The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Rampant cheating in PvP, what is being done about it ZOS?

Messy1
Messy1
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not even a diehard PvPer, but I sure do die easy from all the cheaters . . . pun intended

Every discord, TS, or other channel I join to talk with other PvPers it seems there is always talk about someone or some group that is exploiting some aspect of PvP.

The fact that there is something called "Cheat Engine" that can still be used to gain an advantage in PvP speaks volumes about the state of the PvP experience.

Someone told me that programs could be added to kick/or ban people who hack the server/and or client side of the game to adjust stats? Is it really that simple? Why isn't that being done.

I enjoy all aspects of ESO clearly, though, PvP is not a priority for ZOS in terms of fair playing field for all players.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please see the pinned thread at the top of the forum, please post this sort of comment in there so ZOS can ignore this in one easy thread.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • doslekis
    doslekis
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on console. Aint no cheaters here.

I don't normally use daggers, but when I do, I choose dos Lekis.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normally people aren't cheating and are just playing well with knowledge of meta and mechanics.

The problem is everyone blames everything they don't understand or don't like an exploit or cheat and we end up with everything thinking literally everyone cheats.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only people with more than 7 forum stars are cheating.
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Normally people aren't cheating and are just playing well with knowledge of meta and mechanics.

The problem is everyone blames everything they don't understand or don't like an exploit or cheat and we end up with everything thinking literally everyone cheats.

Very true, with no obvious action taken when people do cheat the trust goes and anyone can be accused. Only ZOS can regain trust in the game.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof of cheating hasn't been shown in over a year. Cheat engine hasn't worked in over a year.

It's all in your head. That and some good old fashioned server lag.

PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Messy1 wrote: »
    I'm not even a diehard PvPer, but I sure do die easy from all the cheaters . . . pun intended

Do you die easy because cheating is rampant or do you think cheating is rampant because you die easy? A very important point to ruminate on.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fairly new to PvP myself. I saw a NB shoot through a ceiling the other day. My first thought was how the heck did he do that? My second thought was it must be a skill working in a weird way, not that he must be a Cheater McCheaterface. Honestly, unless someone was walking around in the air, I wouldn't be able to tell if someone was actually cheating at this point.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fairly new to PvP myself. I saw a NB shoot through a ceiling the other day. My first thought was how the heck did he do that? My second thought was it must be a skill working in a weird way, not that he must be a Cheater McCheaterface. Honestly, unless someone was walking around in the air, I wouldn't be able to tell if someone was actually cheating at this point.

NBs have a skill (Shadow Image) that allows them to cast a shadowy figure for 20-ish seconds and if cast again before the skill expires will teleport them to the shadowy figure.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

NBs have a skill (Shadow Image) that allows them to cast a shadowy figure for 20-ish seconds and if cast again before the skill expires will teleport them to the shadowy figure.

Oh ok, good to know. I can't get into playing NB's, so what they can and cannot do is a mystery to me lol
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cheating is infact alive in eso.
    1 person hitting me with about 6 attacks in under 1 second, and i know for a fact is not lagg.
    in addition to that people seeing me while i am stealthed from very far away come right to me and attack me.
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone that kills me is cheating. So what if I am running around naked with no weapons? I am a magicka sorcerer, I am invincible!
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doslekis wrote: »
    I'm on console. Aint no cheaters here.

False
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tavore1138 wrote: »

Very true, with no obvious action taken when people do cheat the trust goes and anyone can be accused. Only ZOS can regain trust in the game.
    That's true, but it's also on us to nod muddy the water and report every good player or one using add-ons as a cheat and exploiter.
    The more we do that the more the real cheats and exploiters get missed and have a free pass.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    Proof of cheating hasn't been shown in over a year. Cheat engine hasn't worked in over a year.

It's all in your head. That and some good old fashioned server lag.

Cheating can be abusing bugs too. Those are still around and ppl get banned for it plenty.
  • Autumnhart
    Autumnhart
    ✭✭✭✭
    It makes people feel better about losing to throw around accusations of cheating. Repetition is not truth.

Sometimes you lose.
    Shadow hide you.
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread reminds me of this quote by Arther C. Clarke.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I think the same can be said for skilled players and "cheaters"
    Edited by PlagueSD on September 17, 2017 8:21AM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The trouble is that in any PvP encounter half the players will lose, and so the other half must be cheating :wink: !
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    easy to spot cheaters in pvp...any one whom stays standing longer than myself during a fight is obviously up to no good...

it's a fact...

yeah, pvp is full of folks engaged in nefarious gaming practices..
    Edited by geonsocal on September 15, 2017 10:04PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Messy1 wrote: »

Every discord, TS, or other channel I join to talk with other PvPers it seems there is always talk about someone or some group that is exploiting some aspect of PvP.

The fact that there is something called "Cheat Engine" that can still be used to gain an advantage in PvP speaks volumes about the state of the PvP experience.

Someone told me that programs could be added to kick/or ban people who hack the server/and or client side of the game to adjust stats? Is it really that simple? Why isn't that being done.

I enjoy all aspects of ESO clearly, though, PvP is not a priority for ZOS in terms of fair playing field for all players.

Prove it.

Watch the reply, not only wont he prove his claim he'll likely go on the attack to deflect.

"someone told me" would it be chance be that infamous "they" guy.

So I say again, prove it, prove (your words) there is "rampant cheating" go ahead and look up rampant if you want, im betting you dont know what it means.
  • Baconfat79
    Baconfat79
    ✭✭✭✭
    Miat's add-on is cheating, and I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of PVP'ers are using it.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tavore1138 wrote: »

They wont.

Because ZOS does not care enough. Buy something and get out.
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are people who cheat in pvp. It doesn't have to be rampant over the top cheating, flying around casting unlimited meteors, to still be cheating. People can use CE to inflate resource numbers to give them an unfair advantage, keeping it below the level that zos' protection will detect.

DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In summary.

When I win a 1v1 it's because of my superior mad skillz
    If I lose a 1v1 it's because some hack is cheating.
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thedude33 wrote: »
    In summary.

When I win a 1v1 it's because of my superior mad skillz
    If I lose a 1v1 it's because some hack is cheating.

it's really that simple, isn't it...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone with a sub 300 ping is a cheater
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    During this IC event, a group of 8ish came into the districts and were all moving at a faster speed than my orc with 120 point CP speed passive, steed mundus, jailbreaker and fiord's.

At first I though darn, i'm lagging hard. But over the next hour they never stopped moving that fast. Even their stampedes or crit rushes were 2x normal speed. At one point, it looked like they were flying across the screen. I was with a friend who is a PvP tank that can handle 6-8 for over a minute, but he was eating dirt on contact.

Everyone else, regardless of alliance, was moving within the normal speed range.

Then they just disappeared. Poof. One player had started filming them, kept asking if we saw them and looked all over the sewers and districts.

I like to think that ZoS actually has a detection routine and it worked.
  • chris25602
    chris25602
    ✭✭✭
    So a vast majority of 'cheating' in pvp is actually the point of playing pvp. Part of the fun is discovering the mechanics that give you an edge. Legitimately there are some things that are unfair which then get nerfed in a patch;which exposes a new set of mechanics which will be unfairly exploited and nerfed...and the cycle continues
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chris25602 wrote: »
    So a vast majority of 'cheating' in pvp is actually the point of playing pvp. Part of the fun is discovering the mechanics that give you an edge. Legitimately there are some things that are unfair which then get nerfed in a patch;which exposes a new set of mechanics which will be unfairly exploited and nerfed...and the cycle continues

I don't think this is what people mean when they say cheating, lol.

In all of the years i've pvp'd in mmo's, ESO is the only one that has consistent complaints of people actually cheating. Not using exploits, not using some sort of bug or unintended game mechanics, but i mean flat out cheating.

There's probably something to that.

Also, it's embarrassing that zos allows miat's to exist. It's very hard to take them seriously when an addon like that is in the game. The closest thing I've ever seen to it is being able to have alerts that a player you're targeting is casting a specific ability, which is not even close to how much of an advantage miat's gives you. It also gives a major advantage to stam in general but that's another discussion altogether.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • chris25602
    chris25602
    ✭✭✭
    ecru wrote: »
    chris25602 wrote: »

I don't think this is what people mean when they say cheating, lol.

In all of the years i've pvp'd in mmo's, ESO is the only one that has consistent complaints of people actually cheating. Not using exploits, not using some sort of bug or unintended game mechanics, but i mean flat out cheating.

There's probably something to that.

Also, it's embarrassing that zos allows miat's to exist. It's very hard to take them seriously when an addon like that is in the game. The closest thing I've ever seen to it is being able to have alerts that a player you're targeting is casting a specific ability, which is not even close to how much of an advantage miat's gives you. It also gives a major advantage to stam in general but that's another discussion altogether.

tbh i was apparently in the dark....one more person using miat lol.