Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Cyrodiil performance

Docmandu
Docmandu
✭✭✭✭✭
With action returning to Cyrodiil on some campaigns, it's a time to look at the performance improvements 2.1 brought...

The Good

It's MUCH improved. You no longer have 60+ seconds of trying to spam skills and nothing happening.

The Bad

It's still nowhere near where it should be. While it's not 60+ seconds anymore, it might still take 4-5 keypresses for stuff to register and the ability lag is very noticeable at times, to the point of it being unplayable.
Also seems the FPS indicator doesn't really tell the whole story.. I've only had it shoot up to 300-500 range a few times, but even when it's around 100 with many people (ie. zerg ***) around, the game is very unresponsive.

I doubt it's my own hardware at fault. (i7 4790K, GTX980, 200mbit cable) -- addons disabled, router rebooted :blush:
(yesterday on PC/EU Azura the ability lag was quite severe.. but it was a lot of people.. ie 3-way fights with a couple of zerg balls running around)

But as I said.. it's already a huge improvement over the 1.6 lagouts! Let's hope we can expect a few more improvements.

• RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen no difference. It still lags where it always lags, and the ESO client is still as poorly optimized as it always was.

Its a shame they won't give us PC users the multi-threaded Xbox One version of the game. As the Xbox One/PS4 with a 8 core 1.6 Ghz cpu can run this game as well as an i5-4690k because the console version actually uses all 8 cores and isn't so single threaded bound.

The only reason you haven't seen lagouts yet is because the groups who used to really lag haven't finished their sewer grinds yet...give it another month...when all those folks are done....be just like it was in 1.6 probably minus the meteors as the meteors was only a small part of what was causing the lag in the 1st place.

Look at properly multi-threaded game Engines like the Cryengine...it will put 70%+ loads on as many cores as you can give it, and it will feed your GPU's all they can handle...the poor optimization here with ESO causes it to buckle because it doesn't take advantage of all those cpu cores most people have to feed things and FPS goes with it. Ahh maybe one day we can dream of getting the real multi-threaded client the consoles got because thats the only way that game could possibly run so well with the limited cpu they have.
    Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on October 2, 2015 2:27PM
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

Options
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    We are still looking into more adjustments and plan on implementing those during incremental patches. Performance adjustments are ongoing and we are aware that even though population has spread out between Imperial City, Cyrodiil and the Sewers, there are still improvements to make.
    Wheeler
    ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
    Options
    Staff Post
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are still looking into more adjustments and plan on implementing those during incremental patches. Performance adjustments are ongoing and we are aware that even though population has spread out between Imperial City, Cyrodiil and the Sewers, there are still improvements to make.

Thank you Brian. I appreciate you guys are still looking into ways to make it better. I apologize if i come across as harsh sometimes, but the ESO community is lucky to have you as a dev. You are one of the few who actually do go out of their way to communicate with us on a regular basis and you without a doubt care about this game and its players. So i just want to say thank, I appreciate all your efforts. I hope your weekend is a great one! :)
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

Options
  • xylena
    xylena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler please re-buff siege engines, they're doing wet noodle damage again...5k fire ballista shots and 3k oil ticks against 30 zergling heal/purge spammers with 30k battle-leveled health... simply not even worth taking a potion off my quickbar for siege right now
    Retired until we break the Tank Meta
    Options
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xylena wrote: »
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler please re-buff siege engines, they're doing wet noodle damage again...5k fire ballista shots and 3k oil ticks against 30 zergling heal/purge spammers with 30k battle-leveled health... simply not even worth taking a potion off my quickbar for siege right now

After all the conversation about this the last time they redid siege damage I am flabbergasted we have to go through it again. Either fix it once and for all or take it all out of the game except for stone trebs and be done with it.

Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
    Options
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't experienced any issues with latency on Trueflame NA PC, but the FPS dropping to 3 or lower is awful. Makes the game absolutely unplayable when your FPS is at that number. Other than that my pvp experience has been great since 2.1 dropped. Just really hoping you all can get a fix for the FPS soon!

Thank you!
    Options
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Psilent wrote: »

I haven't experienced any issues with latency on Trueflame NA PC, but the FPS dropping to 3 or lower is awful. Makes the game absolutely unplayable when your FPS is at that number. Other than that my pvp experience has been great since 2.1 dropped. Just really hoping you all can get a fix for the FPS soon!

Thank you!

FPS dropping to 3 is in many cases some outdated / bad addon. ie. addons like Combat Analytics don't work too well on 2.1 and cause these kinds of FPS stalls.
    Options
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel like lag has gotten worse, a lot worse. There doesn't even need to be fighting, I just need to get near a large group and I go from 60fps to 10and ping goes up.
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
    Options
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    Just for clarity sake as well; when we talk about server performance, we're talking about when you cast an ability or use your weapon and it registers no damage/effects at all or rubber-banding.
    Wheeler
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for clarity sake as well; when we talk about server performance, we're talking about when you cast an ability or use your weapon and it registers no damage/effects at all or rubber-banding.

Obviously our definition is considerably broader than yours and perhaps the mistake is on our part. Exact what terminology should we use when taking about FPS or Lag?

Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you!

The fps drops are latency related most likely.

Also lag is not better just different (atleast for me) it´s more of a stuttering now instead of using abilities that won´t register. Still with every ping/latency lag related stutter i get the beforementioned fps drops. Even with nothing on my screen and all addons deactivated: Lagspike means short fps drop.

Add in that there is only one campaign with action so you can´t evade the lagtrains anymore pvp playability since imperial city patch has gotten way worse for our whole grp. Why bother logging in and paying for a game when pvp on the only campaign is unplayable at primetime? (Maybe it´s better on US bc of the different timezones you got but on primetime EU 19 to 23 is unplayable with a 4ppl grp)
    Edited by Derra on October 2, 2015 3:30PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Thank you!

Also lag is not better just different (atleast for me) it´s more of a stuttering now instead of using abilities that won´t register. Still with every ping/latency lag related stutter i get the beforementioned fps drops. Even with nothing on my screen and all addons deactivated: Lagspike means short fps drop.

Add in that there is only one campaign with action so you can´t evade the lagtrains anymore pvp playability since imperial city patch has gotten way worse for our whole grp. Why bother logging in and paying for a game when pvp on the only campaign is unplayable at primetime? (Maybe it´s better on US bc of the different timezones you got but on primetime EU 19 to 23 is unplayable with a 4ppl grp)

When I activate a skill since 2.1 dropped, I've had no issues with it going off like it should; even in large keep battles. The issue I have is specifically related to FPS. Every large battle it drops down to 3 or lower.
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Thank you!

When I activate a skill since 2.1 dropped, I've had no issues with it going off like it should; even in large keep battles. The issue I have is specifically related to FPS. Every large battle it drops down to 3 or lower.

I used to have good performance (enough to register abilities.). Then I installed advance UI HUD add-on and my DPS is total crap. I'd look at your addons for the FPS issues. Ping rate is another story.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    When talking about issues with the client; they're usually things such as FPS loss or dropped frames.

When talking about "lag" or situations where you push a button/click the mouse and nothing happens, that's server performance. Staying stuck in one place or all the sudden warping forward or backward (rubber-banding) is also server performance.

Wheeler
    Options
    Staff Post
  • CN_Daniel
    CN_Daniel
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

I've got to admit, with my home 30mb connection, and good computer: I never have problems with low frame rate or anything similar. People in my groups still complain about it, but I don't see the problems they're seeing. If I'm out of town with bad hotel internet -- Yes, PVP is unplayable.

Do the minimum requirements for the game need to be adjusted? IE internet speed, etc
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When talking about issues with the client; they're usually things such as FPS loss or dropped frames.

When talking about "lag" or situations where you push a button/click the mouse and nothing happens, that's server performance. Staying stuck in one place or all the sudden warping forward or backward (rubber-banding) is also server performance.

Well the current problem atleast for ppl i´m playing with is: Server and Client issues seem related. When the server lags the fps drop (no not addon related).
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NPK Daniel wrote: »
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

I've got to admit, with my home 30mb connection, and good computer: I never have problems with low frame rate or anything similar. People in my groups still complain about it, but I don't see the problems they're seeing. If I'm out of town with bad hotel internet -- Yes, PVP is unplayable.

Do the minimum requirements for the game need to be adjusted? IE internet speed, etc

Patch notes for 1.6 should confirm the increase in minimum specs. No idea if 1.7 had the same treatment
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take it back...

Now that everybody is grown tired of IC and all you find in there is NBs looking for easy kills. Cyrodiil is buzzing again and unfortunately, the performance issues are just as severe as before.. different, but very much unplayable.

Skill abilities on Azura Star / EU almost take as long to fire as the loading screens!!
    Edited by Docmandu on October 10, 2015 4:14PM
    Options
  • Slaxis
    Slaxis
    ✭✭✭
    Lol did you honestly think ZOS fixed pvp
    Gm of Victorem
    Options
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Docmandu wrote: »
    I take it back...

Now that everybody is grown tired of IC and all you find in there is NBs looking for easy kills. Cyrodiil is buzzing again and unfortunately, the performance issues are just as severe as before.. different, but very much unplayable.

Skill abilities on Azura Star / EU almost take as long to fire as the loading screens!!

Not experiencing that on NA Azura. There's almost never lag, and when it does happen it's not unplayable just annoying. The biggest issue I have is the FPS drops, yeah.
    Options
  • rich.magab14a_ESO
    rich.magab14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen no difference. It still lags where it always lags, and the ESO client is still as poorly optimized as it always was.

Its a shame they won't give us PC users the multi-threaded Xbox One version of the game. As the Xbox One/PS4 with a 8 core 1.6 Ghz cpu can run this game as well as an i5-4690k because the console version actually uses all 8 cores and isn't so single threaded bound.

The only reason you haven't seen lagouts yet is because the groups who used to really lag haven't finished their sewer grinds yet...give it another month...when all those folks are done....be just like it was in 1.6 probably minus the meteors as the meteors was only a small part of what was causing the lag in the 1st place.

Look at properly multi-threaded game Engines like the Cryengine...it will put 70%+ loads on as many cores as you can give it, and it will feed your GPU's all they can handle...the poor optimization here with ESO causes it to buckle because it doesn't take advantage of all those cpu cores most people have to feed things and FPS goes with it. Ahh maybe one day we can dream of getting the real multi-threaded client the consoles got because thats the only way that game could possibly run so well with the limited cpu they have.
    The most likely reason for why we don't have multi threaded client is due to being able to play with mac users. IOS has always been behind with 64 bit clients and multi threading
    Loki Ironheart
    Loki Firespitter
    Gattica!!
    Options
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most likely reason for why we don't have multi threaded client is due to being able to play with mac users. IOS has always been behind with 64 bit clients and multi threading

I get that you're trying to troll ... but here's my clue bat anyway...

imperial_clue_bat.jpg
    Options
  • PainfulFAFA
    PainfulFAFA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slaxis wrote: »

this.

Their whole philosophy behind the performance issues i: spread them out lol

IC did spread us out and killed pvp in the process but for ZOS thats a win because theres no lag

oh zos...
    PC NA
    Aztec | AZTEC | Ahztec | Aztehk | Master of Mnem
    MagDK | Magplar | Magward | Mageblade | Stamsorc

Options
  • FireCowCommando
    FireCowCommando
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slaxis wrote: »

this.

Their whole philosophy behind the performance issues i: spread them out lol

IC did spread us out and killed pvp in the process but for ZOS thats a win because theres no lag

oh zos...

phase 2 is adding CP caps to convince the people who spend a lot of time in game to do something else with their time :smile:
    Options
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep that's the issue. I've played so much in the IC that I shrugged off complaints I heard about "lag" I figured they were talking latency. After ruturnign to Cyrodiil proper bit this week FPS drops were the first thing I noticed. Lastnight I was dipping from 60 to 8 fps with my client getting as big as 2.5 gigs. It honestly reminded me of 1.2 but the difference was that FPS would eventually go back up after the battles.
    Options
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope we hit

Drunken_2a5a78_200559.jpg

..but you never know what happens the next day.

The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
    Options
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil is as underperforming as ever. Which is hardly a surprise, there has been no change in amount of messaging server and clients have to process, players still spam skills continuously and moreover are rewarded if they manage to squeeze several spells into a time frame it would normally take to display one, i.e. for animation cancelling.
    Edited by JamilaRaj on October 11, 2015 9:03PM
    Options
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still laggy as all heck. Only reason it felt better when IC launched was b/c so many were in IC, now that IC is dead and Cyro fighting is returning to normal, the lag is back.

Though if they addressed zerging it would fix a lot.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
    Options
  • Medivh50
    Medivh50
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure why this is any issue still. Devs should concentrate all there energy and resources into fixing Cyrodiil lag issues. We DO NOT need any other new expansion, zone, area, town, or NPC until these issues are resloved.

I am sure the PVE guys, will pull their hair out when I mention this but PvP and AvA is the life blood of this game. It what makes players come back to ESO. It creates competition, cooperation, teamwork, yata yata yata. It is why I came back. It is why I think THIS MMO could the most successful game behind WoW.

Stam Sorc ~ Ride Simpletree
    Pet Sorc ~ Scrupulous Simpletree
    Mag Warden ~ Sinister Simpletree
    Necro ~ Mystic Simpletree

"I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee."
    —Every single guard, everywhere.
    Options
  • Medivh50
    Medivh50
    ✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    now that IC is dead and Cyro fighting is returning to normal, the lag is back.

Though if they addressed zerging it would fix a lot.

Sorry dude, the zerging is an intraget part of the game. It is this game's style of PvP. If you want a more traditional style of pvp go into the Sewers and IC.
    Stam Sorc ~ Ride Simpletree
    Pet Sorc ~ Scrupulous Simpletree
    Mag Warden ~ Sinister Simpletree
    Necro ~ Mystic Simpletree

"I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee."
    —Every single guard, everywhere.
    Options