The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

People who Say VMA shouldnt be nerfed

• darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    Listen I won't be a jerk, I really feel all this-

Here's what's great. It is SO satisfying when your build, abilities, and drive to complete a very difficult challenge lead to success because you and you alone chose to make it happen. It felt impossible to me at first, I pulled out my hair went broke ingame on soul gems and spent too much irl time there, but it felt great to know I could win at something ridiculously hard. That semester I got a 200% in physics because I was like 'yeah you just do it and it takes 1000000% less time than vma...'

I love the challenge, I love completing the hard stuff, I love helping people with it if they want advice or potions, I love my flawless conqueror title because I felt like for the first time, I actually accomplished something in a game (even though no one on the real world cares at all). I feel like if it were easier, I would not fwlt like I had accomplished anything and therefore not connected with this game as much. I srsly thought I'd never beat it even once, but now I feel that anyone can do it with patience and time. It's frustrating and buggy and a total waste of time for a chest that drops the wrong thing in the wrong trait but it's not about that. It's exciting to push your boundaries.

But most of all, I feel like it is kinda great that endgame gear is locked behind a challenge instead of an atronach crate. If you want to have that extra little (tons of) dps, you gotta fight your way through what seems like dantes inferno to get something unique and feel proud that you did it. You can't buy it, but you can earn it, and enjoy that feeling of having something <1% of players get their hands on because you stuck it out.

Ok /motivational speech.

Some ppl are like 'I did it my first time in three hours' well god bless em! Don't give up because of ppl like that tho, maelstrom is as rewarding as it is difficult my dude.
    Message me if you want to do trials/dungeons, or need a trading guild! Flawless conqueror magsorc with a bad sense of armor fashion.
  • WarpigFunk
    WarpigFunk
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing about vma would be adding a scroll to trigger a hardmode like in dungeons and when the hardmode is completed you'll earn a maelstrom's key to open 3 chest (one with 1H mele weaps / one with 2H mele weaps and the last one with staffs)

and obviously the arena don't need to be nerfed, rankings are active, it would deserve a nerf if only a few players would have managed to complete it after 2-3 months of trys since the orsinium patch, so stop calling a nerf and DO IT !

Staff chest would still be Decisive Resto Staff all day errday .... :expressionless:
    PS4 [NA]
    Hingle McKringleberry - Altmer MagSorc DD The Flawless Conquerer
    Sek Sual Chocolate - Redguard StamSorc DD Stormproof
    Doktor Feelgood - Breton Templar Healz Boethia's Scythe
    Tiberius Asskickatron - Imperial DK StamTank Mageslayer
    -VERIFIED-
    -FFF-
    vAAHM 100k+, vSOHM 100k+, vHRCHM 100k+, vMoL 78k, vDSA 36k, vMA 535k
  • WarpigFunk
    WarpigFunk
    ✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I still support any nerf VMA thread. Despite the L2P crowd. Far too many players cannot complete the content. Myself included.

You most certainly CAN complete it. I assure you of this. Can't reiterate this enough... if you truly commit to clearing VMA you WILL clear it. Because if I can do it, literally anyone with eyesight can do it.

VMA first clear takes a modicum of skill, and maaaybe some modicum of decent gear - but the most important thing it takes is commitment. It is a hefty commitment of time, resources, and patience.

By the time the final boss had wiped me for what had to be the 100th time, I was tempted to just say - you know what, maybe I just can't do this ... thankfully I was in too deep by then, couple hundred potions down, couple hundred soul gems down, tens of thousands of gold in repair bills down - I HAD to complete it, or it was all for nothing ... and yea he wiped me another 100 times probably - but ultimately it clicked, I learned it, and got it done.

The surest way to fail at VMA or anything in life really, is by convincing yourself that you can't do it - you don't have the gear, the levels, the skill - etc...
    I assure you, you do. You can do it. You simply have to truly commit to doing it.
    PS4 [NA]
    -VERIFIED-
    -FFF-
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not getting nerfed if you can't get through it you don't deserve the weapon just like every one else... myself included.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • GeneralPardon
    GeneralPardon
    ✭✭✭
    How to beat VMA in a couple of simple steps:

- Learn spawns
    - Avoid red
    - Prioritize certain targets
    - Identify (almost) one-shot mechanics and avoid them.

I know it sounds simple and in the beginning it might feel like you never complete it but keep practising adn you WILL complete it.
    CP10+
    nMA nDSA nSO nAA nHRC nMoL nHoF nAS
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what the official completion figures are, I reckon 10% or under of the total population...Or is that too high?
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• Godeko
    Godeko
    ✭✭✭
    The key is equipment. Yes skill is also important but not as much as equipment.
    I was never able to complete it until I got my hands on a new build and finally did it pretty easily 5 days ago. And now? 40 min for a run. Just go full burst equipment and practice.
    nEdgy(n+2)me

Champion Points: 600+
    Achievement: 18155
    Lvl 50 - Khajiit Stamina Nightblade (RIP in pepperoni)
    Lvl 50 - High Elf Magicka Scorcerer
    Lvl 50 - Breton Magicka Templar (RIP in piece)

First VMA: 22.02.17
    First Flawless: 17.03.17
    Sharpened Inferno: 23.04.17 http://imgur.com/a/uegfw
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VMA difficulty needs to be addressed.

And here is why:

1. Easy mode - does not drop VMA weapons and drops mostly VR150 gear.
    2. Hard mode - is very very hard for some players, even experienced ones - and very easy for the other players that has the right class and the right build for it and of course some skill.
    3. It creates a big gap in PVP - strong players are getting even stronger with VMA weapons while average players remain weak.

In short - VMA brings an unfair advantage to the players that are already strong (pvp wise - as the weapons are not best in slot for pve).

• Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DHale wrote: »
    It's not getting nerfed if you can't get through it you don't deserve the weapon just like every one else... myself included.

You are so wrong my friend!!
    The goal of this game is to make things balanced - well VMA is a total failure of it.

Locking a powerful weapon that requires lots of power to pass through is wrong!

To make it into the leader-board should be the only goal of VMA.

And the top players from the leader board should be able to peek anything they want that this game can drop for example so you keep people busy on improving their score this way.

I consider that even the worst players of ESO should be able to put their hands on VMA weapons.

• Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Godeko wrote: »
    I was never able to complete it until I got my hands on a new build and finally did it pretty easily 5 days ago. And now? 40 min for a run. Just go full burst equipment and practice.

Yes that's a VMA problem, it is very easy for some setups and impossible hard for others.

And if a player does not have those setups then they simply cannot complete VMA.

For example if my play style is to go fully bow then forget about VMA. You have to get out of your comfort setup, pick up a meta build - respec everything and go for the weapon - it is just wrong.
  • NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭
    greylox wrote: »
    I wonder what the official completion figures are, I reckon 10% or under of the total population...Or is that too high?

On PS4, last time i looked it was 0.2% earned the trophy. I don't know what goes into the denominator, but I guess the point is that it is not many.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On PS4, last time i looked it was 0.2% earned the trophy. I don't know what goes into the denominator, but I guess the point is that it is not many.

Wow, I would put money (not literally) on it being under 1% on PC then
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior

• MakeMeUhSamich
    MakeMeUhSamich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI - .2 is 20%
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    0.2% not 0.2 of 1.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

• Father_X_Zombie
    Father_X_Zombie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guys, VMA is never getting nerved. Your typing to blind eyes.

Learn the mechanics
    Get VMA gear
    Get CP
    Watch a Youtube video
    Put in the time and effort
    Learn from your mistakes

Do these things and you WILL complete VMA. Trust me, I died at least 300 times on my first clear and it took a span of a few days, but when I completed it, it was one of the greatest moments of my young life (Lol cringe). After that my second run took 2 hours, now I can do it in less then an hour.

I would be willing to bet that all of the people complaining about VMA haven't done it once. Come back after you have done it at least 10 times, then tell me it still needs nerfed.
    GT: AK x Zombie

Marcurio Avidius - Breton Sorcerer - The Flawless Conquerer - General
    Raven Avidius - Imperial Nightblade - Stormproof
    Cicero Avidius - Imperial Templar - First Sergeant
    Audens Avidius - Breton Templar - Stormproof
    Jimi Hendrix - Redguard Dragonknight - Stormproof
    Leliana Artaine - Breton Nightblade - Stormproof
    Brutus Decinus - Imperial Sorcerer - Stormproof AD
    Wait aren't you DC - Dark elf Nightblade EP
    Achilleus Infernium - Breton Dragonknight
    Claudia Aurella - Imperial Warden
    DC NA XB1

RIP XB1 NA Chillrend 2015-2017
    Home to emp farmers and roleplayers
    Put out of its misery by Brian Wheeler

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »

And here is why:

2. Hard mode - is very very hard for some players, even experienced ones - and very easy for the other players that has the right class and the right build for it and of course some skill.
    3. It creates a big gap in PVP - strong players are getting even stronger with VMA weapons while average players remain weak.

In short - VMA brings an unfair advantage to the players that are already strong (pvp wise - as the weapons are not best in slot for pve).

So which of these weapons for PvP is so powerful?

Bow? Buffs Endless Hail. Worthless in PvP since Endless Hail isn't used in PvP.
    Destro? Buffs heavy attacks on enemies in your Wall of Elements. Another skill not used in PvP.
    DW? Buffs your next single target DoT after casting Rapid Strikes. This could be useful but generally speaking DW isn't ideal for PvP.
    2Hander? Adds a DoT to your Crit Rush. Alright, finally a skill that you'll regularly see in PvP. Too bad the DoT is underwhelming.
    Resto? When your Rapid Regeneration critically heals an ally it gives you a small return of magicka. This can be nice in PvP but is very far from being OP.
    SnB? Who cares? This is just an all-around useless piece of junk.

Pretty much anyone you see running vMA weapons in PvP is running poisons on those weapons because the enchantments aren't very good in a PvP setting. This basically makes them just a weapon with a 1-piece bonus. I don't think a weapon giving an extra hundred-something weapon/spell damage is something that should be considered OP, especially considering the weapon damage enchantment gives about 350.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• WarpigFunk
    WarpigFunk
    ✭✭✭

And here is why:

What?
    Most of the useful VMA weapons ARE best in slot for PvE, and have only marginal if any use in PvP.
    Not sure where you got the idea that VMA weapons are PvP weapons.

Maybe the 2 hander with the crit rush dot? I dunno, if you cant sustain/ heal through a 1k dps dot for 5 seconds, then your opponent's weapon is not your problem.

Also, the reason VMA is "easy" for some players, is because they've run it and cleared a billion times - I don't care what build you're running VMA is difficult your first blind run through. The people that have cleared it and say it's fine, spent a dozen hours and tons of gold, and then beat it because they knew it was doable. The people that say it needs a nerf spent a dozen hours and tons of guild, and then gave up because they thought it was too hard. That's pretty much it.

The content does not need a nerf. Your resolve simply needs a buff.
    PS4 [NA]
    -VERIFIED-
    -FFF-
  • alperheu
    alperheu
    DHale wrote: »

You are so wrong my friend!!
    The goal of this game is to make things balanced - well VMA is a total failure of it.

Locking a powerful weapon that requires lots of power to pass through is wrong!

To make it into the leader-board should be the only goal of VMA.

And the top players from the leader board should be able to peek anything they want that this game can drop for example so you keep people busy on improving their score this way.

I consider that even the worst players of ESO should be able to put their hands on VMA weapons.

I disagree. What's the point in making certain items best in slot if they're easy to acquire? On top of that finishing it is one thing, and having the dedication to grind it for the absolutely best in slot item is another. That in my opinion shows the differences between an average player and a good/decent one. By no means am I a fan of the drop rates, but I do not think that the difficulty should get nerfed.
    I'm going to try to say this as politely as possible: if you can't even finish vma you probably don't even need those weapons since the content you'll be clearing won't require that sort of dps anyways. You can finish 99% of the content in the game while wearing random armor pieces and heavy attacking with whatever weapon you have and you're here complaining about not being good enough for the remaining 1%. Makes no sense to me.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that needs a nerf is that final boss everything else isn't that bad.
    Edited by RebornV3x on February 27, 2017 8:53PM
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RebornV3x wrote: »
    The only thing that needs a nerf is that final boss everything else isn't that bad.

Final boss is the least of your worries once you've beaten it a couple of times.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• GawdSB
    GawdSB
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol Final Boss is the easiest of them all. Okay. Maybe the first one is a bit easier.
  • WarpigFunk
    WarpigFunk
    ✭✭✭

For me the whole arena boils down to spider boss and argonian ... once past those I'm like "whew ok 10-15 more minutes and I can loot the chest."

Last boss took me the longest to learn for sure - but once learned the fight is just a checklist of choreographed steps. It's automatic.

After my 5th clear I'm now more likely to die on round 2 boss than on round 9 boss. But I can still take a ton of Ls from the spider boss, and the Argonian is hit or miss, either it's super smooth 1 - shot no deaths, or it's 5 straight wipes before getting him... it especially sucks when I have crushing shock morph.
    PS4 [NA]
    -VERIFIED-
    -FFF-
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than Argonian poison and the once in a while death on Frost stage I can usually get to the final boss in an hour but every run no matter what I always get stuck on the final boss the mechanics suck fighting a 4 man dungeon boss solo is dumb.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    :(
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Godeko wrote: »

Yes that's a VMA problem, it is very easy for some setups and impossible hard for others.

And if a player does not have those setups then they simply cannot complete VMA.

For example if my play style is to go fully bow then forget about VMA. You have to get out of your comfort setup, pick up a meta build - respec everything and go for the weapon - it is just wrong.

No offence mate but I lolled and have a massive issue with this kind of opinion.

1. It's very easy for A LOT of setups - You can run VMA on pretty much anything once you've put in a little bit of effort and learned a few things about the arena.

2. "For example if my play style is to go fully bow then forget about VMA." YES, forget about it! In fact, if you want to go fully bow then PvE in general probably isn't for you - You're not helping yourself, let alone other players if that's your mentality.

3. As a side note to that "you have to get out of your comfort setup, pick up a meta build" - Why on earth would you want to play a game and not have the best setup for the content? There's no advantage to role playing in a dungeon/trial - You're not there to pretend you're a sneaky ninja and shoot arrows from the shadows and if you don't want to put in the 30 minutes of effort to go and create a new gear set to clear endgame content and better yourself then you definitely don't deserve to finish it, let alone get the weapons.

4. Go and try playing another game like WoW where there's weekly cooldowns and it takes months to get geared then come and say this is too unfair and hard - the mechanics in ESO are catered to players like you and are getting easier and more assisted every patch, to the point where it's embarrassing and no longer an accomplishment to complete VMA.

5. I seen you say this somewhere as well "Easy mode - does not drop VMA weapons and drops mostly VR150 gear." - I hope that's a joke. You can literally stand still on normal mode and hold heavy attack, if that gave weapons then level 10's would have them.

Sorry if I'm being harsh but my first complete took 16-18 hours in one sitting when it first came out (None of the new OP *Carry me* sets), I now run it in 35 minutes with all of the assistance the game gives you these days and coming from other MMO's where loot and gearing is much more important and much harder to acquire, I really don't see how anyone can say nerf VMA.

Good luck completing it.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forcing people into BiS is boring, uninspiring and bad game design...That goes for anything not just maelstrom. Might as well get rid of all other skills and gear sets with that mentality and play a FPS. It shouldn't be the case that any build works either, but in an RPG there should be more than one way to skin a cat as it were.

That wasn't a moan about maelstrom, just that attitude in general.
    Edited by greylox on February 28, 2017 11:39AM
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

• BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forcing people into BiS is boring, uninspiring and bad game design...That goes for anything not just maelstrom. Might as well get rid of all other skills and gear sets with that mentality and play a FPS. It shouldn't be the case that any build works either, but in an RPG there should be more than one way to skin a cat as it were.

That wasn't a moan about maelstrom, just that attitude in general.

Nobody is forced into BiS; even vMoL groups do completes without BiS gear, it's just advantageous.

Not to mention that there is always going to be a BiS, the same way there's BiS guns on an FPS.
    People can compete with the other guns, but they'll be gimping themselves by not using the best weapon in that category of weapon they use - Similar to how people can complete Maelstrom with a 2k recovery build for example, they can do it and can get on the leaderboards but they're not going to be top - and rightly so.

If every gun in your FPS did the same damage and had the same rate of fire etc then it'd be purely aesthetics that set them apart, change one of them variables (rate of fire, damage, range) and all of a sudden one becomes BiS - It's not something you can avoid in any game that has more than one option.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Therwind
    Therwind
    ✭✭✭
    Just do it. Like n.i.k.e does :)
    Edited by Therwind on February 28, 2017 12:03PM
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PS4 online trophies are very rarely updated, I would give much value to this information. But I assume the number of players who have completed is still very, very low.
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Posts like that is what's wrong with gaming nowadays. So just because YOU can't beat it you want the devs to make it easier? Go fly a kite.
    Edited by JWKe on March 1, 2017 3:02AM