Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Have you ever have had hard time finding a good lore friendly character name?

Thevampirenight
Thevampirenight
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Yeah trying to coming up with a good lore appropriate name, this can be a lengthy process and I am wondering if you had the same troubles.
I am using this site to see if I can find something, also linking this site so you can use it to find the name if your having a hard time looking for a good character name.
http://www.behindthename.com/names/gender/feminine/usage/english/5
Edited by Thevampirenight on February 11, 2016 3:47AM
PC NA
Please add Fangs to Vampires.

Have you ever have had hard time finding a good lore friendly character name? 145 votes

Yes, I have had a hard time finding a good lore appropriate name.
24%
Iruil_ESOZaeniddb92303008rwb17_ESODaraughUntrustedExistenzroguestrike01ub17_ESOStillianTX12001rwb17_ESOadriant1978ZorrashiBenegonDenniMyuuAzraelKriegdroids097RajajshkaazoriangamingRagnaroek93wiccaxyus911elvigy01 35 votes
No, I have a lore freindly name that was easy to come up with.
62%
NestorTabbycatakredon_ESOThymosRykothiRageGGBArobainHoyleguSeliqueKendaricKhajitFurTraderFrcyrPendrillionbertenburnyb16_ESOThe_SpAwNliamraine204b16_ESO2AbeilleguulHjelmerinadjyrb 90 votes
No because I have not used a lore friendly name, and I don't care one bit if I have a name like example mindcrafforlive or something like that.
13%
KnootewootChililianbabylonVolkodavnilldaxpsychedeliciantherrieurZiggyCFloppyFrankcode65536Mickey_OxSlappahMolag_CrowAcsvfKr3donobleboivintheher0nottazdevil9359BossdonutFischblut 20 votes
  • Bossdonut
    Bossdonut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No because I have not used a lore friendly name, and I don't care one bit if I have a name like example mindcrafforlive or something like that.
    butt lord is pretty lore friendly if you ask me
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    some races are easier to make lore friendly names then others
  • Bossdonut
    Bossdonut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artjuh90 wrote: »
    some races are easier to make lore friendly names then others

Like an argonian named Poops-in-Rivers
  • Slappah
    Slappah
    ✭✭✭
    Slappah4lyfe
  • attackjet
    attackjet
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is Deathola.
    Pretty OG ;)
  • The_4O4
    The_4O4
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Names

This might help
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    well not really easily comes up with, but theres lot of refrences on wiki and also theres fictional name generator if you want, its available for TES, LOTR etc
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian - Happyscale
    Khajiit -Goodweed

I love my names
  • theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I named my main "Shrödinger's Khajiit". I don't need a lore friendly name when I got that
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    theher0not wrote: »
    I named my main "Shrödinger's Khajiit". I don't need a lore friendly name when I got that

I like clever names like that (they're fun to see), though some of the lore friendly ones are also nice to see running about.

My names are just names I like, they're not horrifically breaking anyone's immersion but they're also not following any lore either.
  • Reedx
    Reedx
    ✭✭✭
    my Katjhit name is K'hara Raihjn and my argonian name is Drako-Strider , my orc name is Raza'gol and my Nord is Asgard Stoneclaw...

No name generator, just came up with in mind of all the npc i met in oblivion/Skyrim and ESO ^^ tho it might not be 100% lorefreindly, that i dont know, but it feels right and thats good enought for me

Execpt Raihjn tho... that name is from one of the Theif Katjiht god
    Maker of Drama & Lover of Roleplay
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevos Hlaalu - Dunmer Templar

Ralos Hlaalu - Dunmer NB

Gaius Antonius - Imperial DK

Sanyon Aundae - Altmer Sorc Vamp

...no trouble here!
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I find it easy.

Of course I just use different lore.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_4O4 wrote: »

This should be your go-to source for TES names.

The only hard time you'll have is to decide. My 4th Dunmer is named Lloros Indaren (after Yeherradad Urshummarnamus, Nibani Hainnabibi and Sadryn Telvayn) and I'm still not 100% happy with it.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There was no other choice.But I said no,because I know of a couple of sites that generate names fitting the different races.
    Edited by Volkodav on February 11, 2016 7:51AM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian - Happyscale
    Khajiit -Goodweed

I love my names

I love both of them - haha.
  • ShadowDisciple
    ShadowDisciple
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ankrahmun the Exiled - inspired by mmo Tibia, Ankrahmun is a city in that game that is egyptian in style, and he is a Redguard so it kiiinda fits

Valyria The Shadow Queen - GoT inspired, Dark Elf name...magblade so kinda fits i guess
    Edited by ShadowDisciple on February 11, 2016 12:35PM
  • Hjelmerina
    Hjelmerina
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly my names are lore friendly. When I make my characters I usually go google like ''Dunmer names'' and there is that one website listed with probably all the possible names TES games have. Then I just get inspired by them and make my own.
    PC EU // Guild: Hodor
    ╭∩╮◕ل͜◕)
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All my characters have lore-friendly names. I usually come up with a name or have a general idea of how I want the name to sound like long before I actually make the character. The only character I had a harder time coming up with a name was my Breton, because I wanted a surname that actually existed within the lore but that not everybody would immediately recognize.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a method I use in MMOs. I pick a 3 letter combination that all my characters will have worked into my names so it's easy for guildies to identify them and something short for them to call me (because most are going to type as few letters as possible and shorten people's names anyway ;)
    Some are more lore based, others just because I liked them.

For this game my 3 letters were Xen.

Xendyn Nettis (Dunmer Sorc)
    Xenlin Kevian (Altmer sorc)
    Xen Gro Kevran (Orc stam DK)
    Xen'Jirr Kaharn (Khajiit stam NB)
    Xena Fireshaper (Dunmer Mag DK)
    Xenophobia (Breton MagBlade)

Then there's the Argonian Glows with Hope, my Templar

and my mule Mr Bag :D
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • Shogunami
    Shogunami
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I can feel my brain eyebrow twitching every time I see poor/bad character name. I've come to learn that people also don't understand why I name my characters properly and create a backround story for them.

So I guess we can agree to disagree.
    Maybe I'm just playing this game too much like an Elder Scrolls game :p
    -
    "I think Orcs first turned a bear head into food because it looks amazing." -Orzorga.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine are mostly not lore-based, but as well not lore-unfriendly. For example I gave my dark-skinned Redguard a Xhosa name, because she is open-minded, friendly and overall a happy person, just like most Xhosa are. I know no other culture with that many overall happy people like in Xhosa tribes, not because they would have it easy in life, but because it is their attitude.

This has of course nothing to do with the game, it is just a personal experience which really made me happy, to see, that there are people in this world, who despite hardship in their life, have the ability to convert their life into bliss and happiness and make others happy, just due to their overall attitude. I wanted to honor that by giving 2 of my characters Xhosa names.

Edit: You guys might even know a half-Xhosa - Trevor Noah, who runs the Daily Show now. His mother is a Xhosa woman and his father is from Switzerland.
    Edited by Lysette on February 11, 2016 1:18PM
  • Hand_Bacon
    Hand_Bacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It shouldn't be too hard to find a lore friendly name since I see non lore friendly names copied into oblivion.

I've seen "Lestat" and "Legolas" with so many different spellings.

Not long ago I saw a character named Lestaaatttttttt and "The Legolas" "Legolas The Wonderful" the list goes on and on.

So yeah, take a page from these people and just copy a name and add a phrase or extra consonants and vowels. Its classy.

#AlmostGood@ESO
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want any lore, you can come up with names from here: http://fantasynamegenerators.com/

Under Pop Culture you will find Elder Scrolls names for each race. Some of the names are seemingly random gibberish. That might depend on the race. Coupled with the UESP names page from above, you can craft a lore friendly name pretty easily.

For example, with races that have first and last names, pick a last name or first name from UESP and then pick the other name from the fantasy name generator (FNG).

Redguards are harder since it is common to omit the last name, but seriously, Redguard names can come from a baby naming website if you look for obscure names and then slightly change them. You can use UESP and FNG to get ideas.

Argonians can go one of two ways, either with the "Poops-in-Rivers" style, or authentic Argonian. I find this race to be the hardest.

Single word names will be the hardest, and a lot of those will be taken. However, with some creativity, you can make similar names that won't appear in any lists.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of my characters took considerable time to get names. And I rerolled several times because of the name that somehow did not fit well enough with the role, race and class I envisioned for that character.

I had only two easy ones: Hrothbern and Loki Laufison

I always have in RPG games, since decades, one character named Hrothbern.
    Hroth stands for Fearless-Famous and Bern stands for Bear.

Hroth can be found also in the more common name Hrothgar or Famous Spear, king of the Spear Danes. The old king in Beowulf. Old English Hroðgar, old Norse Hróarr, proto-Norse Hrōþigaizaz.

Bern you find back in the name Bern of the prime city of Switzerland (formally there does not exist a capital city in Switzerland). The "coat of arms" of Bern is a black bear.
    Bear, Beorn, Björn, Beran, Beron all mean bear and in proto-Germanic (Beron) means Hero-Warrior. Somewhere around 1200 low nobility in Britain were named a Baron.

A biggg bear, afraid of nothing, a warrior hero, going his own way. That's me ;)
    So my Nord Templar is Hrothbern. That was an easy one to find a name.

The other easy one, my other favorite name, is always Loki. I really like Loki. In the Nordic Mythology he brought the knowledge of Fire to mankind.The Christian equivalent is the fallen angel Lucifer. (the lucifer matches :) ) The greek equivalent is the Titan Prometheus. And in fact almost all cultures in the world have a fallen God or demi-god that brought the blessing or curse of Fire & knowledge to mankind and fell in disgrace by the supreme god of that culture.
    Because the name Loki was already taken by somebody else in May 2014, I gave Loki his full Nordic name: Loki Laufison. Loki the son of Laufi.

Loki got in medieval times a bad reputation (like Lucifer)
    Loki was certainly not impressed by any form of institutions, the sitting power establishment and liked to tease and play around in a provocative manner. So he had not many friends "upstairs".

By stupid actions he caused also the death of the God of Light Baldr. From the blood that fell on the earth grew a nice white flower, with a yellow heart: the healing herb Kamille.

So my Nord Nightblade healer is Kamille Baldrsdottir. Kamille, daughter of Baldr. She walks around in the white wedding robe, symbolysing the innocence of her father, and a flower in her hair.

So.... a lot of lore. Not really TES lore. But most names I use are coming from RPG's much older than TES.

Edited by hrothbern on February 11, 2016 2:19PM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think my character names are lore friendly to a certain degree, although they do not mirror the Basic TES lore concerning names.

In MMOs you always play the same game for name hunting -> be the first to log in after release and fill your available character slots and therfore occupy the "good" names for you exclusively.

As I dislike playing Argonians and Khajiit the naming procedure wasn't that difficult.

Edited by Flameheart on February 11, 2016 2:16PM
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

• AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For those I have given lore friendly names to, yes. I find a name generator and just cycle through names until I find a combination I like. Argonians are always the most fun for coming with their Cyrodilic names though. Made one recently called Chugs-Potions-In-Shade.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Mr.Hmm
    Mr.Hmm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Idgrod Jurgarsen -> Female Nord
    Maramal Al-Skaven -> Male Redguard
    Torval Strong-Arm -> Male Nord
    Irileth Verethi -> Female Dark Elf
    Ko'Raya Sikar -> Female Khajit
    Uzorth Gra-Dul -> Female Orc
    Dh'emka Al-Skaven -> Female Redguard

Easy.
    If I die tomorrow I do not want to think of the game I could of played today, therefor I will play whatever I want today while securing a future to play in as well.

A true gamer will think of all the possible outcomes and execute the one that is the hardest to accomplish.
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I built a name generator just to satisfy my need for lore friendly names; you can access it here:

http://eso.tamriel.org/

Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr.Hmm wrote: »
    Idgrod Jurgarsen -> Female Nord
    Maramal Al-Skaven -> Male Redguard
    Torval Strong-Arm -> Male Nord
    Irileth Verethi -> Female Dark Elf
    Ko'Raya Sikar -> Female Khajit
    Uzorth Gra-Dul -> Female Orc
    Dh'emka Al-Skaven -> Female Redguard

Easy.

It would be Uzorth gra-Dul; not Uzorth Gra-Dul (lower caes gra and gro).
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org