Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

PTS Feedback Thread for Sorcerer Balance Improvements

• NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say I'm sheathing my Sorc Swords, but what the hell do you replace curse with if the new one is awful? We They just have to wait to see who can figure this out on PTS, while I wonder in PS4 purgatory.

Velocious Curse has stayed on my bar since it was unlocked. Who thought VCurse needed a change more than the list of other skills people never use? Are they making good skills bad, in order to make the others look good by comparison and get used?

"Haunting" is for Scooby-Doo, "Velocious" means fast but sounds menacing.

74507636.jpg

Fear is the Mindkiller
    Options
  • Icarus42
    Icarus42
    ✭✭✭
    Tried haunting curse on pts.... it is total crap. The only thing it might be good for is another component to a pve rotation against bosses. As a duel wield sorc it cuts my dps by a third and completely useless in duel and pvp. If zenimax really feels that they absolutely need to use this concept replace daedric prey with haunted but LEAVE VELOCIOUS CURSE ALONE!!!!!!!
    Ebonheart Pact - PC NA - Magicka Sorcerer
    Options
  • DragonBound
    DragonBound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarydf wrote: »
    The staff passive will not apply to overload. No weapon passives do. I still don't get why this is happening? Who was 1000 max ultimate a problem for? Why did it need to be "fixed/nerfed"? The staff change is a 10% nerf to staff heavy attacks due to the charge speed passive it replaces with a single target OR aoe 8% given back.

Ummm it increases the single target or aoe dps does it not? How would that not apply? I do not recall it saying staff abilities only.
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ku5h wrote: »
    Derra wrote: »
    Beardimus wrote: »

Curse we need to wait and see.

Nah friend we dont need to wait and see, they need to revert these changes. The sorc community has spoken and we are seriously triggered by being pushed into summoner class. PVP sorcs are literally leaving the game and canceling subs over this. The pet buff was fine for people who want to run pets, but most of us dont and that should be clear by this thread alone.

Sorc is in a really really good spot though with the next patch.
    The curse change is just a minor hickup. The buffs to staves outweight this by far.

DW sorcs on the other hand. Well. RIP.

So 8% buff to AoE makes up for completely ruining fundamental part of your burst. Yea sure your are not biased at all.

8% to your singletarget dmg. That´s huge. Especially when it comes alongside an open skillslot on your mainbar.

Edit: I can hardly be biased in the way you imply i would be. I main a magica sorc since beta and love the class enough to have 4 in total.
    Edited by Derra on January 5, 2017 10:34PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah friend we dont need to wait and see, they need to revert these changes. The sorc community has spoken and we are seriously triggered by being pushed into summoner class. PVP sorcs are literally leaving the game and canceling subs over this. The pet buff was fine for people who want to run pets, but most of us dont and that should be clear by this thread alone.

The curse change is just a minor hickup. The buffs to staves outweight this by far.

So 8% buff to AoE makes up for completely ruining fundamental part of your burst. Yea sure your are not biased at all.

8% to your singletarget dmg. That´s huge. Especially when it comes alongside an open skillslot on your mainbar.

Edit: I can hardly be biased in the way you imply i would be. I main a magica sorc since beta and love the class enough to have 4 in total.

8% to a single target if using fire staff, which i dont want to use. That 8% will apply on c.frag and force pulse and thats it, where your curse, ulti and execute wont be affected by it since they all have AoE component. So that 8% ST buff you keep mentioning is no where near black and white as you think.
    Yea opening skill slot is great when you have to remove one of your fundamental skills from it. Silver lining i guess! Btw, my main bar already has all the skill i need there and this change wouldnt make me back bar it.
    Options
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Enjoy your 500 DPS spamming force pulse. But you won't be killing anyone with that.
    Options
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two things so far have stuck out me regarding sorcerer changes:

1. The reduction of hurricane damage
    2. Yet another reduced cost for encase

For the first point I can't understand why hurricane has had its damage reduced. It has certainly helped sustained damage over the past few patches, but has never seemed to be a major outlier in performance. It is usually 3rd in damage on my AOE fights and 4th or 5th for damage in my single target fights. That's while playing stam builds dedicated to physical and damage over time abilities. Is this being done so more stamina damage can be made available in future patches, or is it just a way to nerf high performing trial sorcerers while crippling everyone else?

Secondly reducing encase cost again doesn't really fix anything. Back when I played my sorc as magicka I was able to use encase as much as I want. It wasn't the cost holding me back, but the skill itself. The hit box as a line AOE root just doesn't play well. It is unreliable and limiting because it only faces one direction. Then there are the morphs themselves. The damage morph always needed a ridiculous amount of enemies stacked together to make it appealing. The snare morph doesn't trigger if people roll out of encase and there are more reliable ways to snare someone.

As someone who plays stamina sorcerer only now I would love a way to incorporate encase because rooted enemies trigger a 15% damage bonus for dual wield. The problem is the cost would have to be so low that it would be beyond trivial for a magicka sorcerer to use, along with the fact that the skill itself is still lackluster.

What I propose is that the hitbox of encase be revamped into a point blank AOE and the morphs themselves be made more appealing.

Encase should be changed to ground based aoe, (Like impulse) for one of the morphs. Other morph does need a hitbox fix as previous poster suggested.
    Options
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to test out the Strom Atro buff and see how it feels, but seeing as it ****ING VANISHES INTO THIS AIR ALONG WITH 170 ULT HALF THE TIME I DROP IT.... wellll... things are just a little difficult.
    This bug has been around for months, when will it be fixed, when will it even be acknowledged? So few people use the ult and I doubt they even know it exists.
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    Benthar the Unkillable - lvl 50 StamDK - AD
    High Confessor Celosia - lvl 50 MagDK, AD
    Aeolyndra Sunstrider - lvl 50 Magplar Support God, AD
    Maldreth Angala - lvl 50 Magicka PetSorc, AD
    Veldrosa Wyldwind - lvl 50 StamSorc, AD
    M. Night Shatupon - lvl 50 MagBlade, AD
    Vestonia Ironhardt - lvl 50 Warden GuardTank, AD
    Bone Daddy - lvl 50 Stamcro, AD
    Abra Kedaver - lvl 50 Magcro, AD
    CP 1100+
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

8% to a single target if using fire staff, which i dont want to use. That 8% will apply on c.frag and force pulse and thats it, where your curse, ulti and execute wont be affected by it since they all have AoE component. So that 8% ST buff you keep mentioning is no where near black and white as you think.
    Yea opening skill slot is great when you have to remove one of your fundamental skills from it. Silver lining i guess! Btw, my main bar already has all the skill i need there and this change wouldnt make me back bar it.

Every skill that has a dedicated singletarget with a destinct aoe component (curse, fury) benefits from the firestaff buff - i know because i´ve tested that.
    If you don´t want to use it that´s up to you.
    Minalan wrote: »

Enjoy your 500 DPS spamming force pulse. But you won't be killing anyone with that.

What an convincing argument.

I mean i get you´re upset DW sorc is getting shafted by one of wrobels questionable designdecisions.
    But this is in no way constructive or anything. That´s just :cry::bawling: : "Mr. Wrobbels took mah :cookie: "

Edit: I really get why people playing DW absolutely think this is a terrible change and i agree with them in that regard - reducing buildvariety sucks. But it´s not going to break the class. With all changes coming magsorc is going to be stronger than before homestead.
    Edited by Derra on January 5, 2017 11:24PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • potirondb16_ESO
    potirondb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, since Force Pulse is our bread and butter dps move + blockade of fire, I feel that on the long run the overall dps setting of the sorc is gonna improve. If ypu choose staff wisely you can get up to 10% dps on all your bar while maintaining +6% for using more lighting.

The modification to velocious Curse will also help pve sorc with sustain issue with the new meta for draining.

It will be 1 cast for 2 proc in 12s. Instead of 3 cast for 3 procs in 10.5 (which might end up being 12 if you miss a cperfect cast). So overall 66% cost reduction for 33% damage reduction which isn't bad.

The real issue that withstand for magsorc is the fact that any class but templar make good healer because of how well templar can help with team ressource management and that no class but Dk make great tank because no class can get the same ressource/utility as the DK.

Which means that sorcerer daedric summoning tree is overall a waste since pet can mostly help for one of those two aspect and since everything in this tree is a toggle. Give us our main ressources boost on any passive of that class tree even if it is smaller and everything would be fine.
    Options
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Every skill that has a dedicated singletarget with a destinct aoe component (curse, fury) benefits from the firestaff buff - i know because i´ve tested that.
    If you don´t want to use it that´s up to you.
    Minalan wrote: »

What an convincing argument.

I mean i get you´re upset DW sorc is getting shafted by one of wrobels questionable designdecisions.
    But this is in no way constructive or anything. That´s just :cry::bawling: : "Mr. Wrobbels took mah :cookie: "

Edit: I really get why people playing DW absolutely think this is a terrible change and i agree with them in that regard - reducing buildvariety sucks. But it´s not going to break the class. With all changes coming magsorc is going to be stronger than before homestead.

If you ignore every situation where a 3.5s curse helps counter enemies in Cyrodiil, then yes. We'll be so much better off.

Edit: as I've already stated, PVP is more than just spamming force pulse. If you think someone is going to sit still and take all of your FP spam, I have to wonder how much PVP you do against good players? With curse? They didn't have any choice but to take one every 3.5 seconds.

I've already given a dozen reasons why it makes us weaker, but you're fixated on the 8% number. Which isn't all that much. I think you'll find I'm right in the end here.
    Edited by Minalan on January 5, 2017 11:34PM
    Options
  • jarydf
    jarydf
    ✭✭✭✭
    CosmicSoul wrote: »
    The staff passive will not apply to overload. No weapon passives do. I still don't get why this is happening? Who was 1000 max ultimate a problem for? Why did it need to be "fixed/nerfed"? The staff change is a 10% nerf to staff heavy attacks due to the charge speed passive it replaces with a single target OR aoe 8% given back.

Ummm it increases the single target or aoe dps does it not? How would that not apply? I do not recall it saying staff abilities only.

When you go on to the overload bar, you no longer have a weapon equiped. So passive buffs associated with the weapons don't work. That is why the famous sword "blade and blunt" 5% passive has no effect when you are on overload bar. This passive will be the same.
    Options
  • Hippie_Einstein
    Hippie_Einstein
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't posted at all if ever but I made this account two years ago when it came out on Xbox. I've only ever played sorc, wizard is life for me. I have over 1000 hours which may not be a lot for others but it is a lot for me. I've watched sorc repeatedly get bashed yet I've managed to continue past all these nerfs. But this is the last time ZOS. I've paid money repeatedly as I watch stamina and proc sets become the norm meanwhile magsorc is f'd with every patch. I've used skill to not let meta be a bother to me although how you don't see heavy armor and proc sets a problem is crazy. Go ahead ZOS, I've put up with your *** for ages. Nerf curse and watch all your good sorcs leave. I love this game but if this goes through I refuse to conform to play styles I don't like to play. If this isn't a sign of a problem then I am done playing. If this goes through it is clear you have no real idea of what to do with the game nor do you truly give two *** about your community.

TL;DR everyone is against this curse nerf. If you can't see that we as a community have voiced our opinions and are all majority against this then I have no problem cancelling my sub and leaving this game for others. I'll be sad to no longer play, I'll miss it but I'm not going to keep playing only for you to ruin my favorite class each patch. Enough is enough ZOS. Here's a clue, if all you care about is money (obvious) then you need to start listening to your customers.
    Known as BrockTheTrainer on xb1. Aldemeri Gang. 1v1 me on azura of haderus ;D
    Options
  • SanSan
    SanSan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about this?
    Keep Haunting Curse but change it around.
    Make it deal damage every 2 seconds for 6 seconds but it starts off with low damage and increases (like hurricane.)
    On the last blast make it deal more damage but can be blocked, if they do block it then they are stunned for 1 second.
    Options
  • Hippie_Einstein
    Hippie_Einstein
    ✭✭✭
    SanSan wrote: »
    How about this?
    Keep Haunting Curse but change it around.
    Make it deal damage every 2 seconds for 6 seconds but it starts off with low damage and increases (like hurricane.)
    On the last blast make it deal more damage but can be blocked, if they do block it then they are stunned for 1 second.

You're missing the point. This messes up rotation. Overall this would still be a long boring 12 seconds before we can recast.... This kills burst and makes it easily purgable. Simple fix; don't mess with a skill that's not broken.
    Options
  • DragonBound
    DragonBound
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When you go on to the overload bar, you no longer have a weapon equiped. So passive buffs associated with the weapons don't work. That is why the famous sword "blade and blunt" 5% passive has no effect when you are on overload bar. This passive will be the same.

Oh I am a dumb dumb I did not think of that for some odd reason thanks for correcting that.
    Options
  • KisoValley
    KisoValley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When people try to argue with Derra thinking he's a standard pug sorc who barely plays the class or doesn't know what he's talking about.

He's one of the best sorcs in the world across all platforms. He knows the class, and I and other sorcs can understand the nerf, even if we don't agree with it. He's pointing out why it's an understandable nerf with the buff to both flame/lightning staves and force pulse.
    Options
  • DragonBound
    DragonBound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KisoValley wrote: »
    When people try to argue with Derra thinking he's a standard pug sorc who barely plays the class or doesn't know what he's talking about.

He's one of the best sorcs in the world across all platforms. He knows the class, and I and other sorcs can understand the nerf, even if we don't agree with it. He's pointing out why it's an understandable nerf with the buff to both flame/lightning staves and force pulse.

I do not think anyone disagrees with the nerf for pvp except one guy.
    Options
  • K4RMA
    K4RMA
    ✭✭✭✭
    If these changes goes through, it will just confirm how incompetent the development team at ZOS is.

No one asked for a nerf to V. Curse. It's well balanced considering it's purgeable and the fact that the damage is fairly average against a well crafted build.

No one asked for a nerf to ultimate storage, and thus a nerf to overload. It can be reflected, roll dodged, blocked and makes the caster vulnerable. In PVE, all it does is mess with a fun unique build that is like no other in the game right now.

"Play the way you want" is becoming much less true in this game as each patch goes live. If you, the Developers at ZOS continue to alienate your community by making changes that no one approve of, or not listening to your community's feedback, then you're only shooting yourself in the foot. You've created an amazing game and It hurts me to see you slowly destroy it and the community that supports it.
    nerf mdk
    Options
  • Rastoric
    Rastoric
    ✭✭✭
    This is the official feedback thread for the Sorcerer for Update 13. Please let us know how you feel about the changes we made to this class, if you ran into any bugs, and any other feedback you'd like to give.

lol
    Just Say No! to changing Sorcerer Magicka skills to Stamina.
    Options
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    For the record, short tests indicate in PvE that this new curse will provide better sustain and damage (since less curse casts = more force pulse weaves) and 1 cast=2 curses. The change should be minor, but might help sorc damage and sustain a little bit. Actual good players (not me) should test this though.

Also note, the damage of curse depends on your bar, so it can be on a lightning staff back bar, and detonate on a fire staff front bar for more damage. Now if only we didn't need 8000 toggles...

More sustain maybe but, unless the skill has had a base damage buff, less damage because 2 curses in 12s < 3.43 curses in 12s. The 8% damage from inferno staff would have applied to velocious curse too. So we have to wait longer for less damage. This is going to be a pain to test correctly because velocious curse doesn't exist on pts and the new inferno passive doesn't exist on live. I welcome sustain buffs but not at the expense of damage and useability.

this is IMO really flawed logic.

They are adding the 8% staff boost AND the reduction to VC at the same time.

So arguing that we should judge it not by "live as a whole vs pts as a whole" but also by "part pts but not other part pts" is just wrong.

It seems fairly obvious they have made a bigger systemic change for magicas...

They add a pretty large global 8% uptick for staff users that applies to a given broad type of attacks (Aoe or single target with bar swap where needed).
    They look at class by class and where they see an ability that might be too good in the "+8%" they hit it some.
    Some classes get it to different areas etc and they objective seems to be to move the whole close to parity.

Now for me, it seemed VC was always the better option between the two morphs so dialing it back makes sense. Even with pets i would run VC over the other cuz it gave me significant gains and control whereas boosting pets damage did not measure up and was less controlled.

Now, maybe the 12s double tap isn't good enough? maybe it is given the "sustain" DPS gains and the +8%."

I know that i wouldn't want to be on the single target receiving end of a curse-emp-cfrags-wrath-boom trio with an 8% bonus to all three.

You might have misunderstood me. I was basically suggesting that people will report that haunting curse is now doing a bit more damage on pts while testing with an inferno staff. This is great if you use an inferno staff, but not so much if you don't. I was suggesting that the curse nerf will get masked by the inferno staff buff. How is that flawed logic? I admit I didn't do a very good job of explaining that. The only possible flawed logic I will admit to is the last sentence of the paragraph you replied to.

Frags is also a hard hitting skill that will benefit from the 8% inferno buff, you gonna suggest they nerf that too? Give sorcs the option for 8% more damage through a non-class skill line so remove a load of damage from their class skills? No thankyou. I don't like this kind of balance, whether is results in a damage increase with a specific weapon or not. I don't like having my options taken away.
    PC | EU
    Options
  • Hippie_Einstein
    Hippie_Einstein
    ✭✭✭

So you feel the nerf for PvP is justified? Or am I misunderstanding? This nerf is unneeded and limits sorc. The destro buff applies for everyone, nerf only applies to sorcs and kills burst damage as well as further limits our variety in play style.
    Options
  • KisoValley
    KisoValley
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From talking to Derra/other sorcs, they think it should be reverted and I'm one of them. But at the same time, it is understandable why it was nerfed. ZOS just went the wrong way about nerfing it, changing the amount of time was stupid.
    Options
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone remember the 10% damage boost the resto staff passive gave at full health? Every sorc ran double resto in pvp, including me. This time every sorc gonna be running inferno/resto. IIRC that resto passive was removed to encourage players to use different weapons.
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on January 6, 2017 2:54AM
    PC | EU
    Options
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please leave Velocious Curse alone.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
    Options
  • exiledtyrant
    exiledtyrant
    ✭✭✭
    Why would sorcerers be using fire staff when all shock damage is buffed by 5% from passives and off balance ( which blockade can proc frequently) gives another 10% buff to damage done all the time? That is without considering the ability to keep up vulnerability and another 8% damage buff on half your skills. Lightning looks like the best overall group support and damage option for sorcerers to me.
    Edited by exiledtyrant on January 6, 2017 7:01AM
    If all are brethren
    How could my hands not tremble
    As breath fled my prey?

What blinds my vision?
    My hands are tools; it must be
    The haze of blossoms

-Salous the Penitent
    Options
  • tamrielwinner
    tamrielwinner
    ✭✭✭
    please leave curse.
    please leave overload.

if the pet buffs come at the cost of nerfing other sorc abilities, then please do not buff the pets.
    Options
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some of the skills that were moved around in the skill trees like bound armor and destructive touch seem to have regressed after I did a full respec, preventing me from remorphing them. Touch dropped to lv2 and armor dropped to lv3.
    Edited by MercTheMage on January 6, 2017 8:17AM
    You just going to stand there like a lemon?
    Options
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why would sorcerers be using fire staff when all shock damage is buffed by 5% from passives and off balance ( which blockade can proc frequently) gives another 10% buff to damage done all the time? That is without considering the ability to keep up vulnerability and another 8% damage buff on half your skills. Lightning looks like the best overall group support and damage option for sorcerers to me.

Agree with the idea but it boils down to not that simple -

if you are a pvp burst type build structured around the VC-Wrath-FFrag trinity currently the light staff wouldn't be so hot. But if you are a more AOE centric, the lightning is definitely approaching a better choices, esp for PVE situations where highly mobile enemies are not as common as in pvp and where sustain dps is more critical than burst.

basically what will happen is just like it is done now different builds and skill selections will emerge minmaxing the combinations between passive, active and with a bit more focus on aoe v singles etc.

Many will adapt, some will thrive and some will pick up their toys and go home - just like any significant changes cause.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

Options
  • makeumrage
    makeumrage
    ✭✭✭
    Fix curse. All sorcs have left is burst and burn
    Increase shield duration IF wearing 5 piece light armor (maybe global 6 seconds to each shield?)
    Make the darn storm atro that might actually be usefull with the new damage be unable to be cced (like wth?)
    Maybe consider a usefull aoe for the sorc to get us outta the single target damge dealer area
    Options