Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Failing Maelstrom over and over

prax07
prax07
✭✭
Need help with this, I'm a vr5 vamp sorceror, using liquid lightning iv, unstable clannfear iv, force pulse iv, hardened ward iv, invigorating drain iv, devouring swarm iv. I can't survive standard maelstrom. I had been dying repeatedly on the flywheel level, now I can't get past the ice rink level. Something always knocks out the ice islands and I end up freezing to death. How do I beat this? Everyone says how basic it is to run this, I can't even do it once.

My current gear is
Rank 5 prismatic flamestaff
Rank 4 hat of baraha's curse
Rank 4 robe of juluanos
Rank 3 epaulets of bahraha's curse
Rank 4 sash of bahraha's curse
Rank 3 gloves of bahraha's curse
Rank 3 breeches of bahraha's curse
Rank 4 shoes of juluanos
Rank 2 necklace of the sun
Two low level rings of bahraha's curse
  • NativeJoe
    NativeJoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    prax07 wrote: »
    Need help with this, I'm a vr5 vamp sorceror, using liquid lightning iv, unstable clannfear iv, force pulse iv, hardened ward iv, invigorating drain iv, devouring swarm iv. I can't survive standard maelstrom. I had been dying repeatedly on the flywheel level, now I can't get past the ice rink level. Something always knocks out the ice islands and I end up freezing to death. How do I beat this? Everyone says how basic it is to run this, I can't even do it once.

My current gear is
    Rank 4 robe of juluanos
    Rank 4 shoes of juluanos

ummmm.... It prolly has to do with your skill set up. Look it up on youtube sir. :smiley: I'd explain it...but honestly it's easier if you just look at some skill bars on some videos and see what you need to do. Make sure the videos are veteran (if your going to slam you head against this dungeon, you might as well learn how to do it "right" the first time)
    650cp+ Sorcerer 100+ days /played
    Broken'Stick North American Server
    https://www.twitch.tv/trixytricks
  • prax07
    prax07
    ✭✭
    Ugh...I never use youtube...I like my skills though, and have about 100 gold currently so not able to reset right now if I wanted to.

Eh, nevermind, I'll do other stuff to lvl up.

Edited by prax07 on May 14, 2016 5:22AM
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the trolls spawn, kill them. You can see them smashing the islands, kill them before they do.
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Drop force pulse and switch it to crushing shock. It stuns the trolls. Seriously it's a poor sorc build though. Destined to fail. Look up deltias ignition sorc. It's pretty much the meta we all use. Explains it all there.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • prax07
    prax07
    ✭✭
    Been killing the trolls asap, but when the boss shows up at the end I must be not seeing one.

It might be a poor sorc build, but I'm pretty happy with it other than in maelstrom. If a build stops me from using my pets I don't want to use it. I made a sorc specifically because I want to use my summons, not copy a build everyone else copies.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That last boss destroys the platforms too after lowering his health to a certain percent.
  • prax07
    prax07
    ✭✭
    So if he destroys the little ice islands how do you stay alive? Soon as those islands vanish I freeze to death.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NativeJoe wrote: »

My current gear is
    Rank 4 robe of juluanos
    Rank 4 shoes of juluanos

ummmm.... It prolly has to do with your skill set up. Look it up on youtube sir. :smiley: I'd explain it...but honestly it's easier if you just look at some skill bars on some videos and see what you need to do. Make sure the videos are veteran (if your going to slam you head against this dungeon, you might as well learn how to do it "right" the first time)

Agree, youtube has the answers. This is a good sorc vid, I used it to learn and sort of copied his build. He just uses 1 ward, no streak and uses force pulse (although using this over crushing shock makes it much harder). The sorc in the vid uses maelstrom fire staff and wall of elements, you could replace WoE with streak and still do ok.

If you don't have kena you can run 5x julianos and 2-4x magnus, fire staff on front bar and dual wield on the back bar, the 2 swords making up the 4 piece magnus. This assumes you have willpower jewellery though.

Remember that hardy and elemental defender apply to your wards, so spend some cp there.
    PC | EU
  • prax07
    prax07
    ✭✭
    The only gear I have is the gear I listed, nothing else. Again, not intetested in changing my build, just on how to survive this ice round when the ice platforms vanish and I insta-die.

Edited by prax07 on May 15, 2016 4:07AM
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only gear I have is the gear I listed, nothing else. Again, not intetested in changing my build, just on how to survive this ice round.

The vid I linked shows you how to do everything in vMA perfectly. Admittedly he has the luxury of out-dpsing some mechanics, but there is still stuff you might learn. Increasing your dps might involve changing your gear.

Surviving the ice stage is mostly about interrupting the smashy trolls, prioritising bow users and running to the next island when the last boss emmits a red pulse. Not sure about regular MA but in vet if you let one of the smashy trolls destroy an island in the last round you've lost.
    PC | EU
  • NativeJoe
    NativeJoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @prax07
    Personally I wouldn't even do round 5 without a pet sir :wink:

You can do it just fine, I sugguest volitile familar tho...it stuns them and is extremly useful with dealing with the massive amounts of mobs up to the last boss... as for the last boss...

You know what? Why don't I just show you. brb...
    I'll do it on normal with a pet build like u said :smiley:
  • NativeJoe
    NativeJoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's my run I just did for you @prax07, using pets and whatnot. https://www.twitch.tv/trixytricks/v/66530109
    Thats my pvp pet build running it. skip around if u want...but I also talk about the dungeon in vet, go over some basic mechanics, and I think it would be helpful food for thought
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's my run I just did for you @prax07, using pets and whatnot. https://www.twitch.tv/trixytricks/v/66530109
    Thats my pvp pet build running it. skip around if u want...but I also talk about the dungeon in vet, go over some basic mechanics, and I think it would be helpful food for thought

Nice job man, talk about going the extra mile. Have an awesome.
    PC | EU
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't interrupt the trolls you will lose islands. In the boss round you cannot have this happen. Crushing shock will help. Healing ward or anything from resto staff if you don't have it will help survivability. Annulment from light armor tree. Drop the vampire skills. Run power surge and overload. Also Baharas curse can be a decent tanking set but it won't help your sustain it damage at all. If it's the only thing keeping you alive then keep it but I'd look into anything that gives you max magic/recovery and spell damage/crit.
    Each round has its own unique mechanics you have to learn. Watching videos helps a lot. They're basically like this:
    round 1- annoying red circle
    Round 2- spinning blades
    Round 3- annoying plants
    Round 4- sentry lightning robots
    Round 5- trolls
    Round 6- hoarvers, webspinners, spider swarm, mini spider thing that slows you
    Round 7- poison flowers/poison caster, taking aim, rng mess, boss enrage shield
    Round 8- totems, healers/inferno casters/ wrecking blow guys
    Round 9- golden ghosts, soul tether, crematoria guards, dremora summoning ritual, crystals

I'd recommend abandoning the quest getting new gear and starting over. It'll seem easier.
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • prax07
    prax07
    ✭✭

Thanks for taking the time to do all that, haven't had time yet though to sit and watch. I'm planning on watching it later this evening though.
  • prax07
    prax07
    ✭✭
    ryanborror wrote: »
    If you don't interrupt the trolls you will lose islands. In the boss round you cannot have this happen. Crushing shock will help. Healing ward or anything from resto staff if you don't have it will help survivability. Annulment from light armor tree. Drop the vampire skills. Run power surge and overload. Also Baharas curse can be a decent tanking set but it won't help your sustain it damage at all. If it's the only thing keeping you alive then keep it but I'd look into anything that gives you max magic/recovery and spell damage/crit.
    Each round has its own unique mechanics you have to learn. Watching videos helps a lot. They're basically like this:
    round 1- annoying red circle
    Round 2- spinning blades
    Round 3- annoying plants
    Round 4- sentry lightning robots
    Round 5- trolls
    Round 6- hoarvers, webspinners, spider swarm, mini spider thing that slows you
    Round 7- poison flowers/poison caster, taking aim, rng mess, boss enrage shield
    Round 8- totems, healers/inferno casters/ wrecking blow guys
    Round 9- golden ghosts, soul tether, crematoria guards, dremora summoning ritual, crystals

I'd recommend abandoning the quest getting new gear and starting over. It'll seem easier.

Thing is where do I get gear with no gold? I play solo, no friends that play this, and am just trying to grind vr as fast as I can before the DB changes hit. All my gold goes to maintain my current gear it seems like. The few items on guild vendors is usually just green necromancer, green sun, or green julianos items, and all cost more gold for one piece than I ever seem to have.
  • heyewe
    heyewe
    ✭✭✭
    If you have the Thieves Guild DLC you can literally steal/pickpocket all day!..taking quests from the 'Tip Board' and then, fencing those items. You can also get decent gold doing the daily quests in the villages of Cyrodil. (Bruma, Cropsford, etc)

Lastly, there are amazing crafting guilds that take great pride in outfitting their warriors. I bet if you just connected with one..you'd make some new friends and get some help to escalate you getting some great gear.
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    What server do you play on?
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • prax07
    prax07
    ✭✭
    Xbox NA server
    Edited by prax07 on May 17, 2016 5:21AM
  • heyewe
    heyewe
    ✭✭✭
    Same ^ :)
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Why are you trying to grind vet ranks two weeks before they are removed? It's a waste of effort and time. If you're trying to maximize that one-time bonus of 2.5 CP per VR, don't bother: it's really not much of a bonus consider how cheap 2.5 CP is compared to a VR.

2) You have some serious L2P issues. Stop grinding. Play the game normally your first time through, because this is your opportunity to learn. What is the point of reaching endgame if you skip everything in between and reach the endgame in a woefully unprepared state?

3) If you do want to grind, the nMA grind is good only for the convenience of it being your own private instance and not having to share it with others. It's slower than other grinds. And it's much stingier than other grinds. If you never die, then you'll barely come out ahead at the end of each run gold-wise. If you die, then the repair costs stack up, and you lose gold per run. This is because the only loot in nMA is the chest at the end--the enemies don't drop gold or loot. Compare this with normal grinds where gold and loot drops are abundant and you can make tons of gold while grinding.

I don't mean to come across as being harsh, but you should not be grinding at all. It sounds like this is your very first playthrough of the game, in which case, you should play the game normally. Learn to play. Earn gold. Level your crafting (particularly provisioning--are you even running blue food?). CP and VR and endgame are meaningless if you are unprepared for them as a player.
    Edited by code65536 on May 17, 2016 12:14PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • prax07
    prax07
    ✭✭
    I said this in the news post on the DB changes post, I'm grinding like crazy because of the changes incoming. I want to have the same benefts vr16 players have when the change comes. Those 40 bonus cp, and all the cp point bonus. It's fine for vr16 guys to say that all those extra cp don't matter, because you're already going to be getting them. I won't, so to me it does matter.

I did play, using my build that I posted. Main story, done. Cadwell's silver/gold done. Thieves guild & Orsinium, done. Still only hit vr6 this morning. Moved into Rkindaleft, finally get my pace going but it's way too busy in there with everyone else grinding away. Need to find a place no one else is using.
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox NA server

Message me gt: dooderrr
    Edited by ryanborror on May 17, 2016 9:08PM
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My current gear is
    Rank 4 robe of juluanos
    Rank 4 shoes of juluanos

5x julianos, 3x willpower or magicka set jewellery with spell damage enchants, 1x kena, 2x torugs or 3x torugs if you cant get kena.

Bar 1: Destro
    Crystal frag
    Force pulse
    Hardened ward
    Bound aegis
    Inner light
    Meteor

Bar 2: resto
    Endless fury
    Healing ward
    Boundless storm
    Bound aegis
    Inner light
    Energy overload

Bar 3:
    Endless fury
    Critical surge
    Boundless storm
    Bound aegis
    Inner light

Champion points:
    Green: Magician, magic regen, rolldodge cost reduction
    Blue: elemental expert, critical damage and a few in spell penetration
    Red: hardy, elemental defendwr and bastion

• Akevoriath
    Akevoriath
    ✭✭✭
    I did Cadwells Silver & Gold and I got from V2 to v12-13, you can't just run through the main quests and ignore everything else if you want levels, you gotta do all the side quests in each zone, you get 150 - 300 gold for each one and it's more "fun" than grinding, try doing the Wrothgar Daily quests too, if you find a group each day you get about 16 k XP for each quest. You should only turn to grinding when you have exhausted all your other options, questing is a lot faster and a lot less boring in my opinion. Currently I'm V15 and if my internet doesn't keep crashing when I try to do the daily quests I should hit v16 after less than 20 days of questing.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Round 5 advice:

Do not be afraid to use sigils!

The sigil of Healing and the sigil of Speed can be used whenever you need them.

The sigil of Defense is best when Leimenids or Leimenid Oracles spawn. It reflects projectiles such as the kind they attack you with or those from Huntsman Chillbanes.

The sigil of Power will help a lot when the boss is on the final platform, as it is a DPS race.

Good luck!
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said this in the news post on the DB changes post, I'm grinding like crazy because of the changes incoming. I want to have the same benefts vr16 players have when the change comes. Those 40 bonus cp, and all the cp point bonus. It's fine for vr16 guys to say that all those extra cp don't matter, because you're already going to be getting them. I won't, so to me it does matter.

I did play, using my build that I posted. Main story, done. Cadwell's silver/gold done. Thieves guild & Orsinium, done. Still only hit vr6 this morning. Moved into Rkindaleft, finally get my pace going but it's way too busy in there with everyone else grinding away. Need to find a place no one else is using.

How is that even possible? I did main quest line and Orsinium, some TG and was V16 before I even saw Silver. And I am not ESO+.

And say you are V6 at DLC, you get what? 25 less CP bonus? I guarantee grinding those 25 CP will be HELLA LOT faster than 10 VR ranks.

Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • prax07
    prax07
    ✭✭
    emily3989 wrote: »

How is that even possible? I did main quest line and Orsinium, some TG and was V16 before I even saw Silver. And I am not ESO+.

And say you are V6 at DLC, you get what? 25 less CP bonus? I guarantee grinding those 25 CP will be HELLA LOT faster than 10 VR ranks.

Plus the bonus 40 cp I won't be getting. Again, sorry, if it's not important to you at vr16, or the other guys that are at vr16, then no idea why you guys commenting on something you don't care about?
    Edited by prax07 on May 19, 2016 5:22AM
  • Dracan_Fontom
    Dracan_Fontom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure it's set to normal?
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only gear I have is the gear I listed, nothing else. Again, not intetested in changing my build, just on how to survive this ice round when the ice platforms vanish and I insta-die.

If you want to run poor gear and poor skills accept you won't do it.

Don't be rude to people who are trying to help you though.

Your skills are wrong, your gear is useless. Change it or don't finish maelstrom. You are failing because you aren't putting out enough damage... See above.