The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Put a minimum range on Ambus/Lotus Fan in the next incremental patch

• MountainHound
    MountainHound
    ✭✭✭✭
    It needs to be 5-22 meters. Someone right on top of you should NOT be able to keep spamming it. This should be the case with all gap closers... once they are on you, you don't need to use it again use your close melee.

I still stand by my idea of making each ability you use costs go up by 50% whenever you just spam it like the dodge / bolt mechanism.

This would slow wrecking blow spammers as well.
    Edited by MountainHound on January 31, 2016 5:21PM
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KenaPKK wrote: »
    I can Spampede you or Spamvasion just as easily as I can Spambush you.

No you can't. All other "gap" closers, other than ambush, require that there be a gap to close. So, after using them, you have to move (or your target has to move) to reestablish that minimum distance. So, you can't just keep hitting the same button over and over again.
    Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/
  • Aquanova
    Aquanova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Takllin wrote: »
    Aquanova wrote: »
    Here we go again with another sissy nerf thread!

Why do you guys who ask for this stuff still even play the game?.....huh?

Why does anyone still play this game?.....huh?

You tell me!
    NA/PC
  • Takllin
    Takllin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You tell me!

Rhetorical question is it not? People like the game and the friends that they play with.

Why is it you think that people who ask for balance changes shouldn't be playing the game?
    Jadokis - AD Redguard DK v16 AR 18
    Jàsènn - AD Orc Templar 47 AR 10
    Jessèn - AD Dunmer DK v16 AR 9 - Former Empress of Blackwater Blade

Tekllin - AD Altmer Sorcerer v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Tekklin - AD Bosmer Nightblade v16 AR 12 (Ret.)
    Jasenn - DC Imperial Templar v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Jasènn - DC Orc Sorcerer v16 AR 15 (Ret.)
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is it you think that people who ask for balance changes shouldn't be playing the game?

Because he likes spamming ambush?

:)
    Tal'gro Bol
  • ksimpscnub18_ESO
    ksimpscnub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I am sorry but if you think this is a *** nerf thread then you are just ignorant. This is logistical and abilities of the same type "gap closers" in this instance, should all be equal on their functionality.
    Edited by ksimpscnub18_ESO on January 31, 2016 5:33PM
    Tikijim DC NB
    Wakka Flame DC DK
    Nearcyde DC Templar

• Aquanova
    Aquanova
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You tell me!

Rhetorical question is it not? People like the game and the friends that they play with.

Your not asking for balance, your asking for nerfs. Does every player die to ambush spam??????
    I dont! So what your asking for is a nerf based on your personal inability to deal with that skill. So what does that mean? Huh? L2P!!!!!!
    Talcyndl wrote: »

I don't spam ambush! I personally have had it spammed on me though and ive died from it sometimes and sometimes I kill who ever is spamming it. There's 2 points I'm trying to make here.

1. Everything in this game (currently) has a counter offer some sort.
    2. Just because you die or are annoyed by a certain skill doesn't mean it's OP, and should be nerfed!

IE, L2P!
    Edited by Aquanova on January 31, 2016 5:42PM
    NA/PC
  • Takllin
    Takllin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You tell me!

Your not asking for balance, your asking for nerfs. Does every player die to ambush spam??????
    I dont!
    So what your asking for is a nerf based on your personal inability to deal with that skill. So what does that mean? Huh? L2P!!!!!!
    Talcyndl wrote: »

I don't spam ambush! I personally have had it spammed on me though and ive died from it sometimes and sometimes I kill who ever is spamming it. There's 2 points I'm trying to make here.

2. Just because you die or are annoyed by a certain skill doesn't mean it's OP, and should be nerfed!

IE, L2P!

You call it a nerf, we call it balance. You still didn't answer my question. I don't have much issue with Ambush spam, you know what assumptions do right?

In bold, LOL.
    Jadokis - AD Redguard DK v16 AR 18
    Jàsènn - AD Orc Templar 47 AR 10
    Jessèn - AD Dunmer DK v16 AR 9 - Former Empress of Blackwater Blade

Tekllin - AD Altmer Sorcerer v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Tekklin - AD Bosmer Nightblade v16 AR 12 (Ret.)
    Jasenn - DC Imperial Templar v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Jasènn - DC Orc Sorcerer v16 AR 15 (Ret.)
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

making ambush require a minimum range would not nerf it at all, it could still be used constantly, but it would not be at point blank range, which would be good seeing as how gap closers now inflict their victims with stuns/heavy snares that essentially immobilize the victim. Having a gap closer that can do that at point blank is unbalanced when every other gap closer cannot, and I am a stamblade saying this.

Besides, I have heard rumors that ZOS may end up un-doing this stun via gap closer nonsense, if they do then this change to ambush will not be needed. Ambush is not the main target here, it is people trying to alleviate the ridiculous state of gap closers until they are fixed.

L2P? I can play. I have dealt with this abuse of gap closing stuns via ambush many times. it does not change how unbalanced it is. You call it nerfing ambush, we call it balancing it with every other gap closer in the game. You want to see a real nerf request? find a thread on here discussing Shadow cloak, THOSE are nerf threads.
    Edited by Cody on January 31, 2016 6:02PM
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to assume you don't know or understand the current mechanism in place which applies a short unbreakable stun (ie, player can take NO action) every time a gap closer is cast. This was put in place by ZOS to allow players to counter things like sorcs spamming bolt escape. It lets the gap closer player get in an attack after the gap closer, before the other player can escape.

ZOS has stated that they now realize there is a problem with this system in that what was intended to be a very brief stun can turn into an extended period where the targeted player can't do anything (ie, no counter possible). This occurs when either (1) multiple players all use gap closers against the same target or (2) when a NB spams ambush repeatedly. Number 2 is what this thread addresses.

So, there is no counter and it's not a L2P issue. It's a mechanic ZOS introduced that is broken. They admit it is broken and intend to (try to) fix it in Thieves Guild by turning the stun into a root (ie, you can attack, etc.). But, in the meantime, there is a simple fix to Number 2 - one that also makes sense for other reasons (why should NB's have a "gap" closer that applies the stun or root, but doesn't require a gap).
    Tal'gro Bol
  • Aquanova
    Aquanova
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sorry but if you think this is a *** nerf thread then you are just ignorant. This is logistical and abilities of the same type "gap closers" in this instance, should all be equal on their functionality.

Well I'm not ignorant first off. I do agree that gap closers need to be about equal in their functionality, but that hasn't been the case for months now. And it's not limited to Ambush/Lotus Fan being perceived as being OP.

From a DK'S stand point, all the other gap closers are OP. Chains either pulls the target to me or me to the target. Very disorienting and adds a challenge to playing the game.

When you guys ask for changes like the one your asking for, try to consider what other classes have and are going through before you make these requests.

I've excepted that certain classes have skills that may seem OP to me, like Hardend Ward, Puncturing Sweep, BoL, Cloak and Fear. Ambush is just another one. Why can't you guy's?

Do we really need another round of nerfs?

NA/PC
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well I'm not ignorant first off. I do agree that gap closers need to be about equal in their functionality, but that hasn't been the case for months now. And it's not limited to Ambush/Lotus Fan being perceived as being OP.

From a DK'S stand point, all the other gap closers are OP. Chains either pulls the target to me or me to the target. Very disorienting and adds a challenge to playing the game.

When you guys ask for changes like the one your asking for, try to consider what other classes have and are going through before you make these requests.

I've excepted that certain classes have skills that may seem OP to me, like Hardend Ward, Puncturing Sweep, BoL, Cloak and Fear. Ambush is just another one. Why can't you guy's?

no one said it is limited to ambush, we are saying it can be abused more by ambush, which it can because the ability does not have a minimum range requirement. THIS WOULD NOT BE A NERF. Every other gap closer in this game has a minimum distance requirement, ambush/lotus fan would not suffer in any way besides not being usable at point blank range with this change, which it does not need to be with the current new mechanism in place for gap closers.

stun locking is much worse than hardened ward.(which is not OP, its the way shields can be stacked that lets sorcs get these absurd damage shield numbers, but thats another thread). and every other ability that is listed. You do not understand the mechanic we are complaining about or are ignoring it because you see NERF . We are not targeting ambush directly, in fact if ZOS fixes this absurd gap close stun spam nonsense this change will not be needed, ambush can be used at point blank and, unfortunately, is a gap closer, meaning it uses that new gap closer stun. if this new stun will not be dealt with, then ambush will need a range requirement or this PvP will be nothing but stun locking NBs spamming SA while you cant even move.

I myself have dealt with every single ability up there that you listed, cloak being the easiest of them all, it is not a L2P issue, I left WoW PvP because of stun locking nonsense, and I will be damned if I sit by and let it seep into ESO.
    Edited by Cody on January 31, 2016 6:27PM
  • FMonk
    FMonk
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't think you understand what a nerf actually is. A minimum range would not affect the skill at all when using it for its intended purpose. If you ambush a sorc and he blinks away, you can still immediately ambush again, because there's a gap to be closed. This would only stop nightblades who purposely abuse the gap closer root/silence by spamming ambush at point-blank range. This is mostly a problem in small group outnumbered situations. Nobody is ever going to kill me 1v1 only spamming ambush, but if I'm fighting more than one person and one of them is spambushing, it's basically a death sentence, because there is no counter to not being able to use abilities.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    FMonk wrote: »

I don't think you understand what a nerf actually is. A minimum range would not affect the skill at all when using it for its intended purpose. If you ambush a sorc and he blinks away, you can still immediately ambush again, because there's a gap to be closed. This would only stop nightblades who purposely abuse the gap closer root/silence by spamming ambush at point-blank range. This is mostly a problem in small group outnumbered situations. Nobody is ever going to kill me 1v1 only spamming ambush, but if I'm fighting more than one person and one of them is spambushing, it's basically a death sentence, because there is no counter to not being able to use abilities.

even in a 1v1 it can be a death sentence, NBs will not just spam ambush the entire battle, they will stun you with it then proceed to smack you in the back with WB or SA while you stand there defensless. its absurd
    Edited by Cody on January 31, 2016 9:23PM
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ...don't gap closers need a gap?

Just sayin kids.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ghostbane wrote: »

Quick, someone get ZOS a dictionary. :)
    Tal'gro Bol
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ghostbane wrote: »

Just sayin kids.

nerf dark cloak:D lol.
    Edited by Cody on February 1, 2016 4:59AM
  • Farorin
    Farorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We do not need a minimum range on gap closers.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Farorin wrote: »
    We do not need a minimum range on gap closers.

why?
  • MormondPayne_EP
    MormondPayne_EP
    ✭✭✭✭
    rokrdt05 wrote: »
    The range for Ambush (1sec root)/Lotus Fan (6 second snare) is 22 Meters which falls short of most ranged abilities in the game. Bolt Escape/Streak has a smaller area of effect but also does not have a minimum range to use. Both skills are similar in the fact that the animation is "similar." These skills are also very expensive to spam, even though it's routinely spammed by players. I'm not sure why this makes people rage so hard... it's no different from any other skill being spammed in game. Find a counter.

Toppling/Explosive Charge both have a minimum range as well as the 1H skill Shield Charge. These skills are also similar in the way they perform.

As it is, I don't think anything needs to change IMO.

You are totally clueless aren't you?

When you are sitting on top of your opponent and your spambush the mini-stun inherent to the *** design by the Devs causes you to not be able to move...

Including a minimum range on Ambush will stop this perma-stun that is not an actual game mechanic.

So really, just stop talking because you just sound like a scrub who has spambush on all 5 ability slots and the ultimate slot as well.

lol insults? You must be so good...

In relation to knowing what I am talking about, yes, I am clearly better than you are because you are either wilfully ignorant or deliberately lying about the problem with the gap closer mini stun...
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The range for Ambush (1sec root)/Lotus Fan (6 second snare) is 22 Meters which falls short of most ranged abilities in the game. Bolt Escape/Streak has a smaller area of effect but also does not have a minimum range to use. Both skills are similar in the fact that the animation is "similar." These skills are also very expensive to spam, even though it's routinely spammed by players. I'm not sure why this makes people rage so hard... it's no different from any other skill being spammed in game. Find a counter.

Toppling/Explosive Charge both have a minimum range as well as the 1H skill Shield Charge. These skills are also similar in the way they perform.

As it is, I don't think anything needs to change IMO.

both do not have a delay between activation and application of the transition as ambush does.
    so yes add a minimum range to ambush but then remove the application delay, having both simply breaks the ability.
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine by me as a NB. I only use it as a gap closer or on a fleeing enemy.
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well I disagree completely about it not changing anything since it won't be spamable at 1 meter range or right on top of you. It's just a simple fact that it needs to be changed. Also lotus fan is non dodgeable so it can be spammed on someone that just rolled dodged and tried to cloak, still brought out.

6months ago : Constant NB QQ About flamelash hitting through dodge roll
    6months later : Lotus Fan still hit through dodge roll and NBs whistling innocently

meme-you-dont-say-nicolas-cage.jpg
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Kelleton
    Kelleton
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, min 5 meters.

Lets also add an increase in cost to dark cloak if cast within 5 seconds

that should fix the current issues with nightblade
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remove that god damn snare gap closers have and you can ambush me all day long. Seriously, all day. Because ain't no Nightblade gonna kill me doing that anyway.
  • riverdragon72
    riverdragon72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing will be changed on nightblades...why? The QQ will be worse than a whole pack of PMSing 14 year old girls.
    Meh...**** it..
  • God_flakes
    God_flakes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is nothing but thumb sucking and cry babying. Heck why don't we just get rid of all the dang skills and all stand around singing kumbaya???
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think ambush needs a minimum range. they just need to undo the *** they did to gap closers. they undo those changes and someone tries to spam ambush on you, all the power to 'em. it will be punishable.

i am not however, in favor of a nerf to ambush which doesn't even come close to treating to root problem with gap closers.
    Edited by Lucky28 on February 2, 2016 5:39AM
    Invictus
  • hammayolettuce
    hammayolettuce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky28 wrote: »
    I don't think ambush needs a minimum range. they just need to undo the *** they did to gap closers. they undo those changes and someone tries to spam ambush on you, all the power to 'em. it will be punishable.

i am not however, in favor of a nerf to ambush which doesn't even come close to treating to root problem with gap closers.

Please explain how adding a minor minimum range like every other gap closer is a nerf? Honestly please explain. I've yet to see a real explanation.

Snü (Magicka DK) ♥ Thnu (Stamplar) ♥ Pizza for Breakfast (Magplar) ♥ Sparklefingers (Magicka Sorc) ♥
    Bean and Cheese Burrito (Magicka DK) ♥ Snurrito (Stamplar) ♥
    DARFAL COVANT
  • JDar
    JDar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky28 wrote: »

Please explain how adding a minor minimum range like every other gap closer is a nerf? Honestly please explain. I've yet to see a real explanation.

To play devil's advocate? It limits the range of possibility within which you can use a certain ability. That's a nerf. But I am not disagreeing with you, @hammayolettuce . Nevermind whether you should be using a gap closer within 4 meters -- obviously that's stupid and we all want it to stop. You shouldn't need to do that if you're a good player. It cheapens the ability to position oneself and cheapens expensive maneuvering skills like Rapid Maneuvers and Dodge Roll or sprint. But it is human nature to want shortcuts.

I wager that people will give Well-Fitted a second look if all gap closers were given a mininum distance and made to be a lot more expensive. Frankly I think that would be good for the game, to make sprinting in combat more lucrative.