The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Nirnhoned, Precise and Sharpened

• Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So on a heavy armor build for pvp..

Helm/ chest/ legs/ shield - nirnhoned
    Shoulder/ glove/ waist/ feet - impenetrable
    Sword - sharpened

Or am I missing something?

Obviously this is a bug change of current meta instead of running all impenetrable gear. This will take some hours of research before I craft my gear. Especially with the cost of Temps

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hutch679 wrote: »

Sword - sharpened

Obviously this is a bug change of current meta instead of running all impenetrable gear. This will take some hours of research before I craft my gear. Especially with the cost of Temps

Helm, chest, legs = reinforced
    All small pieces = impen/nirn

That was my understanding.
    With sharpened on enemies with armor but it's useless against shields.
    Edited by Minno on April 28, 2016 7:33PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Sword - sharpened

I still don't understand why reinforced over nirnhoned, when nirnhoned also gives spell resist. I get that reinforced will give more armor. But isn't the spell resist additional to the armor resist more beneficial? Or is reinforced better because it goes with the assumption that the majority of players will be stamina/physical damage based?
    Edited by Hutch679 on April 28, 2016 7:46PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sword - sharpened

I still don't understand why reinforced over nirnhoned, when nirnhoned also gives spell resist. I get that reinforced will give more armor. But isn't the spell resist additional to the armor resist more beneficial? Or is reinforced better because it goes with the assumption that the majority of players will be stamina/physical damage based?

Off top of my head it was looking at the numbers. They determined armor below 1800 on a single item gave more spell/armor than reinforced does. This is because nirn only changes for that item.

Therefore nirn works on small armor pieces and the shield.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Ajax_22
    Ajax_22
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sword - sharpened

Reinforced gives you armor which gives physical and spell resist in equal measure. You end up getting more resist from reinforced on big heavy pieces, but nirn will give more resist on everything else.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajax_22 wrote: »

Sword - sharpened

Reinforced gives you armor which gives physical and spell resist in equal measure. You end up getting more resist from reinforced on big heavy pieces, but nirn will give more resist on everything else.

This is a better explanation than mine!
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajax_22 wrote: »

Sword - sharpened

This is a better explanation than mine!

Thank you both for clarifying. I think I'm am understanding the big picture now. For me, I'm going to end up with reinforced on chest/legs/helm and impenetrable everything else. Gonna try to keep the magicka Dk going with heavy armor lol. Pray for me... Haha
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    So did this buff to Sharpened just make resistance even more obsolete than it was, particularly in PVP?

I agree with the move to make it a flat value, but it is a BIG value.

At 5.1k armor penetration, that is equivalent to 15% penetration against Heavy Armor targets at the 33,150.

Magicka users using Major Breach, 5.1K Sharpened Weapon, 4884 Penetration from "Concentration Passive, 10% Penetration from Destro Passives....

You can have 15K resist in Cyrodiil reduced to nothing.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hutch679 Impenetrable is better than Reinforced/Nirnhoned on the PTS and on Live. Refer to my response to @flguy147ub17_ESO in http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2918905/#Comment_2918905

@MrTarkanian48 yes on the PTS it is quite easy to penetrate 16-17k resistance with Major Breach.
    Reference for any calculation I make Introduction to PvE Damage Calculation
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asayre wrote: »
    @Hutch679 Impenetrable is better than Reinforced/Nirnhoned on the PTS and on Live. Refer to my response to @flguy147ub17_ESO in http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2918905/#Comment_2918905

@MrTarkanian48 yes on the PTS it is quite easy to penetrate 16-17k resistance with Major Breach.

I wonder if you're taking into account the periods of time you block?

No critical hits occur during that time, so raw mitigation is better for that.

It is a bit more complicated due to that I believe.

Also, doesn't base mitigation increase critical mitigation as well?

E.g. you get 1% base mitigation from Reinforced & opponent crits with a 180% modifier, so you end up reducing 1.8% of dmg.

idk, just asking because your graph had critical chance & base mitigation as the only factors :P
    Edited by DDuke on April 28, 2016 9:55PM
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DDuke you can crit while your target is blocking
    e4d6b58a902e5d4ec248875af9ab3a3f.png
    I've taken into account base mitigation increasing critical mitigation as well
  • NateAssassin
    NateAssassin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the vr16 Precise Torug's sword I made by accident wasn't a complete waste after all, but those legendary Nirn swords are now complete garbage. gg zos
    AD | Malaya the Mystic ─ VR16 Khajiit Sorc | Shal'ina the Swift ─ VR16 Khajiit NB | Jòhn Cena ─ VR1 Khajiit NB | Priestess Shaari ─ VR1 Temp
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @DDuke you can crit while your target is blocking
    e4d6b58a902e5d4ec248875af9ab3a3f.png
    I've taken into account base mitigation increasing critical mitigation as well

Oh, when did that change?

Well, I'll take your word (and picture) for it :D

Kinda boring though, impenetrable impenetrable impenetable on everything - oh well, time to craft new gear :s

So according to your math, impenetrable is better even on shield slot than nirnhoned (or reinforced in current patch)?
    Edited by DDuke on April 28, 2016 10:34PM
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know been that way ever since I started testing which was during the Imperial City PTS.

Yes, impenetrable on everything even with Shield Expert on a nirnhoned/reinforced shield
  • PlagueMonk
    PlagueMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I FULLY admit that my eyes glazed over trying to read the OP and that I skipped to the end for the cliff notes :)

Your vastly superior computing/analyzing skills have me believing whatever you say must be right.

So when I need to craft a new set of equipment can I just send you my character/skills and you can just tell me what will be best? :smiley:
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Alcast wrote: »
    Yes it changes if you are using Warhorn, Minor Breach and Roar of Alkosh. But then again don't underestimate the sharpened plan with 66 in Elfborn since Major Force is multiplicative. I don't know if there is that much interest in a niche buff situation so I didn't write about it.

The Problem with Elfborn is that it only increases the crit damage modifier and not the whole damage part. So I always focus on Elemental expert and Thaumaturge for templar and I only put like 10 points into elfborn.

Or do you think with 3-4 Warhorns up in Trials Elfborn would outdo Thaumaturge?

The preferred distribution for a magicka templar is 73 ele 18 elfborn 3 spell erosion 73 thaum. Are you suggesting to take points out of Elfborn for a diminishing returns boost from Ele and Thaum? I don't advise this...

I have
    65 into thaum
    92 into ele expert
    10 into Elfborn

I mean, it is almost close to the prefered setup. Yet I do have high crit damage build so maybe I should put more points into Elfborn.
    I am not saying that this setup is superior. I just do get good dps with it,maybe I can improve with tweaking CP more.
    Edited by Alcast on April 29, 2016 10:07AM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it changes if you are using Warhorn, Minor Breach and Roar of Alkosh. But then again don't underestimate the sharpened plan with 66 in Elfborn since Major Force is multiplicative. I don't know if there is that much interest in a niche buff situation so I didn't write about it.

The Problem with Elfborn is that it only increases the crit damage modifier and not the whole damage part. So I always focus on Elemental expert and Thaumaturge for templar and I only put like 10 points into elfborn.

Or do you think with 3-4 Warhorns up in Trials Elfborn would outdo Thaumaturge?

The preferred distribution for a magicka templar is 73 ele 18 elfborn 3 spell erosion 73 thaum. Are you suggesting to take points out of Elfborn for a diminishing returns boost from Ele and Thaum? I don't advise this...

I have
    65 into thaum
    92 into ele expert
    10 into Elfborn

I mean, it is almost close to the prefered setup. Yet I do have high crit damage build so maybe I should put more points into Elfborn.
    I am not saying that this setup is superior. I just do get good dps with it,maybe I can improve with tweaking CP more.
    have you tried the 73/73? The main reason to do 73/73 is because your whole rotation is DoT. I'd agree with Nos I don't advise going against that.
    I do believe the CP layout changes slightly if you have all buffs up alkosh etc etc but I wouldnt rely on that uptime to change your cp for it. I think going with 3 ele 18 elfborn 3 spell erosion 73 thaum is the best for templars

DPS isn't always correct on a parse to show which is better from your ftc reports :P a whole lot more goes into it, and a lot of rng can happen in game, but to get the most consistent I'd say that CP layout is just op
    Edited by Nifty2g on April 29, 2016 10:12AM
    #MOREORBS
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sword - sharpened

For a heavy armor blockcaster

Large: 4x Infused prismatic. including shield (literally 2000 added stat points from 4 pieces)
    Smalls: 4x Sturdy (seriously, you gotta make up for the lost of block cost)
    Weapon: Sharpened on damage bar, weighted on recovery/defense bar, especially if resto channelling for ulti/resources.

Impen is absolutely trash since youll be running harness full time. Increased armor (reinforced) is completely unnecessary. Buffed with any armor buff youll be at 25-30k already, and if breton youd be at cap for spell.
    Edited by Rylana on April 29, 2016 10:28AM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at 2500 crit resistance now so maybe I won't be switching in that aspect then.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey great Lord @Asayre, do you have any numbers on the spell damage increase from the enchant- would it be worth replacing say a fire enchant on a staff?
  • zerosingularity
    zerosingularity
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about when dual wielding, with 1 hand Nirnhoned (since main hand gives more weapon/spellpower) and 1 Sharpened?
    Edited by zerosingularity on April 30, 2016 5:30AM
    NA-PC

Kaineth - Stamina Nightblade (Weakest Player Ever!)
    Elena Stormwood - Magicka Sorcerer (vMA no Death 12/21/15 Score 401148)
    Sheila Feyrondas - Magicka Dragonknight Tank (Frost staves are gonna be fun!)

*Disclaimer* I fail at emotional communication, so assume what I say is NOT meant to be offensive.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can anybody recap waht weapon trait is best in PvP for heavy armor user with s&b?
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lightspeedflashb14_ESO, yes a weapon damage enchant (which also gives spell damage) is preferred over a flame enchant

@zerosingularity, you can do that if you want to save a bit of money and want to avoid over mitigation. But a Precise and Sharpened sword would be preferred if your concern is only about the latter.

@Cinbri it depends on what you think is the main problem in PvP. Take Nirnhorned for a constant 3% damage against everything or Sharpened for 11% when their shields are down.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Asayre - slightly OT, but I'm theorycrafting a fire DoT templar build with Valkyn Skoria/Elfbane. How would I go about assessing the DoT from DW axes versus the extra damage from swords?
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NBrookus, you can create a simulation to determine uptime of DoT or use a combat log to determine the DPS contribution of the DoT.

In the example below, the DoT from axes contributes 12% of my total DPS so is better than dual wielding swords which increases DPS by 5%. Technically you should normalized your damage to damage from everything but the axe DoT which would show that the axe DoT is actually 13.6%

bb5346b42d075a8b7dc80e3f48868f90.png
    Edited by Asayre on April 30, 2016 7:34PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @Asayre, will give it a try. I never have found that old man test dummy but I need to.

Hmmm... I'm not even sure the axe bleed will proc with magicka attacks. I'd better test that first!
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NBrookus, he's gone on the PTS :( I went to the first boss on normal spindle. I don't think it works with magicka attacks.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Asayre I just crafted some garbage white axes and tested it on my sorc. It does not proc the bleed DoT with crystal frags.

Alas.
  • mistermutiny89
    mistermutiny89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been doing testing on the LIVE server.

With a precise staff... I put points 30/30 spell erosion and elfborn. The all into elfborn and got the below.

My buffed Swallow Soul was doing 13-14k on a Wrothgar mammoth.
    I'd go into a vet dungeon and my swallow soul would only do 10-11k on all mobs and bosses.

I changed to a nirnhoned staff .... Moved all the points into elfborn,

I got 14-15k on the mammoth
    And 13-14k on the vet dungeons ads and mobs.

So yes... Spell Penetration on the weapons and high crit damage from champion points is a must in PVE.

Not trying to repeat you but reaffirming your math with my own testing.

Next test will be with the spell damage buff weapon glyphs and the penetrating glyphs.
    Edited by mistermutiny89 on May 9, 2016 5:20PM
    Guild Leader : Defenders Of Miley
    XB1 EU
    EP | VR16 Breton NB -mistermutiny
    AD | VR16 Dunmer DK - Grigori
    AD | VR16 Altmer Sorcerer - Isvoleet
    AD | VR16 Imperial DK - Leonidas
    AD | VR16 Bosmer NB - Hood
    AD | VR16 Breton Templar - Dante
    AD | VR16 Redguard Sorcerer - Raiden
    AD | VR7 Khajiit Templar - Ike'ilyew
    DC | 160 Breton NB - Vergil

"Hmmm... Very convincing.. Does the illusion apply to.. Everywhere? Perhaps this one should have a moment alone in private to double check" - Razum'Dar
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Asayre
    What to you think of the combination Torug's pactx5 + infused weapon as it has been hinted at in some other thread.?
    Compared to sharpen in a magical build. Will the spell power gain be of some advantage over It ?