The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What is classified as "direct damage' re: Master-at-Arms

• SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything that involves a weapon physically contacting a target, so staffs don't count, really looking forward to these changes :)

If staffs don't count why am I seeing builds for staff Templars recommend putting points into it

Suggested 15 in master at arms and 2 in staff

Seems odd if it does nothing
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, lots of people here who have literally no idea what they are talking about. Direct damage is the first tick of any damage skill you apply (even if the skill is not a DOT and has only 1 tick). Force pulse for example deals direct damage 3 times because it does 3 separate hits on its first and only "tick".

that includes Templar's beam to i guess? cause its like force pulse just takes bit longer hits more
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lum1on wrote: »
    Ashamray wrote: »
    DPShiro wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's bugged at the moment since so many weird skills are affected.

And Sweeps is not Direct or DoT, it's a channel.

is it?
    All channels are DoT, but not all DoT are channels -_-

Wrong. If all channels are DoT then you're saying that Dark flare is a DoT? No it's not.

EDIT: Sorry, remembered Dark flare was listed as a channeled ability but it wasn't.

Dark Flare is an ability with a casting time, like frags.

Channels are those Kame Hame Ha you see sometimes (Jesus Beam, Soul strike, shock/resto heavy attack)
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Sizaansil
    Sizaansil
    ✭✭✭
    Sugram22 wrote: »
    Wow, lots of people here who have literally no idea what they are talking about. Direct damage is the first tick of any damage skill you apply (even if the skill is not a DOT and has only 1 tick). Force pulse for example deals direct damage 3 times because it does 3 separate hits on its first and only "tick".

that includes Templar's beam to i guess? cause its like force pulse just takes bit longer hits more

None of Radiant's tick is direct damage. Not the first, not the second, not any of them :)
    Anne Lucerne - Factionless Templar - PC EU Server

"[Let us] now take you Up. We will [show] our true faces... [which eat] one another in amnesia each Age" - The Song of Pelinal, Vol. 8
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    @SugaComa

Oldish thread. The way CP is set up now having points in Staff is an optional but useful.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goshua wrote: »
    @SugaComa

Oldish thread. The way CP is set up now having points in Staff is an optional but useful.

Cheers, my build seems really off compared to others I'm just wondering how people manage to get big numbers

I'm barely breaking 35k Magicka 17k health cp440 with 57% spell crit yet I'm seeing players with 40k+ Magicka 20k health 65 tp75% spell crit yet only at cp490

I can't see 50cps making that much difference
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    Sizaansil wrote: »

None of Radiant's tick is direct damage. Not the first, not the second, not any of them :)

so master at arms is only for burst dam? then its pretty useless (specially for Templar & sorc & poison archer) cause all classes have DPS only with one or two path its possible to burst dam
    Edited by Sugram22 on July 16, 2017 7:50PM
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    Goshua wrote: »
    @SugaComa

i never use wep normal dam well only for restoring MP or stam, i would use it if it were more like skyrim for example no skills, just passives & rest skills are like in skyrim, but in that kind of game i just don't feel like using normal attack, i spam skills in MMO'S
  • Sizaansil
    Sizaansil
    ✭✭✭

so master at arms is only for burst dam? then its pretty useless (specially for Templar & sorc & poison archer) cause all classes have DPS only with one or two path its possible to burst dam

Well with the way cp now scales, it is a perk you should have points in imo. Let's take the example of a magicka templar for pvp : master-at-arms boosts Backlash, Dark Flare, the initial hit of Sun Fire, the initial hit of Meteor, Empowering Sweep, ... , Charge, Javelin, Light attack, most proc sets, and so on... I would not say it's useless ^^
    Anne Lucerne - Factionless Templar - PC EU Server

"[Let us] now take you Up. We will [show] our true faces... [which eat] one another in amnesia each Age" - The Song of Pelinal, Vol. 8
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it boosts my strife and merciless, and they're both ranged. According to my observations in this last week of game play since I came back, it boosts anything (on magblade, at least) that doesn't get boosted by thaumaturge, Path of Darkness as well (lol).
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭

Well with the way cp now scales, it is a perk you should have points in imo. Let's take the example of a magicka templar for pvp : master-at-arms boosts Backlash, Dark Flare, the initial hit of Sun Fire, the initial hit of Meteor, Empowering Sweep, ... , Charge, Javelin, Light attack, most proc sets, and so on... I would not say it's useless ^^

if u go with critical build with my dam dealer classes then i think its a disadvantage cause all the points in master in arms i could but to ele expert & elfborn what give crit dam + thaumaturge so i think for crit build its a disadvantage (or am i wrong) cause i use skills a lot more, well i think i can afford 10 point maybe, i go crit with all my dam dealer, stam & magic dam dealer even templar damage dealer
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Might want to look into this:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/422268/a-comprehensive-guide-on-damage-dealing-in-elder-scrolls-online/p1

Knowing whether a skill is magic damage, physical etc is fairly easy since it is stated in the tooltip. The difficult part is to assess whther the skill is considered as direct damage or damage over time. Damage over time abilities are either ground-based aoes or debuffs. Both tooltips generally indicate that the ability does something over a certain period or periodically for a timespan. But there are also combinations of the two that deal initial damage and have a seperate DoT-component. Examples are:

Direct damage:

Thrust your weapon with disciplined precision at an enemy, dealing ? Physical Damage and taunting them to attack you for 15 seconds.

This ability is considered as direct, because it only has a one-time hit that occurs immediately.

Pure DoT-Damage:

Unleash a swarm of fetcherflies to relentlessly attack an enemy, dealing ? Magic Damage over 10 seconds.

No initial hit indicated in the tooltip, only the damage over time component.

Combination of direct and DoT:

Slice an enemy with both weapons to cause deep lacerations, dealing ? Physical Damage with each weapon and causing them to bleed for an additional ? Physical Damage over 9
    seconds

Here we have an initial hit that is considered direct damage and a damage over time component.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Didaco wrote: »
    What about resto/lightning staff heavy attacks?

Lightning staff first three ticks are DoT, the last shock pulse is direct.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KuroiTenshi made a series of video guides about a year ago testing class skills, and more recently weapon skills, being affected by MAA and Thaum.
    I'm not 100% positive that this is still accurate, but the videos in this series demonstrate the effects of these CPs:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJdr0Wcpjb825gj_0iMzyhg/search?query=master+at+arms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgSeaq4fwMY
    Edited by Sandman929 on August 2, 2018 2:08PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    KuroiTenshi made a series of video guides about a year ago testing class skills, and more recently weapon skills, being affected by MAA and Thaum.
    I'm not 100% positive that this is still accurate, but the videos in this series demonstrate the effects of these CPs:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJdr0Wcpjb825gj_0iMzyhg/search?query=master+at+arms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgSeaq4fwMY

That's a good video if I remember the content currently.

Another good test for everyone is just to dunk enough points into blessed or your thief CP to not lose your max stat damage. Then hit one enemy, record the number and record the tooltip number. Then add points to master of arms, hit the enemy and record both that and the tolltip. Then drop master of arms and boost thamaturge, then hit+record.

Ideally do that test with all your abilities you want with master of arms first then thaumaturge second to use to avoid wasting gold (should be 6k total). Then save that info for later so you don't have to do that.

Or run the test on PTS after every major update to avoid losing gold!
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual