The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Major BUG: Certain abilities get PVP penalty twice, and become useless.

monkeymystic
monkeymystic
✭✭✭✭✭
Many abilities that have both a damage part and a healing part gets hit by the 50% PVP reduction TWICE, making the ability nerfed twice has hard as intended in PVP.

Examples are Templars Puncturing Sweep which now heals for nothing due to 50% dmg penalty AND 50% healing penalty on the heal based on damage afterwards, making the healing part get nerfed twice.

Abilities tested so far that suffer from this is BUG:
  • NB: Swallowing Soul/Funnel Health (key ability and HoT is now useless due to 2x penalty), Soul Tether (needs more testing).
  • Templar: Blazing Shield, Puncturing Sweep (both key abilities that become useless in dmg return and heal return, respectively)
  • DK: Draw Essence (Now a joke), Burning Embers.
  • Sorc: Surge.
  • Other skills: Healing ward ++

There are still probably many more abilities affected by this.

This NEEDS to be fixed, or it screws royally over balance compared to abilities like Flame Lash, where the healing part does NOT get penalty twice because it is not factored based on damage, another factor etc.

SOLUTION TO FIX: Either fix the penalty hitting twice, or make each factor separate from each other in the abilities mentioned. Instead of for example "heal 25% of damage done", change it to a seperate factor that scales the same way (so it heals the same) but does not rely on dmg done for 2x penalties.
  • Etaniel
    Etaniel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't call it a bug, I'd call it a design failure.
    It's precisely why they should have tweaked skills individually instead of applying a big fat 30% nerf to everything.
    Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

• Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is sap essence ? Have you test it?
    Signature

• Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Etaniel wrote: »
    It's precisely why they should have tweaked skills individually instead of applying a big fat 30% nerf to everything.
    Agree with your conclusion but am apprehensive with your solution. Making these skills behave differently by adjusting their specifics to compensate for the universal double 50% debuff would make them borderline for PvE. This needs to be considered for any changes.

A possible solution would be to exclude the "healing based on damage done" abilities from the healing reduction debuff, not sure if that is possible code wise.
    Edited by Leandor on July 31, 2015 1:33PM
  • Kulvar
    Kulvar
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not a design failure, but "heal based on damages" should work separately from regular damage or heal.
    Coward Argonian scholar of the Ebonheart Pact
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many abilities that have both a damage part and a healing part gets hit by the 50% PVP reduction TWICE, making the ability nerfed twice has hard as intended in PVP.

Examples are Templars Puncturing Sweep which now heals for nothing due to 50% dmg penalty AND 50% healing penalty on the heal based on damage afterwards, making the healing part get nerfed twice.

Other abilities tested so far that suffer from this is BUG:

NB: Swallowing soul (Key ability and HoT is now useless due to 2x penalty), Soul Tether (needs more testing).

Templar: Blazing Shield, puncturing sweep (both key abilities that become useless in dmg return and heal return, respectively)

DK: Draw essence (Now a joke)

Sorc: Not yet tested.

This NEEDS to be fixed, or it screws royally over balance compared to abilities like Flame Lash, where the healing part does NOT get penalty twice because it is not factored based on damage, another factor etc.

I haven't tested it, but this would mean Burning Embers (DK ability) gets a nerf too, "35% of damage done when effect ends heals you". I assume on players this would get the double nerf too.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This probably applies to surge as well.

I hate that I have to deliberately point this out and hope it doesn't get overlooked when this sort of thing gets fixed. Stam sorcs are already underdogs without a useless surge.
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Hektik_V
    Hektik_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of addressing the individual abilities that needed to be fixed and nerfed ZOS applied a sweeping nerfbat to everything without thought to actual balancing.
    Das Hektik
    Hektik V
    Hektiksaurus
    Hekspawn

@HEKT1K
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it seems my blazing shield blows up on the first hit :(
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AidanF @ZOS_Gideon @ZOS_GinaBruno

There is still no official response to this? :/

It's a terrible game design failure/bug that will mess over balance in a BIG way for PVP.

Some classes rely a lot on abilities that have 2 seperate parts like these mentioned, both for survivability and dps, and when they get screwed over with 2 penalties, these classes, and these abilities are rendered 100% useless.

This should be fixed properly before live, or there is no point paying sub for a game that just killed 20% of the skills in the game with a bad design failure giving 50% penalty twice...

Edited by monkeymystic on July 31, 2015 6:31PM
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeap, when they first announced this silliness i point out that Mythic did this crap in Warhammer Online, and the only thing it did was unbalance things further.

• Kerioko
    Kerioko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another ability not mentioned much that is getting the double nerf is healing ward. With the way healing is, HoTs like funnel health and mutagen are useless, making healing ward and springs the only viable heals for non-Templar healers. Ward in almost useless in the fact you only get 50% of the shield, then 50% of the nerfed shields heal.

You should either get 100% shield with 50% heal, or 50% shield with 100% heal. As a NB healer, I can heal any content currently on live with funnel, mutegen, ward, and springs. Now with the way the new patch is, 2 of my 4 primary heals are double nerfed, and my half decent HoT is pretty much useless!
    Dinosaur Chicken Nuggets - Argonian mNB Tank/Heals (PVP)
    Strawberry Semifreddo - Dunmer mSorc DPS // Sunny D-Light - Breton mTemp Heals
    Peanut Butter Sandwich - Orc sDK DPS // Kellogg's Frosted Flakes - Argonian mWard Tank/Heals (PVE)
    Cor-Leonis
    friendship - integrity - perseverance
  • lathbury
    lathbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kerioko wrote: »
    Another ability not mentioned much that is getting the double nerf is healing ward. With the way healing is, HoTs like funnel health and mutagen are useless, making healing ward and springs the only viable heals for non-Templar healers. Ward in almost useless in the fact you only get 50% of the shield, then 50% of the nerfed shields heal.

You should either get 100% shield with 50% heal, or 50% shield with 100% heal. As a NB healer, I can heal any content currently on live with funnel, mutegen, ward, and springs. Now with the way the new patch is, 2 of my 4 primary heals are double nerfed, and my half decent HoT is pretty much useless!

this unless there are changes nb healers are no longer a thing
  • Stikato
    Stikato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, this is what happens when simplistic changes such as Update 7 are introduced. As others have stated, rather than addressing the root causes of too much damage / healing / etc (hint: it was removing soft caps) they are just attempting to fix the symptoms.
    Mordimus - Stam Sorc
  • monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kerioko wrote: »

This. @ZOS_GinaBruno still no response??

I can't believe ZOS might actually send this mess live.

They are just going to make it even more imbalanced, and they are seriously screwing over tons of skills with this programming fail.

ZOS, you do realise that with this nonsense, there are tons of examples, like you are making healing ward useless since 50% penalty kicks in TWICE = non templars will suck even more at healing in pvp. And balance is even worse.
    Or NB healers which get *all* of their healing nerfed twice..(they rely on funnel health and healing ward, and both get 2x penalties with this design failure).

Jesus what a mess this patch will be if they send this joke live. I see many subs going to quit if they kill their own game lile this (and just like mythic did with warhammer and idiotic changes like this)

Edited by monkeymystic on August 1, 2015 5:46AM
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something needs to be added to allow these abilities to function without getting double nerfed.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same thing with Radiant Glory - healing ticks in execute mode lower than enemy light attacks.
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I did test Funnel Health just now in PTS (NB, Vet 14, Mag Stat at 25k, no spell damage, no buffs-debuffs)
    DESHAAN: My damage against Giant Snake in Ghost Snake Vale was 3164 and the heal 1102 (no crit damage, no crit heal)
    CYRODIIL: My damage against Imperial Sergeant was 2933 and the heal was 544 (no crit damage, no crit heal)

My tooltip was in Deschaan and Cyrodill the same: Damage 3484 and heal 27%.

This is so incomprehendible...... that I do not speculate what the coding crew did perhaps wrong.... or what intentions where glitched... or not well enough thought through....

No clue at all.... but i just guesss... that this outcome was not intended... please ZOS say something about this :-)
    Edited by hrothbern on August 1, 2015 12:35PM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • Anazasi
    Anazasi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fix is pretty easy roll stamina build use stamina abilities and you can have massive damage. (sarcasm)

I really don't know how they are going to fix this, I don't think they know how they are going to fix this. I think I'm just shelfing my Templar and playing either DK or Sorc for now. Till something better comes along. Either that or just not play in Cryodiil.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it becomes pretty obvious no one at ZOS has passed a math class beyond the 5th class :(
    with how unable they are to emmulate even a simple thing like a 50% reduction to healing wards shield value.
    Edited by Tankqull on August 1, 2015 2:59PM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anazasi wrote: »
    The fix is pretty easy roll stamina build use stamina abilities and you can have massive damage. (sarcasm)

I really don't know how they are going to fix this, I don't think they know how they are going to fix this. I think I'm just shelfing my Templar and playing either DK or Sorc for now. Till something better comes along. Either that or just not play in Cryodiil.
    Anazasi wrote: »

its easy seperate the calculations from each other
    1st calculate base dmg based on spelldmg and maxmagica
    2nd calculate PvP-dmg = basdamge * 0.5
    3rd calculate PvP-healvalue = basedamge * 0.5 *healingvalue

Edited by Tankqull on August 1, 2015 3:02PM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More a design oversight than a bug, but it should be addressed. The math is pretty easy, so it shouldn't be hard to fix if the combat team wishes to do so.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• Erondil
    Erondil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hrothbern wrote: »
    I did test Funnel Health just now in PTS (NB, Vet 14, Mag Stat at 25k, no spell damage, no buffs-debuffs)
    DESHAAN: My damage against Giant Snake in Ghost Snake Vale was 3164 and the heal 1102 (no crit damage, no crit heal)
    CYRODIIL: My damage against Imperial Sergeant was 2933 and the heal was 544 (no crit damage, no crit heal)

This is so incomprehendible...... that I do not speculate what the coding crew did perhaps wrong.... or what intentions where glitched... or not well enough thought through....

No clue at all.... but i just guesss... that this outcome was not intended... please ZOS say something about this :-)

This isnt even double reduced because a cyrodiil's mob doesnt have the damage reduction... if you test it on a player who got the same spell res than this imperial sergeant, it will hit for 1.4k and heal for 350...
    Edited by Erondil on August 1, 2015 3:08PM
    ~retired~
    EU server, former Zerg Squad and Banana Squad officer
    Dennegor NB AD, AvA 50 Grand Overlord 24/05/2016
    rekt you NB AD, AvA 32
    Erondil Sorc AD, AvA 23
    Denne the Banana Slayer NB EP, AvA 14
    Darth Dennegor lv50 Stamina NB DC, AvA 19
    Youtube Channel
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Erondil

Thanks for THE explanation
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • Xeniph
    Xeniph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erondil wrote: »

This isnt even double reduced because a cyrodiil's mob doesnt have the damage reduction... if you test it on a player who got the same spell res than this imperial sergeant, it will hit for 1.4k and heal for 350...

Not only that, with 2400 spell power the health return on a blocking target is 7. LOL
    Here since Beta.

Characters: All of them, both Stamina and Magicka.
  • Draehl
    Draehl
    ✭✭✭
    lathbury wrote: »
    this unless there are changes nb healers are no longer a thing

I've been an off-healer since launch. Rapid Regen and Ward. It won't keep someone up against focus fire, but can turn the tide of a close fight and temporarily save someone from death.

EDIT: Any yes, this general issue really needs to be looked at so the penalty doesn't apply twice.

@ZOS_GinaBruno please read this thread!
    Edited by Draehl on August 1, 2015 5:07PM
    Main: Breton Nightblade "Shadow Cleric" (Sustained Damage/offhealer) 5L/2H - Resto + S&B
    Alt: Argonian Dragonknight (Stam DoTs/Tank) 5H/2M - S&B + Bow
    Alt: Nord Templar Berserker (Rawr) 5M/2H - Dual Wield + Two Hander
    Alt: Altmer Sorceror (Pewpew) 7L - Destro + Resto
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Xexpo
    Xexpo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a well thought out response disguised as a bump.
    Kiki Dickson ~~~ Dixmanian Devil ~~~ Cornelius Buckshank Jr.
    Histy-Fitz ~~~ Boozemer ~~~ Chace X'expo
    Lluvia De'Fuego ~~~ Shakes Spear
    Macro and Cheese NA/PC
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lmao.

Mitigation uses stamina ... DPS uses stamina
    Mitigation uses magicka ... DPS uses magicka

That's the problem.
    You will never balance the game as you cant isolate them and ZOS cant resist combining them.
    The players wont sacrifice the ability to be both at the same time.

Magicka for scaling Spell Damage and resource
    Stamina for scaling weapon damage and resource
    Health for scaling mitigation and healing and resource.
    Now try shield stacking and DPS, perma blocking and DPS or infinte resources at the same time.

Nothing else will fix it and its too much for ZOS to fix.
    I'm out.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on August 1, 2015 6:04PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Erondil
    Erondil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »
    lmao.

Mitigation uses stamina ... DPS uses stamina
    Mitigation uses magicka ... DPS uses magicka

That's the problem.
    You will never balance the game as you cant isolate them and ZOS cant resist combining them.
    The players wont sacrifice the ability to be both at the same time.

Magicka for scaling Spell Damage and resource
    Stamina for scaling weapon damage and resource
    Health for scaling mitigation and healing and resource.
    Now try shield stacking and DPS, perma blocking and DPS or infinte resources at the same time.

Nothing else will fix it and its too much for ZOS to fix.
    I'm out.

Did you read the OP lol
    ~retired~
    EU server, former Zerg Squad and Banana Squad officer
    Dennegor NB AD, AvA 50 Grand Overlord 24/05/2016
    rekt you NB AD, AvA 32
    Erondil Sorc AD, AvA 23
    Denne the Banana Slayer NB EP, AvA 14
    Darth Dennegor lv50 Stamina NB DC, AvA 19
    Youtube Channel
  • Morvul
    Morvul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erondil wrote: »

irony alert:
    you just (correctly) told someone that they did not even see the double-penalty in their example - and promptly forgot about the double penalty in your own example :smirk:

if funnel health hits for 3000 in pve land, it heals for 3000*0.27=810 (before any champion points which boost healing)
    if the same 3k funnel health hits a PvE mob in cyrodiil, it only heals for 3000*0.27*0.5= 405

but, if the same 3k funnel health is used against a player in cyrodiil, it only hits for 3000*0.5=1500
    therefore the same 3k base funnel health used against a player only heals for 3000*0,5*0,27*0,5= 203

epic healz!