The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why can't I finish Maelstrom

• Darnathian
    Darnathian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These guys are right. Two weeks on first clear. Now done it 4 times in two days. Down to 90 minutes. Loot sux tho. Lol
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »

I know he must be instantly interrupted. Collect the gold ghosts that make a beeline to the boss with a quickness. Twice they have spawned literally right behind the boss and I e not much chance getting it. And now the boss is empowered. Just shitluck. Few times now the ghosts way out in the lava and won't come in. Wtf am I to do?

I used to think sometimes the ghosts spawn right behind the boss as well. Actually, this is an illusion. They spawn way out in the lava and head twords the boss but after a bit he will then often teleport to right next to them. You won't have noticed they had spawned until then because they were not near anything and so it seems like they spawn right next to him. It takes some time to get experience enough to shake off the tunnel vision and see things like this.

As for the Ghosts getting stuck and crem guard unstunned, I don't know what to tell you. I have seen some glitchy *** in vMA though not specifically that. I have only done it once since morrowind though so maybe it is new or maybe I have just not had the pleasure.

Best of luck. The teleport into a ghosts path thing got me plenty of times let me tell you.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • Draqone
    Draqone
    ✭✭✭✭
    I completed vMA recently on my warden and what I can say is:

During the crystal phase it's not bad to jump down. If you have ulti, jump down, kill the beasties and go up. Learn how to do it and don't try to complete the entire crustal phase in one go.

Also, use sigils.
    ESO Balance:
    “All skills are equal, but some skills are more equal than others.”
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sunah wrote: »
    @Lukums1 Thanks! Ill start farming this gear asap. What would you recommend for skills? I am fairly new to the stamplar world.

@Sunah

Haha all good,

Stamplar I did NMG, Khrags or Veli is fine, VO 5 piece if not agility is still more than fine.

(forgive me on skill names)

Jabs, evil hunter, Trap beast, vigor, caltrops (if you're good with resources if not don't do it).
    Blazing shield Restoring Aura, Nova ulti.

Honestly the above is all I put on my bars (Yes I had gaps) flawless easy. Jabs are stupid even in todays day and age.

Any issues let me know mate

Luke

PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've spent a lot of time in here over the long weekend and got no closer to beating it than I have been. I've no idea how I can still be this bad at the game. It totally boggles my mind. I should have this place on farm mode by now. Not giving up, but I must admit to being deeply frustrated.

nerf Maelstrom.

ps WTH with the crazy lag spikes?
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've spent a lot of time in here over the long weekend and got no closer to beating it than I have been. I've no idea how I can still be this bad at the game. It totally boggles my mind. I should have this place on farm mode by now. Not giving up, but I must admit to being deeply frustrated.

nerf Maelstrom.

ps WTH with the crazy lag spikes?

Happy to spend time with you one on one if you like.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mag sorc is by far the easiest class to beat vma with, dark exchange, power surge, huge shield from hardened ward, great damage, great sustain, good damage mitigation if using pets.
    If youre struggling with a mag sorc, u just need to practice cause there isnt an easier class to beat vma with.

Seems like youre struggling with the crystal stage, my advise for this fight only, slot overload, if youre running low on magicka, pop power surge and dot a crystal then use overload.

Does great damage despite the nerf to ultumate saving and dont even have to use elegant set.
    by the time overload is over, you should have melted two crystals and the last crystal is gg.
    Just make sure to pay attention to his skull attack, roll dodge if you have the stam, block if youre low cause the last thing you need is to get knocked off and deal with a crem guard.

If the soul churn DOT is getting too strong, it means youre not pumping out enough dps, cause yea, you could jump down but again, dealing with that crem guard is a pain.

once crystals are down, grab the defense and speed sigil. he will immediately use his necro swarm attack, let him slowly kill himself while you beat him down and grab a ghost. speed sigil really helps with sustain and speed. again, if youre not pumping enough dps, youre gonna have to prioritize the summoner, unless you want to deal with an op skeleton.

grab 3 ghosts, kill the crem guard and the boss, its pretty much game over from there.
    you will beat it
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes that's it. I've spent many many hours in there trying. The defense sigil gets me up to the crystal phase reliably. But after 2 rock walls the soul churn gets a bit overwhelming. Falling down and coming back up has been not so great. I've been learning though and have been sooo close.
    I could save the defense sigil for the end, but never know which time is gonna be the good run and been having much better luck getting there using it first.
    I will give overload a try later. Thanks.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Spent all night in there on StamBlade. Felt like my best combo was VO/ Hundings w 2H/ Kraghs or Chudan. The lag though....and then being kicked...actually everyone in chat was kicked. When I got back on my toon was in rivenspire so had to get there again.

Burned through a stack of soul gems and speed pots.

I can get to the crystal phase without using defense sigil, but only if bow ulti is up and if fires off correctly....basically everything has to go right and often times I get splattered by the cream guard and clanfear so really don't like this strategy.

Otherwise, boss spawns; burn him down he teleports, I grab defense sigil, burn him down a little more. He teleports to go upstairs, now a crematorial guard and clanfear are right in my face. They kind of squishy and go down quick....many times the clanfear gets it right there so have to wait for another to spawn near the portal. It has helped grabbing the power and speed sigils here before going upstairs to the crystal.

Man I hate the crystal phase. These tanky things with 200k health would be a pain enough without soul churn, Boss meteor you to death and throwing skulls at you then you have to hide behind some fast moving walls and the soul churn is ramping up damage the longer it takes.
    When I fall down to regroup, there's another angry cream guard and clanfear waiting to pounce and those stupid ghosts floating around. There's almost always frostbite in my death recaps.

I only got to the final stage twice and it's so frantic. I interrupt him right off the bat. DPS for a second and chase ghost. He teleports, I kill narnynz and get more ghost. Burn the boss. Then cream guard comes in as I get ghost. Do the spectral blast and blam. Took too long and the guard melted me.

That was my best run. After a year of playing. I so totally hate this place. I've many friends that I've helped beat this from tips I've been given, but I can't do it. They have it on farm mode now and I'm still stuck. I'll probably not remember any the rest of this arena if I ever get back to it.

See videos of how to do it. You see 2~3 minutes of the most epic gameplay ever witnessed. I could really do without the crappy techno music all the kids put in.

You see nowhere else in this game that needs this level of gameplay. Heck, the 2H is terrible in dungeons. Here I wreck mobs in a simple 3 hit combo. Simple Vet dungeon mobs need a full rotation or 2. I would probably go DW but it's still broken so had to learn 2H.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Spent all night in there on pet Sorc. Before it got too late I was so freaking close. I actually would have had it if not for the stupid ghost Swarm frostbites. I did try overload for some time for the crystal phase. It's gonna take some time I'm not used to it and slow to turn it on or realize when it's out or how to turn it off when I need to. It hits hard, but I'm not good at it. The destro ult is great, but costly.

That stupid scamp messed me up quite a few times. He wouldn't let the clanfear come to the portal or would kill it and have to wait for another to spawn and quite possibly another cream guard.

Getting better at the crystal phase. I've bout memorized when to roll the heavies. Having much much better luck stay moving running around the circle and just WoE LL Prey them and move on.

I've changed my bar to double lightning staff. I don't really know if this is better or not. Changed CP to have a bit more in staff expert. The heavy attack absolutely melts stuff but I often have to cut it short to roll out the way.

I also put the light armor shield on so have shields on both bars for this fight....but I really wish I'd left mages wrath on for my best run when I really didn't need the shield so much as a little execute damage. I had him at %9. So flustered I can't think straight

Could have thrown the controller through the TV.

My son is watching me play. He says I got robbed. Tell me that game is such trash why do you keep playing? Have you seen horizon zero dawn.

This is ridiculous. Probably why only %0.25 of players have beat it.
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact you got to the last boss on a Stamina NB is beyond amazing. That is one of the hardest classes to beat it on. I first beat VMA on a mageblade khajiit and spent half a month on the last round/boss. It is very frustrating but rewarding. Keep at it. When everyone says you will get it, they mean it. And after you beat it once, it gets a lot easier and you will fly through the rounds like crazy.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Chiefpoppasquat
      Kyle keep at it. My first clear came on stam dk and after beating on dk can breeze thru on mag sorc I do like tri pots for last round on mag sorc for recovery bonus. Listen to @Lukums1 he's helped so many also has guide. On sorc negate is like a good skooma high
    • kylewwefan
      kylewwefan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      . I've been in here all night and can't get anywhere. I clear the whole level in 10 minutes and can't do nothing onlast boss. I'm try again tomorrow. Did not even make it down from crystal phase at all tonight.

So GD frustrated.

• kylewwefan
      kylewwefan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Another night wasted away in this GD place. FML. DW is working again. Now I've got used to 2H. I need a DPS coach for reals though. I can't seem to break 20K and that feel like throwing everything and the kitchen sink at it.
    • Danksta
      Danksta
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Another night wasted away in this GD place. FML. DW is working again. Now I've got used to 2H. I need a DPS coach for reals though. I can't seem to break 20K and that feel like throwing everything and the kitchen sink at it.

I'm no pro but I get at least close to 30k solo on the classes I play. I wouldn't mind sitting in front of a dummy with you for a while. I'm in Aedra, name is in my sig. I probably won't be on much until Sunday.
      BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Defilted
      Defilted
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Practice

Practice

Practice

This is how you beat VMA. This is how I beat it.

Also I believe ranged characters that have effective DPS are much easier for completing VMA.
      XBOX NA
      XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
    • kylewwefan
      kylewwefan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Thanks. I'll take you up on that later.

Practice lol. Practice is how I'm able to fly through the level and get to the last round very easily at this point. I hit a major stumbling block at the second phase of the fight and I feel like a total noob at the last stage. The problem is getting there enough to get the practice where I need it.

Normal doesn't help. Not one bit. Everything dies to light attacks. Nothing hits hard enough that 238 health recovery can't take care of.

You get punished pretty harshly if it takes a little too long at stage 2. Jumping down and having to deal with an angry daedroth moving to you in fast forward is miserable. The clanfear is enough of a pain. I'm not recovered from the fall damage and this guy is melting me.

The last stage I've not much experience. It's a blur every times I get there. It be great if I can get through crystal phase more consistently. It just has you running frantically avoiding meteors with CC and hide behind walls.

Even when I've seen videos of people with the lowest score possible, they look pro on that last fight. I feel like an idiot shouldn't even be in here.
    • CrazyWolf712
      CrazyWolf712
      ✭✭✭
      The only way I was able to complete the last stage was when my husband let me borrow his crit/health potions. It gave me enough damage and healing to finish him off quickly. You're so close!
    • bebynnag
      bebynnag
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      there is a lot of posts here and i havent read them all
      so im sorry if im repeating advice you have already received

but getting to the last round of the last stage is easy for you right?
      at this point quit the game (dashboard yourself) clear your saved data and load straight bk in. (you have 10 min to get bk in before it resets the round)
      i play on xbox this helps prevent lag it should work on ps4
      this may be enough to get you your complete

if not remember these things

you dont need craxzy high DPS for vMA,

stop comparing yourself to people who are running vMA for the 1,000th time this week, and are able to do it flawlessly in under 30min
      you are not at their level yet - they have BIS weapons - which you dont have yet cause your chasing your 1st complete

OPENING
      if you cant burn the boss enough to force him upstairs everytime - dont try, save your ultimate for when the daedroth comes out so you can nuke it, the healer & deal damage on a boss (you should be able to stack all 3 very easily)

on your stamblade i recommend using rend over dawnbreaker, the damage of the ultimate itself is high but more importantly the heal is insane
      i know dawnbreaker buffs ALL your damage - but rend keeps you alive, and you deal more damage alive than you do dead! ;)

CRYSTALS
      the crystals you can destroy one & move on to the next OR take each to execute stage before finishing all 3 off, both are valid tactics - go with whichever one works best for you

jump/roll into the centre of the platform if you cant reach the rotating wall, it gives you control over the landing and means you can avoid the CC you would get if being pushed off

avoid the stupid, block the/roll dodge the skulls, hide behind the wall, keep your heals up sounds easy - but it can get overwhelming - esp when the adrenaline is pumping, which it is for many people working towards their first complete which is why you could try the slow & steady technique

SLOW & STEADY
      destroy 1 crystal at a time jumping downstairs whenever you have an ulitimate
      coming down resets the soul churn dot that is on you constantly while your upstairs,
      abosultley nothing wrong with it,
      deal with whatever is downstairs, (drop your ult)
      go bk upstairs & finish off where you left off

DOWNSTAIRS AGAIN

reflect synergy (the shield) is your priority, grab this asap, boss does his spammable, which is insta reflected bk at him - dealing huge amounts of damage, while you are composing yourself shield up/heal up/pop a potion

if you do not have access to major expidition, the speed buff will help ensure you get all the ghosts

save your ultimates for the daedroth,

in an ideal world you will have ALL the gold ghosts and will be able to activate the synergy before dropping said ult on top of the daedroth who is conveniently stood right next to the boss who is stood right on top of the summoner....

if that doesn't happen its ok, keep calm,
      drop your ult on the daedroth, drop enough dots on the summoner that they go down,
      compose yourself - make sure the daedroth & summoner are down before concentrating on the boss,

always dodge the skull

if the synergy runs out before the boss dies - remember to interrupt him

repeat as necessary

i am in no doubt that your DPS is high enough to complete it, just remeber you are not chasing a leaderboard score, you are chasing your 1st complete
      you do not need to be perfect
      you will get better with time
      at the moment you are stood infront of a huge brickwall stop hitting your head against it & take the slow & steady path around it!
    • Lukums1
      Lukums1
      ✭✭✭✭
      Kyle keep at it. My first clear came on stam dk and after beating on dk can breeze thru on mag sorc I do like tri pots for last round on mag sorc for recovery bonus. Listen to @Lukums1 he's helped so many also has guide. On sorc negate is like a good skooma high

:)

The last boss is easy on all stam/mag classes with whatever gear these days.

People still fail to understand basic concepts. Not that I'm saying you do.

As mentioned in many other posts (same for all classes stam or mag) do the below.

Engage boss.
      Boss teleports.
      Defensive Sigil
      Take out add to the left
      Continue on Boss
      Ulti CG (You'll still have 10 seconds on defensive shield to mitigate all damage)
      Continue on boss phase.

Crystals
      best to always move 1 way to ensure meteors always fall behind you.
      Don't fall down middle wait for the push back into lava to get a full arena wide view on where the boss is situated
      If you're in front of Power/HASTE grab it if you're in front of Healing IGNORE.
      Interrupt boss collecting the sigil above on your way to him (if out of your way) ignore.

Kill add towards middle, buys you an extra 30 seconds of time.
      Collect ghosts.
      When he goes to summon the CG IGNORE BOSS AND CG by collecting the 3rd gold ghost for explosion and burn them down together! collect Healing on your way back from the 3rd ghost for an easy kill ignoring the rest of the adds coming into middle.

It's the easiest way to do it, I've done in hundreds of times on all classes apart from templar but can safely say if you want your kills I'd be doing the above.

Luke

PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• kylewwefan
      kylewwefan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Thanks Luke. I've been in there every day for the last GD month and I'm taking a break from it.
    • DRXHarbinger
      DRXHarbinger
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Having a read through this, seems the crystals is the harder part for you. Which way are you going around the circle? Are you going right immediately to the 2nd crystal? This is generally the better way as the walls then come to you and saves all the running around and dps loss on the crystals.

Have you tried it on your DK? I did it with no vigor and just using rally for a heal at just over 300CP back in the day, just kill the 2nd crystal and jump down with corrosive armor on and kill the crem guard with ease. back up for easy mode.

Magdk is truly easy mode, just a decent heavy attack build destroys it, you can DOT up the final crystal at 30% health and jump down and it kills it without worry.
      PC Master Race

1001CP
      8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
      Master Angler
      Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
      Tamriel Hero
      Grand Overlord
      Every Skyshard
      Down With BOP!
    • kylewwefan
      kylewwefan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      If the walls are going clockwise, I'm usually running counterclockwise. I hadn't made it very far on mag DK. Actually haven't tried much. Just StamBlade and petSorc at last round.

I'm about fed up with it though. I've been spending hours a day in there everyday for the last month and just not getting anywhere. Crystal phase has been the biggest stumbling block by far.

I've tried a few different setups. Changed CP, respec. Picked up sharp and precise necro staffs both fire and lightning and gold them out. Broke as I've ever been now BTW. This place is just cancer. It sucks all the life, fun and enjoyment out of the game.

Yesterday started the Mayhem event and the game has performed so bad. So bad.

I appreciate all the support but really feel the developer missed the mark with this content. The Level of play required to clear the arena much less farm it to get what you need is beyond me.
    • Dantaria
      Dantaria
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'm about fed up with it though. I've been spending hours a day in there everyday for the last month and just not getting anywhere. Crystal phase has been the biggest stumbling block by far.

I've tried a few different setups. Changed CP, respec. Picked up sharp and precise necro staffs both fire and lightning and gold them out. Broke as I've ever been now BTW. This place is just cancer. It sucks all the life, fun and enjoyment out of the game.
      Look, listen :)

vMA is your personal, I would even dare say intimate affair. It isn't about CPs or gear that much, though they certainly helps. But it's 1st and furthermost about finding a strategy you're comfortable with.

Take me, for example. I'm far from best player, I'm not Gilliam or Alcast. I struggled a lot with Crystal phase on my 1st time and struggle still (I only completed vMA 3 times for now).

So what do I do? I cheese it. Completely and braindeadly.

1) Dodging skull? Pfff, sorry, too damn hard, I can't multitask. I just perma-Harness-Magicka.

The trick is to stay very close to inner edge. If you stay close to inner edge, the skull will throw you back, but it won't throw you down. Got hit - press break-free asap and continue onward.

2) Noticing wall in time? Pfff, sorry, too damn hard, I can't multitask. So I use Haste sigil for this phase. Yep, damn right. I'm too bad to react in time, so I just use Haste sigil in Crystal Phase - and boom, and done :)

No good experienced player in their right mind would do what I do. But guess what? It works for me :)

So calm down, make a deep breath and ask yourself, what is it exactly that you struggle with? Meteors and walls are too much? Just use Haste sigil for this phase than, like I do - trust me, his next phase can be done without it, I have 100% authority on it :D

vMA is about personally you and only you. So "actually, go ahead and cheat" (c) ;) Cheese it. Find your flaw and simply play around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJscrxxl_Bg

English isn't my native, apologies for any mistakes.
    • TheRealSniker
      TheRealSniker
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Why can't I finish Maelstrom

Cause you suck.
      Git gud.

https://media.tenor.com/images/7e74226a6f23782bc2449cb2e7967ece/tenor.gif

• kylewwefan
      kylewwefan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I think you may be right. WTB essence of git güd
      Edited by kylewwefan on August 8, 2017 11:26AM
    • kylewwefan
      kylewwefan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      It is finished. This thread may now RIP. Sharpened axe and precise dagger
    • tommalmm
      tommalmm
      ✭✭✭
      Congrats. Now take some rest and do it again. You'll see how easy it will become all of the sudden :D.
    • Kanar
      Kanar
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It is finished. This thread may now RIP. Sharpened axe and precise dagger

Congratz!
    • reiverx
      reiverx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      You done it!

Nice one.