Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

Why is the Bow Skill-Line for PvE completely useless? (Single Target)

• dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NativeJoe wrote: »
    I don't use bows...but in pvp I'm taking 14k focused aim shots to the knee....thats 28k pve damage.... I think thats perfectly decent dps lol...

from stealth, sustain wise it drops massivly
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

Options
  • EsoRecon
    EsoRecon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_KNowak wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the discussion on Bow PvE DPS. We agree that "pure" Bow PvE builds are parsing a little bit lower than we'd like in dungeon and trial encounters. We want to improve Bow's sustained damage without buffing its burst (especially from Crouch), and we targeted a change that will help out Bow builds without influencing the hybrid Dual Wield/Bow or Two Handed/Bow builds (which are already very competitive).

In the next PTS build, you should see following change to the Hawk Eye passive:

Old Hawkeye:
    Increases the damage of your Bow attacks by 8/15% when striking off balance enemies.

New Hawkeye:
    Your successful Light and Heavy Attacks increase the damage of all your Bow abilities by 2/5% for 4 seconds, stacking up to 3 times.

A standard Bow PvE DPS rotation should be able to generate and maintain Hawk Eye stacks throughout a boss encounter, and this keeps it out of reach of Crouch burst or hybrid builds who only use Bow to keep up Volley or Poison Injection.

Finally some good news next patch for my stamina NB that loves using bow... Haven't been able to use bow as main source of dps for months now.
    Xbox One [ NA ]
    Gamertag - Zyzz II Legacy
    Stam Sorc & Stam NB PvP
    (I'm Just Here To 1vX)
    Options
  • Animal_Mother
    Animal_Mother
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kaliki wrote: »
    @ZOS_KNowak: Additionally to the Hawk Eye passive change I think it would be great if you could fix Long Shots.

Tooltip says:
    WITH BOW EQUIPPED
    Gives you a damage bonus of up to 12% against enemies at longer range.

This bonus only applies to bow abilities though.
    If it applied to ranged class abilities it would maybe give players running a bow nice synergies (comparable to the crit or flat damage bonuses you get with dual wield or two handed) .

This would be a great idea and almost encourage hybrids again.

Thanks @ZOS_KNowak for the quick response.
    Options
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the discussion on Bow PvE DPS. We agree that "pure" Bow PvE builds are parsing a little bit lower than we'd like in dungeon and trial encounters. We want to improve Bow's sustained damage without buffing its burst (especially from Crouch), and we targeted a change that will help out Bow builds without influencing the hybrid Dual Wield/Bow or Two Handed/Bow builds (which are already very competitive).

Old Hawkeye:
    Increases the damage of your Bow attacks by 8/15% when striking off balance enemies.

New Hawkeye:
    Your successful Light and Heavy Attacks increase the damage of all your Bow abilities by 2/5% for 4 seconds, stacking up to 3 times.

A standard Bow PvE DPS rotation should be able to generate and maintain Hawk Eye stacks throughout a boss encounter, and this keeps it out of reach of Crouch burst or hybrid builds who only use Bow to keep up Volley or Poison Injection.

DKS indirect buff?

I mean with molten weapons morph that gives major brutality aside from heavy attacks....

edit: I'll test the changes against my ranged DW stamplar (javelin + silver shards + hidden blade)
    Edited by Xvorg on February 19, 2016 1:39AM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
    Options
  • Contraptions
    Contraptions
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the well thought out and explained change to the passive @ZOS_KNowak. Could we also possibly change the fire damage from the Scorched Earth morph of Volley to poison instead? This would allow the entire bow skill tree to be buffed using one Champion star, instead of the three types of damage we have now: physical, poison and fire.
    Patroller and Editor at UESP
    Options
  • Elijah_Crow
    Elijah_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

Old Hawkeye:

New Hawkeye:

@ZOS_KNowak

Thank you very much! Excellent change! Great responsiveness.
    Options
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use bows...but in pvp I'm taking 14k focused aim shots to the knee....thats 28k pve damage.... I think thats perfectly decent dps lol...

That's an initial attack from stealth. Concurrent snipes won't be anywhere near that, and after the first one you won't get hit by it again.. unless you just stand there.
    Options
  • Jeckll
    Jeckll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well the raw damage of the bow line is not the only issue. Dw and 2h use bow dots to compliment their dps rotation. But no other weapon can do the same for bow. Yeah, you can use them for execute and to improve your AoE dps, but single target it's still better to use a melee build with Volley and Poison Injection.

The whole issue for me is Snipe. In my book, bow is supposed to to be about mobility, yet the spam skill slows me down while casting. I literally have to interrupted my Snipe to avoid red circles from time to time.

But it's nice to see ZOS trying to fix it.
    Edited by Jeckll on February 19, 2016 1:28PM
    Jeckll has quit the game. Thanks for the great time.
    Options
  • Helluin
    Helluin
    ✭✭✭
    Jeckll wrote: »
    Well the raw damage of the bow line is not the only issue. Dw and 2h use bow dots to compliment their dps rotation. But no other weapon can do the same for bow. Yeah, you can use them for execute and to improve your AoE dps, but single target it's still better to use a melee build with Volley and Poison Injection.

The whole issue for me is Snipe. In my book, bow is supposed to to be about mobility, yet the spam skill slows me down while casting. I literally have to interrupted my Snipe to avoid red circles from time to time.

The new Hawk Eye passive will make pvp players really mad as they lose the additional damage when they use bombard VS groups.

But it's nice to see ZOS trying to fix it.

I agree on melee skill lines and mobility.

About the new Hawk Eye I really like it for PvE and small scale PvP, at least for the skills I use.
    Surely for Bombard is a big nerf instead.
    The old Hawk Eye was also good in synergy with other bow skills (Venom Arrow, Scatter Shot and morphs) and in PvP.

Maybe some tweaks (like increasing the duration from 4 seconds) can be better for PvE and PvP to avoid possible complaints.

P.s. @ZOS_KNowak
    about this issue with Scatter Shot - Magnum Shot, will we have any changement?
    Edited by Helluin on February 19, 2016 2:27PM
    "... and the blue fire of Helluin flickered in the mists above the borders of the world, in that hour the Children of the Earth awoke, the Firstborn of Ilúvatar."
    Options
  • Tower_Of_Shame
    Tower_Of_Shame
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

Old Hawkeye:

New Hawkeye:

hmmmmm finally i can make money out of my AP. hahhha
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Helluin wrote: »
    Thanks, kind regards!

P.s. In the name of Y'ffre, a tiny bonus to bow damage or ranged damage should be a must for Bosmer racial passives! ;)
    Bandaari are amazing with venoms, but archery is Bosmeri!

I would disagree with this. I don't think a single race should the "x weapon" race. We already see far too much "If you want to be x build you must be y class" having one fully focused in bonuses specific to a single weapon type wouldn't help the issue.

We already have the bonus XP for skill lines which are favoured by our races, I think that's enough.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative

it does not work that way brah. Pls show me 28k bow dps on Mantikora.
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

Options
  • Helluin
    Helluin
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Thanks, kind regards!

P.s. In the name of Y'ffre, a tiny bonus to bow damage or ranged damage should be a must for Bosmer racial passives! ;)
    Bandaari are amazing with venoms, but archery is Bosmeri!

I would disagree with this. I don't think a single race should the "x weapon" race. We already see far too much "If you want to be x build you must be y class" having one fully focused in bonuses specific to a single weapon type wouldn't help the issue.

We already have the bonus XP for skill lines which are favoured by our races, I think that's enough.

Orc has Swift Warrior that grants 4% increased damage with melee weapon attacks.
    That's why I wrote ranged attacks, that would be better than just bow so it can be good both for stamina and magicka.
    Lore wise it would make sense.
    We have just different opinions on this matter. :)
    Edited by Helluin on February 19, 2016 9:14AM
    "... and the blue fire of Helluin flickered in the mists above the borders of the world, in that hour the Children of the Earth awoke, the Firstborn of Ilúvatar."
    Options
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

Old Hawkeye:

New Hawkeye:

I really appreciate you guys actually looking into this, but I'm not a big fan of the New Hawkeye suggestion because what happens if you accidentally proc Molag Kena 2pc when you weren't ready? It shouldn't be tied into light/heavy attacks because there's other sets that do the same and you might not want them to go off.
    Can't you just remove the off balanced enemies part from the old Hawkeye gear? It's not like bow is OP as it is.

If the reason you don't want to do this is because of PVP/PVE balance then it could have a double effect:

5 items) Increases the damage of your Bow attacks by 15% against NPCs
    Increases the damage of your Bow attacks against players by 8%
    Options
  • MonarchChief
    MonarchChief
    ✭✭✭

Could you explain why it's a nerf please? No salt, just curious because I like the skill.
    Edited by MonarchChief on February 19, 2016 12:35PM
    Caelonas Barkstrider Bosmer Nightblade AD Tank
    Adriènne Clairmont Breton Templar AD Healer
    Aureline Direnni Altmer Sorceror AD DPS
    Options
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you explain why it's a nerf please? No salt, just curious because I like the skill.

A lot of people don't like it because it's an AOE root and snare damaging ability. It does have a pretty hefty cost, so you can't just sit there spamming it all day.
    Options
  • Helluin
    Helluin
    ✭✭✭

The changement of Hawkeye, as explained by Jeckll, leads to less damage because, if you spam just this AoE against multiple opponents, you don't get automatically the bonus against off balance targets.
    I'm not a fan of Bombard, but some players could complain about the new Hawk Eye.

Personally I prefer the new one, because it's more all around across contents and you get instead a 15% damage more vs every target (obviously if you use L/H attacks at least) and not just off balance ones.
    Edited by Helluin on February 19, 2016 2:29PM
    Options
  • MonarchChief
    MonarchChief
    ✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    A lot of people don't like it because it's an AOE root and snare damaging ability. It does have a pretty hefty cost, so you can't just sit there spamming it all day.
    You are referring to people who only spam the skill right? Meaning no weaving, etc.?
    Personally I prefer the new one, because it's more all around across contents and you get instead a 15% damage more vs every target (obviously if you use L/H attacks at least) and not just off balance ones.

Could this be considered a buff to the skill then? It's more flexible right? Because if you weave attacks, you would, ideally, have that 15% pretty often (against multiple targets, no less)? Or are you guys speaking mostly in terms of something like "Look, the enemy is off balance, so I'll swap to my bow and get the extra damage", which would no longer be an option?
    Caelonas Barkstrider Bosmer Nightblade AD Tank
    Adriènne Clairmont Breton Templar AD Healer
    Aureline Direnni Altmer Sorceror AD DPS
    Options
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

Old Hawkeye:

New Hawkeye:

I really appreciate you guys actually looking into this, but I'm not a big fan of the New Hawkeye suggestion because what happens if you accidentally proc Molag Kena 2pc when you weren't ready? It shouldn't be tied into light/heavy attacks because there's other sets that do the same and you might not want them to go off.
    Can't you just remove the off balanced enemies part from the old Hawkeye gear? It's not like bow is OP as it is.

If the reason you don't want to do this is because of PVP/PVE balance then it could have a double effect:

5 items) Increases the damage of your Bow attacks by 15% against NPCs
    Increases the damage of your Bow attacks against players by 8%

I disagree with this sentiment. In practice, Molag Kena should be up as close to 100% of the time as possible for maximum damage output. Resource management should accommodate this, not hinder it, so if someone is not able to sustain Kena procs, then they shouldn't be using it, as there really is no point in wearing something and not using it to it's full potential. Just as sets that provide benefits like "when you drop below X health" or "has a chance to proc off of something that already has a chance to proc" (e.g. scathing mage) are highly inefficient and sub-prime if the up-time can't be met. There are gear alternatives that offer comparable damage output (albeit slightly lower, typically) with far superior resource manageability.

This adjustment to bows is, as far as I can tell, the most effective way to boost bow sustained damage without impacting burst damage. The stacks can be maintained, at least in theory, for about 95-99% of any given PvE encounter, including bosses.
    Edited by Autolycus on February 19, 2016 4:46PM
    Options
  • Helluin
    Helluin
    ✭✭✭
    You are referring to people who only spam the skill right? Meaning no weaving, etc.?

Could this be considered a buff to the skill then? It's more flexible right? Because if you weave attacks, you would, ideally, have that 15% pretty often (against multiple targets, no less)? Or are you guys speaking mostly in terms of something like "Look, the enemy is off balance, so I'll swap to my bow and get the extra damage", which would no longer be an option?

Yes, it is indeed a great buff for sustained damage, weaving correctly you should be able to keep it up.
    Even if you reach 1 or 2 stacks is already 5-10%.
    Jeckll and I wrote just about a PvP situation spamming Bombard where weaving can't be stable and probably we didn't explain it well.

I give you an example: let's say you use Venom Arrow on a casting target or an opponent who is resurrecting someone, you intterrupt him/her, so the following attack with bow on him/her the does 15% more damage.
    Same can be applied to Magnum Shot/Draining Shot interrupting a cast, etc.

Now 15% more damage then is just on off balance targets (+ the damage of Exploiter if you have it unlocked in the Ritual) , while with the new Hawkeye, at full stack, you have 15% on every target.
    Options
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely not a nerf to bombard simply because you would usually have to engage with the enemy and put them off balance somehow in the first place. You are not opening with the skill.

Now, you can grab a group of mobs, open from stealth with a snipe canceled heavy attacked, and weave a bombard, At this point you have increased your bow damage by 7% on the bombard. If you still have aoe then you heavy cancel the second bombard and you have 12% increase.

napkin math says that an easily attainable overall 9-12% dps increase is significantly better than a possible 15% increase, which is a low possibility.

Especially in AOE situations, since the entire group wouldn't be set off balance typically, you would be doing the extra 15% damage to that one person in the group.

The new passive is a solid increase to the entire mob group.

Me likey.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
    Options
  • EnOeZ
    EnOeZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

Old Hawkeye:

New Hawkeye:

Please do the same with HEAVY ARMOR : change it, buff it, make it exist and integrate its mechanics in the game.

Thank you.
    Options
  • LearnThis
    LearnThis
    ✭✭✭
    k9888znc54h4.jpg

I am happy for this change, but as a few have said before, the bow should not be as strong as melee. It is just like they have talked about with magicka damage intentionally being less than stamina. Up close and personal damage has higher risk so it makes sense for it to hit harder. I look forward to hearing from people after testing this on PTS.
    Edited by LearnThis on February 19, 2016 8:36PM
    PSN: LearnThis
    Bosmer Nightblade (Master Crafting, everything researched)
    Dunmer Dragonknight
    Breton Nightblade
    Breton Mage
    Argonian Templar
    Norn Dragonknight
    High Elf Dragonknight

Champion Points are capped

~I have completed Cadwell's Silver six times and Gold four times... Please do not tell me about the experience of leveling.~
    Options
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    LearnThis wrote: »
    k9888znc54h4.jpg

I am happy for this change, but as a few have said before, the bow should not be as strong as melee. It is just like they have talked about with magicka damage intentionally being less than stamina. Up close and personal damage has higher risk so it makes sense for it to hit harder. I look forward to hearing from people after testing this on PTS.

Why do all ranged Magicka builds do more dps than melee stamina builds?
    Makes also no sense..... ><
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

Options
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey guys,

Old Hawkeye:

New Hawkeye:

hmmmmm finally i can make money out of my AP. hahhha

YOU ARE GOING TO GET ME 5x vicious death for my bomberblade, and 5x marksman for my pewpew! I have to payyyy
    EU | PC
    Options
  • Dyride
    Dyride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaliki wrote: »
    @ZOS_KNowak: Additionally to the Hawk Eye passive change I think it would be great if you could fix Long Shots.

Tooltip says:
    WITH BOW EQUIPPED
    Gives you a damage bonus of up to 12% against enemies at longer range.

This bonus only applies to bow abilities though.
    If it applied to ranged class abilities it would maybe give players running a bow nice synergies (comparable to the crit or flat damage bonuses you get with dual wield or two handed) .

You realize this would be an even bigger boost than that received by DW? Increasing damage at range by 12% is huge, even if someone wasn't weaving attacks.
    V Є H Є M Є И C Є
      Ḍ̼̭͔yride

Revenge of the Bear

ØMNI
      Solongandthanksforallthef
      Revenge of the Hist
      Revenge of the Deer

Remember the Great Burn of of the Blackwater War!

#FreeArgonia
      Options
    1. Anhedonie
      Anhedonie
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Bow needs stronger dot component. That fix won't help. And the duritaion is a bit short, unless this buff not only stacks, but refreshes on each hit.
      Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
      Options
    2. nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
      nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The change is a big nerf to pvp bows.

Right now you open with a sneak snipe that stuns your target and then you get the big damage bonus on that target until he breaks the stun.

With the new system you have to use low damage light attacks to build up dps. So the overall damage potential of bows in pvp is reduced a lot.

Also you should never fix stuff via light attacks as people with low pings cannot animation cancel at all in this game so moving stuff to light attacks put us at even greater disadvantage than we already have.
      Options
    3. Toc de Malsvi
      Toc de Malsvi
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Anhedonie wrote: »
      Bow needs stronger dot component. That fix won't help. And the duritaion is a bit short, unless this buff not only stacks, but refreshes on each hit.

This buff will be great if you are properly weaving with heavy/medium/light attacks. It is not designed to make bow much stronger in pvp although it will improve open play just not opening burst. It is designed for PVE and sustained boss fights, and it should provide a solid boost to Bow dps although maybe not quite put it on top.

LearnThis wrote: »
      k9888znc54h4.jpg

This would be more realistic and understandable if this game did not have unlimited gap closing compared to pathetic gap creating. Currently opening with a bow is a dice roll hoping you can burst them before Crit Rush/Ambush + WB/Surprise Attack destroy's you. There is little to no advantage from range in this game as opposed to other games where you can actually kite with gap creator's. That's without even considering that gap creating any real distance in ESO just means you are giving your opponent a stronger hit from crit rush.
      Legendary Archer of Valenwood
      Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
      Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
      Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
      Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
      Templar's are evil..
      Options
    4. Anhedonie
      Anhedonie
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Anhedonie wrote: »

This buff will be great if you are properly weaving with heavy/medium/light attacks. It is not designed to make bow much stronger in pvp although it will improve open play just not opening burst. It is designed for PVE and sustained boss fights, and it should provide a solid boost to Bow dps although maybe not quite put it on top.

Assuming you don't lag and have a perfect ping, yeah.
      Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
      Options