Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Mag DK PvP Builds and Discussion

• HereForMorale
    I hear most people run Dark Elf on their mag dk. I ran a dark elf for a while there but I switched to high elf. I think high elf is a much better choice for DK. Yes you lose like 3% fire damage and about 1.5k stam and that fire resistance but you gain 9% recovery you get 10% max mag and you still get a buff to your flame damage up to 4%. High elf is just a far better choice imo.

Stamina is pretty important for mag dk in exchange for those small barely noticeable increases in magicka.

I'm still running almost 16k stam on my high elf. And as I don't have as much Ulti regen from not running Bloodspawn the extra mag regen is super nice.
    Options
  • HereForMorale
    I think I'm gonna swap out Kags for Seducer. I've been noticing some magicka sustain issues. The only thing I'll be losing is a small amount of damage. However I'm gonna try using the Thief mundus when swapping to Seducer.
    Options
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm gonna swap out Kags for Seducer. I've been noticing some magicka sustain issues. The only thing I'll be losing is a small amount of damage. However I'm gonna try using the Thief mundus when swapping to Seducer.

Your build will perform much better if you build enough regen in to run thief stone than building more damage and needing to run atro.

Atro is really really really inefficient, it doesn't even give the equivalent of 2 whole set bonuses. Thief on the other hand gives you 12% crit which is ~4 crit set bonuses. When comparing 2 builds for pvp you'll almost always be better off throwing on an extra regen glyph and switching from atro to thief, from both a damage and healing standpoint, assuming all other gear stays the same.
    Options
  • HereForMorale
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Your build will perform much better if you build enough regen in to run thief stone than building more damage and needing to run atro.

Atro is really really really inefficient, it doesn't even give the equivalent of 2 whole set bonuses. Thief on the other hand gives you 12% crit which is ~4 crit set bonuses. When comparing 2 builds for pvp you'll almost always be better off throwing on an extra regen glyph and switching from atro to thief, from both a damage and healing standpoint, assuming all other gear stays the same.

Atro gives me about 200+ regen without running divines so in actuality it adds a decent amount of recovery. Thief adds 11% crit which is great not only for damage yes but also the chance to crit heals. They both have their plus side. If you have sustain issues I largely suggest atro. If not obviously thief.
    Options
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant really decide between rattlecage and bsw now. BSW gives more damage but rattle allows me to use engulfing that would up my damage more thanks to the fire debuff or I could use fov. Rattle also saves me the hassle to land a spell on someone to get major sorcery.
    For me it all boils down to whats best between more spell damage or being able to slot another dps skill.
    Ah the decisions.
    Edited by Ariades_swe on March 14, 2017 8:40PM
    Options
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant really decide between rattlecage and bsw now. BSW gives more damage but rattle allows me to use engulfing that would up my damage more thanks to the fire debuff or I could use fov. Rattle also saves me the hassle to land a spell on someone to get major sorcery.
    For me it all boils down to whats best between more spell damage or being able to slot another dps skill.
    Ah the decisions.

Just remember the buff from engulfing flames can be purged or cleansed off. Which is BS if you ask me.
    Edited by Hutch679 on March 14, 2017 8:51PM
    Options
  • iseko
    iseko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah the decisions.

I like engulfing too much. Flaming embers, engulfing, light attack (proc spell dmg), inhale, fosilize, flame lash (while inhale goes off), power lash.

Favo combo, the dmg buff plus dot dmg off engulfing is too good to give up tbh.

Ive dropped ingeous shield tbh and dont miss it THAT much. Cdb heals fine without it nowadays. It is still nice to have but not mandatory anymore (imho)
    Options
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whats everyone's thought of this build. 5 black Rose. 5 bloodthorn sword board. 2 skoria. Off hand destroy staff with eye of storm. 5/1/1 (because I don't have 7 heavy).
    Options
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Atro gives me about 200+ regen without running divines so in actuality it adds a decent amount of recovery. Thief adds 11% crit which is great not only for damage yes but also the chance to crit heals. They both have their plus side. If you have sustain issues I largely suggest atro. If not obviously thief.

Notice, I didn't say atro was bad or trash, just inefficient. What I'm saying is that you should build to ensure you won't have sustain problems while running thief stone, you'll be able to get more out of your build overall if you make efficient choices like this. For example, with CP, a regen glyph gives about as much as the atro stone, its more efficient to lose 200 spell damage(with major sorcery buff) to get that juicy crit from thief.
    Options
  • HereForMorale
    Whats everyone's thought of this build. 5 black Rose. 5 bloodthorn sword board. 2 skoria. Off hand destroy staff with eye of storm. 5/1/1 (because I don't have 7 heavy).

I personally haven't tried it but it seems like you are building to have more sustain with those two sets. I'm not saying it won't work but I feel as though your damage would be lacking.
    Options
  • HereForMorale
    Ah the decisions.

IMO I think running rattlecage only opens up that one skill slot and that's the only reason it's helpful. Running Entropy means you have to have a target to get major sorcery but the benefits of Max health on your healing bar which buffs your healing and the fact that you can empower your Dragon leap with Entropy far out way the loss of a spot.
    Options
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don't think you need that much stam sustain. Run 3x or 4x Sturdy and you'll be find in 5H. mDKs have Battle Roar and Helping Hands (Petrify, Igneous).

Here's another way to think about BR if you re-arrange the set bonuses (on a 5H setup):
    2pc - mana
    3pc - mana regen
    4pc - spell dmg
    5pc - stam regen, stam, health

Bloodthorn is
    2pc - mana
    3pc - mana regen
    4pc - spell dmg
    5pc - 2xMana regen, 2xStam Regen

If you put 3x Spell dmg glyphs on your jewlery you'll be at 1335+129+174x3+150 = 2136 base spell dmg which is probably OK.

My only comment is that I'm not sure you'll have enough mana sustain for an mDK without sacrificing spell dmg on your jewelry. Ergo, change sets around to drop some stam sustain.

Atro is clearly less efficient that Thief. Should basically never run it. Build sustain into your gear -- there are lots of options now.

Seducer, IMO is slightly more efficient than Kag's. 222 spell dmg is only 30% more than a spell dmg glyph. 8% cost reduction is 240 on a 3k mana skill and 320 on a 4k mana skill. So that is 20% to 60% more than a cost reduction glyph on jewelry.
    Edited by Ishammael on March 15, 2017 2:54PM
    Options
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah the decisions.

IMO I think running rattlecage only opens up that one skill slot and that's the only reason it's helpful. Running Entropy means you have to have a target to get major sorcery but the benefits of Max health on your healing bar which buffs your healing and the fact that you can empower your Dragon leap with Entropy far out way the loss of a spot.

Thanks! You convinced me!
    Now I dont have farm arcane rattlecage jewelry:)
    Options
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some other thoughts:
    1. Valkyn, BS, and Groth are all really good monster sets for mDK. I think Slimecraw will slightly underperform.
    2. "Standard" setups: Seducer + BSW, or Seducer + Rattle. Both have advantages. I favor the Rattle setup because I like the extra skill slot.
    3. Setups which I plan to test: Seducer + Spinner, Rattle + Spinner.
    4. Setups I would like to test but probably won't because F** RNG: Rattle + BSW.
    5. Syrabane is amazing.
    6. Can someone comment on 5LA mDK in the current meta?
    Options
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishammael wrote: »
    Some other thoughts:
    1. Valkyn, BS, and Groth are all really good monster sets for mDK. I think Slimecraw will slightly underperform.
    2. "Standard" setups: Seducer + BSW, or Seducer + Rattle. Both have advantages. I favor the Rattle setup because I like the extra skill slot.
    3. Setups which I plan to test: Seducer + Spinner, Rattle + Spinner.
    4. Setups I would like to test but probably won't because F** RNG: Rattle + BSW.
    5. Syrabane is amazing.
    6. Can someone comment on 5LA mDK in the current meta?

5LA mDK is great =). I have a build set up below.

I know I say 6 impen. Forgot my infused helm lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X5tdKA7c5g
    Edited by Moglijuana on March 15, 2017 3:29PM
    Ps4 - PSN:jdmaya
    Dårth Måul (AD- Dunmer Mag DK) Legate
    Latest Vid:https://youtu.be/WZp_IdyrL6Q
    Options
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't think you need that much stam sustain. Run 3x or 4x Sturdy and you'll be find in 5H. mDKs have Battle Roar and Helping Hands (Petrify, Igneous).

Here's another way to think about BR if you re-arrange the set bonuses (on a 5H setup):
    2pc - mana
    3pc - mana regen
    4pc - spell dmg

Bloodthorn is
    2pc - mana
    3pc - mana regen
    4pc - spell dmg

If you put 3x Spell dmg glyphs on your jewlery you'll be at 1335+129+174x3+150 = 2136 base spell dmg which is probably OK.

My only comment is that I'm not sure you'll have enough mana sustain for an mDK without sacrificing spell dmg on your jewelry. Ergo, change sets around to drop some stam sustain.

Atro is clearly less efficient that Thief. Should basically never run it. Build sustain into your gear -- there are lots of options now.

Seducer, IMO is slightly more efficient than Kag's. 222 spell dmg is only 30% more than a spell dmg glyph. 8% cost reduction is 240 on a 3k mana skill and 320 on a 4k mana skill. So that is 20% to 60% more than a cost reduction glyph on jewelry.

I have been watching blobs play his Magicka DK. He's running Black Rose and Syrabanr and is super tough. I can't get my hands on Syrabanr but managed to get all the bloodthorn and a sharpened sword so I thought it would be worth a shot. I've tried seducer and rattlecage it just seemed like there wasn't enough stamina.
    Options
  • HereForMorale

2pc - mana
    3pc - mana regen
    4pc - spell dmg

Bloodthorn is
    2pc - mana
    3pc - mana regen
    4pc - spell dmg

I have been watching blobs play his Magicka DK. He's running Black Rose and Syrabanr and is super tough. I can't get my hands on Syrabanr but managed to get all the bloodthorn and a sharpened sword so I thought it would be worth a shot. I've tried seducer and rattlecage it just seemed like there wasn't enough stamina.

His build is interesting and seems to work quite well. His stam sustain is really good with that set up. If all you want is a high stam pool then run tri stat food and tri stat glyphs on all your gear. That's what I'm running on my 5 Seducer 5 BSW build and don't even have all the tri stat glyphs yet but I'm sitting at 16.5k stam.
    Edited by HereForMorale on March 15, 2017 5:06PM
    Options
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭

2pc - mana
    3pc - mana regen
    4pc - spell dmg

Bloodthorn is
    2pc - mana
    3pc - mana regen
    4pc - spell dmg

His build is interesting and seems to work quite well. His stam sustain is really good with that set up. If all you want is a high stam pool then run tri stat food and tri stat glyphs on all your gear. That's what I'm running on my 5 Seducer 5 BSW build and don't even have all the tri stat glyphs yet but I'm sitting at 16.5k stam.

True I thought about that I like seducer alot. I just like being able to block like the days of 1.6. Blackrose helps with that.Even with like 1900 spell damage though with Valkn, flames of oblivion, and take flight there is good burst potential on that build.
    Options
  • Carelxss
    Carelxss
    Would blood thorn be better than desert rose?
    Options
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carelxss wrote: »

Well bloodthorn also has stamina return. Desert rose is a 15 percent chance right and only every four seconds. I would choose bloodthorn and Syrabane first.
    Options
  • HereForMorale

I wouldn't even consider Desert Rose anymore.
    Options
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Desert Rose is ok on tank builds for group play, basically where you can guarantee you'll get the proc on cooldown. The issue is that in order to be tanky enough to survive in those situations you won't have enough damage to do much other than soft/hard CC opponents and maybe apply a heal debuff from fasallas. There's tons of group utility to be had, its just not good for solo or really small groups anymore.
    Options
  • Carelxss
    Carelxss

Desert Rose is ok on tank builds for group play, basically where you can guarantee you'll get the proc on cooldown. The issue is that in order to be tanky enough to survive in those situations you won't have enough damage to do much other than soft/hard CC opponents and maybe apply a heal debuff from fasallas. There's tons of group utility to be had, its just not good for solo or really small groups anymore.
    do you think black rose and trainee would be more useful all around?

Options
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't run trainee, just use prismatic glyphs and run a better set, imo.
    Options
  • Carelxss
    Carelxss

what would be a better set to combo with black rose

Options
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

BSW is best imo.
    Options
  • HereForMorale

Are you trying to run 7 piece heavy? Running 7 piece heavy is gonna benefit you more with the black rose set but I need to know if you are trying to run that.
    Edited by HereForMorale on March 16, 2017 1:26PM
    Options
  • Carelxss
    Carelxss

Are you trying to run 7 piece heavy? Running 7 piece heavy is gonna benefit you more with the black rose set but I need to know if you are trying to run that.

No i was going to do 5 black rose and either 5 bsw or rattle cage and i would run a 5-1-1 set up

Options
  • HereForMorale
    FRONT BAR-
    Fossilize
    Engulfing Flames
    Burning Embers
    Burning Talons
    Flame Lash
    Ulti- Ferocious Leap

BACK BAR-
    Structured Entropy
    Elusive Mist/ Flames of Oblivion
    Coagulating Blood
    Volatile Armor
    Igneous Shield
    Ulti- Shooting Star

5 Seducer-
    S&B front and back bar
    Chest
    Belt
    Legs
    5 Burning Spellweave-
    Gloves
    Boots
    Necklace
    Ring
    Ring
    Valkyn Skoria-
    Head
    Shoulder

This is 5 heavy 2 light

All impen besides shield which is reinforced
    Can throw in some Sturdy pieces

Sharpened Sword FB
    Defending Sword BB

Tri Stat glyphs on all armor
    Health glyph on back bar shield
    Spell damage enchants on swords

Jewlery-
    1 recovery glyph
    2 spell damage

Tri Stat food
    Thief mundus
    VAMPIRE!

90 magician
    55 arcanist
    20 tumbling
    35 shadow ward
    10 blessed
    20 elfborn
    90 elemental expert
    53 spell erosion
    27 thaumaturge
    35 resistant
    70 hardy
    70 elemental defender
    15 thick skinned
    10 quick recovery
    Options
  • HereForMorale

No i was going to do 5 black rose and either 5 bsw or rattle cage and i would run a 5-1-1 set up

Personally I would do BSW. That's just me though.
    Options