Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Difficulty of collecting Dried/Tained Blood and Coarse/Fine Chalk

Yinmaigao
Yinmaigao
✭✭✭✭✭
I have been thinking about this for a few days and it has been bugging the heck out of me...

Does anyone else feel that the difficulty of collecting these style materials for the new motifs is being artificially manipulated to coerce more people into using the Crown Mimic Stones?

Please provide your thoughts!
Edited by Yinmaigao on June 17, 2016 11:25PM

Difficulty of collecting Dried/Tained Blood and Coarse/Fine Chalk 31 votes

Yes
67%
SirAndysoyhodonRudallookstwiceRitzey01kylerjalenYinmaigaocode65536xii-santaPink_ViolinzTheHeroQueenXerosusdavey1107MitsumiDenisgsvSolarCat02susmitdsFraggle2davidcombs7SlimWhitman 21 votes
No
19%
adarkartistSotha_SilkixsaxSleepyTrollInsomnia rexFerrumnCutem 6 votes
It is a matter of personal opinion
12%
BouldercleaveAdamskiAldersDracan_Fontomjeedrzej 4 votes
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tainted Blood only requires a murder spree. I haven't killed too many NPCs yet and I have a couple already. Polished Shilling on the other hand is stupid because apparently it requires you know at least 1 chapter of Abah's Watch Style to steal any from Guards...
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • Aetherderius
    Aetherderius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know ANY chapters of Abah's, and I can steal the shillings from guards. It's all random. My lack of chalk is kinda annoying though.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know ANY chapters of Abah's, and I can steal the shillings from guards. It's all random. My lack of chalk is kinda annoying though.

And yet I robbed dozens and didn't get one.
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • medusasfolly
    medusasfolly
    ✭✭✭
    I've gotten a fair amount of chalk from troves.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I know all but three Abah chapters. I've robbed about two dozen guards. Just one shilling. The drop rate is atrocious.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • FerrumnCutem
    FerrumnCutem
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    L2p
  • Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    The drop rate is very low apparently Good thing the outlaw set is still my favorite so i dont need them yet....lol

P.S. Anyone that says L2P is a complete moron! .
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found some Chalk, but it has all come from Thieves Troves.

Not into the whole murder thing, so no dried blood.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Insomnia rex
    Insomnia rex
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I think drop rates are just fine. Esp. since the trader prices are a mixture of drop rate and how much people actually buy. ATM i can't even sell tainted blood for 3k and its dropping every day, the shilling goes for 1k and fine chalk for 2k. My guess is that all three will get even lower with time, as there will be a steady inflow without much crafting going on. I think its very similar as we see with Malachit or the Dwemer frame; there is a bigger market for the motifs (as people want the achievement) than for the style materials, so even with very low drop rates they are incredibly cheap. It needs more for me to dust off my tin foil hat :) (PC EU)

Ninja Edit & TLDR: What i wanted say was that I would not see an item drop rate independent of its environment, here the ESO economy. If usage is much lower that overall drops, even those items will be broadly available.
    Edited by Insomnia rex on June 21, 2016 12:29PM
    CP630 AR20 PC EU, Alt Mag Sorc AD - Insomnicia Rex
  • KaylynT
    KaylynT
    How do you get Abah's chapters? I've found 2 chalk from a trove.
  • Aemon_Isklexi
    Aemon_Isklexi
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard the droprate on dried/tainted blood is improved with the number of assassin motifs your character knows. I can't really confirm if that's true. My main crafter has the whole assassin set learned now, and I didn't bother testing the drop rate before and after. Anecdotally, he seems to get dried blood at a steady pace as long as I make a point of killing people with the blade of woe.
    "I do not carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. ...The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think." ~Albert Einstein
  • Insomnia rex
    Insomnia rex
    ✭✭✭
    No
    KaylynT wrote: »
    How do you get Abah's chapters? I've found 2 chalk from a trove.

You get Abah's watch chapters, please correct me if I am wrong, only from large laundered shipments that you got from the tip board repeatable (highest reward tier -> three areas pickpocketing/ boxes). There is also a very small chance to get a legendary complete style book. I bought them somewhere between 30k to 50k (per chapter, PC EU) from guild vendors, but my feeling is that the prices are already dropping.
    I've heard the droprate on dried/tainted blood is improved with the number of assassin motifs your character knows. I can't really confirm if that's true. My main crafter has the whole assassin set learned now, and I didn't bother testing the drop rate before and after. Anecdotally, he seems to get dried blood at a steady pace as long as I make a point of killing people with the blade of woe.

From what I understand the chance increases with (I) DB Rank and (II) number of assassins motifs (similar to the mercenary motif), but I doubt that we will get any reliable numbers unless ZOS comments on this. I murder NPCs till I max out the fence every day (140 items) and I end up with one or two tainted blood per day (somewhere between 15 to 20 dried blood), with DB rank 12 and complete style. (2x pickpocketing -> executeloot).
    Edited by Insomnia rex on June 21, 2016 3:37PM
    CP630 AR20 PC EU, Alt Mag Sorc AD - Insomnicia Rex
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if that's the inspiration behind the drop rates, but I agree that they need to be improved. Especially chalk.
  • Brunoad
    Brunoad
    ✭✭✭
    Chalk drop rate is INSANE! I mean finding troves is hard enough, then IF you get chalk, which for me has been very rare, you get about 3 coarse and you need 10 to get 1 fine chalk to craft 1 item!! Something really wrong with this design!