The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Craglorn as a solo player

ATEK302
ATEK302
I've solo'd a couple group delves and quests. I'm CP221 heavy attack build sorc. Geared up in necro, ilambris, willpower, sharpened staves.

I decided to do shada's tear with my wife.

WRONG...

Couldn't down the blacksmith boss in left wing. So we skipped that quest and cleansed water. Finished right wing. Went into center. Got stuck at spider boss...

Is this how the rest of Craglorn is?
I can solo skyreach, but not this place? When I mean solo akyreach, I mean clear it completely. Upper and lower.
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really? One Tamriel update made everything in craglorn easy to solo.

Only challenges are the anomalies and random portals. Only those two situations i spec my char as if i am in vMSA (solo surviving gear). I actually redid craglorn on 3 of my chars after one tamriel (since zenimax reset the whole zone).

I did Spellscar, Elinhir and Skyreach solo as well as catacombs (if i recall). I 2 man-ed Shada's Tear once, no issues really.

This is done on a magicka dragonknight CP630 5 light, 1 medium and 1 heavy gear.
    Edited by ZoM_Head on June 26, 2017 12:06PM
    mDKs still need a lot of love!
  • Balsagna
    Balsagna
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bosses in the wings are pretty easy once you get the mechanic down. There is a large rock on the right side of one of the bosses that allows you to LoS for a second to catch your breath. Just be careful you can reset the boss.

Shada on the other hand is not easy. The mages that spawn on the 4 platforms are essentially one shot kill and need to be interrupted. It was designed for each member of the group to sit on a platform. You can try to avoid it by using the columns but if you make any mistakes (likely) it probably won't end well.

This is my favorite place in Craglorn. It's a good challenge for the solo player.
  • Insomnia rex
    Insomnia rex
    ✭✭✭
    You should be able to solo this esp. with sorc. Gear looks dope (I assume at least epic). How do you die? With the blacksmith I assume mechanics. What happens at the spider? Are you are using a shield skill with your sorc?
    CP630 AR20 PC EU, Alt Mag Sorc AD - Insomnicia Rex
  • blacksghost
    blacksghost
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZoM_Head wrote: »

Only challenges are the anomalies and random portals. Only those two situations i spec my char as if i am in vMSA (solo surviving gear). I actually redid craglorn on 3 of my chars after one tamriel (since zenimax reset the whole zone).

I did Spellscar, Elinhir and Skyreach solo as well as catacombs (if i recall). I 2 man-ed Shada's Tear once, no issues really.

This is done on a magicka dragonknight CP630 5 light, 1 medium and 1 heavy gear.

There are times I really wish this forum had a disagree button.!!!

Finding anyone to do craglorn with is a PITA, and for we mere mortals, its not soluble in the main. some parts may be..even dual handed its not "easy".

Sorry but, if you ask for help you are criticised for begging to be carried, if you don't magically match a helpers expectation you are criticised, if you want to go steady . be systematic or god for bid don't use the broken group finder, or voice or can't fight and hold conversations in text ..you are criticised and damned!

Yeah I know "git gud"
    Everything will be alright in the end, if its not alright its not the end.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ATEK302 wrote: »
    I've solo'd a couple group delves and quests. I'm CP221 heavy attack build sorc. Geared up in necro, ilambris, willpower, sharpened staves.

WRONG...

Couldn't down the blacksmith boss in left wing. So we skipped that quest and cleansed water. Finished right wing. Went into center. Got stuck at spider boss...

I can solo skyreach, but not this place? When I mean solo akyreach, I mean clear it completely. Upper and lower.

Well, I solod the blacksmith easily. I however got stuck with the sirene women in the water. And I died first boss in skyreach. So I am sure you could do the blacksmith. When he retreats and hammers you have to go under the shield.

I also died at school of warriors. I will try again tonight in craglorn with my new outfittings.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After One Tamriel but before morrowind nerfs, I did almost all group dailies there alone (only Pinnacle I did with a friend whole run, each of us died one time). After completing each of them , I thought "Never again, or only with group..." I would never even think about going there now, after nerfs :|

I spent more than 4 hours in Shada's Tear, gave up on Spider Boss after many wipes and skipped it, and after many wipes on Shada I just had to ask a friend to help cause otherwise it would mean I wasted all that time for nothing.
    blacksmith boss

Funny that when I first saw that boss, I was sure it will be the easiest one... It was a mistake ;)
    And one of Shada's sisters/daughters... When few dragonknight adds spawn and all chain you at the same time and after, and you can't break free and get CC immunity and just easily killed by boss while stuck in "traveling" - nice design :)

As for Skyreach catacombs daily, it was almost as awful as Shada's Tear - trio of bosses which all attack at once made me think argonian archers in vMA were not that bad... And last Lich boss with snaring adds made me think Voriak was easier :/Luckily after few wipes on both those encounters, I didn't have to ask for help.

Another nightmare was School of Warriors - nightblade boss with "one shot" soul tether, and duo bosses at small arena.

Also Manticora boss with huge AOE one shot and a boss with few wraith adds who drain your life are awful, but I can't remember in which daily those are. I hate vMA, but even now it's better than all those dailies without a group.
  • ATEK302
    ATEK302
    You should be able to solo this esp. with sorc. Gear looks dope (I assume at least epic). How do you die? With the blacksmith I assume mechanics. What happens at the spider? Are you are using a shield skill with your sorc?

On the blacksmith, the big aoe circle hits me for 42k. Even if I kill all the sparks.

The spider rams me with venom injection. I survive most, but the random 23k hit downs me with the adds too.

I use hardened ward. Power surge, spam my fire blockade, liquid lightning, daedric prey, and pet pulse. Heavy attack.
  • jkolb2030
    jkolb2030
    ✭✭✭

There are times I really wish this forum had a disagree button.!!!

Finding anyone to do craglorn with is a PITA, and for we mere mortals, its not soluble in the main. some parts may be..even dual handed its not "easy".

Sorry but, if you ask for help you are criticised for begging to be carried, if you don't magically match a helpers expectation you are criticised, if you want to go steady . be systematic or god for bid don't use the broken group finder, or voice or can't fight and hold conversations in text ..you are criticised and damned!

Yeah I know "git gud"

Well, really Craglorn was designed to be a group oriented zone. The update made things easier, but if you are still mid range cp, not in best in slot gear, and a relatively casual player the content will still be difficult.

unfortunately, most of the people hanging out in craglorn are the end game people who will be-little you for anything - its just how it is, sadly - but i would still try to find a small group to run craglorn with. It's much more enjoyable.
  • Insomnia rex
    Insomnia rex
    ✭✭✭

On the blacksmith, the big aoe circle hits me for 42k. Even if I kill all the sparks.

The spider rams me with venom injection. I survive most, but the random 23k hit downs me with the adds too.

I use hardened ward. Power surge, spam my fire blockade, liquid lightning, daedric prey, and pet pulse. Heavy attack.

After you kill the sparks. Do you stand in their protective circle?

Venom injection can be cleansed (as a sorc you only have access to this via pvp tree), but you should be able to avoid it if I remember correct.

As I said, equip is fine. It's now about avoiding those damage spikes. In any case, this, as others have mentioned, is fun, given that soloing group content is your definition of fun. Else it's group content for a reason.
  • ATEK302
    ATEK302

Venom injection can be cleansed (as a sorc you only have access to this via pvp tree), but you should be able to avoid it if I remember correct.

As I said, equip is fine. It's now about avoiding those damage spikes. In any case, this, as others have mentioned, is fun, given that soloing group content is your definition of fun. Else it's group content for a reason.

I don't stand in their circles. It's the huge aoe red circle that blacksmith does. Is there no way to keep that from happening or avoiding it?
  • Insomnia rex
    Insomnia rex
    ✭✭✭

Edit: You do use matriarch & familiar or just the latter? (Sorry for the unintended double post :( )
    Edited by Insomnia rex on June 26, 2017 1:58PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadas Tear is actually a pretty good challenge. Months ago I tried soloing it (before 1T) but couldn't get past the Spider. I later learned through a patch note that the attack she does from the ceiling was actually a bug (she would hit you with invisible 23k attacks). After that was patched I had a much easier time with it on my Templar.

And yes, for the Blacksmith you need to stand in the protective circles from killing the sparks.
  • Magıc
    Magıc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shada is a ***. I had to run corrosive and an ult gen/low damage build for max corrosive spam to do her on my sDK. Rest of craglorn is easy peasy.
    Edited by Magıc on June 26, 2017 4:20PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craglorn, other than the shortened Main Quest, is still a group zone. One Tamriel did not change that. While most content can be solo'd with the right build and rotations, you should not expect it just because they nerfed the Main Quest.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ATEK302
    ATEK302
    danno8 wrote: »
    Shadas Tear is actually a pretty good challenge. Months ago I tried soloing it (before 1T) but couldn't get past the Spider. I later learned through a patch note that the attack she does from the ceiling was actually a bug (she would hit you with invisible 23k attacks). After that was patched I had a much easier time with it on my Templar.

And yes, for the Blacksmith you need to stand in the protective circles from killing the sparks.

Hahaha, awesome! Had no clue. Thank you for that!
    Blacksmith shouldn't be an issue now.
  • ATEK302
    ATEK302
    Nestor wrote: »
    Craglorn, other than the shortened Main Quest, is still a group zone. One Tamriel did not change that. While most content can be solo'd with the right build and rotations, you should not expect it just because they nerfed the Main Quest.

Where do I get the main quest from?
  • ATEK302
    ATEK302

Edit: You do use matriarch & familiar or just the latter? (Sorry for the unintended double post :( )

I use just familiar. Should I substitute matriarch in over bound aegis?
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

WRONG...

I did Elinhir the other day. Challenging but doable as solo. Also I've done main quest but I think that was scaled for solo since the Craglorn update a while back.

Edit: Just realized how many times I said "solo" sry for irrtating post.
    Edited by purple-magicb16_ESO on June 26, 2017 2:42PM
    I don't comment here often but when I do, I get [snip]
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Iirc the sparks form circles of safety as they die. Are you standing in those?
    Edited by Magdalina on June 26, 2017 3:51PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I use just familiar. Should I substitute matriarch in over bound aegis?

I commonly use both pets when soloing, for several reasons:
    • I like the heal.
    • DPS is better in single-target fights.
    • The Twilight may soak up a bit of damage for me.

Aegis may be better for AoE DPS, but I'm OK with that tradeoff. And I don't care about the mitigation, since I try to keep my shield up at all (important) times anyway. (Not coincidentally, I use Empowered Ward.)
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on June 26, 2017 4:18PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Where do I get the main quest from?

Near the Belkarth Wayshrine is a Sign Post with a Quest Marker on it, activate that. Or talk to the guy near the cart about Star Gazers.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• VinyParsley2016
    VinyParsley2016
    ✭✭✭✭

No, not everything is easy to solo. If you feel random portals is a challenge, then I bet you never solo 7.2M HP Boss in Craglorn.
  • Insomnia rex
    Insomnia rex
    ✭✭✭
    Just to piggyback on @FrancisCrawford's comment. I too would suggest using the matriarch over bound aegis, esp. if it's damage spikes that kill you and not your health/mag slowly running empty. The rest is mechanics like understanding that the spark circles protect you or that you can cleanse or avoid the injection.

Personally I love to solo stuff exactly for what happened to @ATEK302. You often hit a wall because most content is designed in such a way that you can burn through, minimally caring about the mechanics. If you solo suddenly bosses have phases/ behaviour that you never knew before and you need to work around that.
  • Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭

WRONG...

I managed to complete everything solo in Craglorn after One Tamriel (before Morrowind) with ~400cp character, and the spider and the other boss in this dungeon were the hardest ones for me. Took me a long time to figure out how to kill them. For example, while killing the spider you can destroy its web by using AoE spells before adds escape it and start to attack you. Also you need to remember when it drops from the ceiling and so on.
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

WRONG...

Such a waste of a well crafted group dungeon, its sad they never made this into a true VR four man. nothing in there anyhow but decons
  • obscure7
    obscure7
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've soloed everything in Craglorn after the One Tamriel patch. The 2 bosses that were extremely difficult to solo and really stick in my mind were Shada (in Shada's Tear) and the Arena (in Rahni'Za School of Warriors). The rest of the bosses are still difficult, but should be possible with a bit of practice once you learn their mechanics.

I'm talking of course about the content that is designed for groups. The solo stuff is easy as pie.
    PC NA