Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

The Akaviri Swords Motif.

Kuroinu
Kuroinu
✭✭✭✭✭
I won't speak for everyone, only myself. But for some the feeling may be mutual.

Back when I first found out about the Akaviri Motif, I was looking forward to acquiring it no matter what the grind entailed. It was relevant to my interests to create the Akaviri armour style and match it up with both the one-handed and two-handed sword types, to create the Samurai-look that the Akaviri in TES are heavily influenced by.

However, only recently due to people joining the PTS and playing around in Orsinium did I find out that the Akaviri swords that we can craft are not Katanas or Dai-katanas. They are modeled to look like every other sword and greatsword currently in ESO. For me this has significantly dropped my motivation to work towards this motif and I was surprised at how much disappointment I felt because I honestly did not even think that this motif would not include Katana style weapons.

For visual a reference, I've taken 2 images posted by @Crown in his thread in the crafting section. They are rather large, so I've placed them in a spoiler.
kahvraR.png
1iPrOJ3.png

Before I get into my suggestion to remedy this, I'm aware that we may not know what's planned in future for other styles and that Katanas may show up eventually. But I guess this is why I'm posting this thread, due to a lack of info. about why this motif doesn't include the katana style swords and in truth I never expected to have to make a thread about this. Perhaps there was miscommunication during the design process? Who knows and that doesn't matter now. What does matter is making developers aware of when something has perhaps been misinterpreted and looks wrong as a result.

So anyway, I'm aware that in the past the Orc and Redguard armour styles were redesigned and this brings me to my suggestion. We could offer that they redesign these swords to properly fit the Akaviri style and of course I'd love that. But instead of taking away the sword styles as they are now, they could be left in and alternatively they could create in addition "Crafting Motifs 18, Chapter 15: Akaviri Katanas" to encompass the Katana(1h) and Dai-katana(2h) style we were expecting. It could also be implemented to be a separate Gold Motif and be a lot rarer or more expensive, but I'll just stick with seeing if we can get any developer feedback on the design first.

Again I was surprised at how strongly I felt about the katana style being omitted from the Akaviri Motif and I hope this can be resolved in future, thanks for reading!

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert

Edit: Providing links to other informative posts I have made within this thread.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/comment/2379961/#Comment_2379961

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/comment/2388547/#Comment_2388547
Edited by Kuroinu on October 28, 2015 4:19PM
  • Gaiden'Densetsu
    Gaiden'Densetsu
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, those swords look terrible.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I wont say theyre terrible. Seems like a wasted opportunity to add your opinion to the situation here as this isnt constructive at all. But for me, I feel the way the OP does. The swords look out of place for the style. Theres nothing special or different about them even though they should be different.

I add my +1 to this thread. Id like the swords to be changed visually to a more Katana like weapon to better suite the Akaviri design philosophy.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Tommy1979AtWar
    Tommy1979AtWar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, those swords just don't match that style of armour at all.
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm with you on this. Great alternative idea, too. They wouldn't have to change anything, just Add to it.
    Not like Katana models aren't already in-game.
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't be a bad idea at all to have a separate motif for Katanas. ZOS seems to love the crown store thing so after a month or so they could put it in there too. For those who are not familiar with Akaviri Katanas here you go- Dragonbane from Skyrim:

sr-item-dragonbane.jpg
  • Gaiden'Densetsu
    Gaiden'Densetsu
    ✭✭✭

I wont say theyre terrible. Seems like a wasted opportunity to add your opinion to the situation here as this isnt constructive at all. But for me, I feel the way the OP does. The swords look out of place for the style. Theres nothing special or different about them even though they should be different.

I add my +1 to this thread. Id like the swords to be changed visually to a more Katana like weapon to better suite the Akaviri design philosophy.

I stand by what I said, I don't feel like going through the styles right now but doesn't it look very similar to another sword we already have.

Found it, look at the imperial sword and then look at this new one.

Edited by Gaiden'Densetsu on October 25, 2015 12:04AM
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard in a thread from the PTS section of the forums that the Dark Brotherhood Motifs coming with that specific DLC looked like they had katana styled weapons, but I don't remember ever seeing any info on this at all. So I'll stop the speculating there.

But even if that may be the case, this still doesn't change the situation we have here with the Akaviri sword styles not being properly represented in this motif.
  • Teiji
    Teiji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard in a thread from the PTS section of the forums that the Dark Brotherhood Motifs coming with that specific DLC looked like they had katana styled weapons, but I don't remember ever seeing any info on this at all. So I'll stop the speculating there.

But even if that may be the case, this still doesn't change the situation we have here with the Akaviri sword styles not being properly represented in this motif.

eso-dark-brotherhood-weapon-set.jpg

Dark Brotherhood weapons; courtesy of dulfy.net, images from Quakecon 2014.
    "Serving Boethiah is Freedom, embracing heroism is Liberty, existing solely for noxiphilic sanguivoria is truth." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

European megaserver Fallout 4

Loyalist of Boethiah, heroism enthusiast, exposer of secrets, bless'ed of noxiphilic sanguivoria.

Nerf one grind, two more take its place; hail Gryndra!

I am a dank memer and satire enthusiast
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teiji wrote: »

eso-dark-brotherhood-weapon-set.jpg

Dark Brotherhood weapons; courtesy of dulfy.net, images from Quakecon 2014.

Well those weapons do look interesting, but I can't quite say they're katanas. They look more like elongated "Blades of Woe"; a unique dagger specific to the Dark Brotherhood. In fact you can see it in this picture of the dagger styles exactly.
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO
    Sigh, do SOME research before you post a thread. The first tier of Akaviri weapons ARE katanas/dai-katanas. The second tier is almost identical to the second tier Dark Brotherhood swords shown above. The picture you posted is only of the third/final tier.

Make an iron Akaviri sword, you'll see.
    Edited by elias.stormneb18_ESO on October 25, 2015 10:40AM
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh, do SOME research before you post a thread. The first tier of Akaviri weapons ARE katanas/dai-katanas. The second tier is almost identical to the second tier Dark Brotherhood swords shown above. The picture you posted is only of the third/final tier.

@elias.stormneb18_ESO - I don't quite understand the 3 tiers and how you would choose which style to make. Do you mean as you improve a weapon or as you level higher and use different materials the tiers change? I've crafted many weapons but I haven't noticed this much, besides a little when you improve a weapon.

Either way, this is inconsistent for the style to switch between making katanas or swords depending on quality or level of item if I'm understand this correctly. You say the final tier is a sword/greatsword model? For me that's still a problem.
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO

@elias.stormneb18_ESO - I don't quite understand the 3 tiers and how you would choose which style to make. Do you mean as you improve a weapon or as you level higher and use different materials the tiers change? I've crafted many weapons but I haven't noticed this much, besides a little when you improve a weapon.

Either way, this is inconsistent for the style to switch between making katanas or swords depending on quality or level of item if I'm understand this correctly. You say the final tier is a sword/greatsword model? For me that's still a problem.
    A weapon or Armour piece changes appearance depending on the material used. For example a Voidsteel Breton gratsword looks different from a steel one. That is what tiers are, different appearances of weapons of the same style, mostly depending on material, but sometimes on if its fine of legendary.

Despite the common misconception, there is no one Akaviri race. Akavir is a continent and is home to many races and cultures. The different tiers likely represent different Akaviri cultures.
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A weapon or Armour piece changes appearance depending on the material used. For example a Voidsteel Breton gratsword looks different from a steel one. That is what tiers are, different appearances of weapons of the same style, mostly depending on material, but sometimes on if its fine of legendary.

Despite the common misconception, there is no one Akaviri race. Akavir is a continent and is home to many races and cultures. The different tiers likely represent different Akaviri cultures.

While your last statement is true. This problem I have is still there and that's the Akaviri style switching from katana to sword depending on weapon level or quality. You know that most were looking forward to crafting the katana style weapons and that having this style at a lower tier means nothing if you can't also have it as the highest tier.

I hope you can understand this. It's the first time this has happened or at least the first time it's been so apparent; that the style changes drastically depending on level or quality. I hope that somehow the katana style you mentioned is also available as the final tier on the higher level weapons, else it is still like it does not exist.

The part you mention about the tiers perhaps relating to the different cultures may also be true, but a very weird decision to make. They would have done better to separate the Akaviri styles into different Akaviri racial motifs.
    Edited by Kuroinu on October 25, 2015 11:54AM
  • Van_0S
    Van_0S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't support ZOS for this kind of behavoir .

If there is no katana's, then its a definite proof that their decisions have become bad to worst(I bet orsinium will be a huge let down).

I ask my self that am I playing the elder scroll or some damn MMO game.

Edit:
    :trollface:
    Edited by Van_0S on October 25, 2015 12:20PM
  • manny254
    manny254
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is this really that big of a deal? Of all the things to complain about this seems trivial at best.
    - Mojican
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO

While your last statement is true. This problem I have is still there and that's the Akaviri style switching from katana to sword depending on weapon level or quality. You know that most were looking forward to crafting the katana style weapons and that having this style at a lower tier means nothing if you can't also have it as the highest tier.

I hope you can understand this. It's the first time this has happened or at least the first time it's been so apparent; that the style changes drastically depending on level or quality. I hope that somehow the katana style you mentioned is also available as the final tier on the higher level weapons, else it is still like it does not exist.
    A katana is a sword, as much as a cutlass or claymore. I don't think that one can create an Akaviri katana out of Voidsteel or Rubedite. However the second tier sword, shield and bow can be bought in Cyrodiil for alliance points and they will scale to your level. The Lord's Longsword from the Lord's Mail set is an Akaviri katana and one can aquire VR 10 (if not higher level) versions of that set.

Edited by elias.stormneb18_ESO on October 25, 2015 12:03PM
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A katana is a sword, as much as a cutlass or claymore. I don't think that one can create an Akaviri katana out of Voidsteel or Rubedite. However the second tier sword, shield and bow can be bought in Cyrodiil for alliance points and they will scale to your level. The Lord's Longsword from the Lord's Mail set is an Akaviri katana and one can aquire VR 10 (if not higher level) versions of that set.

You are confusing yourself and I don't mean to sound rude. A katana is a style of sword. A cutlass or claymore are styles of swords. You go on to say that the material type would prevent the creation of such styles. Many weapons in the real world are made from different materials and this game is not the real world and therefore this should not be a problem.
  • Bloodgharm
    Bloodgharm
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat at the OP. I have been waiting for a craftable katana style sword to to make its way into the game since I started playing. Why...oh why would they make the highest tier Akaviri sword model just like any other type of sword? We already have at least 4 clones of the standard longsword model. We don't need another one. I can understand that there were multiple races in Akavir, but they could've made the typical medieval sword model one of the lower tiers and still given us something new and unique for the higher tiers.
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO

You are confusing yourself and I don't mean to sound rude. A katana is a style of sword. A cutlass or claymore are styles of swords. You go on to say that the material type would prevent the creation of such styles. Many weapons in the real world are made from different materials and this game is not the real world and therefore this should not be a problem.
    I actually just meant in-game, as a response to your question (wich wasn't an actual question, but nevermind). This could still be interesting though, as katanas are supposed to be very light, while the materials Voidsteel and Rubedite both are very heavy, but sturdy materials.

Edited by elias.stormneb18_ESO on October 25, 2015 12:15PM
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually just meant in-game, as a response to your question (wich wasn't an actual question, but nevermind). This could still be interesting though, as katanas are supposed to be very light, while the materials Voidsteel and Rubedite both are very heavy, but sturdy materials.

I won't debate over the use of materials to make such weapons, it's not an issue in this game.

But if you wish to get into detail about the weights of weapons, we can currently use over 100 ingots to make a Rubedite dagger and around same amount for a greatsword and sword. So the accuracy for weight in this game isn't at all there. Hence why I said this isn't an issue in my first sentence.

You seems to be assuming we can't make such items because they are meant to be light weight. If you want a good simple explanation for being able to use these materials to create katanas; then we would theoretically use less of the material in the process. I'm not going to explain this further, it's really not an issue like you're making it out to be.
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those swords are the same model as the fighters guild swords you get at level 43...

Nice as it is to be able to use the model at a higher level they really really don't fit that set.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lmao how many of these "give us katanas" thread are we going to get???
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen many to be honest, so try to refrain from exaggerating. The Akaviri swords in ESO are not consistent with what we know at least from Lore. I shouldn't even have to bring Lore into this. The swords in general do not match the armour style.
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO
    I haven't seen many to be honest, so try to refrain from exaggerating. The Akaviri swords in ESO are not consistent with what we know at least from Lore. I shouldn't even have to bring Lore into this. The swords in general do not match the armour style.
    I wasn't all that serous about the weapon weight and only brought it up because you did. The appearances of the items fit perfectly with the lore, as it IS lore, it is "canon". Claiming its not in line with lore is ridicolus and blatantly stupid. It is also idiotic to assume that the Kamal would use weapons or armour that are even similar to that of the Tsaesci or Ka Po' Tun. You are actually starting to annoy me.
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't all that serous about the weapon weight and only brought it up because you did. The appearances of the items fit perfectly with the lore, as it IS lore, it is "canon". Claiming its not in line with lore is ridicolus and blatantly stupid. It is also idiotic to assume that the Kamal would use weapons or armour that are even similar to that of the Tsaesci or Ka Po' Tun. You are actually starting to annoy me.

I knew someone would jump on the fact that I used the word lore. I never wanted to reference it because I'm aware of how flexible lore can be. I'll make it clear that I don't mind the current swords existing within this game and I'm not saying they are "lore-breaking".

The current style is just not what many have come to expect from this motif, it's glaring obvious and many do agree with this. I said in a previous post that they would have done better to separate the different Akaviri racial styles into their own motifs and not a "catch all" motif that this seems to be.

I apologize if I've been overly rude with you elias and somewhere in our discussion we seem to have had a miscommunication about what I'm trying to point out here. I'm not claiming anything is breaking lore, I'm pointing out how underwhelming this motif has become to me because of how it has been handled in the design process. I also said this in my original post.
  • ZOS_RiedL
    Hello there,

Please keep in mind that, per our Community Code of Conduct, it is never acceptable to insult other members of the community, and that even heated discussions should remain constructive and civil.
    We would like to keep this discussion open, so we encourage everyone to please be respectful of one another’s opinions
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Moderation Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | Base de connaissance ESO

Staff Post
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_RiedL wrote: »
    Hello there,

Please keep in mind that, per our Community Code of Conduct, it is never acceptable to insult other members of the community, and that even heated discussions should remain constructive and civil.
    We would like to keep this discussion open, so we encourage everyone to please be respectful of one another’s opinions

Damn it RiedL, you got me excited for a moment lol. But thanks for posting this!
    Edited by Kuroinu on October 25, 2015 9:09PM
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO

I knew someone would jump on the fact that I used the word lore. I never wanted to reference it because I'm aware of how flexible lore can be. I'll make it clear that I don't mind the current swords existing within this game and I'm not saying they are "lore-breaking".

The current style is just not what many have come to expect from this motif, it's glaring obvious and many do agree with this. I said in a previous post that they would have done better to separate the different Akaviri racial styles into their own motifs and not a "catch all" motif that this seems to be.

I apologize if I've been overly rude with you elias and somewhere in our discussion we seem to have had a miscommunication about what I'm trying to point out here. I'm not claiming anything is breaking lore, I'm pointing out how underwhelming this motif has become to me because of how it has been handled in the design process. I also said this in my original post.
    It's fine, if you wish to continue this discussion it will hereby be civilised and calm, accompanied with a cup of tea (oh, that reminds me...). Thank you for reminding us @ZOS_RiedL.

Edited by elias.stormneb18_ESO on October 25, 2015 3:09PM
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @elias.stormneb18_ESO - I do want to continue this discussion because I'd like to expand on some things I have mentioned previously that you brought to my attention. Just give me a moment lol.
    Edited by Kuroinu on October 25, 2015 3:12PM
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO
    @elias.stormneb18_ESO - I do want to continue this discussion because I'd like to expand on some things I have mentioned previously that you brought to my attention. Just give me a moment lol.
    Yep, just do bear in mind I don't have much time. Half an hour at most.