Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

What is the pickpocketing etiquette?

SFDB
SFDB
✭✭✭✭✭
I usually see two groups of people running around Vvardenfell looking for the elusive motifs, with a contrasting approach. Which do you feel is the way players ought to act?

Group 1 adheres to the pick-pick-stab technique, minimizing the chance of getting caught while getting to the third loot item. These people steer clear of others who are already picking an NPCs pocket.

Group 2 is the pick-pick-pick group. They will pickpocket an NPC that is already being pickpocketed and will not stab (and will complain if the other player stabs).
Edited by SFDB on September 7, 2017 4:59AM

What is the pickpocketing etiquette? 163 votes

Pick-pick-stab
66%
laurajfSorianafastolfv_ESOSolarikennexxus_ESODeadlyRecluseSaucy_JackKalikiFaulgorSvenjaAlmarielIruil_ESOAlienSlofKhenarthitimb16_ESO85static_rechargevrinePotenzaDaiKahnPurpleDrank 109 votes
Pick-pick-pick
16%
SkayaqYakidafiAngelisaurJade1986PeleZouniHvzedaKahinapaulsimonpsDeheartCatuloLarianaTan9oSucckapod88kktheher0notmabolethParaNostramSovjetsevomd69FluffyReachWitch 27 votes
Stab on the first try, I just like ruining people's day
9%
IcyDeadPeopleSirAndyMojmirzariaNebthet78inf.toniceb17_ESOAektannSarevoccShaibaWrecking_Blow_SpamBethenyRunefangKeldheirZimbuggaNecomis 15 votes
Etiquette is how the man keeps us in line
7%
vailjohn_ESOQueoPlagueSDj3crowAhPook_Is_HerebebynnagBeardimusRaddlemanNumber7Tyreal1974FroilRedKialandiPindaros 12 votes
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    pick pick stab
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blade-of-Woeing someone that another player is pickpocketing is just crappy, and akin to leaving a single lockpick in a treasure chest.
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-pick
    If we are sharing a mark... i will not BoW him/her... I pick him once and wait for the inevitable BoW from the other guy and when he kills the mark you get the other 2 items on the corpse...
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No surprises here.
  • Kahina
    Kahina
    ✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-pick
    In my experience, it's the impatient stabs that come in over top of my character (thief, not a murderer) and stab the mark.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are alone in area you can pick pick stab, if its others they have to wait for respawn.
    An natural response from the others jump ahead of you and stab stab.

In increase in bounty for killing will help :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Runschei
    Runschei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    Pick pick stick
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I pick pick stab untill I read some ha e a 4th item. So I pick pick pick stab now. The impatient peeps don't,last very long because they are impatient.

I stab so the npc will respawn .
  • Zimbugga
    Zimbugga
    ✭✭✭
    I like use Blade of Woe... My character has 100% change to pickpocket and I still fail (eye is close too).
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I'm not sure. I've heard that pick-pick-stab makes their inventory spawn faster, but who knows. I just wish there wasn't so much dependence on stealing, like how it's the only way to get the new motifs. Q_Q I have to exit roleplay mode and do things my character wouldn't all so I can learn new motifs. It's dreadful. Though the systems itself is well-designed and enjoyable.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • sdtlc
    sdtlc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    If you're two on one victim, let one pick and then the other will pick pick stab, the first one will be able to loot two items, so both get their three items
    Die Qualität verhält sich nicht zwingend proportional zur Masse...

Meisterangler vor dem perfekten Rogen...
    +Kaiserstadt, Wrothgar, Hew's Fluch, Goldküste, Vvardenfell, Stadt der Uhrwerke, Sommersend, Artaeum, Trübmoor, Elsweyr (nördliches & südliches), Graumoor, Reik, Dunkelforst

[PC][DC]Zunft der Helden[PvX]
    Feierabendgilde mit Ambitionen
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-pick
    Pick x3 because I understand there are actual real life human beings behind the playable characters around me, so I'll treat them with the same common decency I treat people with IRL because I don't have mental health issues.

ETA: I don't care if someone stabs NPCs.
    Edited by Pele on September 7, 2017 7:10AM
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SFDB wrote: »
    I usually see two groups of people running around Vvardenfell looking for the elusive motifs, with a contrasting approach. Which do you feel is the way players ought to act?

Group 1 adheres to the pick-pick-stab technique, minimizing the chance of getting caught while getting to the third loot item. These people steer clear of others who are already picking an NPCs pocket.

Group 2 is the pick-pick-pick group. They will pickpocket an NPC that is already being pickpocketed and will not stab (and will complain if the other player stabs).

there is no etiquete, you do it as you feel
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Blade-of-Woeing someone that another player is pickpocketing is just crappy, and akin to leaving a single lockpick in a treasure chest.

Full ack. But there are a lot of people out there apparently that get joy out of ruining experiences for others. It's why the group finder is such a cess pool too in part.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Czeri
    Czeri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    If you only pick, you leave the NPC with empty pockets for other players. If you kill them, they respawn with full inventory in a couple of minutes.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    Honestly I'm not sure. I've heard that pick-pick-stab makes their inventory spawn faster, but who knows. I just wish there wasn't so much dependence on stealing, like how it's the only way to get the new motifs. Q_Q I have to exit roleplay mode and do things my character wouldn't all so I can learn new motifs. It's dreadful. Though the systems itself is well-designed and enjoyable.
    Roll another character who is a "contact" of your first, you never ask how they get the wares you want but they always do.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Etiquette is how the man keeps us in line
    Stick it to the man.

PC EU
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I try to let players get one pick before I kill. When that happens the npc will have 2 items(or more if they had style items) on their dead body for players that got 1 pick in, or 1 for players that got 2 picks in.

However there are times this isn't feasible... 3 or more other players with one of them getting agro can increase the time spent on the NPC considerably. If this happens I will just pick pick kill with no regards for the other players and then move on to a different area as that one is no longer worth the time.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-pick
    Honestly I think expecting any sort of etiquette in this game is kind of like expecting hogs to have table manners. I rarely run into anyone who cares about how what they do affects others.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have to ask the questions then perhaps you are not of enough importance to have obtained and read the charters of the Thieves Guild yes? Or perhaps you should read them more carefully.

You do not steal from another pocket technician - the preferred term in our line of business - that includes any hapless pocket walkers they have their eyes on already.

You do not get in the way of, or impede, another pocket technician in their work - killing when another has their eye on the prize is included in this.

You do not do anything that would alert the guards to the work of another pocket technician.

You do not summon your fence in the face of another pocket technician.

Honour among pocket technicians is most important. Respect your fellow professionals as you go about your work and we will all prosper as a result.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • magicsprout
    magicsprout
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly pick pick stab but wait till anyone with me gets a go. Some feral idiots running round right now just killing a mark if they see perceived competition. Or in the case of the numpty with the great sword couple days ago just bashing down marks every rime i was in position some annoying little trolls
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's kind of funny to talk about ethics of stealing and murdering if you look at it from npcs point of view :D "Is it better to steal 3 times or to steal 2 times then kill and steal from the dead body?"

(I know this is the only way to farm new motifs, I'm just saying there's a certain irony in that)
  • Niobium
    Niobium
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-pick
    Pick Pick Pick ..if no one is around I'll stab at the end to get the NPC to respawn with full pockets for me. I tend to go for out of the way NPC's in the wilderness rather than those in town because there are too many petty little people who enjoy stabbing for the sake of being.. well, petty little people.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Unless the other player is interfering with your mark. Then it's game on.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    Pele wrote: »
    Pick x3 because I understand there are actual real life human beings behind the playable characters around me, so I'll treat them with the same common decency I treat people with IRL because I don't have mental health issues.

ETA: I don't care if someone stabs NPCs.

i don't understand so much of this post. i truly mean well, so i know it's way more courteous to pick-pick-stick an NPC and hasten the respawn with inventory, because the alternative is making fellow players stalk an empty vessel, and then kill it just to wait for 5 more minutes. it seems like me doing that would be unnecessarily inconveniencing myself with the effect of further inconveniencing other players and that would make me think i was not above mental health issues.
    maybe there was a joke that went over my head?

and what does "ETA" mean in this context? not the Estimated Time of Arrival usual on this forum, right?
    i am missing something
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few loops I run when picking pockets. If I encounter another player anywhere in my loop I follow for a bit and if it looks like they are going to be grabbing from more than one NPC in my loop I move on to something else.

Others helping themselves to loot around me not only takes away from the items I can steal, they often get caught and guards end up facing a different direction than what I normally encounter. That can really mess things up, so better to just leave for a while.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember, if you group you all share the loot. So if you are in the same farming loop, then just group up and everyone benefits. No need to run and scramble over one another.
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Deheart
    Deheart
    ✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-pick
    Honestly, I tend to never even consider killing when pick pocketing. Usually it is harder to kill a "friendly" npc without getting bounties for me than it is to pick pocket them.
    As a casual player I was satisfied that at one point I had a char max level and near max crafting with almost all motifs and I pretty much lost interest. Then ESO discovered DLC's and now my main is just a wanabe and I am happily pulled back into the game.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    and leave the person who is doing it alone.
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Patrus
    Patrus
    ✭✭✭
    Pick-pick-stab
    LMar wrote: »
    Remember, if you group you all share the loot. So if you are in the same farming loop, then just group up and everyone benefits. No need to run and scramble over one another.

You don't need to be in group. If you allready have picked the npc one time and then another Player stabs, you have the loot too.
    Edited by Patrus on September 7, 2017 9:48AM