The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Igneous / Fragmented Shields are now useless - please re-evaluate.

trimsic_ESO
trimsic_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Igneous Shield and Fragmented Shields are damage shields that scale off health. The value of the damage shield is about 7.5% of the maximum HP of the caster for his allies, and 15% for the caster.

So, let's imagine that the DK who cast the spells has:
- 30k HP - melee / support role - the value of the damage shield is 4k4 for the DK, 2k2 for his allies
- 45k HP - melee / tank role - the value of the damage shield is 6k8 for the DK, 3k4 for this allies.

When you know that biting jabs or puncturing sweep can hit you for 6-7k damage for instance, then you realize how useless Igneous Shield or Fragmented Shields are. These damage shields need to be re-evaluated. On the PTS, I've removed them from by bar.

IMHO, damage shields that scale off health should not have 50% reduction penalty in PvP. When a damage shield scales off health, it grants a protection that suits the needs of a tank that won't deal much damage. On the contrary, damage shields that scale off magicka should have the 50% penalty, because they suit the needs of DPS casters who already deal a decent damage with their spells.

Please, re-evaluate Igneous / Fragmented Shields. And possibly please, re-align the damage shields mechanics in general, so they all scale of health instead of magicka, and in that case without the 50% penalty in PvP.

• ThyIronFist
    ThyIronFist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknights are now useless*

There, fixed that for you.
    The Elder Zergs Online
    Sainur Ironfist - DK - EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Retired
  • Draehl
    Draehl
    ✭✭✭
    Well said. I maintain the issue was never shields, but rather regen rates being too high in pvp, allowing for the near endless spamming of said shields.
    Main: Breton Nightblade "Shadow Cleric" (Sustained Damage/offhealer) 5L/2H - Resto + S&B
    Alt: Argonian Dragonknight (Stam DoTs/Tank) 5H/2M - S&B + Bow
    Alt: Nord Templar Berserker (Rawr) 5M/2H - Dual Wield + Two Hander
    Alt: Altmer Sorceror (Pewpew) 7L - Destro + Resto
  • trimsic_ESO
    trimsic_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknights are now useless*

There, fixed that for you.

I hope there are not useless as I spent countless hours on my DK. But they surely need a love.

As a side note though, yesterday it took me about 5 hours to complete the daily 20 DK kills in cyrodiil. I was playing in a raid of 15 people, against enemy raids of the same size, and we almost won all our fights. Still, it took me 5 hours to complete the quest.

So, how many DK are left in the game ? :(

• Burnworthy
    Burnworthy
    Soul Shriven
    I felt like i was the only person that saw how laughable that skill is now.
    - VEHEMENCE -
    Kaygan Burnworthy - V14 Dragonknight, DC
    Burnworthy - V14 Sorcerer, EP
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think this is appropriate.

McFIBMA.jpg
    :]
  • Auricle
    Auricle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It figures. The one class I spend the most time on gets the shaft as soon as the DLC I was most looking forward to comes out. The irony, oh how it burns me. T_T

I guess I'll go work on a NB now, like all the other disillusioned DKs.
  • trimsic_ESO
    trimsic_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auricle wrote: »

This is actually what some people I know of are doing: retiring their DK and re-rolling a NB. But that's not the solution I guess :(

Edited by trimsic_ESO on August 16, 2015 8:35PM
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's useless as a damage shield sure, but it is still one of the strongest skills in the game, 30% increased healing done is massive, and very useful for all builds. 30% stronger Vigor or Healing Springs? Yes please.
    Edited by Zsymon on August 16, 2015 8:44PM
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember, a lot of people said that they will stop their current class and try an another because of nerf in the 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6. ESO's symbol is an ouroboros, after all.

Perhaps one day ZOS will learn to balanced his game. And perhaps some people (not all people, most of the whining are justified) will learn to play and enjoy the game.
    Perhaps.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because nbs have such amazing damage shields? *troll*

PC EU
    PvP only
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Igneous shield 30% incoming healing best buff ingame atm....
  • Akavir_Sentinel
    Akavir_Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    glavius wrote: »

^ This passive right here is the best, and probably only, reason to use the skill. I use it in conjunction with Coagulated Blood to receive massive heals, in addition to heavy armor passives and Champion Points in certain areas.

With my build, the listed 5-piece 12k heal from my Juggernaut set becomes a 45k heal :)
    Can't find the items you are looking for? Need a place to trade? We welcome ESO players of all platforms at ESO Trade, the home for trading of goods and services in the lands of Tamriel.
  • Burnworthy
    Burnworthy
    Soul Shriven

Which is reduced further in 1.7. A double nerf for this ability.
    - VEHEMENCE -
    Kaygan Burnworthy - V14 Dragonknight, DC
    Burnworthy - V14 Sorcerer, EP
  • Akavir_Sentinel
    Akavir_Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burnworthy wrote: »

Only if you PvP. If you use it in PvE it's still a huge boost to healing.
    Can't find the items you are looking for? Need a place to trade? We welcome ESO players of all platforms at ESO Trade, the home for trading of goods and services in the lands of Tamriel.
  • hammayolettuce
    hammayolettuce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are better shields that aren't class based, but they cost a LOT of stamina- which is pretty cruel on ZOS's part because of the nerf to regen. Now I can either block or cast a shield. Not both.
    Snü (Magicka DK) ♥ Thnu (Stamplar) ♥ Pizza for Breakfast (Magplar) ♥ Sparklefingers (Magicka Sorc) ♥
    Bean and Cheese Burrito (Magicka DK) ♥ Snurrito (Stamplar) ♥
    DARFAL COVANT
  • Draehl
    Draehl
    ✭✭✭
    Burnworthy wrote: »

Only if you PvP. If you use it in PvE it's still a huge boost to healing.

This thread is about PvP...
    Main: Breton Nightblade "Shadow Cleric" (Sustained Damage/offhealer) 5L/2H - Resto + S&B
    Alt: Argonian Dragonknight (Stam DoTs/Tank) 5H/2M - S&B + Bow
    Alt: Nord Templar Berserker (Rawr) 5M/2H - Dual Wield + Two Hander
    Alt: Altmer Sorceror (Pewpew) 7L - Destro + Resto
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You use Igneous shield as a shield? I use it for healing cause you know 30% boost to healing the actual shield is just a small bonus.
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK's are totally useless in pvp, has been for a while now. thank's dev team, you talk about not overnerfing stuff but you've done the latter.
    Edited by tordr86b16_ESO on August 16, 2015 9:51PM
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I understand it, the ratios of nerfs to damage and shield are exactly the same. Isn't this skill just as useful on PTS as live, with the exception of massively buffed mobs in IC?

A 30% healing buff is exactly as good in 1.6 as 1.7. When you put out a heal, it's 30% larger

I tested PTS sorc and got about an 6.8k ward with 30k magicka. That spell only shields the caster, and no buff.

I suppose we can argue the usefulness of the buff and group shields and come up with a % worth for that, but the devs seem to think that igneous shield should only have 66% the value of hardened ward. And if they fix the overflow bug, then IMO they are right
  • Teiji
    Teiji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It figures. The one class I spend the most time on gets the shaft as soon as the DLC I was most looking forward to comes out. The irony, oh how it burns me. T_T

We are dragon knights. We are dragons.
    If you attack us, you will meet talons.
    If you strike us, you will eat spikes.
    If you injure us, our wounds will close.
    If you anger us, you will burn.
    If you run from us, we will pounce upon you.
    You cannot win. We cannot lose.
    We are dragon knights. We are dragons.

Do not lose heart, friend! Like the Phoenix we shall arrise from the ashes born through the whims of the lord of game design Eric, when Templar instead of Nightblade becomes his favourite class ready for Update 9!

Dragonknight's do not have a stamina single-target DPS ability which isn't ignored by damage shields, the reason for this I have been led to believe is because Dragonknights are not a favourite class amongst certain individuals.

Paul Sage's favourite class was Dragonknight, he was only intending to play ESO on xbox too. Now he's gone.

"So how about these potential stamina morph Sorcerer changes?"
    "Seriously? Heh, okay sure, let's nerf Derp knight and buff Epicblade."

/leaves
    "Serving Boethiah is Freedom, embracing heroism is Liberty, existing solely for noxiphilic sanguivoria is truth." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

European megaserver Fallout 4

Loyalist of Boethiah, heroism enthusiast, exposer of secrets, bless'ed of noxiphilic sanguivoria.

Nerf one grind, two more take its place; hail Gryndra!

I am a dank memer and satire enthusiast
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Igneous shield is double nerfed compared to magicka based shields. After 1.6 health took a huge hit lowering shields, then again in 1.7 via even more global nerfs. WHY? Unlike magicka shields you have to actually lose dps for survivability.

Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree, shields that scale off health need a decent buff.

DKs and Temps with damage builds need to gain more from their shields but tanky builds shouldnt be unkillable if they stack health. Solution, increase the base value of shields that scale off health and reduce the up scaling.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DKs and Temps with damage builds need to gain more from their shields but tanky builds shouldnt be unkillable if they stack health. Solution, increase the base value of shields that scale off health and reduce the up scaling.

They should give health shields a base value and add a small percentage the higher the health is.
    I don't agree, Templar and Dragonknights should have strong class shields unless they are tanks, because both are shields for tanks. But seems like it's pointless to argue about that, so giving both shields a base value makes them attractive for average health players and still do what they are supposed to do actually: Helping tanks with full health.
    Edited by Dracane on August 17, 2015 12:12AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is actually what some people I know of are doing: retiring their DK and re-rolling a NB. But that's not the solution I guess :(

Yeah reroll NB when next update is coming very soon, try to roll forever then (or twoshot ppl) and become very disapointed :trollface:
    EU | PC
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

They should give health shields a base value and add a small percentage the higher the health is.
    I don't agree, Templar and Dragonknights should have strong class shields unless they are tanks, because both are shields for tanks. But seems like it's pointless to argue about that, so giving both shields a base value makes them attractive for average health players and still do what they are supposed to do actually: Helping tanks with full health.

Why should they only help tanks? Not every DK/templar wants to be a tank. Just pointing that out.
    Sooo if they are not tanks, they shall have tiny damage shields? :D Doesn't make sense.

topic: ZOS nerfed all damage shields across the board to deal with shieldstacking (which only 1 class does really good compared to the others) and probably didn't even think about DK/temp shields. Hopefully they buff them up in the future, or give them other benefits.
    EU | PC
  • silky_soft
    silky_soft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master_Kas wrote: »
    /snip

topic: ZOS nerfed all damage shields across the board to deal with shieldstacking (which only 1 class does really good compared to the others) and probably didn't even think about DK/temp shields. Hopefully they buff them up in the future, or give them other benefits.

Or they could of just done this. Scale off HP and if a shield is up and you recast before it gets removed 33% cost increase. Then either Limit max shields to max hp (barrier ulti being exception, but does not stack) or limit to 150% of hp and make them critable.
    Edited by silky_soft on August 17, 2015 1:33AM
    Here $15, goat mount please. Not paying 45 : lol :
    Netch is free with a cleanse and free magika. You nerf siphon into the ground. Nice balance team.
    How do you go home every night and say, I did a great job at work today. You actually do your job properly.
    Step 1: roll templar. Step 2: level up jabs. Step 3: slap on weapon damage build. Step 4: que for bg. Step 5: leap...jabsjabsjabsjabs
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tentatively agreeing, these shields were not performing well enough for me on PTS and will likely be off my bar until they are reevaluated. Might be able to get something more cost-effective for mitigation, we'll see, or maybe even a damage booster that costs magicka. I want to try out Igneous Weapons (since I love heavy attacking) but idk 8 seconds seems awfully short. Heck, I almost considered taking out Green Dragon Blood until I remembered that sweet sweet stam regen, and the fact that the less-bursty gameplay means you can time it better to get the most out of it... dunno though.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's quite obvious that the devs just want everyone to play Nightblade.
    They are currently the only class really worth playing.
    I can't wait until I enter the game and don't see anyone even though there are hundreds online.
    Everyone too scared to stand up or get on their horse in case of a two second death out of stealth.
    Oh what fun we all have ahead of us.
  • Ryuho
    Ryuho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

Good idea.
    The Farron family team (EU)
    sorcerer - Rubeus Farron AR31
    templar - Selene Farron AR27
    nightblade - Ryuho Farron AR25
    stamplar - Nura Farron AR10
    stamsorcerer - Kitty Farron AR14 (adopted member)
    DK - Ryu Farron AR17

RETIRED

CU - next mmo
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Igneous +60% heal in pvp area enough said