The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

PTS Feedback Thread for Templar Balance Improvements

• templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    templesus wrote: »
    EvoAZN wrote: »
    RIP in peace old templar.

Hello frost staff meta tank unlimited sustain templar.

Rest in peace in peace?

Yes. Not only is the old templar in peace but so is the environment in which he rests. Sorta like a peace inception.

At any rate; I am sitting here wondering what I am doing as a stamplar when there is all this sustain to be had with magicka after the patch. I know I get cheaper sweeps and javelin, but I don't know...

I've found a happy medium(literally) between damage and sustain. Its the most damage possible with 2k+ recovery. Still, the amount sacrificed to achieve the recovery....I've just accepted we are destined to be the class for the more skilled stamina players to play.

Yeah I'm running about the same regen. I'm off meta but regardless of what is strong, I have done better as a stamplar because it suits me best. When I first switched; I wasn't sure if it was the play style or the fact I started going to Azuras over Had with my now ~250 CP but did some Had this past weekend again and I still was doing a lot better. I could get killed a lot easier than my trolling in Azuras but I was definitely better.

Best thing is; I am running out of desire to tweak my build as I like it more and more so the biggest gain will be just focusing on getting better with it. Noticed with a stamplar that I have to preemptively make sure I have rally up and extended and I need to give vigor some time compared to BOL. Just can't expect to push a button and save my ass any more.

Worst thing with stamplar is rune. Our main defense in medium is dodge roll yet we are supposed to stay in that small circle, it's ridiculous.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest in peace in peace?

Yes. Not only is the old templar in peace but so is the environment in which he rests. Sorta like a peace inception.

At any rate; I am sitting here wondering what I am doing as a stamplar when there is all this sustain to be had with magicka after the patch. I know I get cheaper sweeps and javelin, but I don't know...

I've found a happy medium(literally) between damage and sustain. Its the most damage possible with 2k+ recovery. Still, the amount sacrificed to achieve the recovery....I've just accepted we are destined to be the class for the more skilled stamina players to play.

Yeah I'm running about the same regen. I'm off meta but regardless of what is strong, I have done better as a stamplar because it suits me best. When I first switched; I wasn't sure if it was the play style or the fact I started going to Azuras over Had with my now ~250 CP but did some Had this past weekend again and I still was doing a lot better. I could get killed a lot easier than my trolling in Azuras but I was definitely better.

Best thing is; I am running out of desire to tweak my build as I like it more and more so the biggest gain will be just focusing on getting better with it. Noticed with a stamplar that I have to preemptively make sure I have rally up and extended and I need to give vigor some time compared to BOL. Just can't expect to push a button and save my ass any more.

Worst thing with stamplar is rune. Our main defense in medium is dodge roll yet we are supposed to stay in that small circle, it's ridiculous.

Yeah. You still use it? I do, but it is annoying as I have to recast it every few seconds if I want the advantage. In PvE it's not so bad as I can dance around a boss or something in and out of it but in PvP that's not really an option unless I am circling LOS or something.
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Rest in peace in peace?

Yeah. You still use it? I do, but it is annoying as I have to recast it every few seconds if I want the advantage. In PvE it's not so bad as I can dance around a boss or something in and out of it but in PvP that's not really an option unless I am circling LOS or something.

Its way to good not to use. Minor protection and vitality along with our resistance buff. You'd be crazy not to.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest in peace in peace?

Its way to good not to use. Minor protection and vitality along with our resistance buff. You'd be crazy not to.

That's generally where I land on it, but I sometimes question it if I forget to make sure I have it up at times.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a good ability. For example:
    - Spectres Eye set will trigger if you use the rune. Based on cost, it's a cheap way for a magicka build to add dodge to their defense.
    - the magicka Regen is the better of the morphs. Though the extra dmg reduction is harder to come by naturally.
    - take takes some getting used to, but it helps you to plan where you want to stand your ground. It did suck if you want to roll around avoiding attacks.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed out on this thread but here's my rundown of Templar balance:
    - most of last patch I've been playing a staff Templar. It has its ups and downs but overall it's a playstyle I like.
    - the Templars strength is in their defensive toolkit. We can block 10% extra melee dmg, gain extra healing, gain extra spell resistance, and have ultimates that reduce the dmg we take. But that means we fail for offense and are sometimes suited for support roles. But we can try to gain bonuses from other areas.
    - javelin can be a great skill. But separating it between stam/Magicka limits the player unfairly since how do you pick which resource pool gets the better dmg morph? I think they should make this skill scale off your highest stat but make one morph drop the players block without high dmg potential and the other keep the dmg increase based on distance. I would like to see Templars use this skill and the ability to drop a players block would add a utility use whereas players looking to add a burst could pick the latter. Also the distance morph matches a bow playstyle that I hope stays.
    - I dropped shards in PvP. If a player can avoid my big AOE circle from ritual of retribution, then how do I expect players to stay in the small AOE of shards? DPS loss unless I'm fighting NPCs.
    - I've been a vocal supporter of Jesus beam. The nerf is here, but the purpose of the beam is a range execute that had an effective range of from 40% health or lower in PvE and the ability to hit through dodge for Pvp. Zergs or a combo chain will always kill you or burst you down, and players will have to get used to it.
    - for mysetup, I have no room for eclipse. If I could use it, I would choose the dmg morph to help time a combo to bring a player down to effective execute range. Dark flare serves this purpose though so that's why I don't use eclipse. If one of the morphs could allow undodgable but blockable/purged dmg, that could open up burst potential for a ranged/staff build. Otherwise this skill is very niche, even for PvE.
    - empowering sweeps I use on my back bar. It's mostly for the spear Passives (extra crit dmg) for my heals and help my build gain a slight dmg reduction if 3 enemies decide to train. Otherwise I'm on my front bar using my ultimate of choice.
    - the ice staff brings the best changes. I look forward to what it will bring defensively for my staff Templar.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    POTL is pretty cool. Wasnt sure how it would end up with being broken at times on PTS.
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    so with cc gone from blazing spear will the other morph be worth using?

No but you should probably use it anyway given no better option to break block.

That's bad advice, using the other morph is just a way of giving enemies free CC immunity without actually ever CC'ing them.

• ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be using Luminous in pvp land but not for the CC. Literally only for when I'm in groups now that I'm not running repentance.
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »
    Syiccal wrote: »
    so with cc gone from blazing spear will the other morph be worth using?

No but you should probably use it anyway given no better option to break block.

That's bad advice, using the other morph is just a way of giving enemies free CC immunity without actually ever CC'ing them.

I guess it depends on what you are doing. It's useful if you are dueling or small scaling against dk, but yeh it wouldn't be the best thing to spam into a 30 man.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My HA Templar feels like garbage after the Homestead patch.

- Heavy Armor dynamic damage increase 50% nerfed
    - Radiant destruction 21% nerfed, almost useless in SOLO now
    - Blazing Spear CC 100% nerfed, skill useless in SOLO now

Overall, it feels like I am back at CP100 instead of having CP600.
    I am feeling reduced to a healing drone now amongst NBs with insane damage.

After playing the classic HA Templar since release for 3 years,
    the classic solo HA Templar finally is DEAD. Thank you, ZOS.

Edited by BalticBlues on February 22, 2017 9:20AM
  • AuldWolf
    AuldWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Templar being slaughtered for solo/small group PvE is something I saw coming from a mile away, honestly. It's why I gave up. My partner and I were doing a last, ditch attempt to actually make something of ESO with a Dragon Knight & Templar duo, our builds designed to compliment one another. We had it all planned out and it was going fairly great.

This is why MMOs lose numbers so rapidly -- bad balance teams. I'm hoping that won't catch the ire of moderation, because it's the truth. If you're reigning nuke nerfs down on your players as often as ESO now is, then you're going to be destroying everyone's best laid plans. And you do have to plan when you're playing a game like this, even as casual players with concept builds, you're still going to be looking at what you're doing and how it'll all work. My partner and I were using concept builds, to be sure, but they were functional enough that we could've done well with them.

A bad balancing team only looks at this + this + this + that in a min-maxed setting, then they nerf the 'this' component harshly without realising that most of their players aren't going to be running that exact configuration. I've belaboured the point of how bad balancing can kill a game, just as it killed Battleborn, Champions Online, and so many other past titles. Good balancing can save a game, too. A hands-off approach to balancing, adding counters with a preference for buffing over nerfing is the way to go. If you balance with a counter-focused attitude, you're not going to be ruining every concept build on a monthly basis.

ESO used to have a much more counter & buff focused attitude before Lambert took over. So I can only imagine that the blame lies at his feet. I've been watching numerous videos about this and all of the expert balancers out there seem to agree on this, that nuclear nerfs just ruin a game and drive the players away.

Look at BalticBlues post. Every Templar player is going to feel like that. Do you really think you're not going to be haemorrhaging subscriptions with this?

I don't know why I bother, really. I guess I still care about ESO. But this bold new approach to balancing? It's just a bad idea, through and through. Counter & buff focused balancing is how it needs to be, otherwise you're going to have an unsustainable playerbase. Sure, you'll bring in new people but they won't stay because you'll be destroying their favourite characters. Furthermore, the fun players, the ones that like to roleplay and really get into their characters, will see your game as anathema to what they want. You're going to be destroying their efforts every patch, so they won't bother. You'll just end up with an increasingly toxic community.

You'll end up with a game played only by min-maxers. I don't think that ESO really works for that.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the lack of a cc is killing me arghh
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They wanted people to use both blazing spear and luminous shards, by my own experience as having templar as a main, majority of templar population used blazing spear as dominant morph.

ZOS made blazing more dps focused, while luminous CC focused one, however luminous shards doesn't work properly because of burning light passive breaking luminous shards CC and they acknowledged that problem in patch notes, however sadly they didn't fixed it on homestead release.

Our only hope as templars, is to wait for next patch, to be more on optimistic side, at least they are going to work on making luminous better CC. We will just have to be patient and wait.
  • Some_Guy
    Some_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭
    West93 wrote: »
    They wanted people to use both blazing spear and luminous shards, by my own experience as having templar as a main, majority of templar population used blazing spear as dominant morph.

ZOS made blazing more dps focused, while luminous CC focused one, however luminous shards doesn't work properly because of burning light passive breaking luminous shards CC and they acknowledged that problem in patch notes, however sadly they didn't fixed it on homestead release.

Our only hope as templars, is to wait for next patch, to be more on optimistic side, at least they are going to work on making luminous better CC. We will just have to be patient and wait.

Because that's worked so well for us over the last 3 years.
    We Wipe On Trash
    Vivian Naiviv CP Altmer Sorcerer
    Shivnado the Potato CP Redguard Sorcerer
    Cüddle Mönster CP Argonian Sorcerer
    Ebonheart Pact Spy CP Dunmer Dragonknight
    Delilah Blackheart CP Redguard Dragonknight
    My Best Friend CP Argonian Dragonknight
    Sensual Heals CP Dunmer Templar
    Daggerfall Covenant Spy CP Redguard Templar
    Föcùs-Thê-Hælèr CP Argonian Templar
    Goes-the-Wrong-Way CP Dunmer Nightblade
    Anu'Thir Phuh'Kinspy CP Redguard Nightblade
    Works-in-Sweatshop CP Argonian Nightblade
    Anu'thir Phuh'kin Bearpun CP Altmer Warden
    Bubble Crumbles CP Redguard Warden
    A'driån Kin'hör CP Argonian Warden
    Clearly, your egg was left in the shade too long.