Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

i dont understand how dual wield daggers

Artemisshrikes
Artemisshrikes
✭✭✭
help with a magic based Templar healer everyone is telling me to do it to boost magic which I'm all for but I just don't understand the logic of how this works
VR 16 Dragonknight Sarenvog (AD, Former Emperor)

Best Answer

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's about upping your spell damage stat. Spell damage is based on your weapon damage, plus modifiers (like anything that adds to it directly). Dual wielding gives you the highest weapon damage, therefore you get a higher spell damage stat. That affects the amount of healing your spells do.

The down side is that it means you have to rely on class heals, rather than mixing class & resto staff skills (and there are some good reasons to use some of those resto staff heals). Also you lose out on magicka replenishment, because you can't weave in heavy attacks to restore your magicka, and if you're a magicka build there's little point in slotting any dual wield skills. You could do dual wield on one bar that has your class heals/damage spells, and use resto staff on the other bar to use resto staff skills and replenish magicka when you're running low.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
    Answer ✓
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    if you use dual wield swords or a two handed greatsword the passive for those increases your dmg done by 6% 3% per solo sword and 6% for a great sword. I know a lot of magicka dps's use it but I have never heard of a healers using it. But again its the swords not the daggers.
  • Artemisshrikes
    Artemisshrikes
    ✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    It's about upping your spell damage stat. Spell damage is based on your weapon damage, plus modifiers (like anything that adds to it directly). Dual wielding gives you the highest weapon damage, therefore you get a higher spell damage stat. That affects the amount of healing your spells do.

The down side is that it means you have to rely on class heals, rather than mixing class & resto staff skills (and there are some good reasons to use some of those resto staff heals). Also you lose out on magicka replenishment, because you can't weave in heavy attacks to restore your magicka, and if you're a magicka build there's little point in slotting any dual wield skills. You could do dual wield on one bar that has your class heals/damage spells, and use resto staff on the other bar to use resto staff skills and replenish magicka when you're running low.

I use combat prayer
    VR 16 Dragonknight Sarenvog (AD, Former Emperor)
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »

I use combat prayer
    Yeah, personally with my templar healer I like to use a resto staff on both bars, because I like to use a mix of class heals and resto staff heals, and I like being able to replenish my magicka with heavy attacks without having to swap bars, as well as weaving in attacks from range to build ultimate. I understand the theory behind doing a templar healer with dual wield, but in practice it just wouldn't work with my play style, so I don't do it. Combat prayer is a good example of a resto staff skill that is very useful for any healer, even a templar with good class heals to rely on.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Reeko
    Reeko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use Swords not Daggers.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O.o healers usually, not always wear 1 resto and 1 destro, for the purpose of magicka resource management.

Resto = siphon spirit (grants magicka) and combat prayer (boosts dps).
    Destro = Elemental Drain (grants magicka) and Crushing Shock (lets you interrupt casting targets, such as enemy healers and archers).

Dual Wielding swords will improve your spell damage, but you can not use resto staff skills on that bar. 2 Handed will boost your damage, but you can not use resto staff skills on that bar either. << It's only recomended if you actually do damage while you heal, that way you can benefit from the extra damage you will be able to do.

Usually you equipt 1 resto staff for healing and in worst case magicka gain with heavy attacks...and either DW or 2handed as your secondary bar for doing damage.

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    magic based Templar healer

This^ should be Resto/Destro.....ALWAYS. Don't let ppl fool you ;)

The dual wield thing is great for magicka DD.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Usara
    Usara
    ✭✭✭✭
    On top of the fact that templar healers don't actually need that much spell power, it's far more efficient to manage the resources of the actual DD's of the group.

I did try using 2 swords at the IC DLC. Felt useless. Yeah, I had a bit more spell power but what for ? I dealt 1k+ more dps with my Spear Shards.

Now when keeping Elemental Drain for my DKs and Sorcs, they don't waste time casting it and DK don't have to worry about their resource anymore :)
    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Usara v531 - Usara2 v322 - Escouade Sauvage - PC - EU - EP

Usara Den Thasnet - Retainer of House Hlaalu (Dunmer Templar, heal)
    Livia Augustus - Deserter of the Imperial 7th Legion (Imperial DK, tank)
    Aspen Vael - Battlemage of King Casimir III (Breton Sorcerer, tank/dd magicka)
    Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Chante-avec-les-escargots - House Hlaalu snail breeder (Argonian NB, tank)
    Ryl Serandas - Mournhold Ordinator (Dunmer DK, dd magicka)
    Dar'Aiean - House Hlaalu Smuggler (Khajiit NB, dd stamina)
    Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
    Torafhilde Frostdottir - Winterhold Cryomancer (Nord Sorcerer, dd magicka)
    Senecar - Daedra hunter, former Thalmor corps (Altmer Templar, dd magicka)
    Ondres Hlaalu - House Hlaalu Skooma Trader (Dunmer NB, dd magicka)
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reeko wrote: »
    Use Swords not Daggers.

Daggers for crit, I thought. Maybe I'll have to look again.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Reeko wrote: »
    Use Swords not Daggers.

Daggers for crit, I thought. Maybe I'll have to look again.

Daggers add more to weapon crit, which is useless for a magicka build... so people use swords with precise trait, because the trait also applies to spell crit :3

Alternatively nirnhoon traited swords, to add to spell penetration and spell resistance.