Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

How do *you* measure success in PvP

Crown
Crown
✭✭✭✭✭
We can all agree that the AP system is flawed for a measurement of success. My calculations for AP earnings spreadsheet has been updated here: https://goo.gl/Ea7Qe3 for those who would like to see real numbers. The most AP goes to the player(s) who get the most damage on opposing players who are killed, regardless of who does the killing. Some AP goes to players who heal other players who make AP when the damage that they took was during combat and from an opposing player.

For example:
  • If you throw a caltrops on an opposing group as other people kill them, you'll get a tiny amount of AP.
  • If you spam healing HoTs on a friendly group while they kill opponents, provided that they've taken damage that you've healed you'll get a small amount of AP.
  • If you throw out inevitable detonations and other large AoE on opponents while other people kill them, you'll get a medium amount of AP.
  • If you put down siege and hit opponents while other people kill them, you'll get a medium about of AP.
  • If you do 50% of the damage to an opponent and said opponent dies, you'll get 50% of the AP from the kill.

If your goal is to make AP, get high on the leader boards for gold rewards, and/or get emperor, then there are strategies for making the most AP in the least amount of time. I expect that we'll see a lot of AP farming in the first few days of the patch by people who want the new reward mail sets (Vicious Death anyone?). We'll also see quite a few people vying for top 2% of their faction, in the hopes of getting some gold jewellery at the end of the month in reward mails. I myself am hoping to get top 2% on two different toons for even more chance, though we'll see if my work schedule allows me to do so.

To me overall, the leader board is irrelevant as a measure of success. The top of the leader board are the players with the most time, or the most efficient AP farming methods. AP farming is a skill, separate from ganking, solo, duo, small group, or large group play skills. It's nice to see your name on the board, but ultimately it's the top 2% (somewhere between 40 and 90 players) who get gold rewards so the difference between #2 and #50 after the campaign ends is absolutely nothing. My subjective evaluation of success is based on the below, and keep in mind that since achieving AR50 I am much less AP focused.
  • While farming AP solo or duo, I keep track of both number of kills and AP gained per time period. If my/our performance is within 20% of my historical average, then I consider it a successful session.
  • When in a solid guild group, I look at fights versus similarly skilled opponents and count the wins vs losses. If we lost 10 out of our 12 members then that's a loss - even if the opponents move off and we rez up to try again. I also look at AP made per hour, though that's of lesser significance unless our goal is AP farming.
  • When in a large social group (drunk raid nights), the kills / AP of the group is irrelevant as it's the social fun that makes the night a success.

There are many different ways to look at success. What's yours?
Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
  • bikerangelo
    bikerangelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not dying every 30 seconds.
    Having a higher kill/death ratio.

It's hard to measure "success" if the unit of measurement is AP, I agree. I'd much rather have an enjoyable pvp experience and call that a success over following a full raid spamming Mutagen for the AP gains.
    Options
  • Rva_Kun
    Rva_Kun
    ✭✭✭
    Not dying every 30 seconds.
    Having a higher kill/death ratio.

It's hard to measure "success" if the unit of measurement is AP, I agree. I'd much rather have an enjoyable pvp experience and call that a success over following a full raid spamming Mutagen for the AP gains.

But spamming Mutagen is so fun
    Actions Speak Louder Than Words.
    Fear Over The Internet = Priceless.
    Correcting Ego's Since 03'
    NA > EU

Options
  • GRxKnight
    GRxKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Individual KDR and amount of times opposing groups are wiped/beaten vs us being wiped/beaten
    Edited by GRxKnight on March 7, 2016 4:46PM
    Member of Victorem, RÁGE ; Decibel Alumni (RIP)

Kalista Schefer: VR16 AD Sorcerer; Alliance Rank 22

Noxus-Katarina: VR16 AD NB; Alliance Rank 30

Grxknight: VR16 AD DK; Alliance Rank 16

Lorelie Aedel: VR16 AD Templar; Alliance Rank 8
    Options
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
    Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Playing PvP is successful when I have fun. And for that I need to contribute a meaningful amount to my group by skillful play (as in, idc wether my group wins fights because I reduce damage through AoE caps or just spam a few skills), and fight fights that are not too laggy or stacked in my favour. If I don't win a lot I at least need to learn from it to see it as successful, and if the fights are too easy I won't be satisfied as well.
    If my build is vastly inferior to another that I know I can do better with, I'll wish to switch, though if the gameplay would be to easy on the more powerful build that won't satisfy me either (plus after months of playing the same I'll switch to another class for a while because it becomes boring).

AP and any kind of character progression are completely irrelevant for me except I'll want to be on equal footing with my opponents.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also: success measured in increments of "fun".

Nothing will ever beat "Friday night drunk raids" with friends or that feeling you get when you and a fellow friend try to solo a reinforment lane.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Millerman34n
    Millerman34n
    ✭✭✭
    Ways to measure your skill and success if the answers to these questions are no than you are successful at pvp in the elders scrolls online!

1) Have you been 1vx ed before? For example has one person ever killed you by them selfs when you were in a group of 10 plus?
    2) Have you ever been emporer and if so have you ever been beaten in a 1v1 or 1v2 as emorer?
    3) Have you ever taken a group of 10 plus out by your self?
    4) When you duel to you win 70% to 80% of your duels at least?
    5) Do you abuse broken mechanics and brag about it ex reverb bash spam or cammo hunter?

If you check out with all of those things than you are a successful pvp player in my opinion!
    Edited by Millerman34n on March 7, 2016 5:22PM
    Options
  • GRxKnight
    GRxKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ways to measure your skill and success if the answers to these questions are no than you are successful at pvp in the elders scrolls online!

1) Have you been 1vx ed before? For example has one person ever killed you by them selfs when you were in a group of 10 plus?
    2) Have you ever been emporer and if so have you ever been beaten in a 1v1 or 1v2 as emorer?
    3) Have you ever taken a group of 10 plus out by your self?
    4) When you duel to you win 70% to 80% of your duels at least?
    5) Do you abuse broken mechanics and brag about it ex reverb bash spam or cammo hunter?

If you check out with all of those things than you are a successful pvp player in my opinion!

2 is impossible for a majority of people who work 40+ hours a week...i know quite a few who do this and are top tier pvp'ers

Unless this post is troll in which case pls ignore
    Edited by GRxKnight on March 7, 2016 5:54PM
    Member of Victorem, RÁGE ; Decibel Alumni (RIP)

Kalista Schefer: VR16 AD Sorcerer; Alliance Rank 22

Noxus-Katarina: VR16 AD NB; Alliance Rank 30

Grxknight: VR16 AD DK; Alliance Rank 16

Lorelie Aedel: VR16 AD Templar; Alliance Rank 8
    Options
  • KenaPKK
    KenaPKK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cyrodiil solo / small group play: kill people and don't die. One death allowed per 20 kills, although all deaths are mistakes. Any more deaths per kills than that, and I'm dissatisfied. Suicide proxy bombs are the exception. :lol: Outnumbered fights are expected and sought out. I also feel really good when I see myself contributing a tangible play that leads to a group winning a significant fight, often that goes unnoticed. For this reason, I hang out on the flanks and rear of enemy forces during sieges and largescale conflicts looking for ways to disrupt the enemy formation, kill siegers / burn siege, or cut off reinforcements. I also am often the first to bomb a keep inner, or zip upstairs to clear enemy oils. Survival is still required to call it a success.

Cyrodiil group play: winning fights against comparable group opponents or when outnumbered by pugs. Again, any death on my part is a mistake that dissatisfies me. Losing enough players from the group that we have to break off from the fight and either try to get resses or respawn is a group failure to be evaluated.

Imp City solo / small group play: winning all fights and banking tel var for myself or my group. Any death to a player where we lose 1k+ tel var is a failure where we were not paying attention to our surroundings. It was clearly lag, though. We must go back and take what is rightfully ours! :trollface:
    Edited by KenaPKK on March 7, 2016 6:19PM
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC original dueling and general PvP community guild
    Now the hub of competitive dueling and the joined PvP communities of NA and EU/PC

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
    Options
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    What about fishing?
    Edited by Alcast on March 7, 2016 6:19PM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown wrote: »
    How do *you* measure success in PvP
    Simple, ESO PvP success:

When after i log off, i think to myself "Self, that was fun!"
    cheer.gif

Edited by SirAndy on March 7, 2016 6:19PM
    Options
  • saiyan_84
    saiyan_84
    ✭✭✭
    kill to death ratio + kill to killing blow ratio

why was sarenvog banned ?haha
    The Kelly Gang

Saiyan AD DK
    Nayias AD Warden
    Options
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Options
  • catalyst10e
    catalyst10e
    ✭✭✭✭
    • How much participation I give to my group. (Am I fulfilling a role?, or would this all be the same if I was just standing there?)
    • How many times I survive. (Either by killing all the enemies or by escaping)
    • How much fun I'm having.
    As long as I got those 3 to measure success, it's good enough for me.
    "Why settle for just stabbing your foes when you can roast them alive in a gout of arcane fire?"
    [| DC Breton Sorcerer || NA PS4 || PSN: Catalyst10e |]
    [| DC Dunmer Dragon Knight |]
    Options
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    By how much of the ground is covered with Blue or Yellow bodies and by how many blue or yellow players are surrounding my group when/if we wipe.
    Edited by timidobserver on March 7, 2016 6:46PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

Options
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    For me, it's my team's success and how much fun we're having.

I don't care much about the map, nor AP (it feels both useless and demanding at the same time). What makes success is a combination of are we doing well (beating other small groups and/or fighting larger groups) and are we having fun (beating a 12 man with 6 isn't successful even if people are salty or unhappy).

K/D is childish to emphasize so heavily in my opinion, as is thinking that you should win every fight (there's almost always a bigger fish, especially for the groups I play in [3-6 man typically]). I have played a suboptimal class (mDK) for the challenge as well, since I think it shouldn't be about playing the most OP spec if you're not having fun.

My thoughts :smile:
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
    Options
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    @Crown cool spread on AP earned/hour.

Have you looked at all into diminishing AP value? I think it'd be easy to get 50k/hour consistently, if it wasn't for that aspect and players weren't in "farm" mode.
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
    Options
  • flying_ace2
    flying_ace2
    ✭✭
    Recently? I measure my PvP success by whether I can actually stay in game for longer than 5 minutes without getting kicked...... :/
    AD
    Just Chill
    Victorem (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Moonlight Crew (RIP)
    PC - NA
    El-phaba - Sorc
    Rammoth - NB
    Daenora - Temp
    Options
  • Lord-Stien
    Lord-Stien
    ✭✭✭
    A good way to measure success.

Are you getting a larger amount of Hate mail / death threats from the opposing faction?>

Butt Really.. death threats... when i start getting those .. i know for a fact made an effort theat night ..

And you would think.... After getting death threats.. an d those said players getting reported ... they would no longer be in the game ....

Sometimes the real enemy are the one who moderate it.

BannHammer

PVP Officer

Alliance Cord

When in doubt, frag out

Heart of Daggerfall-=Iron Legion=- Founding Member

The one and only LordSteindeath
    Options
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I measure my success in amount of enemies I successfully fill a soul gem with.
    Rhage Lionpride DC Stamina Templar
    K-Hole
    Options
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm a nightblade, my measure of success is to kill, kill alot.

For those of you who still don't know how NBs think : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1BxRNHVGpk

xD
    EU | PC
    Options
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enemy salt
    Options
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kill death ratio and how many players I can kill when 1vX
    Options
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play for fun and a shot of adrenaline. I have the most fun when I kill players under circumstances I consider to be in their favour, like when I'm outnumbered or part of a group that's outnumbered, or fighting against an enemy with campaign buffs etc. The best moments are when you think to yourself "omg I can't believe we just pulled that off". Essentially though if I'm playing and have to drag myself away to go to bed, instead of rage quit, then it was successful. If I finish a play session feeling like I played well then it was successful. Earning large chunks of ap is nice but not something I chase; I've pvp'd since shortly after launch but I'm only AR23.
    PC | EU
    Options
  • Lisbette
    Lisbette
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of hate tells I receive

-Tamerlin
    Options
  • JaJaLuka
    JaJaLuka
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only question that matters: did I have fun?

There are a few things that influence that, one being that I hate people I consider to have poor attitudes (no matter how insignificant the tells), and the second is that I like to be a part of good fights which sadly are harder to come by these days.
    Krojick, DC Sorc PC NA
    Milámber, EP Sorc PC NA
    Brunack, EP DK PC NA
    General Mark Shephard, EP Temp PC NA (Worst temp NA XD )
    Krojick Nightblade, DC NB PC NA
    Others...
    Options
  • PhatGrimReaper
    PhatGrimReaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the map is better or equal to when started on a competitive server and you made decent AP, Job Done!!
    Fat Grim Reaper - (m)Dragon Knight AR28
    F G R Junior - Templar AR26
    This One Had Name Changed - Nightblade AR19
    Fat Grim Streaker - Sorcerer AR15
    M12-GM - Guardians of the Twelve-GM - Crown Store Heroes - ETU
    RÀGE - R.I.P
    Options
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number one thing is fun with my friends, everything else is secondary.
    I am high enough most months to get gold rewards, that is good enough for me. I do well enough getting AP by playing the game and doing the objectives and supporting my faction with keep takes and defends, and other things.

One way I measure success in pvp is denying the enemy AP, from me or my friends or fellow faction mates. Farming is a two way street, and rarely do I donate AP, to the other side.
    Options
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I thought PvP was about taking keeps and stealing scrolls and have one of your team as an emperor.

My idea of success in PvP is when you successfully defended (with a team) a keep from enemy siege and take a (defended) enemy keep with a team. And when you team up to take an enemies scroll and have one of your top tier players crowned Emperor because he actually contributed in the 3-banner war.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
    Options
  • DKsUnite
    DKsUnite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the amount of clips I have for videos at the end of the night. If I didn't record that night, how pissed off am I when I log off.
    Vyr Cor | Magicka Dragonknight | DC
    Vir Cor | Stamina Dragonknight | DC

Latest Videos:
    Magicka Dragonknight: Vyr Cor | "A Dragon's Fury" | Magicka Dragonknight PvP
    Stamina Dragonknight: Vir Cor | "Heathen" | Stamina Dragonknight PvP

Youtube: CorGaming
    Options