The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PTS Feedback Thread for Templar Balance Improvements

• templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rikumaru wrote: »
    templesus wrote: »
    For all the other stamplars posting so late...don't bother. They won't make anymore changes and everything you guys have said I've outlined numerous times since PTS1. Our sustain will remain ***.
    P.s LOL @ the guy who said stamblade sustain is in the same boat as stamplars. 15% more stam recovery AND siphoning I'm literally lmao

And stamplar has 5 cleanses, major mending and a 30% snare all into 1 cheap ability. Along with some of the best small group utility (repentance).

Sure do. All means nothing with our *** sustain.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For all the other stamplars posting so late...don't bother. They won't make anymore changes and everything you guys have said I've outlined numerous times since PTS1. Our sustain will remain ***.
    P.s LOL @ the guy who said stamblade sustain is in the same boat as stamplars. 15% more stam recovery AND siphoning I'm literally lmao

And stamplar has 5 cleanses, major mending and a 30% snare all into 1 cheap ability. Along with some of the best small group utility (repentance).

You can pick any class, write how skill work and how it proc passives. Result will be same.
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

It's a great ability, but it ain't cheap. Even on my Magplar with a fair amount of reduction it costs around 2800 magicka. It used to be cheaper, around 2000, but they increased the cost 4-5 months ago.

It was actually about 1200. Purifying ritual cost about 1200 magicka and purified 5 negative effects. It was changed to ritual of retribution, giving it a dot, but reducing the amount of negative effects cleansed to 2. The templar community was outraged about the change and as a result ZOS gave extended ritual the ability to cleanse 5 negative effects. Thus, the templar purify was ninja nerfed due to the cost increase.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »
    I understand the blazing spear nerd. I do not understand the justification for leaving Luminous in its current useless form which leaves the only Templar AOE control skill as nova.

I don't understand the blazing spear nerf. It's not easy to use and it takes practice and anticipation to effectively cc someone.

Nah it's pretty easy to use, it's got a large radius. The skill is currently exceptionally strong. The nerf doesn't bother me but common sense suggested that the stun would go to luminous - which it didn't.

Have you ever dueled anyone that knows how to block? The only way to CC someone like that is to catch them gap closing or with animation canceled dawnbreaker. Blazing spear was a good ability, but it was far from exceptional. Now it's worthless in pvp.

Yes. I'm one of those cretins who religiously block spear and spear chuck magplars mid charge.

I would argue that using a telegraphed blazing spear for a stun is not a proper form of CC in a duel, and if you are using it in a duel as your primary CC then I'd venture to say that you probably don't do too well versus good duelists. More importantly, this game is not balanced around duels and it shouldn't be.

The strength of blazing spear in a group PVP setting was phenomenal and overperforming. The burst damage with burning light (50% chance to proc due to first tick executing on impact, 75% if the target didn't immediately roll out of the radius), perpetual reveal and the stun in an AOE skill makes what should be the better CC option in Aurora Javelin look mediocre at best which is why people are complaining despite it hitting quite hard and being a pretty strong CC.
    I understand the blazing spear nerd. I do not understand the justification for leaving Luminous in its current useless form which leaves the only Templar AOE control skill as nova.

I don't understand the blazing spear nerf. It's not easy to use and it takes practice and anticipation to effectively cc someone.

Nah it's pretty easy to use, it's got a large radius. The skill is currently exceptionally strong. The nerf doesn't bother me but common sense suggested that the stun would go to luminous - which it didn't.

If opponents know what they are doing, it isn't easy to hit them with Blazing Spear.

It was not and never a strong ability. It is a versatile ability with many uses. It's a huge difference.

Yes it is easy, the radius is large, templars have a built in snare and the capability of giving someone teh unpurgeable 66% snare. Templar has all the tools it needs to make Blazing Spear quite reliable in a vast majority of circumstances - whether you opt to use them or not has nothing to do with spears effectiveness. Granted you won't be catching someone running away at mach speed, but then again they are running away.

The ability to throw out gobs of AOE damage, AOE snare, AOE stun, 28m of healing omniscience, and single target execute someone below 50% health with the most powerful execute in the game all on one bar (and still having a skill left to boot), whilst nearly permablocking suggests that quite a few things are overperforming. There is no other class that has even remotely close to that level of utility with that few amount of skills.

The nerf was justified. Not moving the stun to Luminous though, to make it an attractive CC, makes no sense though.

It's amazing how everyone on this forum is a PvP expert. OK, so you can religiously block this and spear chuck magplars mid charge and yet the people you play are incapable of simply moving out of the way of a telegraphed AoE that takes time to actually land.

AoE CC? 75% Burning porc? Disingenuous at best and misinformation at worst. Spears only CC one target and your math is wrong [edit: @danno8 provided math].

Less time admiring your own PvP play, more time on correct mechanics please.

Blocking =/= simply moving out of the way. How you came to that conclusion is a bit past me.

Blazing Spear is in fact an AoE and a CC, it literally is in the tool tip. It says Stun (CC) and Area of Effect (AOE). Regardless of the math, the burning light proc from it is pretty reliable.

Do you have anything qualitative to add or are you in the business of simply discrediting people in an effort to trump their opinion (which just so happens to probably be one of the developers reasonings)?
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you ever dueled anyone that knows how to block? The only way to CC someone like that is to catch them gap closing or with animation canceled dawnbreaker. Blazing spear was a good ability, but it was far from exceptional. Now it's worthless in pvp.

Yes. I'm one of those cretins who religiously block spear and spear chuck magplars mid charge.

I would argue that using a telegraphed blazing spear for a stun is not a proper form of CC in a duel, and if you are using it in a duel as your primary CC then I'd venture to say that you probably don't do too well versus good duelists. More importantly, this game is not balanced around duels and it shouldn't be.

The strength of blazing spear in a group PVP setting was phenomenal and overperforming. The burst damage with burning light (50% chance to proc due to first tick executing on impact, 75% if the target didn't immediately roll out of the radius), perpetual reveal and the stun in an AOE skill makes what should be the better CC option in Aurora Javelin look mediocre at best which is why people are complaining despite it hitting quite hard and being a pretty strong CC.

If opponents know what they are doing, it isn't easy to hit them with Blazing Spear.

It was not and never a strong ability. It is a versatile ability with many uses. It's a huge difference.

Yes it is easy, the radius is large, templars have a built in snare and the capability of giving someone teh unpurgeable 66% snare. Templar has all the tools it needs to make Blazing Spear quite reliable in a vast majority of circumstances - whether you opt to use them or not has nothing to do with spears effectiveness. Granted you won't be catching someone running away at mach speed, but then again they are running away.

The ability to throw out gobs of AOE damage, AOE snare, AOE stun, 28m of healing omniscience, and single target execute someone below 50% health with the most powerful execute in the game all on one bar (and still having a skill left to boot), whilst nearly permablocking suggests that quite a few things are overperforming. There is no other class that has even remotely close to that level of utility with that few amount of skills.

The nerf was justified. Not moving the stun to Luminous though, to make it an attractive CC, makes no sense though.

It's amazing how everyone on this forum is a PvP expert. OK, so you can religiously block this and spear chuck magplars mid charge and yet the people you play are incapable of simply moving out of the way of a telegraphed AoE that takes time to actually land.

AoE CC? 75% Burning porc? Disingenuous at best and misinformation at worst. Spears only CC one target and your math is wrong [edit: @danno8 provided math].

Blocking =/= simply moving out of the way. How you came to that conclusion is a bit past me.

Blazing Spear is in fact an AoE and a CC, it literally is in the tool tip. It says Stun (CC) and Area of Effect (AOE). Regardless of the math, the burning light proc from it is pretty reliable.

Do you have anything qualitative to add or are you in the business of simply discrediting people in an effort to trump their opinion (which just so happens to probably be one of the developers reasonings)?

Would you care to quote those dev comments on blazing spear? On second thought, just give me the beer goggles that you use to read them with.

Blazing spear is a ground based AOE CC that only CC's one person per cast. That person has to be in the AOE when it contacts the ground about a second after its cast. If that person is blocking, they will not be cc'ed. Please enlighten me on how this ability was OP enough that it needed nerfed. There are 2 simple counters. Block or simply move out of the way before it hits the ground.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a great ability, but it ain't cheap. Even on my Magplar with a fair amount of reduction it costs around 2800 magicka. It used to be cheaper, around 2000, but they increased the cost 4-5 months ago.

It was actually about 1200. Purifying ritual cost about 1200 magicka and purified 5 negative effects. It was changed to ritual of retribution, giving it a dot, but reducing the amount of negative effects cleansed to 2. The templar community was outraged about the change and as a result ZOS gave extended ritual the ability to cleanse 5 negative effects. Thus, the templar purify was ninja nerfed due to the cost increase.

It wasn't that cheap for me, but I do know that I use to be able to spam it, but now if I hit it several times (to cleanse the insane number of effects with poisons/procs/regular skills) it takes a healthy chunk of my magicka.

edit: Oh wait Purifying used to have reduced cost, that's right. Now I use extended which is more expensive. I though they increased the cost on both though...
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It wasn't that cheap for me, but I do know that I use to be able to spam it, but now if I hit it several times (to cleanse the insane number of effects with poisons/procs/regular skills) it takes a healthy chunk of my magicka.

edit: Oh wait Purifying used to have reduced cost, that's right. Now I use extended which is more expensive. I though they increased the cost on both though...

It also used to purify incoming projectiles such as snipe and crystal frags. It was a bug, but a very useful bug since total dark has been so bad for so long.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Would you care to quote those dev comments on blazing spear? On second thought, just give me the beer goggles that you use to read them with.

Blazing spear is a ground based AOE CC that only CC's one person per cast. That person has to be in the AOE when it contacts the ground about a second after its cast. If that person is blocking, they will not be cc'ed. Please enlighten me on how this ability was OP enough that it needed nerfed. There are 2 simple counters. Block or simply move out of the way before it hits the ground.

I said probably, and unless you can provide a better reason as to why they would remove the stun from blazing spear than why are you challenging it? For the sake of challenging it with not informative opinion as to why it was nerfed to begin with? Perhaps you should remove the beer goggles.

And in your counter argument, you literally used AOE and CC in your hodgepodge explanation explaining why it is not an AOE CC ability. The skill is an AOE and it has a CC component that searches for a target to stun in it's AOE.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I said probably, and unless you can provide a better reason as to why they would remove the stun from blazing spear than why are you challenging it? For the sake of challenging it with not informative opinion as to why it was nerfed to begin with? Perhaps you should remove the beer goggles.

And in your counter argument, you literally used AOE and CC in your hodgepodge explanation explaining why it is not an AOE CC ability. The skill is an AOE and it has a CC component that searches for a target to stun in it's AOE.

It's because when people say "AoE CC", they usually mean a CC that can hit more than one target.

It's semantics, but in this case it is important. BS and Soul Tether are both AoE CC, but only one CC's 6 targets...
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. My guess is that they have the same problem you do regarding the templar class in open world pvp. They are ignorant of the handicaps that a templar faces after having blinding flashes and now the blazing spear cc removed.

2. I explained why blazing spear is not OP. It's a telegraphed skill that takes a little under a second to land. Block it or move out of the red circle. If that's hard for you to comprehend then I understand why this debate has reached this point.
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's because when people say "AoE CC", they usually mean a CC that can hit more than one target.

It's semantics, but in this case it is important. BS and Soul Tether are both AoE CC, but only one CC's 6 targets...

I went out of my way to explain that to him. It's a ground based AOE that only cc's 1 person per cast. He skims over everyone's posts and then continues to spew his ignorance.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you all set Wrobels post here.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3762292#Comment_3762292

Seems as far as Stamplar goes, they are waiting it see if we use Power of the light to see how prism helps. I just don't know stll if its even worth slotting and a little ultimate gain just doesn't seem to help the weaknesses I see.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3762292#Comment_3762292

Seems as far as Stamplar goes, they are waiting it see if we use Power of the light to see how prism helps. I just don't know stll if its even worth slotting and a little ultimate gain just doesn't seem to help the weaknesses I see.

Power of the light seems like it may be useful for duels...

But for open world where burst is key i don't think i can afford to attack a guy for 6s in order to get it to do any worthwhile dmg.

I suppose you could use it in groups as a sort of marker for the group to target, e.g. a healer.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Power of the light seems like it may be useful for duels...

But for open world where burst is key i don't think i can afford to attack a guy for 6s in order to get it to do any worthwhile dmg.

I suppose you could use it in groups as a sort of marker for the group to target, e.g. a healer.

I just can't find a slot I would want to spend on it. I guess as you say; in duels maybe. Just seems too situational and if they cleanse, it still gets removed; right?
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is not need to discredit when your false information already does a good enough job as it is. You did not say blazing spear is an AoE and a CC. You said "AOE stun," which is wrong and misleading. And the math is very important, especially when you get it wrong.

If you paid attention to what Rich Lambert wrote, you would know why ZoS changed Blazing spear. His reasoning is not the same as yours. You think it's a nerf. That's no how Lambert explained it and in many respects of the game, the skill on Homestead is actually superior - any templar DPS would take the new version in a raid in a heartbeat because it's a DPS increase and it makes the rotation easier.

You made it quite clear that you think templars should get nerfed. You are entitled to that opinion, but when you come here and deliberately spread misleading information to propagate that agenda, you are going to get called out on it. Every time.

That's qualitative enough.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

There is not need to discredit when your false information already does a good enough job as it is. You did not say blazing spear is an AoE and a CC. You said "AOE stun," which is wrong and misleading. And the math is very important, especially when you get it wrong.

If you paid attention to what Rich Lambert wrote, you would know why ZoS changed Blazing spear. His reasoning is not the same as yours. You think it's a nerf. That's no how Lambert explained it and in many respects of the game, the skill on Homestead is actually superior - any templar DPS would take the new version in a raid in a heartbeat because it's a DPS increase and it makes the rotation easier.

You made it quite clear that you think templars should get nerfed. You are entitled to that opinion, but when you come here and deliberately spread misleading information to propagate that agenda, you are going to get called out on it. Every time.

Okay.

So are you actually going to post something useful or not?
  • Franieck
    Franieck
    ✭✭✭✭
    as a magplar, I would find it awesome if something went wrong with update 13 and it would get delayed until next year :B
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay.

So are you actually going to post something useful or not?

I already did. Multiple times. While actually testing stuff on the PTS. Using correct factual information. Doing more than posting misleading memes. Quite a lot actually.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/313227/make-eclipse-mediocre-again

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3700305/#Comment_3700305
    Edited by Joy_Division on February 5, 2017 2:28PM
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That's all I asked for.

The class has 2 other forms of hard CC for a total of 3 options. Saying the class lacks hard CC options is just blatantly false - the class has the most hard CC options available to it, discounting ultimates. Having a reliable stun that also has respectable AOE DPS when the class has 2 other options that also stun is ridiculous. Blazing Spear synergizes with itself, wherin it should synergize with the use of other skills.

Also this game uses PRND, not RNG to reduce randomness and luck and have more consistency with procs (this does not hold for loot). The math is P(N) = c x N. Granted I derped pretty hard and put the actual probability at 25%, when it's not (probably closer to 8%) and thanks for pointing that out and correcting me, but there was no reason to get hostile right off the bat.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blazing Spear synergizes with itself, wherin it should synergize with the use of other skills.

Well they certainly missed the mark on this. Now there is no reason at all the use that morph in PvP.

Edited by timidobserver on February 5, 2017 9:17PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's all I asked for.

The class has 2 other forms of hard CC for a total of 3 options. Saying the class lacks hard CC options is just blatantly false - the class has the most hard CC options available to it, discounting ultimates. Having a reliable stun that also has respectable AOE DPS when the class has 2 other options that also stun is ridiculous. Blazing Spear synergizes with itself, wherin it should synergize with the use of other skills.

Also this game uses PRND, not RNG to reduce randomness and luck and have more consistency with procs (this does not hold for loot). The math is P(N) = c x N. Granted I derped pretty hard and put the actual probability at 25%, when it's not (probably closer to 8%) and thanks for pointing that out and correcting me, but there was no reason to get hostile right off the bat.

You obviously are trolling seeing how the other forms of CC are bugged and easily countered. This was our only CC not affected by shuffle. If you stepped out of a zerg and attempted to play a magplar solo or duel you might understand the necessity of blazing spear in its current form on the live server.

Edit: I have went out of my way to point out your ignorance on all of these posts as a service to the templar community. This is my last post regarding your discussion of this topic. Someone else can deal with your ignorance from now on.

@Joy_Division maybe your eloquence is better suited for this task.
    Edited by Ron_Burgundy_79 on February 6, 2017 12:22AM
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    #STAMPLARLIVESMATTER
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A moment of silence for our dear departed friend: Blazing spear CC.

*Salutes* :'(
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
  • NoFlash
    NoFlash
    ✭✭✭
    RIP in peace old templar.

Hello frost staff meta tank unlimited sustain templar.
    Daggerfall Covenant

The Ninja Squirrels
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so with cc gone from blazing spear will the other morph be worth using?
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EvoAZN wrote: »

Rest in peace in peace?
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest in peace in peace?

Yes. Not only is the old templar in peace but so is the environment in which he rests. Sorta like a peace inception.

At any rate; I am sitting here wondering what I am doing as a stamplar when there is all this sustain to be had with magicka after the patch. I know I get cheaper sweeps and javelin, but I don't know...
    Edited by technohic on February 6, 2017 1:41PM
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Rest in peace in peace?

Yes. Not only is the old templar in peace but so is the environment in which he rests. Sorta like a peace inception.

At any rate; I am sitting here wondering what I am doing as a stamplar when there is all this sustain to be had with magicka after the patch. I know I get cheaper sweeps and javelin, but I don't know...

I've found a happy medium(literally) between damage and sustain. Its the most damage possible with 2k+ recovery. Still, the amount sacrificed to achieve the recovery....I've just accepted we are destined to be the class for the more skilled stamina players to play.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest in peace in peace?

I've found a happy medium(literally) between damage and sustain. Its the most damage possible with 2k+ recovery. Still, the amount sacrificed to achieve the recovery....I've just accepted we are destined to be the class for the more skilled stamina players to play.

Yeah I'm running about the same regen. I'm off meta but regardless of what is strong, I have done better as a stamplar because it suits me best. When I first switched; I wasn't sure if it was the play style or the fact I started going to Azuras over Had with my now ~250 CP but did some Had this past weekend again and I still was doing a lot better. I could get killed a lot easier than my trolling in Azuras but I was definitely better.

Best thing is; I am running out of desire to tweak my build as I like it more and more so the biggest gain will be just focusing on getting better with it. Noticed with a stamplar that I have to preemptively make sure I have rally up and extended and I need to give vigor some time compared to BOL. Just can't expect to push a button and save my ass any more.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    so with cc gone from blazing spear will the other morph be worth using?

No but you should probably use it anyway given no better option to break block.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)