Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Crafting Becomes Relevant

MilwaukeeScott
MilwaukeeScott
✭✭✭✭✭
With many of the crafting material now being Bound On Pickup, crafting and Crafters are taking their rightful place along other skill lines.

No longer will a player be able to grind a backup character to V1 only to sit in Craglorn and pump out the same quality gear as a fully vested Crafter. Not only must your crafting skill be maxed out but now you must also be a skilled dungeon diver.

I foresee a future where Master Crafters who can obtain the materials needed will be a well sought out commodity!

Master Crafters rejoice! You are no longer a trivial afterthought!
PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need a Master Crafter, just a character that your willing to invest 10 points into each crafting lines material level. You can have no traits learned, no extraction or temper passives, no hirelings, and have never made an item in the game on that character to farm the highest level materials.

Which describes my VR16 Templar to a T, maxed material levels, no other points into crafting. Well I put some points into Extraction because it's more efficient for her to decon items rather than banking for my real Master Crafter to decon.

Yes, of course you have to do the decon grind to get them to 50 in the skill, but that does not mean they are a master crafter.
    Edited by Nestor on November 18, 2015 4:26PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor is correct, all one needs is extra skill points along with a little money and time to do the decon grind, and any character can reach level 50 in clothing, blacksmithing and woodworking without ever crafting a single item. Then they can feed the mats back to their actual master crafter character sitting in Craglorn or wherever pumping out gear. Sure you've got to double down on the mercenary chapters if you want laurels but that's not really a barrier like some of us were initially concerned about, as little as they are currently selling for on PC.

Edited by Slurg on November 18, 2015 4:57PM
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercenary chapters have already crashed in price and are at Dwemer levels of pricing now. Any smart person would have saved up all of their keys once Orsinium was announced.
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got my main to 50 in all crafting skills and I don't craft anything with him. Just need a few points to pick up scaled nodes and good to go.

Even one chapter gives a decent drop rate for laurels. If consol is like pc, I will just buy stuff in guild stores though.
  • gbsteve
    gbsteve
    ✭✭
    Does it matter what level someone is if they scale to V16 for the dungeons?
    VR3 - Stamblade
  • Lithium Flower
    Lithium Flower
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry op, you don't get to define a 'master crafter' based on only how you have been playing. A master crafter isn't defined as someone with only one character or a stable of identical ones.

I am just as valid a master crafter as anyone. 9 traits in every gear type, 100% recipes learned, all runes translated, all herbs deciphered. Most motifs learned (still working on a few Ancient Orc pieces). My dedicated crafter is v16 and has close to 300 skill points, can tank and dps like a proper dragonknight.

But I also have other characters that I liked to play, and nonsensically, this patch has put a huge penalty to bothering with them because I miss out on so many important things, including the all important crafting materials from Orsinium, cassertite and laurels.

I shouldn't be forced to level up skills I don't need for an unrelated function and mechanic. Whatever skill or ability I choose on a character should confer a legitimate advantage to that character, not be necessary to circumvent a flawed Game design.
    Dragonknight Smith of the Lith | Rayna Dreloth
    Templar Josephine Belmont | Catherine Belmont | Irene Belmont
    Sorceror Blathanna | Eta Carina
    Nightblade Adda Vorenor

Ebonheart Pact | Daggerfall Covenant | EU | Champion Points ~ 800 | Crafter of all things
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't be forced to level up skills for an unrelated function?

Who is forcing you to level those skill sets? What for the nodes? Well you don't have to have the mats either. If you don't wanna craft then don't look for crafting materials.

The devs don't add materials just so you can sell them.

I agree with OP. With the new 9 trait sets crafting has become relevant. Esp in guilds where not all members have them researched .

Im gonna assume master armor, twice born both would sell decently too.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • gbsteve
    gbsteve
    ✭✭
    The games flawed because they don't just have a hireling drop all the cool mats in my delivery box.
    VR3 - Stamblade
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I level up crafting on all my characters mainly because of the hirelings.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The devs don't add materials just so you can sell them.

That is not the point. The point is we want our high level characters to be able to farm for the mats they need for the gear they use. Then use our crafters to make the gear.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With many of the crafting material now being Bound On Pickup, crafting and Crafters are taking their rightful place along other skill lines.

No longer will a player be able to grind a backup character to V1 only to sit in Craglorn and pump out the same quality gear as a fully vested Crafter. Not only must your crafting skill be maxed out but now you must also be a skilled dungeon diver.

I foresee a future where Master Crafters who can obtain the materials needed will be a well sought out commodity!

Master Crafters rejoice! You are no longer a trivial afterthought!

Funny...

I foresee a future where BoP crafting materials get sold in the Crown Store so ZOS can make some cash from people not having the time to do an activity that is completely unrelated to crafting. Not sure why a dungeon runner is considered more of a crafter than someone who has also invested all the skill points into crafting and has learned the motifs and researched all the traits.

If you thought this was your chance to rip off your fellow players with greed pricing for gear... Guess again.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except for Provsioners. We got screwed. The new recipes have pretty much made us obsolete. Alchemists saw zero changes, other than an increase in some mat costs due to the new food. Enchanters are sort of barely keeping our heads above water due to the expensive glyphs we need to create, and the dearth of those same runes to refill our supplies. Plus the writ rewards are now all pretty bad across the board. Oh, and don't get me started on the lackluster performance of our hirelings since the release of Orsinium.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with the OP, and my main *is* my crafter. Provisioning got gutted, alchemy got nothing new and enchanting needs grinding in IC or else you are spending tons of gold buying Repora and Itade. Writs needing high level mats that also drop at pathetic rate have sent top tier material prices sky high.

Helping folks out with crafting? I liked that. Grinding for V16 materials, style ingredient and pages of motifs so I can craft for other people for free or tiny tips? Not fun.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scyantific wrote: »
    Mercenary chapters have already crashed in price and are at Dwemer levels of pricing now. Any smart person would have saved up all of their keys once Orsinium was announced.

Honestly, I was surprised it went as high as it did.

The official drop rate, according to ZOS, is 40/50/60% from bronze/silver/gold. That is very generous, and they are ridiculously easy to get. I stopped using my keys once my toons got the shoulders they needed, and I do 4 pledges a day, so on day one, I was wading through over 60 chapters. I initially expected them to start around 5K and drop down to the hundreds (instead of starting at over 20K and still selling in the thousands).
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch