The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

When you started your way along the path of The Elder Scrolls?

• zFireWyvern
    zFireWyvern
    Soul Shriven
    Arena
    God, way back in Arena. That feels like some time ago now
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daggerfall
    Although it was very much a 'flawed masterpiece' IMO it remains one of my favourite games, hard to explain why really as I'm not really 'into' dungeon crawls and Daggerfall was largely a graphical Hack-like game with nothing outside of the dungeons except cities and towns: the random dungeons were simply far too vast mostly, as Bethesda acknowledged some years later but the hand-crafted main story ones were pretty fun.

However I spent many, many weeks playing it, exploring dungeons .. sitting in Inn rooms casting spells to level skills as nearly everyone did at some stage :D .. and enjoying the varied locales the main story took place in.

Morrowind though is my absolute favourite game of all of them, and possibly my favourite game of any kind.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on April 1, 2015 2:13PM
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daggerfall
    I've always been disappointed since oblivion that the world levels with you. It loses the sense of danger and replaces it with a feeling that I can handle everything I come up to ... which is kinda boring.

I started with Daggerfall (it was my dads and I didn't understand it), but loved Morrowind (my fave in series). I went back and beat Daggerfall before oblivion released.
    Edited by BBSooner on April 1, 2015 2:32PM
  • Athas24
    Athas24
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    Jroc wrote: »
    Started with the best of the series.

^^ Agreed! :) Oblivion had a lot to offer. I sunk way too many hours into that game ha-ha! Especially with the expansions.
    ...OverTwerked & Underpaid.
    Rajaat04 in game @Athas24 on forums
  • Aeladiir
    Aeladiir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skyrim
    This graph clearly shows why Morrowind is considered to be the best game of the series. Simply because so many people met with The Elder Scrolls for the first time when it was released and now, due to nostalgia level of over 9000, think of it as the best TES game ever.

It's obvious that Skyrim is the best.

[insert irony here]
    Edited by Aeladiir on April 1, 2015 2:30PM
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daggerfall
    Daggerfall was my first serious ES title. What I liked about it was the unique architecture of the game. The whole world was pretty much always random and different to the play before. Those little "towns" were always somewhere else and you couldn't look up stuff or find walkthroughs. It was your game and how you played it, every step and conversation had severe consequences and the NPC´s all had a specific type of reputation towards you.

If you didn't save the husband of a wife, then she would be solo and you could try to date her (in theory), it was all possible and not so restricted like todays games.

I always felt it was a real pity that such a system never ever came again in a game. Sure it was buggy and had its issues due the sheer randomness (you could fail the game, because of a scripted error), but still, it was the total freedom and the player could do whatever he / she wanted.
  • nathanthehawkerb16_ESO
    Oblivion
    Started with Oblivion and loved it. I was really anxious to venture to other zones and that got me to buy Morrowind. I tried playing Arena but it was too hard to get into. Then I continued through Skyrim to ESO :smile:
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Oblivion and Skyrim are more of an action/adventure type of game compared to Morrowind. Morrowind is still to this day my favorite video game ever made.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    on the original Xbox....didn't even think it was worth trying on PC but I really enjoyed it on Xbox (original)
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daggerfall
    Daggerfall FTW.

Missed the nudity ever since. Mod authors have done well enough. Not that I have some perverse obsession as most among the prudish indoctrinated masses would conclude; it's a component that adds to the realism of Elder Scrolls games. Same reason I use mods in Skyrim for realistic needs and diseases, Deadly Mutilation's body dismemberment, kill anyone mods, seasonal changes mods, and so on. The closer to what I'd subjectively consider real, the better.

Worth noting that it's not needed in ESO mind you. I don't count ESO as a TES game in any capacity deeper than its skin, and I give it the same classification I'd give TES fan fiction. I have virtually no desire for "truer to life" design in MMO's, so I judge ESO differently.

• qsnoopyjr
    qsnoopyjr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Morrowind is what made the Elder Scrolls brand as popular as it is today.

Just like how Quake made Quake brand as popular as it was.

It wasn't Quake 3 that made quake/IDsoftware, and it wasn't Skyrim that made The Elder Scrolls.

One thing I see a lot of is, game designers will keep following off the wrong concept of the game and thus it begins to fade out slowly.
    Quake was the most dominant FPS in its time, but it kept following Quake2 or Quake 3 format for the rest of the games, and never truly followed the format of what made it big in the first place.

I feel same goes for The Elder Scrolls, MORROWIND is what made this brand as big as it is, it wasn't Oblivion Skyrim, or those 2 other games before Morrowind. Oblivion and Skyrim feel very little like Morrowind. Like the gameplay is there, but the style of the game just isn't there.

I feel that TESO followed a Skyrim format, which is the wrong format to follow in my opinion, just like how Quake 4 and Quake 5 followed Quake 3 format which I also feel was wrong (should have been the Quake1 format, play Quake1 multiplayer and play Quake2-5, completely different, its a lot better if you exclude the outdated graphics). Just like playing Morrowind over any of those other Elder Scroll games. Yes the gameplay is somewhat similar, but the style and feeling is from Morrowind with the other elder scrolls games, just is too far off.

It's that eerie feeling you get in Morrowind, the music, and the style of dungeons they do, make it hellish and creepy, kind of the style Quake 1 had. The other games like Oblivion for example, you just repeat too much, like your always in the daedric portals, that it just isn't there. It didn't have the vibe/music to make it as eerie as well. Also the landscape felt more space than, hellish/gothic/ancient type feeling.

Another game to look at is the WWE series, that game use to be fun, the Smackdown, and Smackdown2, and the gamecube vs ps2 vs xbox... variety. Than they started following a bad model and got rid of variety (I liked the gamecube ones over xbox and ps2 ones), and WWE games are just boring now. Same with GTA3, GTA3 is what made that game what it was, it wasn't 4 or 5, it was #3. The best GTA is San Andres, the consumers have been telling the dev's and telling them over and over and over again that gang wars is fun, GTA San Andres is the model they should follow, but idk what they doing, following the wrong model.

Same with Def Jam Fight for New York. IDK what happened to that game, all I assume is again, they thought whatever was after it was what people liked and they made ICON just like that one, and people just don't care about that game anymore. Again following the wrong model.

Tired of PERFECT games, GREAT games, following the wrong model.
    IDK why they made it like Skyrim, my guess would be they had to rush this out and use whatever resources Skyrim was used on.

I'm a little curious on how EQNext is going to go, EQ is the right model to follow if you ask me. But by looks of it, looks completely different. Cartoony if you ask me, and I'm not a fan of cartoony MMO's, I'm a fan of EQ, but I feel like if its what I think it is, its going in the wrong direction too and should have stuck with the EQ model. That game/ company is weird, 3 different MMO's on the same concept. I don't know any other MMO that splits its game/community in 3 different games but uses same concept/theme, EQ, EQ2, EQnext. It needs a merger. I don't know what Runescape did when it went to Runescape 2, but I don't think whatever it did hurt the game. What EQ did when it made EQ2, all that did was split community, diehards stayed on EQ and it made all the newplayers and such goto EQ2. Pretty much slow death for EQ yet it still has expansions, and EQ2 wasn't really that successful at all, so 2 dying communities.

Anyways back to point, Morrowind is what made the Elder Scrolls, the Elder Scrolls. Just because Daggerfall and Arena was before it, doesn't really mean anything. Its like GTA 2 and GTA1, people didn't even know what they were before GTA 3 came out. Same goes with Grand Turismo 3 if you ask me. Grand Turismo was a great game too for racing, I loved that game too, all the other racing games suck. I didn't know much about cars and that game taught me a lot, fun too and just great game. Need for Speed and all those other racing games are a joke. I think what happened was PS3 didn't do so good and Grand Turismo was a PS only game. But again, if this game does anything, it should start focusing on Morrowind again.

Honestly, I prefer the Morrowind Dark Elves and such over the Oblivion Skyrim and TESO dark elves, they looked more tougher, ancient time/gothic/hellish I cant describe exactly what it is, but they are better, trust me.

Edit, but since its Skyrim type feel I feel it was rushed out, I would assume in a business perspective this would be good, because demand is like, we want it within a year, if it takes over 3 years to make something its just too long. That's one thing I see with EQnext doing wrong, that game has been in the works for too long. I have a feeling all the work is not going to be worth it. So maybe TESO did the right move with Skyrim, but if they COULD have made it like Morrowind, like they had the option to do so in the same amount of time. It should have been like Morrowind.
    Edited by qsnoopyjr on April 1, 2015 4:19PM
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Morrowind
    Teh Marrowang!!
    Qellian wrote: »
    Well, i technically started to TESO game series with Oblivion... but i hated that game...

I thought it was ... okay. I'd rank it 3rd amongst single-player ES games I've played, behind Morrowind and Skyrim.

The Shivering Isles was awesome, though. Probably my favorite ES expansion.
  • Zimnel
    Zimnel
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    Betahkiin wrote: »
    I started with Skyrim.

Then, eventually felt curiosity and I got Morrowind and Oblivion, but after having played Skyrim turned me to continue these was difficult because the difference in gameplay and graphics is great.

I always wanted to explore the history of those games, but the contrast between gameplay and graphics took me to leave.

For Oblivion the difference is not as noticeable as with Morrowind.

The other key factor was that the only game with full translation into Spanish was Skyrim, which allowed me to link affinity generally much faster than the others.

Oblivion was also translated into Spanish language, and we had so much fun with the translation in itself because of the many glitches it contained being one of the most famous "portones" instead of "portales" (portals).

My first was Morrowind and for me it lasts as the best of the saga for reasons as the real importance of choices we had in there. I still have my ultra modded Morrowind installed with +200 mods going on XD I still open the game from time to time to play with my own modded home and see the many places I love in that game. You have a ton of books to collect and read, uncountable objects to steal, armour splitted in many parts (irregular pauldrons or gloves for example), a plethora of factions... I could write a wall about Morrowind and many of you too I guess ^ ^

About the graphics, you have many graphical / textures mods to give the game a different look in visuals. You even have an application to add LOD and mods for grass and bumpmapped rocks amongs other goodies :D

• coldreactive_ESO
    coldreactive_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    Morrowind I was too young to get into at the time, plus the game's flow was too slow for my tastes, among other things. I started with oblivion, though didn't really finish the game until after I finished Skyrim.
    NA PC Megaserver
    Lucradia Valeri (D.Summoner) / Saeko Meina (T.Healer)
    GMT -0600 (Central Time, Wisconsin) - PvE Only
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arena
    Technically I first played Arena, but I never owned it, so I really only played it 2 or 3 times at a friend's place.

I never tried Daggerfall, or any of the side games (Battlespire, Redguard, etc).

I tried Morrowind, and just couldn't get into it. There was so much about it that I thought had so much potential, but I couldn't get past the graphics. So much uncanny valley going on that I just couldn't bring myself to play it (I know, I know, it's a great game, but I couldn't force myself to play it - instead I played Baldur's Gate).

I played Oblivion, and enjoyed it, but never finished it (I should get back to that). Oblivion was what got me really interested in the world and the lore of the series (I'm sure if I could have gotten past the graphics of Morrowind I would have become interested in the lore earlier).

I played Skyrim on the PS3 for a bit, before deciding I wanted to play with some mods, so I got it for the PC, and played the hell out of it. I completed every freaking thing everywhere in the game, as well as everything in a handful of mods that added quests and areas to the game.

Now, obviously, I'm here playing ESO.
    The last single player game I really enjoyed was Red Baron....well....and StarControl II perhaps. Speaking of which, where the heck is UrQuan? *becomes distracted*
    I'm here! I'm here! I still love Star Control II, and I still sometimes go back and play it (the Ur-Quan Masters port based on the code released by Toys For Bob). In high school a friend of mine lived close to school, and he had Star Control II - we used to go to his place on lunch and play.

I should clarify that I'm the "enslave and imprison everyone else" variety of Ur-Quan, not the "exterminate everyone else" variety. So I'm the comparatively kinder, gentler type :)
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • izenkim_ESO
    izenkim_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Arena
    I remember seeing Arena in the store and thinking "this is too good to be true". I played it a ton, but I never got past making my own spells and exploring dungeons. Story, who needs story!
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    Daggerfall
    I started with Daggerfall. I remember spending a lot of time in character customization, I loved all of the options.

. . . I also didn't get past the first few enemies until my third or fourth character design, so it's good I enjoyed class creation! (Apparently being a linguist wasn't recommended for your first go-through. Having played the Daggerfal dungeon demo so much I thought I was ready for anything, and that first rat taught me many harsh truths.)

Forum Rules | Promoting Constructive Discussion | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Help Site

I’ve moved to a new position and I am no longer active on this forum. For assistance, please check the resources linked above
    Staff Post
  • goldin88
    goldin88
    Soul Shriven
    Morrowind
    I still find myself going back to Morrowind and finding new places I've never been to (or just forgotten I've been to) even after all these years, I'm sure there is still a few hidden gems I'm yet to find!
    Officer - Magikal
    Goldin - Imperial - DK - Tank - Master Crafter - All Equipment & Consumables
    Goldi-Locks - Khajiit - NB - DPS
    Goldi G - Breton - Templar - Healer
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oblivion
    Oblivion for me. Can still remember running through the wilderness between Kvatch & Anvil, being chased by a group of wolves, doing my best to avoid death.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Skyrim
    Hello guys, including @ZOS_AlanG ,

For some reason I only came to know the TES franchise with Skyrim.

However the more I read about the TES lore, the more videos about it I watch on Youtube, the more I'd like to be able to play the old games.

I know LucasArts some years ago would update and make into Windows compatible software, their line of Star Wars related spaceship games.

Is there a way to have something like that with all the TES titles? A bundle of all games, made to work with Windows 7? I don't care to have updated graphics, just to play.
  • TheTwistedRune
    TheTwistedRune
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arena
    Arena for me. I had the fancy CD-ROM version. Ah, I sunk hours into that game. And triple that in Daggerfall. I remember reading about how large the game was going to be, and it didn't disappoint. Still the biggest ES game to date I believe?

I suppose ESO has the potential to be larger, if it isn't already.
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion
    I started with Oblivion tried to get into it and couldn't because of how awful it was. Then I hesitantly bought Skyrim because I watched my son play it some and loved it. Then I got Morrorind and despite its dated appearance and gameplay its much better than Oblivion. Had it not been for Skyrim I would not be an Elder Scrolls player.

I've recently gone back to Oblivion to start over again and try to fix as many of its visual flaws as I can with mods...like how it would drag you into a face to face staring contest with NPCs when you talked to them for example. I had to replace the music with a mix of Morrowind and Skyrim, sorry but I did not like the Oblivion music at all. The mods I use are all aimed at things I felt wither drug me out of immersion or made things look better like better NPC heads.
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind
    You know what I find interesting, at least about myself? The music has always been a big part of my enjoyment but when the main theme starts running through my head it is the way it sounded in Morrowind. When I get flashes of scenes or game play in my head it is almost always something from Morrowind. I just loved the whole weird alien landscape and critters. It disappoints me quite a bit that food and creatures have gotten so ordinary. I want a freaky looking bonelord or hunger to chase me. I want a guar to walk up behind me and try to gum me to death (they were never very threatening).
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • Tomg999
    Tomg999
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arena
    Arena

Arena for me. They just got better & better, imo. I even had Redguard!
    Daggerfall was awesome at the time. Morrowind was the GT3 of the series; now we are really exploring a nice world we can see.
    It has been cool following it along.
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Elder Scrolls Online
    Started with ESO, late to the party as always! Then went back and gave Skyrim a go too!
    Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Sallington on April 1, 2015 8:52PM
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Morrowind
    One of my favorite things to do in Oblivion at low level is to sneak into Vindasel, shoot Umbra with an arrow from a distance, run outside and get onto my horse while she chases me to the Imperial City - then I watch the carnage ensue inside as the entire city descends upon her to kill her. Many casualties result.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daggerfall
    ZOS_AlanG wrote: »
    I started with Daggerfall. I remember spending a lot of time in character customization, I loved all of the options.

. . . I also didn't get past the first few enemies until my third or fourth character design, so it's good I enjoyed class creation! (Apparently being a linguist wasn't recommended for your first go-through. Having played the Daggerfal dungeon demo so much I thought I was ready for anything, and that first rat taught me many harsh truths.)

If I recall, then this first dungeon was one of the hardest things ever in an ES game, a wrong char setting and it was pretty much impossible, unless players just ran towards the exit. Imagine you guys would had made the "tutorial" at ESO that hard :o

I also remember the box that the game shipped in, this was a cool piece of art. Or the big manual, why do games today don't ship with them anymore (except collectors editions?)
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vahrokh wrote: »
    Hello guys, including @ZOS_AlanG ,

For some reason I only came to know the TES franchise with Skyrim.

However the more I read about the TES lore, the more videos about it I watch on Youtube, the more I'd like to be able to play the old games.

I know LucasArts some years ago would update and make into Windows compatible software, their line of Star Wars related spaceship games.

Is there a way to have something like that with all the TES titles? A bundle of all games, made to work with Windows 7? I don't care to have updated graphics, just to play.

Sounds like you need the Elder Scrolls Anthology. Look for it at your prefered retailer....

Now, optimised for 7 May be a different beast, so I recommend nexusmods and the steam workshop for all you unofficial patches and other customization needs
    Edited by Shunravi on April 1, 2015 9:14PM
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • ginoboehm
    ginoboehm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daggerfall
    I played daggerfall morrowind oblivion then skyrim couldn't finish arena started it twice but it didn't age well morrowind modded( magicka regen for example with graphics updates) makes it really enjoyable today