Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Have you ever have had hard time finding a good lore friendly character name?

• nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I have a lore freindly name that was easy to come up with.
    Gedalya wrote: »
    Mr.Hmm wrote: »
    Idgrod Jurgarsen -> Female Nord
    Maramal Al-Skaven -> Male Redguard
    Torval Strong-Arm -> Male Nord
    Irileth Verethi -> Female Dark Elf
    Ko'Raya Sikar -> Female Khajit
    Uzorth Gra-Dul -> Female Orc
    Dh'emka Al-Skaven -> Female Redguard

Easy.

It would be Uzorth gra-Dul; not Uzorth Gra-Dul (lower caes gra and gro).

If CS wouldn't be a babe and change the name...I'd have to burn the toon down. The OCD is strong. Maybe hold out until they sell Name Change on the Crown Store.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I built a name generator just to satisfy my need for lore friendly names; you can access it here:

http://eso.tamriel.org/

That's great! I tried it for a while, and it seems pretty accurate. Awesome job!

I usually combine common syllables of names of existing characters to get to my names, especially for non-human characters. For example, my mer girls are called Aerindel (Altmer), Liliel (Dunmer with an Altmer father), Tegwen (Bosmer), Durza gra-Maghul (Orsimer; both her name and her mother's name were made like that) and Zadarri (Khajiit).

For my Argonian, I used a Cyrodiilic name (Sings-Many-Songs), and for my humans I used human names I like (Beatrice and Ellaria) and existing Breton and Imperial surnames (Leoriane and Valerius).
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have had a hard time finding a good lore appropriate name.
    Not that anyone can see them... the only exception was the khajiit I named I am VERY surprised it wasn't taken.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Mr.Hmm
    Mr.Hmm
    ✭✭✭✭

Easy.

Hmm I did not know.

Oh well here's hoping ZoS will gives us a name change token in Crown Shop.
    If I die tomorrow I do not want to think of the game I could of played today, therefor I will play whatever I want today while securing a future to play in as well.

A true gamer will think of all the possible outcomes and execute the one that is the hardest to accomplish.
  • Smitch_59
    Smitch_59
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first ESO character is an Imperial named Quentius Curio. Morrowind fans might recognize the surname.

I recently created a Redguard mule named Carrie Yrburden.
    By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I had no difficulty at all, since my character is named after the best NPC ever:

S'jirra?file=S%2527jirra.png

"S'jirra is a Khajiit commoner staying at Faregyl Inn, south of the Imperial City. Her potato bread is apparently famous (though nobody else anywhere will make any mention of it) but unfortunately, she is unable to make a batch for you, as her jumbo potatoes were hoodwinked by a mischievous ogre. If you can retrieve them for her, she'll give you a batch of the bread for free."

After ZOS banned my argonian DK's name, though, I had to search for a new name for her. She was Faggerdoll Ovencant, because I love Spoonerisms. Her new name is Thtithil-Meht, which is Saxhleel for "egg breaker."
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Take_No_Prisoners

It's actually a really awesome name for a NB. Brings-his-Might was a little trickier to come by, but fits the bill for my Templar.
  • TheTwistedRune
    TheTwistedRune
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it just helps to read lore and UESP is a great resource.

Incidentally, my Breton Sorcerer is named Mesanthano. He already has his own tower in game, you might even see him there from time to time........... ;)

Edited by TheTwistedRune on February 11, 2016 4:56PM
  • Usara
    Usara
    ✭✭✭✭
    My character names are in my sig :open_mouth:
    Not all of characters name came from the lore, but with a bit of mind-stretching, I thought it worked rather well.
    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Usara v531 - Usara2 v322 - Escouade Sauvage - PC - EU - EP

Usara Den Thasnet - Retainer of House Hlaalu (Dunmer Templar, heal)
    Livia Augustus - Deserter of the Imperial 7th Legion (Imperial DK, tank)
    Aspen Vael - Battlemage of King Casimir III (Breton Sorcerer, tank/dd magicka)
    Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Chante-avec-les-escargots - House Hlaalu snail breeder (Argonian NB, tank)
    Ryl Serandas - Mournhold Ordinator (Dunmer DK, dd magicka)
    Dar'Aiean - House Hlaalu Smuggler (Khajiit NB, dd stamina)
    Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
    Torafhilde Frostdottir - Winterhold Cryomancer (Nord Sorcerer, dd magicka)
    Senecar - Daedra hunter, former Thalmor corps (Altmer Templar, dd magicka)
    Ondres Hlaalu - House Hlaalu Skooma Trader (Dunmer NB, dd magicka)
  • catalyst10e
    catalyst10e
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not hard to find the names I have a hard time settling on which one to pick...
    "Why settle for just stabbing your foes when you can roast them alive in a gout of arcane fire?"
    [| DC Breton Sorcerer || NA PS4 || PSN: Catalyst10e |]
    [| DC Dunmer Dragon Knight |]
  • ankhor8
    ankhor8
    ✭✭✭
    @runagate Jel names are the best
    Kota-Sax-Blood of True An-Xileel
    TrueAn-Xileel.guildlaunch.com
    Psn community page: An-Xileel
    Seth Salute
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nine9six wrote: »

Easy.

If CS wouldn't be a babe and change the name...I'd have to burn the toon down. The OCD is strong. Maybe hold out until they sell Name Change on the Crown Store.

Message customer support and request a name change if need be; I did that once (I actually had a non-OCD reason though), so maybe you can get them to give a free reset.
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • xellink
    xellink
    ✭✭✭
    Female argonian suggestions (Non PR warning, do not click if you are easily offended):
    Stay-at-home
    Back-to-kitchen
    Cooks-nice-dinner
    Likes-to-clean
    Likes-to-cook
  • Flak
    Flak
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah but I have other problems with character names... gets kinda hard to think of a name with Flak in it, at least when you already have 7 :wink:

GM of the progressive raiding Guild Ghosts and Goblins | Recruitment: Open

Roster

Flák - 50 Magicka DK DD
    Toxic Flák - 50 Stamina DK DD
    Flakká - 50 Magicka NB DD
    Sonic Flák - 50 Stam-Sorc DD
    Flákjack - 50 Stamplar DD
    Flák the Ripper - 50 StamNB DD
    Flakster - 50 Magicka Sorc DD
    Overwhelming Flak - 50 Magicka Templar Healer/DD
    Full Metal Flák - 50 Stamina DK Tank
    All Pact

YouTube
  • xellink
    xellink
    ✭✭✭
    Flak wrote: »
    Nah but I have other problems with character names... gets kinda hard to think of a name with Flak in it, at least when you already have 7 :wink:

may i suggest an argonian name: Eats-Corn-Flaks
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't exactly call it lore friendly since my khajiiti name was never explicitly used nor has any honorifics/suffices.....
    But it sounds khajiiti enough. I basically looked at the language, started mashing some syllables together, found one I liked and stuck with it.

Ranmai Srii'ka sounds decent enough. But it is distinct and mine and that's what I care for.
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ankhor8 wrote: »
    @runagate Jel names are the best

@ankhor8 what do your Jel names mean?
  • jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest though, I have some alts named for Game of Thrones characters.
  • Caza99
    Caza99
    ✭✭✭✭
    All my characters are based either on my original character, Mercer Gravehart, or my @ name, Caza99. Sometimes both :P
    Edited by Caza99 on March 9, 2016 10:25PM
    PC NA - @MercerESO
  • Benegon
    Benegon
    ✭✭
    I used the name Benegon for my Nord. Its just the name I use for games. Was a randomized name from Lord of the Rings Online and it stuck. Also have some guys called Benie. Just a bit less lore friendly lol.
  • iRageGGB
    iRageGGB
    ✭✭✭
    I mean I don't really have a lore-friendly first name for my characters I just use "Sah'Kriid" as a last name basically meaning Shadow Dragon in Dovah, which I came up with the name in Skyrim and it kind of just stuck.
    The Ugly Orcling - EP Orc Stam Sorc
    Thorlarex Sah'Kriid - EP Sorcerer
    Râgê - EP Dragonknight
    Serriah Sah'Kriid - DC Nightblade
  • Bananko
    Bananko
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was told that I named my Imperial Nightblade wrong, that I should've ended his last name with an -us rather than with an -elli. :(
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And here I am waiting to change my name to a even more lore friendly name.
  • I55UE5
    I55UE5
    ✭✭✭
    Well after getting the Xivkyn costumes, I now make every character with a daedric name. This is very easy as you can name them like the sewers banner bosses and be a total badass.
  • SahrotRein
    SahrotRein
    ✭✭✭✭
    My second most proudful name that I came up with for my Imperial was Eres Decretum, originally in latin which I found fitting for such a race, that closely resembles Romans. Hence the name, it was lawful character, fullfilling orders to the end.

My current, over half a year old Altmer character - Runaan Fortis, comes from original Altmer name, which I've adjusted a bit because I like double a's in names. Months later, I realized it may look like I just simply took Runaan from other game's item called "Runaan's Hurricane", which quite saddened me. While Fortis is just another latin word which I found fitting for a Sorcerer.

Edited by SahrotRein on March 9, 2016 10:45PM
    Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines.

- A Dominion of peace. The fair and just rule of Tamriel
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having played in the Tamriel universe for many years (since Morrowind), I have a pretty good idea of what names fit lore and which don't :wink: Personally, I prefer names that are as Tamrielic as possible, since I am an avid RP'er, and it's just so much easier to get into character if they aren't called MissPinkLady (or something similar) :tongue:
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • Xarko
    Xarko
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know. Is Leopardo Diclawprio a lore friendly name?
    Edited by Xarko on March 9, 2016 11:10PM
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s more a difficulty of Choosing for me, finding them is easy enough. I check the uesp wiki when I need inspiration, but also just sort of pay attention to the trends in NPC names and try to think of things that seem to fit in with those. I’m not extremely committed to lore-friendly names, but like to try to have names that at least don’t blatantly remind people of real life, or other fictional universes. I’ve made up many of my names, and mainly use whatever I like the sound of. I love making up names anyways, it’s fun putting sounds together or making variations on common names.

Looking at name sites that indicate cultural origin of the name can be useful
    Nords - scandinavian / german sounding names are usually good
    Redguard - middle eastern sounding names tend to work
    Bretons - seems like traditional English as well as some French names
    Edited by Aelthwyn on March 9, 2016 11:27PM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy having names that at least sound "fitting"... though I also enjoy using anagrams of my very first drow character name for my gaming characters (hey, it amuses me... ;) )
    I have some characters where that works out fine, and... some... where I just did not spend enough thought on the issue. But that is entirely my fault for being foolish. (and someday I will be paying crowns to correct my foolishness... I just wish it would be possible to do that sooner...)
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Never had problems making names that fit in game. I never liked the style of names some people use so I like finding something interesting for my characters. And incase it hasn't been posted yet this link generates games using names that can also be seen on UESP but they are randomized, could help find some interesting combinations [http://fantasynamegenerators.com/elder-scrolls.php#.VuDCsPkrLDc].