Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

What is the pickpocketing etiquette?

• Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-pick
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Blade-of-Woeing someone that another player is pickpocketing is just crappy, and akin to leaving a single lockpick in a treasure chest.

This. I have had people run up to the person im trying to pickpocket and stab them right off the back. Smurfing sociopaths.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-pick
    I pick until everything is gone cause if there are those crafting style items there can be more than 3 if you keep picking, I kill them after though, I also kill them if I fail rather than wait, and if someone comes up to my mark I will kill the mark instead.
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The proper pickpocketing etiquette is quite simple, young man.

Just slide your hand into one man's pocket, grab hold of something, and don't forget to put your pinky up.

Example:

main-qimg-37615fa2111b6d45a66b63b8173cc51b-c
    Edited by Dracindo on September 7, 2017 12:47PM
  • RoyalPink06
    RoyalPink06
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    pick-pick-stab for me if there is no one else around. If there is another player politely waiting in line to pick, then I pick-pick-pick and move on so that someone else gets a chance to pick.

If you jump in and poach my mark while I'm in the middle of it, then I insta-stab out of spite. WAIT YOUR TURN OR MOVE ON TO ANOTHER MARK people. Poaching is so rude. I use the "Move away from me" emote as a fair warning.
    NA PS4
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    pick-pick-stab, or just pick-stab if it's not in vvardenfell. Gotta keep it pushin'
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-pick
    pick-pick-stab for me if there is no one else around. If there is another player politely waiting in line to pick, then I pick-pick-pick and move on so that someone else gets a chance to pick.

If you jump in and poach my mark while I'm in the middle of it, then I insta-stab out of spite. WAIT YOUR TURN OR MOVE ON TO ANOTHER MARK people. Poaching is so rude. I use the "Move away from me" emote as a fair warning.

@RoyalPink06 You do know that if you pick 3 times its gonna show the target as empty for everyone else right? The loot is not personal, its instanced. Everyone shares the NPCs. So if you pick an NPC clean, then no one else can until it resets.
  • RoyalPink06
    RoyalPink06
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab

@RoyalPink06 You do know that if you pick 3 times its gonna show the target as empty for everyone else right? The loot is not personal, its instanced. Everyone shares the NPCs. So if you pick an NPC clean, then no one else can until it resets.

Not sure how true that is, or if its different for PS4. I've been able to get 3 items from an NPC someone was just pickpocketing. I've heard conflicting reports about this.
    NA PS4
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patrus wrote: »
    LMar wrote: »
    Remember, if you group you all share the loot. So if you are in the same farming loop, then just group up and everyone benefits. No need to run and scramble over one another.

You don't need to be in group. If you allready have picked the npc one time and then another Player stabs, you have the loot too.

That's True but if you are in the same loop you might not be as fast as the other person so you might miss on an NPC. If you are in a group you can loot the body even if you turn up late to the party
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Tr4gicDe4th
    Tr4gicDe4th
    ✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    Pick pick stab; the stab is the same as a 3rd pick because i have received motifs from stabs
    Xbox One - NA
    Gamertag: Tr4gicDe4th

***Need unwanted motifs for my crafter***
  • Metal10957
    Metal10957
    ✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    At least there is a reason to pickpocket now.
    For the Horde!
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Etiquette is how the man keeps us in line
    pick pick stab os the aim, but on a new toon just try your best not to drag the guard towards other players when your detected!
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stab on the first try, I just like ruining people's day
    Certainly not trying to ruin anyone's day, but I don't have the patience for picking pockets. I prefer just to kill the NPCs. Bounty is high enough that it is essentially permanent at this point anyways.
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    Pick twice then stab. Let the other guy get his pick in if he meanders up.

And if I get caught and the target turns aggressive, drag them behind a corner to kill. I hate when I'm pickpocketing and someone makes all the NPCs I was gonna get to next flip out and run away.
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did you even see me? I was crouching!

I mostly pick-pick-stab because you get the chance of the tainted blood style ingredient.

If it's a cluster of NPC's I sometimes only pick-pick-pick because I don't want to get caught.

I stay away from other ... entrepreneurs, although they are hard to see because they are crouching just like me.

Now you see me, now you don't!
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Ceridwynne
    Ceridwynne
    ✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    When I am running my loop by myself I pick-pick-stab, that way I can keep making my circle until I run out of bag space. If I see that other people are pick pocketing I try to get one pick in and wait for them to kill the mark.
  • theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-pick
    I like to do some light roleplaying when I play ESO.

My characters are not evil so they usally avoid killing innocents. So I go pick-pick-pick against normal civilians and pick-pick-stab against NPCs I dislike (mainly arrogant nobles, But also that dunmer behind the cart in Mournhold).

I really wish their loot would respawn even if we don't kill them (but with the same respawn timer as if the NPC had been killed) so people would have a reason not to kill other than roleplaying.
    Edited by theher0not on September 7, 2017 2:47PM
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    isnt it pick-pick-pick -stab? so that its empty then killed for respawn?
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deheart wrote: »
    Honestly, I tend to never even consider killing when pick pocketing. Usually it is harder to kill a "friendly" npc without getting bounties for me than it is to pick pocket them.

U ever heard about the Dark B-hood, friend? They are handing out pretty neato daggers.
  • Malacthulhu
    Malacthulhu
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have to ask the questions then perhaps you are not of enough importance to have obtained and read the charters of the Thieves Guild yes? Or perhaps you should read them more carefully.

You do not steal from another pocket technician - the preferred term in our line of business - that includes any hapless pocket walkers they have their eyes on already.

You do not get in the way of, or impede, another pocket technician in their work - killing when another has their eye on the prize is included in this.

You do not do anything that would alert the guards to the work of another pocket technician.

You do not summon your fence in the face of another pocket technician.

Honour among pocket technicians is most important. Respect your fellow professionals as you go about your work and we will all prosper as a result.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Not all groups thieves abide by the charter of the Thieves Guild and have formed their own society of thieves and cut throats whose rules superceed those of the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild.
    Xbox One Na
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    I tend to lurk around if I see someone else is hunting an NPC. A couple times we've taken turns killing the NPC to get stuff.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    Honestly I'm not sure. I've heard that pick-pick-stab makes their inventory spawn faster, but who knows. I just wish there wasn't so much dependence on stealing, like how it's the only way to get the new motifs. Q_Q I have to exit roleplay mode and do things my character wouldn't all so I can learn new motifs. It's dreadful. Though the systems itself is well-designed and enjoyable.
    If you kill the inventory will respawn with NPC. if not i'm not sure if respawn time. However an zone load like the thief guild always is will reset npc inventory, it also reset containers.
    Honestly, I tend to never even consider killing when pick pocketing. Usually it is harder to kill a "friendly" npc without getting bounties for me than it is to pick pocket them.
    As I understand its easier to kill the npc rater than pickpocket the 3rd time, this also depend on npc class, drunks would be easier to pickpocket. However other npc has an easier time noticing you stabbing, and the bounty is higher.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Recremen wrote: »
    Honestly I'm not sure. I've heard that pick-pick-stab makes their inventory spawn faster, but who knows. I just wish there wasn't so much dependence on stealing, like how it's the only way to get the new motifs. Q_Q I have to exit roleplay mode and do things my character wouldn't all so I can learn new motifs. It's dreadful. Though the systems itself is well-designed and enjoyable.
    If you kill the inventory will respawn with NPC. if not i'm not sure if respawn time. However an zone load like the thief guild always is will reset npc inventory, it also reset containers.
    As I understand its easier to kill the npc rater than pickpocket the 3rd time, this also depend on npc class, drunks would be easier to pickpocket. However other npc has an easier time noticing you stabbing, and the bounty is higher.

It's not about that. If you kill, you are able to see when the pockets got refilled simply by seeing that it respawned. If you leave them up, how do you know when they have items to pick again?
    Edited by Vimora on September 7, 2017 3:43PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    When you mentioned pickpocketing etiquette I thought it would be about when one player is crouched behind an npc you don't also get in there and try to pickpocket. I've seen players try to do it to me, but I kill the npc immediately even if I'm not done because *** that noise.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Miralys, AD Magsorc, AR 35
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Lyranais, EP Magsorc, AR 33
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • vacantdoll
    vacantdoll
    ✭✭
    Depends, if I am alone I pick, pick, stab. If more people join, I pick, pick, wait to stab if no one else does it. If they're still hanging around the npc I would pick third and move on somewhere else.

There's been a lot of times where I was alone and would pick once and out of nowhere someone stabs the npc. lol

Platform: XB1
    Server: NA
    GT: Usako
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, pickpocketing and Ettiquette..:

"Excuse me, my good man - would you mind awfully if I just took these few pieces of gold from your pocket?"

"No, not at all! Please, be my guest. Of course, you do know that I will have to call the watch?"

"Absolutely. In fact, I'd think less of you if you didn't. Of course, you'll give me the obligatory 2 second head-start?"

"Of course! Fair's fair! Everyone has to make a living, after-all"

"Right. All done. Pleasure doing business with you."

"And you, Sir..... 1........2........ Help! I've been Robbed!!"..

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I never kill the NPCs. Its enough that I am rifling through their pockets pulling out random shinys in pursuit of an elusive motif chapter. No need to kill them.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Cyn_v84
    Cyn_v84
    ✭✭✭
    This one goes pick-pick-pick and does not bother another exquisite sneak thief who already has his nose in a target's pocket.
    And yes, Khajiit gets frustrated when someone else comes along to pick the same target and then stabs him/her!
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-pick
    I wish I read the post itself before voting. I finish picking their pockets without resorting to stabbing, but I don't get in someone else's way when they're already stealing.
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Wow, I never kill the NPCs. Its enough that I am rifling through their pockets pulling out random shinys in pursuit of an elusive motif chapter. No need to kill them.

You are just giving them a break, they are having fun in the respawn-cafeteria until they have to do their menial open world task again.

Really you are doing them a favour.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    Hmm, pickpocketing and Ettiquette..:

"Excuse me, my good man - would you mind awfully if I just took these few pieces of gold from your pocket?"

"No, not at all! Please, be my guest. Of course, you do know that I will have to call the watch?"

"Absolutely. In fact, I'd think less of you if you didn't. Of course, you'll give me the obligatory 2 second head-start?"

"Of course! Fair's fair! Everyone has to make a living, after-all"

"Right. All done. Pleasure doing business with you."

"And you, Sir..... 1........2........ Help! I've been Robbed!!"..

c5fb4b9d0e2690e7c8085b619f8c9161-d8kicdf.jpg
    Check out her stuff
    https://isriana.deviantart.com/gallery/33833113/The-Elder-Scrolls
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.