Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you experience cheating in PVP?

Skoomah
Skoomah
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Cheating in PVP takes many forms: Add-ons that allow you to change your stats, damage, regen, infinite resources, infinite ultimate, etc. Macros that allow for near instant use of many skills all at once. Exploits that go around game mechanics. The list goes on and on.
Edited by Skoomah on September 15, 2017 2:32PM

Do you experience cheating in PVP? 143 votes

Yes. Frequently.
25%
rfennell_ESOSolarikenGilvothkevlarto_ESOMatteronAzuryaIruil_ESOWillhelmBlackWitarDredlordklink012starlizard70ub17_ESOalexx169111nrb19_ESOIdinuseSkoomahHuyenLord_WrathVizierSedareTan9oSuccka 36 votes
Yes. Once in a while.
26%
k9mouseLeafyPeteMojmirGlassHalfFullDeHeiTurelusGrim13AnazasiAztlanRajajshkaLettigallSneaky-SnurrReverbsadownikimrednecksonApheriusLexxypwnsOberon45NBrookusAlurue 38 votes
No.
48%
ArobainKaslolo_01b16_ESOBam_BamTHEDKEXPERIENCEfioskalidkkkravaritieb17_ESOChelotechnohicSanTii.92AnroseGedalyaRohaustplink3r1VilestrideToRelaxRagnaroek93EirellaNemeliom 69 votes
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. Frequently.
    I experience cheaters nearly everyday. It ruins the experience and many people I know rage quit because there is no recourse. The cheaters always come back after limited punishment by GMs.
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    In my experience the term "Cheating" is used heavily by players in PvP; often it is simply slander against a player who is doing well by a player who is frustrated and struggling with some aspect of PvP. I've been playing since beta and there is no shortage of this type of behavior; "Oh player X is cheating. It's not possible to get that much AP so fast." Blah Blah Blah. And I'm a pickle.
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Once in a while.
    To clear things up.

Whether or not you approve of add-ons these are by no means cheats. They are only able to do what ZOS allows them to do (via the API) meaning they are LEGAL. Please don't label them as cheating as it will lead to spreading of misinformation.

Using game mechanics correctly and fully or "the meta" is also not cheating and the same as the above.

Otherwise yes the following are cheats and I have seen them but they're not as common as people like to believe.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Skoomah wrote: »
    Cheating in PVP takes many forms: Add-ons that allow you to change your stats, damage, regen, infinite resources, infinite ultimate, etc. Macros that allow for near instant use of many skills all at once. Exploits that go around game mechanics. The list goes on and on.

So much wrong here...

Addons do not let you change your stats/damage etc.

Macros do not let you use many skills at once

There aren't many exploits left around game mechanics anymore... I'm not actually aware of any.

If you think all this stuff is cheating... well, you may as well call-out a sprinter for cheating because he's wearing spiked shoes.. and you'll see it all the time - cos why? ALL SPRINTERS WEAR SPIKES - because its allowed...

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Add-ons that allow you to change your stats, damage, regen, infinite resources, infinite ultimate, etc.

Please provide examples or rescind your post.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    You really need to have a PC or Console thread here. I agree that add-ons are not cheating because they are allowed, but some of the add-ons frankly should not be. Anyone who uses the Miat Night Blade finder abomination (not sure if this is still a thing) certainly pushes the line into cheater territory and anyone using Cheat Engine, well, it's called Cheat Engine. But, these are a small minority of add-ons and the vast majority are fine. If you are anti-add-on like me you can just play on console.

Which brings me to part 2. You'll find some exploiters (hey look I got 2 clanfears!) but they eventually get patched out. In 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of other ESO console cases no one is cheating.
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Add-ons that allow you to change stats, really. Macros that somehow negate skill cooldown, interesting stuff.

Seems like some people get really salty when they die, and will immediately start ranting about things they don't understand. It's easy to blame mechanics you don't understand, it's less easy to back those claims up.

But hey witch hunts amirite, who gives a *** about the truth when you're surrounded by salty bad players willing to buy into your nonsense.

SetWidth940-tinfoil-hat.jpg
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Glad I'm on console, I prefer everyone fight each other with the same tools. Add-ons look like they ruined the PC PvP experience. I am glad I left.

The worst thing you see on console is someone summoning 2 Warden Bears or 4 Sorc Clannfears.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Frequently.
    It's pretty common.

For the record, addons that don't violate ZOS TOS may not be cheating but it's pretty safe to assume that the kind of person that would use an addon for explicit combat advantage is the same kind of person that would use cheat engine. #truth
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Solariken wrote: »
    It's pretty common.

For the record, addons that don't violate ZOS TOS may not be cheating but it's pretty safe to assume that the kind of person that would use an addon for explicit combat advantage is the same kind of person that would use cheat engine. #truth

Not true. The vast majority of players in PVP use Miats, addons to show important cooldown timers (like rally) , addons to help identify when certain abilitys proc, or important buffs are wearing off...

Hardly anybody uses (nor would use) cheat-engine.

How would you even think this?

Zos says.. A is illegal, B is allowed... Why would you simply assume that those using B would also use A???
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Biro123 wrote: »
    It's pretty common.

Not true. The vast majority of players in PVP use Miats, addons to show important cooldown timers (like rally) , addons to help identify when certain abilitys proc, or important buffs are wearing off...

Zos says.. A is illegal, B is allowed... Why would you simply assume that those using B would also use A???

Thank Sithis for console.

I wish I could just give back all these stupid buff timers. I didn't need them at launch and I don't need them now. Time to clean up my UI even more now.

I wish, wish, wish, wish, wish there was a no UI PVP campaign.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    It's pretty common.

Thank Sithis for console.

I wish I could just give back all these stupid buff timers. I didn't need them at launch and I don't need them now. Time to clean up my UI even more now.

I wish, wish, wish, wish, wish there was a no UI PVP campaign.

Me too, to be fair.. But, like Nukes, you can't uninvent them - and when your opponent is using them you're at a disadvantage unless you do the same.

Doesn't make you(or your opponent) a cheater though as the OP suggests
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Frequently.
    It's pretty common.

The vast majority do not use miat's. Many of us like to play the game without a hand-hold or unfair advantage over others.

For most of these people of questionable intent I would argue it's not a matter of which is allowed and which isn't, it's a matter of what is available and what gives advantage.

I think you would be very surprised to find how many narcissists and sociopaths are out there, especially in MMOs.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    It's pretty common.

The vast majority do not use miat's. Many of us like to play the game without a hand-hold or unfair advantage over others.

For most of these people of questionable intent I would argue it's not a matter of which is allowed and which isn't, it's a matter of what is available and what gives advantage.

I think you would be very surprised to find how many narcissists and sociopaths are out there, especially in MMOs.

I think you're wrong.

I play DW magsorc. Its amazing just how often that frag gets dodged. And no I'm not talking about situations where its a 1v1 in open space where its clear that the frag is coming.. I'm talking about situations where you cast it from behind someone who was just moving away from you and they roll-dodge right as you cast it... Or you throw it at someone in the middle of a zerg v zerg and they instantly dodge or block.. Seriously it happens 8/10 times(at least in EU) and its VERY obvious how common it is when you use a projectile-based build, and very easy to see who is and isn't using it with that build.

I now play VERY aggressively on my sorc - because the only way to get a frag to land is from point-blank range.

Edited by Biro123 on September 15, 2017 4:03PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    This thread is a great way to see how many sore losers there are (sorrry solar! <3 )

Video evidence of cheating has not been posted since they changed the API to block cheat engine. With all of the streamers and recorders around, it should be easy to find some proof.. but it doesn't exist.

There are a few exploits in the game, such as using fire rune in the BGs to knock someone into insta death via spawn protection environment damage, but sadly that's not what people are ever referring to when they say they are victims of cheating.

People always need excuses for why they lost. Some people refuse to ever take personal accountability.

You're welcome to post a recent video to prove me wrong. But you won't, because it doesn't exist.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• alexx169111nrb19_ESO
    alexx169111nrb19_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Yes. Frequently.
    serenarth -sork player cheather or no? this no game(
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Frequently.
    Thogard wrote: »
    This thread is a great way to see how many sore losers there are (sorrry solar! <3 )

Video evidence of cheating has not been posted since they changed the API to block cheat engine. With all of the streamers and recorders around, it should be easy to find some proof.. but it doesn't exist.

There are a few exploits in the game, such as using fire rune in the BGs to knock someone into insta death via spawn protection environment damage, but sadly that's not what people are ever referring to when they say they are victims of cheating.

People always need excuses for why they lost. Some people refuse to ever take personal accountability.

You're welcome to post a recent video to prove me wrong. But you won't, because it doesn't exist.

What exactly do you expect to see in a video @Thogard? The only "videos" posted before featured brave souls looking for vigilante justice since ZOS refused to take action for SOOOooOo long. Cheat Engine and memory hacking in general are alive and well in ESO. They have literally done nothing to stop it.
  • RazorCaltrops
    RazorCaltrops
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    Its utterly shocking that no one used the magic words "animation cancelling"

Best cheating thread so far.
    PS4 EU
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Once in a while.
    Console doesn't seem to have memory hacking so that's not present.

However, if you define cheating as actively abusing unintentional game mechanics to gain an unfair advantage over someone who isn't then, yes, I see some cheating going on.

Things like the 1.3 healing ward exploit(double casting it granted you the full heal), multiple mundus stones, multiple 5pc bonuses(hist bark exploit), hiding toggles on overload bar, soul assault bug, mist for mitigation with costumes, etc all existed at different points in the games history and there are still some pretty egregious cheats of this nature out there. Those are just PVP based and don't include the old writ survery bug or the more recent item dupe that ZoS swept under the rug.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 15, 2017 4:46PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add-ons that allow you to change your stats, damage, regen, infinite resources, infinite ultimate, etc.
    Please stop right there, AddOns can NOT do any of the above.
    headbang.gif

You need 3rd party software for that, like Cheat Engine. This has absolutely nothing to do with AddOns. Nothing, nada, zilch.
    dry.gif
  • alexx169111nrb19_ESO
    alexx169111nrb19_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Yes. Frequently.
    i dont know-cheat or exploit. but i out fr game after 3y
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Once in a while.
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Please stop right there, AddOns can NOT do any of the above.
    headbang.gif

You need 3rd party software for that, like Cheat Engine. This has absolutely nothing to do with AddOns. Nothing, nada, zilch.
    dry.gif

I think a lot of my fellow console players don't understand the difference between an add-on that's supported by the API and a third party program that alters game data through memory hacking.

Add to that the fiasco that was Miat's stealth detection feature and the line is even more fuzzy, even for some people who may even have a basic understanding of the difference.

I also think a lot of people use "add-on" as a catch all for software that's not included in the base game, be it 3rd party memory hacking or a 3rd party add-on that use the available API.

If Zos were more transparent about cheating and punishments then we likely wouldn't have all the witch hunts we do.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 15, 2017 5:13PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Gedalya wrote: »
    In my experience the term "Cheating" is used heavily by players in PvP; often it is simply slander against a player who is doing well by a player who is frustrated and struggling with some aspect of PvP. I've been playing since beta and there is no shortage of this type of behavior; "Oh player X is cheating. It's not possible to get that much AP so fast." Blah Blah Blah. And I'm a pickle.

This exactly. Especially with the cries about macros. A good player can execute skills better than one using a macro. Much more reliable to do it straight up.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Once in a while.
    I have seen cheating recently in the form of boosting. A whole line of players queued up a little way outside a friendly keep while a single enemy kills them one by one.

I can't say I've ever seen any sure signs of memory hacking, but there are features of the game which make it easy to believe that memory hacking is going on.

The fact that not all the feats/spells performed by other players are rendered can, for example, make it look like a friendly player has granted themselves the ability to be permanently cloaked without ever having to re-cast a cloak spell.

Stealth emperors, not using costume or title, are another example. They make it look like random players are using something like CE to give themselves +100% of just about everything, when in fact it's legit. If you're on a guest campaign there's no way to see the name of the Emperor in the stats to check if someone who seems to be impossibly OP is legit or not. Maybe they should put some laurels around Emperors' alliance indicator shield just so people know what to expect.

As a bow ganker I am a victim of Miats. I don't understand why this add on is permitted. It gifts characters with a kind of magical prescience, as if it were a passive ability, without the need to spend any skill points on it. It is clearly unfair.
    PC EU
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Though I have run into odd groups of players where my fps suddenly drops to 5 around them in multiple encounters, i can't honestly say I've seen a legitimate cheat that I was sure of in a year of pvp or so. There's just no way to tell unless someone is spamming ultis or floating or whatever. Some exploits to get on top of walls or go through keep doors? Yes.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

What exactly do you expect to see in a video @Thogard? The only "videos" posted before featured brave souls looking for vigilante justice since ZOS refused to take action for SOOOooOo long. Cheat Engine and memory hacking in general are alive and well in ESO. They have literally done nothing to stop it.

they fixed the memory hack issues (cheat engine) when they made all of the regen and resource amounts server side rather than client side.

it would be pretty easy to prove though. just show someone using a channeled ability that goes through faster than it should, or show someone violating the 1s global cooldown, or show somoene chain casting ultimates.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• alexx169111nrb19_ESO
    alexx169111nrb19_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Yes. Frequently.
    guys-always 3-4 good player kill emp- but today balance-7-8 players cant kill one sorc.This balace new politic ?
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

they fixed the memory hack issues (cheat engine) when they made all of the regen and resource amounts server side rather than client side.

it would be pretty easy to prove though. just show someone using a channeled ability that goes through faster than it should, or show someone violating the 1s global cooldown, or show somoene chain casting ultimates.

Not to mention..

They also implemented a system that issues temp bans to memory hacking attempts. But yeah ironically they actually did fix CE as the result of a video posted about it, a video that got enough traction before ZOS tried to cover it up.

But it was too late as too many people were successfully made aware of it, and the ensuing chaos made ZOS address it. *** way to get ZOs to fix things, but it got the job done.

The Age of Wrobel.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    It's pretty common.

Let's not forget the add-on that tells the user when a frag is being thrown at them. It's completely not fair to the guy who threw the frags.

But Miat's add-on, and any variation of it, is also really bad for PvP. You basically ruin the experience for the guy cloaking and break the element of surprise for him. It just poopoos on ESO's Pvp game play.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on September 15, 2017 7:51PM
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    I experience cheaters nearly everyday. It ruins the experience and many people I know rage quit because there is no recourse. The cheaters always come back after limited punishment by GMs.

I won't deny cheating, but i rarely see any cheaters (or at least, people that i can suspect about). I can play for weeks/months without finding anyone that can raise my suspicions. Yes i find people using Miat's all day (i'm using it too, even if i hate it, is gives to big of an advantage for me to ignore it), and people using abusing broken sets and things like that, but that is not cheating. The last time i say "this guy must be cheating", it was german lol

More likely you are just calling cheats on people that is better than you, simple as that. This is very common, i've been called cheater a millon times and i'm not even that good at PvP.
    It's completely not fair to the guy who threw the frags.

you think is not fair for cristal frags? try playing a dizzing swing build lol
    Edited by ManDraKE on September 15, 2017 8:09PM