Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Help me defeat The Drome of Toxic Shock

Acharnor
Acharnor
✭✭✭✭
(update - I have defeated Seht's Balcony and am now overwhelmed by Lamias)

I hate this ***! I finally decided to give Vet Maelstrom a go after reading about other's success and I just can't get past him. I am hoping for some tips and maybe a better idea of his mechanics. I get him about halfway down and often tend to die when I get stuck in the defiled grave, surrounded by angry Maxus clones and the swirling whirling exploding orb of death. I have been playing around with skills based on some information I have found online to get a better Magicka sustain but here I am.

I am a Magicka Templar with all gold light armour gear (5 Julianos and 3 Seducer) and use a Resto staff on one bar and Destro on the other. Have the max CPs available and I think 46 points in Magicka the rest in Health.

I feel like I should be able to get him - death always comes all at once!!!

Help!!

Edited by Acharnor on September 15, 2016 11:13AM
Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't really think there is anything special for this round, you just need to kill him faster. This is kind of a warm up round to be honest.
    PC/EU DC
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you want an in depth look though check this out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uS1YYuP3FDs

Good luck!
    Edited by Luigi_Vampa on August 30, 2016 12:02PM
    PC/EU DC
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thx Typhoios! Yea, I figure I am not killing fast enough.
  • Nidro
    Nidro
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck on round 5 where you'll meet Runa.

4488876837_8d3da2423a_z.jpg
    - Champion Rank 1080 -

Argonian Warden Tank - Never-Fights-Alone
    Highelf Sorcereress - Magicka DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Highelf Templar - Magicka DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Imperial Dragonknight - Tank - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Khajiit Nightblade - Stamina DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Redguard Templar - Stamina DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Darkelf Nightblade - Magicka DD - Voice of Reason
    Imperial Sorcerer - Stamina DD - The Flawless Conquerer
    Redguard Dragonknight - Stamina DD
    Argonian Templar - Healer - Heals-all-Allies -
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dear God - I had enough trouble with her on Normal back when I did that - but I'm bigger and stronger now! I knew I should not have read all the encouraging stories of people beating this thing - has given me strange notions of confidence.
  • TheDarkRuler
    TheDarkRuler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even want to give it a try anymore.
    I have done Veteran Maelstrom only two times by now.
    It was a horror experience, the reward was crap and i spent around 80 soul gems and 5000 gold for repairs.
    It really is a pity the gear u need for having optimized builds (see Maelstrom Overpowered Effect weapons) is bound on pickup and isn't on sale. I really would spend 500k for a maelstrom weapon but i don't like this "Play or don't be competitive to others".
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want to beat it at least once. It is expensive in repairs when you die like I do! It was funny - one reccomendation I saw online was to use a Maelstrom Resto staff for regen. I was like, but umm I can't beat it to get it - LOL. I'm going to keep tinkering and see if I can somehow make some headway with doing more dmg. It is overwhelming in there when all the Maxus clones gang up on you. That's why I cam to the Many here for their words of wisdom - maybe some advise will tip the scales.
    Edited by Acharnor on August 30, 2016 1:13PM
  • Nidro
    Nidro
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the thing with Maelstrom is.. Its all about practice mate.

im a kinda Newbie too in maelstrom as i started doing it regularly 1,5 weeks ago.

My first try took me 11 hours with my magicka nightblade. (Had to learn the mechanics, changed my abilities and tried things out that work better here and there.)
    I finally reached the last boss after about 11 hours and the 9th arena was a real pain in the *** for me... each 3rd magicka Detonation my game Client crashed >.< made it really hard to stay motivated. When i used my main attack and killed an enemy the screen froze for 1 sec which didn't make it easier honestly.

Well In the end i gave it up at the last boss due to a lack of concentration / willpower.

After few months i gave it a new try on another character and its a easy walk trough it now, even the harder rounds.
    Almost had a few no death runs already (2 deaths only in the complete walktrough) what gave me 530.000 Points in the end. It was awesome.

All start is hard mate, but u keep learning and keep getting better.
    My first run on that new character took me 1:37:XX

now im on 00:54:27 (after 15-20 runs)

Maelstrom is all about practice, trust me.

What i can clearly say as a general rule in this game that fits for MOST Content:

The more damage you got, the easier things become :-)

I dno what i can say about a Magicka Templar, im only playing a healer on that, as i hate templars. Their abilities are no fun to me.

but maybe try Twice-Born-Star + 1pc Molag Kena + head Torugs Pact + staff torugs pact+ swords torugs pact + willpower jewellry
    do not give any Points into health... u should reach about 16-18k (the more life u got the more u can survive, but remember... u lose dmg by putting more into health. More dmg makes things easier)

If you are on PS4 EU i can help you out with that TBC Set. just msg me in PSN (Nidro666)

Depending on ur race you should have 17-18k health with Tbc and torucs pact easily. and about 40k magicka.
    Maybe post a screenshot of your stats and i can tell you what you need to increase/decrease.

I hope this helps you out and do NOT give up too easy.
    Once you get the hang of it, its an easy walktough lmao.

Good luck.

Yours Nidro~~

- Champion Rank 1080 -

• Articulemort
    Articulemort
    ✭✭✭
    I saw you said you have 46 points into magicka, the rest is in health.

This might seem counterintuitive, but put more points into magicka, less into health. A higher max magicka will provide a higher dps. Yes, theoretically with less health you'll die quicker, but as a magicka templar you shouldn't have a problem keeping Hots up.

Also, I have no idea what your skills are but trying putting channeled focus or restoring focus on one of your bars to take less damage.

(Edited to fix some derp moments.)
    Edited by Articulemort on August 30, 2016 1:24PM
  • Meowmeow13
    Meowmeow13
    Soul Shriven
    First time I beat Maelstom it took 4 months and a lot of swearing so I wouldn't worry about finding it difficult. :)

One way to improve your dps is to put more attribute points in magicka but if it'll negatively affect your build then scrap that idea.

I found Maelstrom became a hell of a lot easier with DoTs (Damage over Time). If you are using a Destrostaff, have you tried Blockade of Elements (Second Destro Skill morph) and Impulse/Elemental ring (Final Destro staff skill) to quickly AoE down Maxus' clones? :)

EDIT: I should add I can now happily do a Maelstrom run in under 2 hours and quite often do a few runs a week. So not a case of "I beat it once and will never ever do it again! \o/" ^_^
    Edited by Meowmeow13 on August 30, 2016 1:44PM
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the tips everyone - I have contemplated the attributes on him in the past and considered increasing the magicka for this purpose but I have not had a problem prior to this with getting the job done. I will definitely consider this. It is clear the mobs are living too long. I have made changes to skills and am using ones I am not used to so am getting familiar with new rotations than ones I have been running forever.

Ill look at the gear set up. If I went for TBS what Mundus are you reccommending? I can build and enchant anything so not a problem there.

The first few stages have gotten very easy.
  • Nidro
    Nidro
    ✭✭✭
    Use Thief and Shadow as Mundus
    - Champion Rank 1080 -

• Nidro
    Nidro
    ✭✭✭
    Julianos compared to TBC is ALMOST the same in DPS BUT u get 1k stam 1k health and 1k magicka from the 2-4 set Bonus.
    + Torugs pact gives u 1k health again so, you shoulld really have no Problems right there with health anymore and go for full Magicka in your attributes.

The only Thing you should worry about is your Sustain.. if you still dont kill stuff fast enough ur running out of ressources, but iits just practice, once u got ur Rotation right it shouldnt be a Problem anymore.

Julianos is usually better for Solo, TBC is better in groups as u got group buffs, etc that bosst your basic dmg
    - Champion Rank 1080 -

• Nidro
    Nidro
    ✭✭✭
    And by the way, try to use all legerndary gear - especially the wepoans! makes a really big difference :-)
    - Champion Rank 1080 -

• Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I started using Channelled focus that really helped my sustain and Harness Magicka. I am in all legendary right now - I cant pop for a full other set of legendary but could whip up puple pretty quick.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even want to give it a try anymore.
    I have done Veteran Maelstrom only two times by now.
    It was a horror experience, the reward was crap and i spent around 80 soul gems and 5000 gold for repairs.
    It really is a pity the gear u need for having optimized builds (see Maelstrom Overpowered Effect weapons) is bound on pickup and isn't on sale. I really would spend 500k for a maelstrom weapon but i don't like this "Play or don't be competitive to others".

If you could sell maelstrom weapons you can bet they would be more than 1 million easy especially for sharpened swords/staffs/2 hands or powered resto staff. 5kg isn't that much for repairs. And you don't have to use a single soul gem. Just wayfaring and run back it takes 10 seconds to run back in....
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea - I stopped using gems - wayshrine express for one please.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the best tips for that place is to try and keep constant pressure up on the boss. Try scooping up the defense or healing sigil when you start, thenlarging maybe at a lower health the haste or the power sigil.

If you're just looking for a clear like I was, grabbing sigils is a great way to help you along!

Another big tip: Don't stop moving. As a templar, you have access to a coal AoE that heals you, but at the same time this can make you complacent. Don't get cocky, strafe around Maxus. That will help you never get hit by his annoying orb, and you may even be able to kite the second or thirds melee adds he spawns.

Above all else, all I can say is PRACTICE. The more you do it, the more you learn about the fight. Check.your death recap, check your food, see why things fall apart.

Good luck, man!
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you're applying DoTs. You can't expect to sweep everything down. Vampires bane, elemental blockade, and blazing spear should all be laid down at spawn points. You can even add in rearming trap for the major force buff. Then go into sweeps spam. Refresh DoTs when they expire. In execute range forget DoTs and beam them down. Radiant glory can help keep you alive during execute phase.

Don't worry about the adds. Your AoE DoTs should take them out.

Use inner light on your bar and spell power pots.
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again - I have definitely been underutilizing AoE DoT.
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arghh - just not getting the job done. Might give up with my Templar for now and try my Sorc. I got ol Maxus down to under half a couple times but I am getting nuked all at once at times by the defiled grave, orb and maxus clones. I can't quite sort out what to do - I seem to be doing great and all of a sudden F'n dead - LOL.

Oh well - thanks for your help. I'll try again but need a break.

To those who run this thing on the daily I salute you.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can basically just sweep him to death, i did so in the beginning of vMSA, when fire-dots where bad for templars.
    Key is the positioning and your movement. try to poisition yourself in a way, you hit adds and boss.

i hope it helps, this video is ~10 months old, so DPS was a lot lower than now.
    Noobplar
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mate - I will watch.
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    You do insane DPS - or at least it looks like you do, screen a little fuzzy. You killed him before he even got out a second batch of Maxus clones. I suffer through waves and waves of them. I lay down DPS AoE and hit with the sweeps but them mainly seem to tickle him.
  • Nidro
    Nidro
    ✭✭✭
    which platform are you playing on acharnor? (PC/PS4/Xbox) EU/NA?
    im on PS4 EU
    maybe i can give you some ingame tips. we can meet up and we try to give u a better feeling for your rotation and stuff
    - Champion Rank 1080 -

• Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Acharnor wrote: »
    You do insane DPS - or at least it looks like you do, screen a little fuzzy. You killed him before he even got out a second batch of Maxus clones. I suffer through waves and waves of them. I lay down DPS AoE and hit with the sweeps but them mainly seem to tickle him.

that's only 18k DPS, without any dots and stuff, so nowhere near insane imo :)
    But i have maxed CP (501 in this video), which help a lot. Gear should be nearly the same, but i used DW on frontbar, but now i would use destro-mainbar, too (atleast in maelstrome).
    How many CP do you have and how did you distribute them (mainly the blue CP)?
    Noobplar
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taking him out in less than two teleports is he goal. If you can't, you'll have issues with DPS later on (round 5 and crem guards in round 9).
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am at max CP but would have to check on the distribution - maybe I should invest elsewhere?? I am in all gold light armour 5 Julianos and 3 Seducer (including the weapon). I threw on a Molag Kena Shoulder (light-gold that I borrowed from my sorc) but that did not make a difference. Someone else suggested a couple of pieces of Torugs Pact. I use a destro and resto staff on my two bars. I would love to up my DPS b/c as Average Jo said I am prob not going to get anywehere in here without it.

I am on PC by the way.
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also my crit rating is around 60% which goes up to about 70% when I cast reflective light.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have 92 CP in Ele-Expert, 70 in thaumaturge, 15 elfborn. Does it match yours?

some general tips:
    - keep your buffs and dots up 24/7
    - maybe get an addon like srendar to track your buffs
    - start finishing at ~35% (keep up dots), forget dots at ~25%
    - medium weave between all skills

I hope it helps you.
    Noobplar