Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

VMA Final Boss

NinthPrince64
NinthPrince64
✭✭✭
I have gradually been making my way through VMA. I cleared stage 8 this weekend, but ran out of time when I got to the final round of Stage 9.
My strategy at that point was to drop AOE in the middle where the boss spawns, DPS him when he spawns, dodge (or block) his first attack, then bash him after he teleports, then go after the healer that (typically) spawns nearby.
My problem is that the CG spawns very quickly and I just get overwhelmed by the boss and the CG.
I have read a lot and watched a lot of vids, but there doesn't seem to be one consistent approach. Some say interrupt boss and then kill healer. Others say ignore boss and just focus on CG (I think there is a related assumption that healer will respawn so no point in killing it).
Looking at the kill feed, seems like ignoring everything else and focusing on the CG might be the way to go.
Can anyone offer me some insights as to how to get past those three and get upstairs?
BTW, using cookie cutter Stam Sorc build with perfectly fine armor (also around 500 cp). This is a LTP issue, not a gear/cp issue.
Edited by NinthPrince64 on October 24, 2016 1:24PM
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have been taking the defensive sigil after the boss teleports, which reflects his attack back at him whilst I kill the healer and the CG :blush: My magicka sorcerer is REALLY squishy and it makes the first part much easier, at least for me.
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I might regret it later in the fight if I took the defensive sigil early. Is that not a problem? I am happy to take any/all sigils. I just want to get a clear under my belt.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In general, I think most people's problems are not recognizing when to prioritze adds vs boss on this fight.

For first clears, I recommend focusing adds almost always, but watch boss to interrupt channeled machine gun and dodgeroll skull.

I tend to:
    1. DPS boss until healer spawns
    2. Interrupt boss
    3. Kill healer
    4. Kill crem guard while DOTing boss. (dodgeroll skull during this part)
    5. Finish boss to 70 to get upstairs--if a healer is spawning while he teleports, kill healer before Clannfear.

Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That is honestly the only one I use in there, right at the start. Once you get up top and finish that part, the whole thing is much easier from there, IMO at least :smile:

• khur
    khur
    The guard is going to come to you anyway so I stay on the boss till he arrives. Hurricane and hail usually push the boss to 70 while I'm killing the guard. When I get lucky the healer goes down at the same time (depends on teleport landing and dawn breaker) if no, healer dies after the clannfear. Dark exchange for stamina and then travel up.
  • Trashkan
    Trashkan
    ✭✭✭
    Healer is a waste of time unless you plan on destroying all 3 crystals your first time up. I kill boss and CG with ult drop and then ignore healer until I drop down to kill 2nd CG. The reason for this is a second healer will spawn if you kill first and if you don't kill healer on the second set you have to deal with the healer and the boss on the final boss phase.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I might regret it later in the fight if I took the defensive sigil early. Is that not a problem? I am happy to take any/all sigils. I just want to get a clear under my belt.

If you can avoid taking it, that allows you to grab it right AFTER you finish crystals up top, which allows it to do the same thing SadieJoan mentions (ignoring the boss's channeled machine gun).

I prefer taking it after crystals because it gives me more margin for error when sprinting after gold ghosts (when I drop after crystals I grab defensive sigil or bash boss, whichever is easier, then grab haste sigil to make mopping up ghosts even easier). And then hit all the other sigils whenever it's convenient--I don't go for leaderboard scores, as I typically break my runs up into 2 days.

Another thing you could try is using the Power sigil to kill the first crem guard--you don't really need it in phase 3, because you will have gold ghost stuns whenever there is a Cguard.

Another thing that can help is to save ult for the Cguard--especially if you can line up a dawnbreaker drop on the guard AND the boss.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've managed this first part of the boss several ways:
    • Best way is to grab the power sigil and burn him to 70% before the CG spawns. This may be tough to do if its you're first few runs, however, so don't feel like you have to do it like this.
    • Grab the power sigil but save your ultimate until the CG spawns and try to hit both the boss and the CG. AoE both down as you can (including the healer if shes nearby) but watch out for the boss's AoE.
    • Get far from the CG when it spawns and range him down. I did this on my MagSorc as I was having problems surviving.
    • I've tried killing the healer first but it never seems to work out very well. She doesn't do much damage/healing and can be ignored until the CG is dead and the boss is at 70%.

The "safe" option is the second one. The main danger here is focussing solely on the CG and forgetting about the boss's AoE, skull, or channel attacks (each of which I've managed to die to). If any vMA teaches you to keep track of multiple things at the same time.

If you need the defense sigil to survive then go ahead and use it but, like people have mentioned, it is very useful in the last phase of the boss fight so its good practice to leave it for then if you can.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    On my magsorc I do it as follows (I don't use a typical build for vma:5 elegance 5 aether and a vma sharpened lightning staff, strong damage, and infinite resources. BTW: you can use any sharpened lightning staff here). Keep harness magicka/ ward up all the time. Save all sigils for the second phase downstairs. Burn the boss as much as possible and keep liquid lightning and blockade up.

When he ports, follow him, bash interrupt and put aoes down again. Then aoe both of them down in one go and the boss will port up. Pull clannfear to portal, kill it. Port up, do the first one/two crystals with usual rotation then overload the last ones down. Don't move with the shield, move counterwise.

Downstairs, DIRECTLY take defensive sigil and switch to overload bar. Boss will dps himself while you take care of adds and Nr. One priority: ghosts. Get three and keep deeps with overload on boss. Stay close to boss, makes it easier to get the ghosts. You can take the power sigil here. Then Stun boss and nuke him with overload to death.

When You accidentally drop down, ignore the daedroth and only kill clannfear at portal (spam harness/ward to survive), then port up and destroy crystals.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭

• Grab the power sigil but save your ultimate until the CG spawns and try to hit both the boss and the CG. AoE both down as you can (including the healer if shes nearby) but watch out for the boss's AoE.

Do you grab the power sigil at the beginning of the round, or after the boss teleports the first time?
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For me, I grab defensive as soon as the fight starts. I kill healer whilst he does his thing, with DoT on him. I have defensive sigil on, so I just kill CG quick with whatever, then by that time, boss is pretty much ready to go up.

I do the top in one stage, I don't drop down, just nuke crystals as fast as possible. I then go down get ghosts and turn on overload and hit boss, CG and the summoner, by or before the next 3 ghosts, he is dead :smile:

I also don't use a typical build, my sorcerer is a pet build :lol:

• Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    The easiest, easiest way is below...

DPS Boss.

When healer spawns boss will teleport and begin using his windmill of death.

Grab the defensive sigil IGNORE BOSS.

Kill healer

You will have 3-4 seconds to continue dpsing boss.

CG spawns, kill and prepare to dodge roll the bosses skull of doom.

Back on boss, push to 75%.

This is the absolute easiest way to do it, suggested it to everyone who gets stuck here and it's a life saver honestly.

When you get really good, sure ignore the world. Boss goes up, stack clanfear, CG and healer on top of each other and aoe burn (yep it's fun nasty). lol
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭
    Lukums1 wrote: »
    The easiest, easiest way is below...

DPS Boss.

When healer spawns boss will teleport and begin using his windmill of death.

Grab the defensive sigil IGNORE BOSS.

Kill healer

You will have 3-4 seconds to continue dpsing boss.

CG spawns, kill and prepare to dodge roll the bosses skull of doom.

Back on boss, push to 75%.

This is the absolute easiest way to do it, suggested it to everyone who gets stuck here and it's a life saver honestly.

When you get really good, sure ignore the world. Boss goes up, stack clanfear, CG and healer on top of each other and aoe burn (yep it's fun nasty). lol

I will give it a try. Right now I am just waiting a bit (at stage 9) to finish so I can get 2x weapons (if I can make it through).
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mate, all the power to you honestly.

I would suggest everyone gets up to round 9 and waits haha.

But yes, this is what I did... and to be honest still do most times it's the easiest way to make 0 mistakes. If you handle it the same way and a way that works you'll be making less silly mistakes.

You handle boss by grabbing defensive sigil, you handle healer by dpsing the little amount of hp.

You can either go ham on boss or breath, buff up, shield/vigor and prepare for CG burn, guard then roll.
    Continue on boss.

Now I forgot to mention something very very important which kills alot of people.
    IF healer spawns after CG while you attempt to push to 70% YOU MUST get rid of him before going up or you'll have a pain in the pass hitting you for 7-9k when you finish the crystal phase but hopefully you can push to 70% before that happens.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If sorc then liquid lightening and wall of elements in the middle as boss spawns, switch to overload and burn the boss to 70% before the healer spawns, then you don't have to deal with the 1st crem guard. You should kill the healer whatever because they survive the blast and will greet you as you come down from up top, and you don't need that. You kinda have to learn your own strat for the crem guards, there are several that work. You can circle them infront of the fire so it doesn't hit you but this is easier with major/minor expedition and you need to watch out for blue ghosts, you can weave a ward/heal in with your rotation, or you can just dps them down before they start to breath fire, with or without ult.
    PC | EU
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you grab the power sigil at the beginning of the round, or after the boss teleports the first time?

Usually I grab it right away as the fight starts. This gives me enough time with the sigil to DPS the boss to 70% and kill the Guard and healer. The benefit of grabbing it right away is if you can get the boss to 70% before the Guard spawns that makes one less Guard you have to deal with.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭

Usually I grab it right away as the fight starts. This gives me enough time with the sigil to DPS the boss to 70% and kill the Guard and healer. The benefit of grabbing it right away is if you can get the boss to 70% before the Guard spawns that makes one less Guard you have to deal with.

This is a misconception of YAY I'm in next round.

I promise you, you're better off battling the extra 10 seconds. To get power buff when you come back down after crystals.

There's no reason you can push by wall of element/liquid lightning/heavy crystal frags and if you really wanna switch overload 3 times and you should have it at 70%.

Keeping the power buff makes the last little (run around) a cake walk, without it a little more skill is involved.

My 2 cents.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    Try using absorption field for crem guards. Or dawn breaker and burn him fast.
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ryanborror wrote: »

That would work but overload > negate. The crem guards take 2-3 overload light attacks and you're still left with most of your ultimate.

Edit: unless you meant stam sorc in which case negate > overload.
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on November 7, 2016 11:58PM
    PC | EU
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    ryanborror wrote: »

His on SORC magicka.

I wouldn't be touching any other ultis than energy overload on round 9 at all.

If he does.

Power surge
    Boundless Storm
    Liquid Lightning
    Wall of elements

CG dies instantly. Then it's just a matter of ROLLING in the next 2-3 seconds when boss teleports. Very straight forward.
    With his 500 CP it SHOULD be a cake walk. But practice is everything.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭

But yes, this is what I did... and to be honest still do most times it's the easiest way to make 0 mistakes. If you handle it the same way and a way that works you'll be making less silly mistakes.

You handle boss by grabbing defensive sigil, you handle healer by dpsing the little amount of hp.

You can either go ham on boss or breath, buff up, shield/vigor and prepare for CG burn, guard then roll.
    Continue on boss.

Now I forgot to mention something very very important which kills alot of people.
    IF healer spawns after CG while you attempt to push to 70% YOU MUST get rid of him before going up or you'll have a pain in the pass hitting you for 7-9k when you finish the crystal phase but hopefully you can push to 70% before that happens.

Continue on boss.

Okay, so here is where I stand. It took me about an hour to get to final round of stage. I know that sounds bad, but it's better than the five it took me the first time.
    At the final round of Stage 9 I lay down my AOE in the middle. Grab the defensive sigil. I DPS the boss. The boss teleports. I run to the boss and interrupt. I then look for the healer and start DPSing. Usually I kill the healer as CG is approaching. I engage the CG. My problem is that I get knocked down by boss as I am kiting around the CG. Once I am down, the CG finishes me off.
    I am getting upstairs about 1/5 of the time. Haven't even destroyed a single crystal yet, but that will come.
    I just need help with getting upstairs more consistently. Am I supposed to be engaging the boss while engaging the CG? Do I follow the boss every time he teleports and interrupt him?
    Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭

Continue on boss.

Continue on boss.

Okay, so here is where I stand. It took me about an hour to get to final round of stage. I know that sounds bad, but it's better than the five it took me the first time.
    At the final round of Stage 9 I lay down my AOE in the middle. Grab the defensive sigil. I DPS the boss. The boss teleports. I run to the boss and interrupt. I then look for the healer and start DPSing. Usually I kill the healer as CG is approaching. I engage the CG. My problem is that I get knocked down by boss as I am kiting around the CG. Once I am down, the CG finishes me off.
    I am getting upstairs about 1/5 of the time. Haven't even destroyed a single crystal yet, but that will come.
    I just need help with getting upstairs more consistently. Am I supposed to be engaging the boss while engaging the CG? Do I follow the boss every time he teleports and interrupt him?

Ok I see the issue staight away!

Lay liquid lightning, lay elemental wall, dps on boss
    When boss teleports THEN grab defensive sigil
    IGNORE BOSS
    Kill Healer
    DPS boss or just drop liquid depending how fast you were to kill the healer
    Lay aoe's, power surge kill CG
    Burn boss to 70%

NEVER interupt boss at the start that's what defensive sigil is for, your only interupt on the last phase after crystals.

These are your issues.

1. you pop defensive sigil BEFORE he teleported which is incorrect
    2. you interupt boss on phase 1 incorrect
    3. you kite CG love of god don't kite it just aoe power surge and burn

Remember when CG spawns boss will either 1, teleport away OR if you run up real quick he will use his HUGE aoe use your best judgement.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭
    BTW, I am stam Sorc.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Continue on boss.

Continue on boss.

If you take the defensive sigil you're better off not interrupting the boss, he will dps himself if you just leave him channel. I would personally leave all sigils till I get back down from up top but that's preference; in theory it's possible without sigils so it shouldn't really matter when you take them. The speed sigil is definitely useful in the final phase for catching the gold ghosts though.

I don't know what class you are but I would suggest not kiting the crem guard around, his fire breath has a lot of range so kiting is ineffectual for the most part. I stand and face tank them as they stand in LL and WoE with force pulse waeves and power surge heals me from the crit ticks. Back when my dps wasn't as good I would slot ward on dps bar and just weave ward into rotation as I burn them down. If you don't have ward then you could have a hot ticking or weave an insta-heal in with dps rotation. I stand in a way that I can still see the boss behind the crem guard, you need to look out for the shot-put stance from the boss. Blocking the skull projectile works as well as dodging it.

You defo need to deal with CG as a priority though; they will die from the boss explosion that happens when you destroy the 3rd crystal, but if they breath on you before you port up top their dot will continue ticking on you until the boss explosion kills them, and that makes life hard.

Edit: don't be afraid to use ulti on the CG, it's not a waste; they totally warrant it if your base dps isn't quite enough.
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on November 8, 2016 3:10AM
    PC | EU
  • NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭
    BTW, I am stam Sorc.

Continue on boss.

Continue on boss.

IGNORE BOSS
    Kill Healer
    Burn boss to 70%

NEVER interupt boss at the start that's what defensive sigil is for, your only interupt on the last phase after crystals.

These are your issues.

Remember when CG spawns boss will either 1, teleport away OR if you run up real quick he will use his HUGE aoe use your best judgement.

Okay, thanks for the input. I will try to get back at it tomorrow. I know it probably doesn't seem like I made much headway, but I feel good about the progress. This has been a long learning experience for me.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, I am stam Sorc.

In that case your strat for the CG should be have at least 60% crit, stand your ground with eye on boss, pop vigor + crit surge, stack 2 dots on them (like arrow barrage/injection/hurricane) and then flurry, flurry, flurry, or whatevs your staple dps rotaion is. This should work assuming optimal gear/cp.
    PC | EU
  • NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭

One other thing. When I say i kite the CG, I mean that I run a tight circle around him. Is that not good. As stam sorc, is there something else I should be doing? Thx.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    BTW, I am stam Sorc.

Continue on boss.

Continue on boss.

IGNORE BOSS
    Kill Healer
    Burn boss to 70%

These are your issues.

Okay, thanks for the input. I will try to get back at it tomorrow. I know it probably doesn't seem like I made much headway, but I feel good about the progress. This has been a long learning experience for me.

No worries.

It's the same for STAM - kinda... as STAM I can push the entire phase to 70% before anything even happens generally. But that's a different story from an experienced player.

As STAM.

Same rules apply, rearming trap, poison, hail, caltrops if you have them, begin rapid strikes
    Boss, teleports, healer spawns defensive sigil.
    Take out healer
    Back on boss if CG Spawns on boss and you move up FAST lay down aoe and get ready to move out of AOE.
    Continue on CG and get ready for the dodge roll when boss teleports out.

That's all I can suggest mate.
    If you do that I swear you won't have any issues. Phasing.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

• Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This stam sorc is looking for answers too. Made my first attempt today. Got to final boss at least.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Icy, just do what I mentioned above.

Alternatively I'll record the fight tonight with (*** gear).

Just so everyone can see it done the way I described above.

The last fight is probably the easiest because everything happens the EXACT same way. You have no say where the boss is going so you don't have movement issues. It's more like foot awareness and dps check in certain situations.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion