or where i expect him to be). Once i get into detect range, i spot him, and attack.

Often it only takes a split second of him being visible for me to notice. Sometimes i do it simply because i saw the red cloud effect of his cloak. Or just heard the sound of it. Don't ever think you are safe just because you are in stealth and noone is in potion detection distance near you.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Malic wrote: »
    Imo, I have come across a grand total of 3 players I have suspected of cheating, and even then I couldn't be sure.

For PC, we all know for a fact it has been done in the past, to think it doesn't happen now seems foolish

Prove it.

1000 TP says you wont.

Anybody? ANY OF YOU who claim or infer there is cheating can prove it?

@Malic
    So, you think that there's no cheating in ESO? That no one is altering the programming? I'll take you up on that bet. I can provide 100% proof that cheaters run bot trains all over the maps. That's altered programming.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    here is what happens when we try to prove it

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4728796#Comment_4728796

heres the deal, people are cheating and use hax. it is almost a daily event that people come here to the forums to talk about it.
    when we do we are met with alot of anger and word twisting and just plain refusal to even accept that it is happening.

no matter what we say or screen shot or video we are allways the bad guy and considered Stupid and liars. this thread and the thread i linked to is proof of that.
    it has been this way for many years.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malic wrote: »
    Imo, I have come across a grand total of 3 players I have suspected of cheating, and even then I couldn't be sure.

For PC, we all know for a fact it has been done in the past, to think it doesn't happen now seems foolish

Prove it.

1000 TP says you wont.

Anybody? ANY OF YOU who claim or infer there is cheating can prove it?

@Malic
    So, you think that there's no cheating in ESO? That no one is altering the programming? I'll take you up on that bet. I can provide 100% proof that cheaters run bot trains all over the maps. That's altered programming.
    here is what happens when we try to prove it

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4728796#Comment_4728796

heres the deal, people are cheating and use hax. it is almost a daily event that people come here to the forums to talk about it.
    when we do we are met with alot of anger and word twisting and just plain refusal to even accept that it is happening.

no matter what we say or screen shot or video we are allways the bad guy and considered Stupid and liars. this thread and the thread i linked to is proof of that.
    it has been this way for many years.

Macros are technically not cheating. Botting is against the rules because the macros are not being controlled by a player - there’s no person directing the character. But IIRC a player having a few skills macrod together is not against the rules if they are actively activating the macros and are moving the character themselves.

Would love to be proven wrong on that.. someone linked me to a ZOS response on the subject as well as the wording in the TOS but it could have been changed.

Regardless, not sure why anyone would use macros or botting in PvP. It would not speed up your character because of the server side global cooldown, which a client side macro would affect in no way. Macros in high level PvP would be a weakness, not a strength, and they would slow you down significantly, especially if the server started lagging (which would make you not cast entire skills)

• Jake1576
    Jake1576
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doslekis wrote: »
    I'm on console. Aint no cheaters here.

Yeah there is lots at least on ps4 Na
    Edited by Jake1576 on December 26, 2017 3:13AM
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Often when i'm in PvP waiting on load screens…ill eat a candy bar and Cheat on my diet...
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • Stratforge
    Stratforge
    ✭✭✭✭

Based solely off your forum posts, my guess is that you're stealthing in the most obvious possible location...perhaps a doorway of a recently flipped keep or on top of a dropped scroll. Seriously, few people consistently approach your level of lost-ness, although others are certainly trying.

Anyway I'm happy I play on console _only_ because I don't have to wonder about any CE/Miats/whatever you PC nerds do. I've seen some sus stuff but the simplest explanation is always, and has always been, ZoS coded a goofy game that breaks occasionally and xbox lags.
    PC NA
    Xbox One NA (retired)
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure there are more people getting digital assistance than folks care to admit. There are probably alot of players being called cheaters that aren't as well. Maybe is the player base was confident ZoS was reliably handling it there'd be less of the latter though. Perception helps...just sayin.