Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Sheogorath is evil, good or twisted sarcastic?

teladoy
teladoy
✭✭✭✭✭
What's your opinion?, mine is he is evil and play with the people, leaving them with not many options.
  • DivZero
    DivZero
    ✭✭✭
    chaotic-neutral. Maybe insane-chaotic-neutral. For beeing pure evil there are just to many "good" sides. Take "good" with a grain of salt.
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he is Chaotic Neutral. Besides, you can't measure Daedra in terms of the mortals, they are not "good" or "bad", they are just... daedra. Check the ShoddyCast channel on YT about The Elder Scrolls Lore (especially 2nd Season). Best stuff about TES I've seen so far.
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Master Angler
  • Dragonchylde
    Dragonchylde
    Soul Shriven
    Sheogorath was originally Jyygalag (sorry no idea how to spell it) the Deadric prince of order and the most righteous and powerful of them all. The other princes were jealous of him and cursed him with madness. My impression is that he still tries to "do the right thing" but he's just plain crazy. Once he embodied order, though now he only embodies pure chaos. Chaos and order are both neutral forces so he has never been good or evil.
  • WhiskyBob
    WhiskyBob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheogorath was originally Jyygalag (sorry no idea how to spell it) the Deadric prince of order and the most righteous and powerful of them all. The other princes were jealous of him and cursed him with madness. My impression is that he still tries to "do the right thing" but he's just plain crazy. Once he embodied order, though now he only embodies pure chaos. Chaos and order are both neutral forces so he has never been good or evil.

Jyggalag is still allowed to return once every era to set things straight in Shivering Isles (every era Jyggalag destroys Shivering Isles so when he's back to being Sheogorath he's busy rebuilding his realm instead of going nasty over the Nirn) untill the events of Oblivion when Sheo invites player to defeat Jyggalag and by doing so separates Jyggalag from Sheogorath.

Which is funny cause he is not mentioned later in Skyrim.
  • C0pp3rhead
    C0pp3rhead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chaotic Neutral.

Many of sheogorath's worshipers find happiness in freedom from grappling with reality.
    Others find themselves in a state of constant mental anguish and paranoia.
    Sometimes it's fun. Sometimes people get hurt.

Sheogorath isn't vengeful or malicious, nor is he accommodating or benevolent.

Order can be good or evil. Order is neither good nor evil.
    Similarly, Chaos is neither good nor evil.

Chaos simply is. Sheogorath simply is. Cheese.

CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!
    CHEESE!

(edit: not enough cheese)

Edited by C0pp3rhead on April 25, 2015 9:06AM
    "Things which are alike in nature grow to look alike, and the speaking stones have lain a long time lookin' at the sun. Some believe they descend with the lightning, but I believe they are on the ground and are projected downward by the bolt."

Fear my moustache powers.

Tastes-New-Blood - V14 Argonian Templar
    Giblets N Bits - V2 Imperial Nightblade
    Skruyue N'Alyutu - V1 Altmer Sorcerer
    Jolbie Firecrotch - L31 Nord Dragonknight

Vehemence - - Valhalla's Guard
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sheogorath is the archetype of the liberator (a.k.a. Lucifer, or light-bringer) . He sets people free from their own limited minds, whether they want it or not, just like Jyggalag was set free from his overly orderly mindset by the other Daedric Princes. Madness, or insanity, is the ultimate result of absolute freedom - freedom from moral or mental categories, freedom from consequences of actions, freedom from wisdom.

He just laughs at the feeble attempts of mortals to categorize him as "good", "evil", or "twisted", because he transcends those concepts. At best, he's "meaningless", because that's what chaos is - for something to have any amount of information, there needs to be some sort of order, which he doesn't have by definition.

The games he plays with mortals are like entropy (which only leads to disorder, i.e. chaos): you can't win, you can't break even, you can't quit.
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's both. He's dark and light. Ordered and Chaotic. Just depends on what side of the fence he's on in any given moment.

He'll make a deal and he will keep it. He'll make a deal and find every way possible to break it. He'll make a deal knowing full well one's understanding of the context of the deal but use the advantage of his experience, knowledge and circumstance to fulfill the deal according to his own context. He's a kid in a candy store with an ever-full pocket of money. He's the kid that never got spanked. He's bored uses mortals for whatever amusement he might glean from them. He's the spoiled, imortal schizo, narcissist. He's the most interesting character in TES/ESO. :-)
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's not half as evil in the games as he's supposed to be. His madness should scare your breakfast out of you, but he's little more than a clown.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • BuggeX
    BuggeX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheogorath is like a woman in her days :P
    #makemagickadkgreataigan
    #givemeaexecute
    #ineedheal
    #betterhotfixgrindspots
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    He's not half as evil in the games as he's supposed to be. His madness should scare your breakfast out of you, but he's little more than a clown.

I completely agree with this. In the games he's just silly... taking about cheese and such. If they were to truly do "madness" justice he would do things like reach onto the mouth of a nearby "friend", pull out his intestinal tract, fashion it into a puppet and insist you call it Mrs. Prenderghast. Then he would wonder why his friend is just lying on the ground, lifeless, instead of enjoying the fun.

He's too sane to be mad.

But that's ok. I like how he is in the games. He's silly Uncle Sheo. :smile:
    Edited by Gidorick on April 25, 2015 1:59PM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    teladoy wrote: »
    Sheogorath is evil, good or twisted sarcastic?
    Yes, he is! ;)

• Wyvern121
    Wyvern121
    Soul Shriven
    I hate him for making me kill emeric, aryenn, and razum-dar. Also, I think he is evil for making me decide between curing valaste or getting two skill points.
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Chaotic awesome
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turn this into a poll imo!

I say chaotic neutral. Or as others have said insane chaotic/chaotic awesome.

So I think he is "insane chaotic awesome neutral".

Though if he does have evil days maybe that makes him just chaotic evil. Hmm...he is awesome though, definitely my favorite character in game.
    >.<_____/
    If you want me to read a post aimed at me, please put @Sidney.
    Please give us tail armor and dyeable tail ribbons.
    Click Here -->Support Dyeable Tail Ribbons<---
    All your mats r belong to Khajiit.
    Click Here -->Support Tail Armor<---
  • HexWeaver
    HexWeaver
    ✭✭
    I freakin love him. I want to have his cheese babies.
  • Sithisvoid
    Sithisvoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jyggalag is a beast. It is only out of how feared he was by the other daedra that he gained his curse and became the mad god.
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wyvern121 wrote: »
    I hate him for making me kill emeric, aryenn, and razum-dar. Also, I think he is evil for making me decide between curing valaste or getting two skill poins.

Omgomgomg he makes us kill razzybear!?!?!?!

@Wyvern121 can you add spoiler tags to your post? I didn't know that info... Bah..Khajiit is heart broken..
    >.<_____/
    If you want me to read a post aimed at me, please put @Sidney.
    Please give us tail armor and dyeable tail ribbons.
    Click Here -->Support Dyeable Tail Ribbons<---
    All your mats r belong to Khajiit.
    Click Here -->Support Tail Armor<---
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    teladoy wrote: »
    What's your opinion?, mine is he is evil and play with the people, leaving them with not many options.

Neither since he's not real.
    He'll be whatever the writers want him to be whenever they make him appear ...
    shades.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on July 9, 2015 5:13PM
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daedric princes do not abide by mortal concepts like good and evil. They exist outside such categorizations. They are more or less self-serving in and around their spheres of influence, whatever that entails.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Faulgor wrote: »

I completely agree with this. In the games he's just silly... taking about cheese and such. If they were to truly do "madness" justice he would do things like reach onto the mouth of a nearby "friend", pull out his intestinal tract, fashion it into a puppet and insist you call it Mrs. Prenderghast. Then he would wonder why his friend is just lying on the ground, lifeless, instead of enjoying the fun.

He's too sane to be mad.

But that's ok. I like how he is in the games. He's silly Uncle Sheo. :smile:

That is actually what makes him terrifying.
    A crazy person can't accomplish much if he or she is awash in his or her insanity. Many of the inhabitants of the Shivering Isles demonstrate that.

Sheogorath is lucid within his own insanity though.
    Someone who is lucid within his or her own insanity is instead capable of complex underlying plots masked by seemingly chaotic and disorganized actions, which Sheogorath has shown himself particularly noteworthy at, even outwitting other Daedric Princes for fun.

Sheogorath is certainly insane; he is simply also aware of his own insanity which turns him into a god.

Insanity has a lot of gradients. For instance, a psychopath can end up being openly violent and locked up quickly; can be methodical and end up as a serial killer successfully evading the law for years; or rise to position of CEO of a successful company.
    All three examples demonstrate the same differences in brain structure from a healthy sane brain, but the CEO may ironically be considered as an icon of sanity and success due to his or her position in the corporate world.

Schizophrenia is kind of considered a common example of insanity; however, schizophrenics seem to experience reality in a way parallel to advanced practitioners of tantric yoga, or those involved in shamanic traditions -- the difference is considered one of degrees, where the schizophrenic does not understand their experience, whereas the advanced spiritual practitioner purposely is exposed to it for growth.
    Shamans are the sick-healer; their position in a society normally being precipitated by seizures or bouts of madness indicating them to be a candidate for the path. A fortunate soul will get adequate help and a teacher and learn to integrate the experiences rather than live in fear.

Sheogorath really seems to be steeped heavily in classical myths of trickster deities, or age-old sages.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • FilthyMudcrabs
    FilthyMudcrabs
    ✭✭✭
    Sheogorath is Sheogorath.
    Saw a mudcrab the other day. Dreadful creatures.
  • urkonse
    urkonse
    ✭✭✭
    220px-Janus1.JPG
    Janus -_ Sheogorath
    Lightning guild is recruiting active players at any level & skill ( PS4 , EU)
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    it's the 4th answer.

Cheese, Chocolate milk, shiny blue cubes, and cats.

chaotic_commission_by_kevinbolk-d703yrd.jpg
    Edited by Forestd16b14_ESO on July 9, 2015 5:48PM
  • Nyghthowler
    Nyghthowler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wyvern121 wrote: »
    I hate him for making me kill emeric, aryenn, and razum-dar. Also, I think he is evil for making me decide between curing valaste or getting two skill points.

Lets see; a haughty High Elf that has used you as her errand boy and repeatedly thrown you into dangerous situations, or 2 skill points.... I have no problem with feeding her to Uncle Sheo.
    I'm not prejudiced; I hate everyone equally !
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that perspective @Samadhi! That his lucidity makes him dangerous. Well done!

2570640-5353427362-thumb.gif
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Chuggernaut
    Chuggernaut
    ✭✭✭
    He's all aspects of insanity.
    My comrades have returned. I erect the spine of gratitude. You are a hero today. - Bura-Natoo
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    I love that perspective @Samadhi! That his lucidity makes him dangerous. Well done!

Sheogorath may babble about Cheese, making him seem...well, Cheesy. :)

But he'd also turn someone's intestines to rats so at least some part of them would appreciate his offer.

His thoughts and methods flow through conventional reality, but are not of it.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    He's all aspects of insanity.

Really enjoyed the Shivering Isles expansion of Oblivion, with the functionality of Mania and Dementia.

The map was the same insane chaos, but the player could choose whether to use the door of Mania and see it through excitement and bright colours, or Dementia, and see the world as a paranoid and fearful place.
    Changing perception was a simple as walking through a new door. Very psychedelic implications.
    Meanwhile, the godliness of Sheogorath was his ability to sit at the precipice between two forms of madness, and freely choose and change which lens he viewed the world through at will.

Meanwhile, the inhabitants of the isles are predominately stuck in one or the other modes of insanity -- suicidally depressed (Cutter, the self-mutilating Blacksmith was one of my favourite characters in the series) and paranoid that a dark and evil world is out to get them; or, chaotically excited and narcissistic (the contrasting smith on the Mania side was a male Orc convinced he was the prettiest and best Smith in all the lands) basking in the glow of a warm, in some cases drug-infused, world.

Really rich stuff.
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is meaner in the game than people notice.

He lights a mummy's SOUL on fire.. but because it is all done in funny voices...

If you look at his words carefully throughout his appearances he is saying some really awful stuff in a light cartoony voice... so people whitewash it as nonsense.

Trading or not trading Velaste makes you a bad person or not... but everything he does to her before that is awful. People tend to forget about it in light of facing that choice.