Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Too much penetration

Matt45045
Matt45045
Is there a way to see how much armor an enemy actually as? I know penetration over an enemy's armor is wasted and trash mobs don't have much to begin with. I have two sharpened daggers, one with a crusher enchantment, and a Night Mother's Gaze set. I'm also working on a Sunderflame. I'm thinking this is too much for trash mobs but was wondering if there is a way to see exactly how much armor a mob/boss has.
  • Matt45045
    Matt45045
    Also, if I added the Sunderflames to the Nightmother's Gaze, would this work well in PVP for Heavily armored opponents assuming they weren't blocking or using a damage shield?
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt45045 wrote: »
    Is there a way to see how much armor an enemy actually as? I know penetration over an enemy's armor is wasted and trash mobs don't have much to begin with. I have two sharpened daggers, one with a crusher enchantment, and a Night Mother's Gaze set. I'm also working on a Sunderflame. I'm thinking this is too much for trash mobs but was wondering if there is a way to see exactly how much armor a mob/boss has.

If using the new 2h ultimate (not sure which morph tho) that "steals" the enemies armorresistance and gives it to you, it´s possible to calculate the enemies resistance. But in general bosses in PvE have about 18-19k resistance.
  • DeanTheCat
    DeanTheCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I recall, an mob in a Dungeon has round 18k resists while opponents in PvP generally have round 20-25k resists due to the current heavy armour meta. Medium armour users have generally round 10-15k armour and Light armour users have generally round 8-14k armour.

5k armour is roughly round 8% mitigation, hardcapping at 50% at 32.5k armour. Do note however that damage shields cannot be critted and have zero armour, so all your penetration is wasted when facing against a shielded opponent in PvP.
    Dean the Cat
    Somewhat Insane Puddicat
    EU-PC Megaserver; Ebonheart Pact, Alliance Rank 34
    This one hails from far Singapore, excuse this one for his high pings. He also apologizes for any formatting/spelling errors, as he tends to answer using a mobile device.

Insanity is the price of Knowledge. Herma-Mora and Sheogorath, this one bows before thee.

This one does not advocate for any class to be nerfed. There are far deeper underlying issues then a simple "Class Imbalance". The Champion System is the problem. Not classes.

Please read this before creating yet another nerf thread.

My guides:
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Usually , at least in dungeons and trials , everything has 18200 armor . You can test it with the 2H ultimate if you want . Make sure you have 0 armor and no passives .
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trash mobs in dungeons have 18K armor but bosses can have more, up to 24K. I think that has been standardized in the last patch. So you can't overpenetrate unless maybe stacking Something like Kra'gh (1.9K), Spriggan (4K), Night Mother's Gaze set proc (2.6K), Major Fracture from puncture or noxious breath (5.2K), Crusher enchantment (0.9K), Roar of Alkosh set proc (3K) and sharpened weapons (5.2K). That would be a whooping 22.8K penetration. Spinner is pretty useless for PvE though and it's good only in PvP, since you won't have many of those buffs up, like you will probably have in a well tuned trial group.
    Edited by Asardes on October 31, 2016 3:32PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have more penetration than your targets armor, does that left over penetration count for extra damage?
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • cellobuddy
    cellobuddy
    ✭✭✭
    Lord_Wrath wrote: »
    If you have more penetration than your targets armor, does that left over penetration count for extra damage?

Nope. the mitigation multiplier for resistance just becomes 1 instead of something <1.
    PC NA
    Capped CP
    Breton Magsorc - Cellobuddy
    Argonian Magplar - Cellobuddyheals
    Altmer Magblade - Cellobuddysteals
    Dunmer MagDK - Cellobuddyburns
    Orsimer Stamsorc - Cellobuddyruns
    Redguard Stamplar - Cellobuddyjabs
    Khajiit StamDK - Cellobuddyslices
    Bosmer Stamblade - Cellobuddysnipes
    Altmer Magplar - Cellobuddybeams
    Nord DK - Cellobuddytanks
    Breton Magden - Cellobuddylistens
    Orsimer Stamden - Cellobuddyprotects
    Argonian Tankden - Cellobuddypaintswithwind

Not the best by any means, but I get the job done.
  • ArtOfShred
    ArtOfShred
    ✭✭✭
    9100 armor for mobs in overland/public dungeons/delves.
    18200 for dungeons, trials, and world bosses.
    Maelstrom Arena is the exception as far as I know, where armor values are variable.
  • Matt45045
    Matt45045
    I tested this this morning and ArtofShred is correct.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ec90782245ef667a7d90ffe18735806adf64925cf735e11fa803eacd104c5556.jpg
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over-penetration is next to impossible. In a perfect raid, you can do it some of the time with a very organized group.

The Sharpened trait is arguably the most OP thing in this game at the moment. If you are a DPS, there is no other trait worth considering, even in the perfect group.
  • Imhotep71
    Imhotep71
    ✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    ec90782245ef667a7d90ffe18735806adf64925cf735e11fa803eacd104c5556.jpg

Oh this thread really is asking for a Thats what she said comment.

No Im not all that mature. You play video games too so dont get all judgy
    Ever dance with the Devil in the pale moonlight?

• Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it bad that part of me was hoping that this was a troll post?

That being said, good info, thabjs for sharing