The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

What champion points increase bow poison skills base damage, penetration and critical rate/damage?

AlaskeyLandshark
Hey folks, gotta a question for ya. Tried to Google it and found a lot of conflicting answers, and my own champion points allocation has me scratching my head.

Specifically for poison damage skill/morph Poison Injection and Lethal Arrow, which champion points affect there base damage, crit rate and penetration?

Through googling I've read conflicting reports from both the main forums as well as reddit that they go off of spell crit and penetration as well as weapon crit and penetration, does anyone know for sure which is true? (Did anyone from Zos ever verify one way or another)?

From my own experiences when I look at the tooltips in the skill menus with snipe unmorphed lethal arrow shows that it does less base dmg by about 100 than focused aim. Now, this makes sense as I have 4 points into mighty that would boost focused aims damage. However, I also have 10 points into thaumaturge which also doesn't seem to affect lethal injection. I've been watching the dmg as I add points, it does not change, and unless lethal arrows base damage is less than focused aim, when looking at both morphs lethal arrow should be doing more base damage due to the increase I get from thaumaturge. If mighty (physical damage) is not affecting poison bow attacks, does that mean that precise strikes (physical attacks) and piercing (physical attacks) do not affect bow skills either?

So is lethal arrow (poison bow attacks) bugged? Thaumaturge bugged? What champion abilities raise their damage, influence their crit ratings and determine their penetration? If possible, I'd like zos to pop in and clarify definitively, but I'll take what I can get lol

Best Answer

• AlaskeyLandshark
    Awesome info, exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much.

Since you said Crit Rating -> Perfect Strike I take it that poison bow abilities use the weapon crit stat in your character sheet, and it still goes off your weapon damage stat right?

Also I assume light/heavy attack, non poison skills (like magnum shot, bombard, focused aim) go off the champion skills you'd expect as well (mighty/precise strikes/piercing)?

Since you said the dmg bonus from champion skills doesn't show on the tooltips, does this mean lethal does in fact have a lower base damage than focused aim? Unexpected, but such is life :p

Gonna have to rearrange my champion points a bit, but it's very good info to have. I can see why bow users can make use of so much CP as their dmg bonus comes from such a variety of skills. Too bad it's all in the mage tree, wouldn't be so bad if we could use mage points for the magic ones, and war or thief for the physical.

This has given me a lot to think about. Would Nirnhoned be a superior enchant to sharpened then? (4% more penetration to the two hardest hitting attacks I have, but losing 14% on my light attack and magnum...) And you know, I didn't give weighted much thought till I read your signature.... anyway to hit that 30% cap with a bow? That's essentially getting 5 gcds to the enemies 4 in pvp. Think I'll check out your guides too :smiley:

Anyway, sorry bout bombarding you with more questions but I figure I might as well ask em all while I've got someone knowledgeable looking at the thread.
  • DeanTheCat
    DeanTheCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh =)

Yes, Bow abilities all use Weapon Crit. And you are correct on the non-poison Bow skills. They will scale as you expect from Mighty, Precise Strikes and Piercing.

Lethal does have a lower tooltip then Focused Aim, but that's mainly to compensate for the Major Defile + Poisoned status effect inflicted on the target. Major Defile reduces healing taken by 30%, and Poisoned Status reduces Stamina Regeneration by 20% in addition to inflicting a moderate damage DoT.

I would still recommend Sharpened over Nirnhoned, unless you are running a poison-focus build. To run such a build, 5pcs of Morag Tong combined with 5pcs of Hawk's Eye. Even then, a Master's Bow will be superior to any bow that you can craft, and as Master Weapons don't come in Nirnhoned, you'll have to make do with Sharpened or Infused.

In the case of Attack Speed, the cap is sadly no longer achievable, ever since Haste got changed into Grim Focus. In the past, simply activating Haste would have given you 40% stamina regeneration along with 30% attack speed.
    Dean the Cat
    Somewhat Insane Puddicat
    EU-PC Megaserver; Ebonheart Pact, Alliance Rank 34
    This one hails from far Singapore, excuse this one for his high pings. He also apologizes for any formatting/spelling errors, as he tends to answer using a mobile device.

Insanity is the price of Knowledge. Herma-Mora and Sheogorath, this one bows before thee.

This one does not advocate for any class to be nerfed. There are far deeper underlying issues then a simple "Class Imbalance". The Champion System is the problem. Not classes.

Please read this before creating yet another nerf thread.

My guides:
  • Hardicon
    Hardicon
    I believe that is changing next patch though. Patch notes say poison damage will now scale off weapon power and spell power, I assume that is whichever is higher and damage vulns like poison effect will now scale off weapon power. So I think next patch it will be based off your physical damage modifiers.
  • AlaskeyLandshark
    Hardicon wrote: »
    I believe that is changing next patch though. Patch notes say poison damage will now scale off weapon power and spell power, I assume that is whichever is higher and damage vulns like poison effect will now scale off weapon power. So I think next patch it will be based off your physical damage modifiers.

Interesting. If someone on PTS could test this that would be awesome.

Might also open up some magicka based bow builds., that could be interesting as well Maybe I should consider switching my guy to a magicka build... hmmm....