Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Teamspeak vs Discord

Jemcrystal
Jemcrystal
✭✭✭✭✭
Which one is your favorite? Why? If asked to use your less favorite voice chat would you switch?
  • hamburgerler76
    hamburgerler76
    ✭✭✭✭
    teamspeak seems to be more stable but it cost money where as discord is great community hub but voice chat can be a bit laggy/ buggy for me and my guild at times
    Edited by hamburgerler76 on November 29, 2016 4:59AM
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    latest?cb=20160828113014

^ my face any time i have to use Discord. I prefer Teamspeak!
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • DragonBound
    DragonBound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discord is fine, if people have issues check your mic settings and etc, teamspeak if anything is more complicated even though it is not that complicated, and discord has nice text chat where you can share videos and pics right into the chat. Not to mention it is free and you can put more people on it at a time.
  • aelurosa
    aelurosa
    ✭✭
    My preference is for Teamspeak, but that is mainly because it's what I know. We use it in our guild quite happily, but i know others use Discord instead. They're both fine and do the job.
    @ Delirya.Gold
    GM of Rusty Old Dragons
    RustyOldDragons.com
  • mr1sho
    mr1sho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discord is way superior
    Gold Company Commander
  • ScooberSteve
    ScooberSteve
    ✭✭✭✭
    Teamspeak is way superior
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get what you pay for. TeamSpeak if it's for a serious raid where quality, stability and ease of use is important. Discord is fine if you just want to run around in a group for a bit of fun.
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TeamSpeak.
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't mind either although I believe TS has an edge quality wise.

Just have two issues common to both
    • I would like to get a properly working overlay out of either of them. Overwolf was working at one point then didn't after an update, then did sometimes but not other times after another update. At which point I gave up on screwing with it at all.
    • A common annoyance I have on both are people not using their @name, seems like a third of the people either use an old nickname and another third use a characters name who they are not playing.

As far as use... I will use whichever the raid leader requires.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TS3 is all I'll use.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • SkylarkX
    SkylarkX
    ✭✭✭✭
    Prefer Discord but use both
    Nocturnal - Oceanic PvX Guild
    Skylärk / Dunmer DK
    Skylårk / Bosmer NB
    Skylörd / Khajiit Sorcerer
    Elizabeth Skylark / Breton Templar
    PC/NA/AD
  • DigitalShibby
    DigitalShibby
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer teamspeak but my guild uses discord. Discord is nice as far as text chat ability, sharing images etc.. but for me at least it's all just extra unnessecary stuff, and discord sound quality seems off to me. When I'm on discord I have to pretty much mute all in game sounds in order to hear people talking where as team speak just seems more clear. I feel like discord spent a ton of time making their interface look good but their in game function feels lacking. With enough time tho I could see discord being the #1 chat program for gamers.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I actually have both downloaded, but in all 5 guilds I have we use Teamspeak. Personally I prefer Ts over Discord, but will use it at times.( Some of my favorite guildies like it and I will use it if grouping with them)
    Alucardo wrote: »
    You get what you pay for. TeamSpeak if it's for a serious raid where quality, stability and ease of use is important. Discord is fine if you just want to run around in a group for a bit of fun.

Agree 100%.. Well said!
    Huzzah!!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • dreddurius
    dreddurius
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that uses less system resource.
    CAN I HAZ UR STUFF?
  • Aletheion
    Aletheion
    ✭✭✭
    Teamspeak, Discord, Ventrillo, RaidCall, Skype, Mumble... I have them all installed and whoever wants to use what works for me. Discord by far the most convenient with the way the invitations work and how its web app, desktop app and smartphone app all respond to an invite.

They all seem to have a similar quality reliability from my experience.

-Aletheion
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ventrillo
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guild has a teamspeak server, but I also use mumble.

Can you host your own Discord server? If not, I'll probably never use it.
    Even on the internet, clear communication is important; it can be the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"; the difference between "knowing your s***" and "knowing you're s***".
    Greybeards & Gals - Civilised, laid-back, mature gamers. Beards optional. |
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My guild uses discord. I never had any problems with it so far. Only thing I ever did is to lower the volume of the game, and bring my guilmates volume to 200.

Also, its great tool to share written info or links.
  • Horker
    Horker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Discord all the way, because dank memes.

2016_11_29_2.pngimg hosting
    ROSES ARE RED, VIOLETS ARE BLUE, TRINIMAC IS DEAD, MALACATH IS TRUE
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    discord is so much better, the support for communicating with guilds is so good
    #MOREORBS
  • Sheey
    Sheey
    ✭✭✭✭
    On ts you can ban ppl very nice feature
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Discord has the options and utility I like, in addition to a higher audio quality for me.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TS is an old system that will bring lots of old tech baggage....with cost
    Discord is a new system tapping into all the latest tech....and free

Discord will surpass TS quality at some point and be way, way more versatile as a total communication hub.
    It will be like google vs aol
    The only way TS will survive is through loyal customers.
    IMHO
    ..or until discord starts charging ;)
    Edited by Rune_Relic on November 29, 2016 9:54AM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, TeamSpeak is "too much". Discord is simple, focused, have a task to do and does if pretty well. And funny, I love funny messages here and there XD

I can't say how stable it because the highest number of people in the same room I've got so far was 5 or 6.
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose if it's just about talking with your current group on the fly, both will do the trick. But if you want to create a "home" for guildies and friends where people can meet freely, reliably and securely, with tons of attached features, them TeamSpeak is the way to go.

Also remember that whenever something is free, there has to be something somewhere that provides an income. The company has to make money. TeamSpeak makes money with professional server providers and companies. Ubuntu makes money with donations and customer service for companies. FaceBook makes money with advertising and selling our profiles. What does Discord make money with ?

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on November 29, 2016 10:27AM
  • Jammy_Dodger
    Jammy_Dodger
    ✭✭
    Neither Mumble is 1000s of times better as it is open source, uses less resources and generally most servers have better audio codecs.

However Discord as a gaming mobile messenger client works quite well and allows you to chat with your guild whilst at work which is cool.
    Edited by Jammy_Dodger on November 29, 2016 10:28AM
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have and use both.

But I prefer Discord, it has better role management and you can use it as a community hub for your gaming community.
    And any issues I've had with Discord they have mostly been user error.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Discord is for people that have no clue how to work with server software. It works sure, but teamspeak is so much better. The backend, the rights management, encryption, queryconnections, decent bot support (not that *** stuff discord does).

To set up a decent teamspeak server one needs time and knowledge. Any noob can set up discord.

Oh and those who say "but discord is free". Nonsense in two ways. One you can just apply for a nonprofit license at teamspeak. Second discords privacy policy is terrible, that is how you pay for this "free" service. If you really think this software is free without any hidden traps you're terribly naive.

Discord is terrible. The clients are unstable, the browser interface was probably programmed by a monkey, because boy is it terrible. And seriously, why the hell would I want my browser open during gaming? It just sits there eating my ram.

Discord is for people with no knowledge about software, servers and IT in general. Which is good for them I guess, but when it comes to software quality teamspeak wins the race clearly. Just because people have no clue how to properly setup teamspeak, or don't know you can get free teamspeak if you just apply for an NPL doesn't mean discord is better.

We all know why discord is popular in some places. It doesn't cost anything. No money, no knowledge, no effort

But like someone said earlier. Teamspeak is incredibly complex compared to discord which is really simple. If that is what you seek, go for it. It will however, never be better than a decent teamspeak server.
    Edited by Woeler on November 29, 2016 10:57AM
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh yeah... discord is more user friendly so you dont have to be an IT guru to use it properly
    :smiley:
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »
    oh yeah... discord is more user friendly so you dont have to be an IT guru to use it properly
    :smiley:

Administrator is not the same as a user. I guess you use discord.