The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does the Nord need a buff?

Strider_Roshin
Strider_Roshin
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I've always been a big fan of Nords, and I recommend them for my PvP builds for my stamblade, but I never see anyone suggest Nords for anything DPS related.

Essentially when the question is asked "Which race for stam DPS?"
I see Khajiit, Redguard, Orc, Imperial, Wood elf, and now I'm even seeing suggestions for Argonians for resource management purposes.

I never see Nords get recommended. Heck even as tanks I usually see people use either Imperials or Argonians.

Do you guys feel like Nords need an adjustment? I don't feel weak using one, but the lack of usage makes me wonder if an adjustment is needed.
  • Sheey
    Sheey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Nord needs to be increased mag and hp. Since we have imperial having max stam and hp already.
  • Sheey
    Sheey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nord also should be like dumner increasing frostdamage by 7%
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resource mangement is becoming king.

Therefore any race with nothing to offer for resource regen is considered bad. The exception is magic races but magic in general relies on less recovery than stamina.

Personally i would recomend you pick the most badass race that speaks to you. A race whos butt you could enjoy watching shake around for hours on end, its why so many male players play female toons...they like their butts
    Edited by Baconlad on June 2, 2017 7:51PM
  • cheemers
    cheemers
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always been a big fan of Nords, and I recommend them for my PvP builds for my stamblade, but I never see anyone suggest Nords for anything DPS related.

I see Khajiit, Redguard, Orc, Imperial, Wood elf, and now I'm even seeing suggestions for Argonians for resource management purposes.

I never see Nords get recommended. Heck even as tanks I usually see people use either Imperials or Argonians.

Do you guys feel like Nords need an adjustment? I don't feel weak using one, but the lack of usage makes me wonder if an adjustment is needed.

I don't think Nords are particularly underpowered compared to the other races. I don't think people quite realise that "6% reduction in damage taken" can be translated as "6% extra health, 6% extra healing taken, 6% extra health recovery". I think the problem with Nords is that they don't excel at any one thing - they are very good at stamina pvp builds, especially with the +20% health recovery making them very strong troll king users, but they aren't the top of the table PvE DPS, tanks, or healers, meaning they get neglected slightly from that front. Nords are the tankiest race, but tanks in ESO are all about group support and sustain rather than self-survival.
    Youtube channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UCDQ7FrJ0AjMt2auffLEf_Pw

PS4 EU - 18 characters, all DC
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Nord tank would disagree. Don't take away my extra HP
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • KeiruNicrom
    KeiruNicrom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nords are definately the weakest race since all they have is defensive passives and they arent even that noticable in a fight partly due to how easily one can reach high damage reduction on any race. They need a damage increasing passive of some sort or a unique proc passive like redguard, imperial, and argonians have.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually the damage reduction passive is kinda weak. If it stacked properly with minor/major protection and CP mitigation it would be much better.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2h weapon line increase is OP. Seriously though, some kind of damage passive would be nice. I love my viking stamplar, but my redguard does better with sustain, so what's the point of pushing a sub optimal character if I have one that works better.

As for the nords tank response from LadyLavina, no one said anything about taking away any traits. If they would actually do this, I would hope they would drop one of the less useful traits.
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    nords needs cold damage and jarrin root for bow.
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    agreed nords need a buff. i think they should keep max health/recovery, and reduce incoming damage. id like to see a "reduce stam cost" or a +X bonus to max stam & mag, even recovery would be sweet.
    i would really like to have nords be a race you could play reliably as stam or mag and have the option to play either kinda like argonians, but more attractive :P
    Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
    Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
    Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
    Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
    Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
    Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
    Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
    Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
    Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
    Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
    Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
    Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LadyLavina wrote: »
    My Nord tank would disagree. Don't take away my extra HP

I have a Nord tank as well, and it works wonderfully with my health regen build. I wouldn't dare ask for anything to be taken away. Don't worry.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope,fine as is. A bit less max stats with dmg reduction. I play a nord sorc just fine
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't expect a class with damage reduction to be considered often for dps builds.

I'd say it's better suited for tanking but again, not my first or second choice. Maybe it should be buffed so it would be consider more often as a solid tank class as it's is clearly design for.

I heard Nords are milk drinkers. I think an argonian told me that.
    Edited by idk on June 2, 2017 8:49PM
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think if they were to add anything it should go along with the "Tough Warrior" persona they have going on with the Nords. I was thinking they could go one of two directions with it:

1) Increased damage by X% for Y seconds after receiving damage. This would work similar to the Wrath passive. Personally I think the amount should be 5 or 6% for 2/3 seconds. This way it's stronger than the Orc passive, but more situational.

2) Restore magicka and stamina by X amount for Y seconds after taking damage with a cool down. This would be analogous to the Constitution passive, and would be beneficial to both tanks, and DPS. My only concern is this type of passive might make tank builds stronger than they already are in PvP so I would prefer the first option.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    cheemers wrote: »

I don't think Nords are particularly underpowered compared to the other races. I don't think people quite realise that "6% reduction in damage taken" can be translated as "6% extra health, 6% extra healing taken, 6% extra health recovery". I think the problem with Nords is that they don't excel at any one thing - they are very good at stamina pvp builds, especially with the +20% health recovery making them very strong troll king users, but they aren't the top of the table PvE DPS, tanks, or healers, meaning they get neglected slightly from that front. Nords are the tankiest race, but tanks in ESO are all about group support and sustain rather than self-survival.

Here is a great discussion of the Nord passive for anyone curious.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the dr passive was doubled it might actually be noticeable.
  • subtlezeroub17_ESO
    subtlezeroub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    And you people still won't admit that racials are a hindrance to the game...
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nord racials should be fun. Like when drinking a potion in combat, your Nord throws the empty bottle at the enemy and knock him off balance.
    Or a super power where the Nord whistles and his goat comes and butts the enemy.
    Something fun.
    Not everything needs to be some flavorless stat +/-
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It just would be nice if they would actually be considered a viable race for PvE DPS. With that said, I do believe that they're the best stam race for PvP, and the best tank race. I suppose I'm just being greedy. Thanks for the replies everyone
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes but not too much now.

Also the best Stam races are Imperial Redguard and Orc just putting it out there( My opinion doe)
    Edited by Anti_Virus on June 2, 2017 10:43PM
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Nord needs a buff. What Nord needs is a makeover.
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
    Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
    Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
    Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
    Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
    Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
    What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
    Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton
  • kaorunandrak
    kaorunandrak
    ✭✭✭

The problem with that is the 6% damage reduction is reduced by your armor, it's not like the Major/minor Protection once your reach cap that 6% goes away making it useless
    Guild Leader of The Crimson Moon PVE/PVP NA
    Join CM! http://thecrimsonmoon.enjin.com/page/724665/recruitment?gid=72859-0

Kaoru Nandrak - V16 DK Stamina DPS 2h/Heavy
    Jaoul Deathbringer - V16 NB Stamina DPS DW/Medium
    Zantare Deshuld - V16 NB Magicka Sap Tank S&B/Heavy
    Jarl Nan'Drak - Sorc Magika DPS 2h/Light
    Vilder Ymirson- Temp Magika DPS DW/Light
    Graywulf Odakai- DK Magika Tank S&B/Heavy
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nords dont get a buff until Imperial Red DAMN DIAMOND GETS A REWORK! :p
    PS4 NA DC
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

in the past the way this 6% was calculated afaik it was way les than that...now everything is additive, maybe this too?

But i too think the nord has the weakest sets of benefits and could use a buff...e.g. frost damage plus, stamina recovery or increase the bonus to health/stamina or some sort of physical damage bonus....

Honestly to me it is alos INCREDIBLY weird and inconstistant WHY an imperial should have the highest bonus to stamina and health and a higher one that a nord...it just makes no sense lorewise

I do think imperials need a rework cause they bonus is just really lore unfriendly...and i do think nords need a rework cause their bonus makes them the least attractive (and probably leaast utilized) race.....

a cool bonus imo could be what the warden was taken away - a bonus to physical and cold damage....
    Edited by Nemesis7884 on June 3, 2017 12:33AM
  • MyKillv2.0
    MyKillv2.0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nords are just fine, 9health 6%sta, 6mit is perfectly fine for being a Tanky race. I hope they do not change anything.

If anything, I wish they would give Imperials Magic bonus too. Makes no sense to me to pay extra money to play a race that gives me no advantage as a magic user since the game leans heavily in that regard
  • sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you say give 3% melee damage like orc since orcs got healing received for no reason.
    NA-Xbox one- Ebonheart Pact- Nord Tank DK
    PC-NA Ebonheart Pact Nord Stam Templar
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, they always brag about how great they are and how weak other races are. *** 'em.
  • binaryAegis
    The problem with that is the 6% damage reduction is reduced by your armor, it's not like the Major/minor Protection once your reach cap that 6% goes away making it useless
    in the past the way this 6% was calculated afaik it was way les than that...now everything is additive, maybe this too?

The 6% scales multiplicatively, but that doesn't make it as bad as many people make it out to be, and contrary to popular belief it's effectiveness isn't reduced as you increase your mitigation from other sources. Casparian already linked to my reddit thread that explains all the math behind this (This one), but the TL;DR is that, regardless of whatever other armor or mitigation your character has, the 6% damage reduction you get from Rugged will always give you the effective equivalent of 6.38% increased Max Health, Healing Received, Damage Shield Strength, and Health Recovery. Factored in with their other passives Nords effectively get:
    • 15.95% increased Max Health
    • 27.65% increased Health Recovery
    • 6.38% Increased Healing Received
    • 6.38% increased Damage Shield Strength
    • 6% increased Max Stamina
    • 2079 extra Cold Resist
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The 6% scales multiplicatively, but that doesn't make it as bad as many people make it out to be, and contrary to popular belief it's effectiveness isn't reduced as you increase your mitigation from other sources. Casparian already linked to my reddit thread that explains all the math behind this (This one), but the TL;DR is that, regardless of whatever other armor or mitigation your character has, the 6% damage reduction you get from Rugged will always give you the effective equivalent of 6.38% increased Max Health, Healing Received, Damage Shield Strength, and Health Recovery. Factored in with their other passives Nords effectively get:
    • 15.95% increased Max Health
    • 27.65% increased Health Recovery
    • 6.38% Increased Healing Received
    • 6.38% increased Damage Shield Strength
    • 6% increased Max Stamina
    • 2079 extra Cold Resist

The Nord racial passive isn't as good as you are making it out to be.

You want to say the that passive reduces the damage a nord would have taken by 6%, but that is disingenuous, because it's 6% of a (potentially a lot) lower value from the original hit. Orcs, Altmer, Dunmer, Khajiit, and other classes with damage passives do not have their racials compromised or undermined in this way. In fact their passives become even better the more damage they do.

I play a nord templar that had Channeled Focus (minor protection), Vampire (undeath passive), Empowering Sweeps (15+X targets % reduction) and wore Reactive or Cyrodiil Light Armor (conditional 35% or 15%) plus various champion Point damage reductions and the passive was marginal. Damage dealing racials are rewarded for tailoring their builds to the passive, Nords (and Bretons) are punished.

As far as your example of effective health and how the 30K health Nord survives 1 more hit than the 30K health Imperial, that's also disingenuous because your hypothetical completely ignores the Imperial's Red Diamond Racial. Why is the Imperial AFK and thus not able to use her health restoring passive? Because you want a selective corner case that speciously reinforces your hypothesis. As a melee Templar, I would have more effective health with the Imperial Passive (that I still think has no cooldown) than I would the Nord.

A lot of us have been playing this game for three years. It's not like we overlooked some unappreciated power Nords have. The only recovery stat they have is health, which is by far the weakest of the three. Fire damage is ubiquitous in PvE and PvP.
    Where is the content in ESO that features frost damage? Damage is king in ESO. Nords make decent tanks and are strong at Roleplaying, but way too often players are going to be better off picking something else
    Edited by Joy_Division on June 9, 2017 5:15PM
  • ofSunhold
    ofSunhold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd really prefer racial passives just be toned the f down across the board (I'm looking at you, Altmer) but it's a bit late for that I guess.

So yes. Nords need some love. They don't even have a niche, that one thing they're best at. I was kind of hoping it would be ice tanking.
    Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.