Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is classified as "direct damage' re: Master-at-Arms

Goshua
Goshua
✭✭✭✭
I'm assuming its anything that's not a DoT, proc or passive based.
Is it that simple?
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anything that involves a weapon physically contacting a target, so staffs don't count, really looking forward to these changes :)
    Edited by Integral1900 on April 20, 2017 5:46AM
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things like surprise attack, pierce armor ect.
    Wondering if wrecking blow also counts.
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just melee or bows as well?

So 15% into master at arms and 15% into physical weapon, 15% into mighty for 45% bonus for all direct damage?
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isnt phys weap expert only la? Not at home right now so i cant check.
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    actosh wrote: »
    Isnt phys weap expert only la? Not at home right now so i cant check.

It is.

I'm liking the changes tbh, there are counters elsewhere if you need them
  • makreth
    makreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be the counterpart of thaumaturge. So direct dmg is anything but dots. Flame-frost staves included.
    Edited by makreth on April 20, 2017 8:43AM
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's simply single-target damage. And since my builds have always been short on aoes, long on single-target, that's great. :D
  • Code2501
    Code2501
    ✭✭✭✭
    So basically no one has a clue, because Dev Comments are used to justify nerfs rather than explain changes...
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Please clarify:
    - Are single target channels supposed to be improved by Master-at-Arms?
    - Are single target magic projectiles and beams supposed to be improved by Master-at-Arms?
    - Are single target physical projectiles supposed to be improved by Master-at-Arms?
    UPD
    - Is initial hit of aoe and dot supposed to be improved by Master-at-Arms?
    Edited by Ashamray on April 20, 2017 2:37PM
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • isT
    isT
    ✭✭
    makreth wrote: »
    It should be the counterpart of thaumaturge. So direct dmg is anything but dots. Flame-frost staves included.

This is true. Still haven't checked out all direct damage skills, but for sure it buffs whip on dk, and several other direct damage skills.

Example of how much of each relevant skill for magdk is DoT in percentage. Rest of it is direct damage: whip, foo, first hit of meteor/BE/EF/talons/deep breath.

DoT% Skill
    75% Shooting Star
    100% Standard of Might

0% Molten Whip
    100% Elemental Blockade
    75% Burning Embers
    80% Engulfing Flames

100% Eruption
    0% Flames of Oblivion

50% Burning Talons
    75% Deep Breath

Some ~40% of damage output (single target) on current meta rotations for magdk is direct damage, so this new cp category is worth considering for some investment. Even more for other clases. Although no one really knows now how much builds and rotations will change depending on dreadful sustain nerf.
    Edited by isT on April 20, 2017 9:39AM
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    So class skills are classed as direct damage even magicka based? eg first hit of vampires bane, dark flare.

It was mentioned above 'weapon physically contacting a target' is that not a fact? I am confused lol

Edited by Goshua on April 20, 2017 9:44AM
  • Moncho11
    Moncho11
    ✭✭✭
    It should be as stated so any direct damage ability or proc. This should include wrecking blow, surprise attack, funnel health, and force pulse. This means twisting path should scale since the game does not consider it a dot. Finally going 50 points in mighty and 50 in master at arms should give those moves 30% increase as opposed to the 25% you get now.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Non-DoT damage; which is why it's confusing that Jabs is increased by it. Apparently Jabs is a DoT, and a non-DoT at the same time. Since it benefits from both Master of Arms and Thaurmaturge.
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    Non-DoT damage; which is why it's confusing that Jabs is increased by it. Apparently Jabs is a DoT, and a non-DoT at the same time. Since it benefits from both Master of Arms and Thaurmaturge.

Interesting. Knew jabs was a DoT but now also direct. a buff for once.

shhh
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you explain (for a friend, she is sooo casual :blush: ) what's the difference between Master-at-Arms and Physical Weapon Expert?
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, what? Really? I actually didn't know that.

Interesting.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »

Wait, what? Really? I actually didn't know that.

Interesting.

They´ve been undecided about super short channels (jabs, rapid strikes) since the introduction of the CP system. Inconsistent behavior with CP and itemsets all over the place.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Goshua wrote: »

shhh

Be careful what you wish for. This means that Ironclad and Thick Skinned are effective against jabs as well :wink:
    As it stands currently I have 53.5% damage mitigation from your jabs. If this change sticks you'll hit stupid hard in PvE, but you'll hit like a wet noodle in PvP.
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    Streega wrote: »
    Can you explain (for a friend, she is sooo casual :blush: ) what's the difference between Master-at-Arms and Physical Weapon Expert?

Physical only buffs light and heavy attacks.

Someone kindly pinged some mods (thank you) so hopefully we get some clarification as to what 'direct' means in MaA

Seems to me it shouldn't work for magicka attacks, which whip is, but apparently it does

arrrrh

• clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, lots of people here who have literally no idea what they are talking about. Direct damage is the first tick of any damage skill you apply (even if the skill is not a DOT and has only 1 tick). Force pulse for example deals direct damage 3 times because it does 3 separate hits on its first and only "tick".
    Edited by clocksstoppe on April 20, 2017 10:40AM
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, lots of people here who have literally no idea what they are talking about. Direct damage is the first tick of any damage skill you apply (even if the skill is not a DOT and has only 1 tick). Force pulse for example deals direct damage 3 times because it does 3 separate hits on its first and only "tick".

is why were asking questions

So class and weapon skills for both magicka and stamina get bumped by Master at Arms. is that what you're saying?

I guess i should forum less

Edited by Goshua on April 20, 2017 12:22PM
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So class and weapon skills for both magicka and stamina get bumped by Master at Arms. is that what you're saying?

I guess i should forum less and test more lol

Correct; which means both sorcs, and Nightblades can double dip from the champion system now since they specialize in direct damage.
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭

shhh

Be careful what you wish for. This means that Ironclad and Thick Skinned are effective against jabs as well :wink:
    As it stands currently I have 53.5% damage mitigation from your jabs. If this change sticks you'll hit stupid hard in PvE, but you'll hit like a wet noodle in PvP.

lol you won't catch me jabbing anything I loathe it
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭

I guess i should forum less and test more lol

Correct; which means both sorcs, and Nightblades can double dip from the champion system now since they specialize in direct damage.

great. thank you
  • NiclasFridholm
    NiclasFridholm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sweeps oooh sweet sweeps! :smile:
    Tobias Funke - Magplar since forever

• Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

shhh

Agreed. I prefer sweeps over jabs anyday.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »

shhh

Agreed. I prefer sweeps over jabs anyday.

Hah.
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for explaining it to me... err, I mean to my friend ;) I'm a crafter and a casual quester, not very good at that meta-building-and-fighting-stuff.
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • Didaco
    Didaco
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about resto/lightning staff heavy attacks?
  • Fuxo
    Fuxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Can this information about direct damage, etc be added to in-game skill tooltips? Thanks.