The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How Normal is Healer Abuse?

Emily
Emily
✭✭✭
I've recently just gotten back to the country and game, and started some Cyrodiil. Lately I've seen (and received) a fair amount of healer abuse, and on one event I felt just like dropping the game altogether again, as it wasn't worth the aggravation and harassment.

Is it a common occurrence to yell and/or berate healers?
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not amongst any groups I have run with. Requiem, Vox, LoM, gbn, npk, nor axn have berated the healers on any occasion I have spent with them. However, I am not a primary healer, just a knight-errant with some healing spells (Templar).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think its fairly common in PUG like groups to yell at healers if they die. Shouldn't take it too seriously, its very uncommon in organized groups (unless there is actually a reason to yell at the healer which, on occasion, does happen). Only time I see it in an organized group is when the healer messed up or is just not cutting it (truly), in which case its a different issue.

PUGs on the other hand will blame their death on the phase of the moon if it makes them feel better.
  • booksmcread
    booksmcread
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would hope that it is low. I haven't joined a group outside of my guild in a long, long time, but I can only recall one time back when I was still learning the game. I would think that a group where you are being berated is probably a group you don't want to be in.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Emily wrote: »
    I've recently just gotten back to the country and game, and started some Cyrodiil. Lately I've seen (and received) a fair amount of healer abuse, and on one event I felt just like dropping the game altogether again, as it wasn't worth the aggravation and harassment.

It's one thing to offer constructive criticism, it's quite another to be blamed solely for a groups failure. Even the best healers would have a hard time keeping someone alive with 14k HP standing in an AoE. If you feel that you have been unfairly blamed I would suggest simply finding new people to group with instead of just quitting the game. Basically just stay away from toxic people, but also keep an open mind to constructive criticism.
    :trollin:
  • Tintinabula
    Tintinabula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's funny, I run without a healer. Healers are icing to my cake(my cake being my own ability to heal/shield myself) If you aint got your own cake stop whining about someone elses icing.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    in random groups im sure. When people are getting bombarded by snipes, they want to blame the healer instead of realizing they should dodge the arrows:(

if its a halfway decent group it should not happen very much(unless the healer just does bad, then the healer may get yelled at for a few seconds)
  • Emily
    Emily
    ✭✭✭

It's one thing to offer constructive criticism, it's quite another to be blamed solely for a groups failure. Even the best healers would have a hard time keeping someone alive with 14k HP standing in an AoE. If you feel that you have been unfairly blamed I would suggest simply finding new people to group with instead of just quitting the game. Basically just stay away from toxic people, but also keep an open mind to constructive criticism.

lol well, it's not that. It was a random pug. I've never had problems with npk or LoM or any of them. Like, this guy died in the middle of a besieged, narrow corridor that was bombarded with caltrops and ballistas and two dozen enemies on his body. I told him I couldn't resurrect him, so he starts with the expletives, so his friend who was the leader removes me from the group. Which would have been fine, I am okay with that; but it didn't end there, his friends start messaging me with sexist, derogatory insults and I just got tired of putting people on my ignore list and logged off.
    Edited by Emily on March 31, 2015 8:05PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm Haven't seen it really. Just tell them to go slot their own heals if they don't like it. It will just lead to that. If I got too much just complaining about a wipe in PvP blaming my lack of heals, when wipes happen all the time; I would go craft some medium armor and respec to stam DPS and say F you. Luckily it doesn't happen. At most, they might ask you to carry some other support abilities as well, and that is fine.
    Edited by technohic on March 31, 2015 8:06PM
  • derpsticks
    derpsticks
    ✭✭✭✭
    On that note, I just hope the icing is chocolate.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many full light armor builds haven't realized that they were stripped of most their defenses in 1.6. They are still blaming their deaths on the healer. They will figure it out around patch 1.7.5.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Sypher
    Sypher
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't stand for any abuse. You aren't anyone's crutch!
    DC Dragonknight 'Sypher - AD Nightblade Sypher Ali - AD Sorcerer Sypher Sensei - EP Sorcerer Sypharian - DC Templar Ali Sypher

Youtube: www.youtube.com/SypherPK
    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/SypherPK
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've never been yelled at as a healer. But I also might being doing any number of different things then you, from running with the right group of players, to being just an awesome healer, to being the unofficial healer where players don't recognize me as someone to blame because I'm in heavy armor.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I myself run with <20K HP. I learned a long time ago to duck and dodge. If I die its usually my fault:D this is something some people do not seem to get.

if its someone with low health trying to play like a tank or an upfront player, ignore them. By that I mean standing in AOEs, not roll dodging hard hitting attacks, charging up front like they are fully decked out tanks; those people will die no matter how much healing you can put out.

if its a ranged player trying to play it melee style, ignore them too. basically, if the player is not even remotely playing their build right, and is blaming YOU of all people for their deaths and not their own mistakes; just ignore them. Do not let those players get to you.

Edited by Cody on March 31, 2015 8:10PM
  • Tintinabula
    Tintinabula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Learn to survive without a healer [snip]. You'll get good enough that when a competent healer DOES heal you..you'll be god mode.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Rude and Insulting comments]
    Edited by ZOS_AlexD on March 31, 2015 8:58PM
  • jnjdun_ESO
    jnjdun_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Heck no! I would have left that group in a heartbeat. Don’t let anybody abuse you for anything in game. That's nonsense. Constructive criticism is a different beast. You can do what you want with that, though.

I take enough *abuse from my husband if I'm not right next to his little crown and he dies. That's enough for me. :neutral:

*not really abuse, but he does like to let me if I wasn’t there for him
    Giggle Purrz'Pantz Khajiit Templar
    Fuzzy Jenna'Tullz Khajiit DK
    Eileen U'Lickette Bosmer Sorc
    Ginny Fleasly Khajiit NB
    Jenny Tull'Whortz Bosmer baby NB
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extremely common among PuG groups, find a good guild and run with them. Cyrodiil is too full of idiots.
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pg groups all run in different directions; spread way out, then wonder why the healing springs were not on them.
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    I've never been yelled at as a healer. But I also might being doing any number of different things then you, from running with the right group of players, to being just an awesome healer, to being the unofficial healer where players don't recognize me as someone to blame because I'm in heavy armor.

:| , little full of ourselves are we?
    Edited by Huntler on March 31, 2015 8:32PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lol well, it's not that. It was a random pug. I've never had problems with npk or LoM or any of them. Like, this guy died in the middle of a besieged, narrow corridor that was bombarded with caltrops and ballistas and two dozen enemies on his body. I told him I couldn't resurrect him, so he starts with the expletives, so his friend who was the leader removes me from the group. Which would have been fine, I am okay with that; but it didn't end there, his friends start messaging me with sexist, derogatory insults and I just got tired of putting people on my ignore list and logged off.

Eh I wouldn't worry about them.

Join any of the guilds you played with before. I'm sure we would all love to have you on a dedicated playing slot.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fengrush understands the agony of bearing a woman as healer. In the future itd just be best to apologize to everyone in your party and move on to try again.
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience most players who yell at the healer think the healer is there to keep them alive no matter what and think they are entitled to your full attention at all times. Typically these are bad players why need to learn to dodge and just try to tank every hit because the healer can fix it and when the healer can't they rant and moan. I've died plenty of times for one reason or another but I've always tried my best to keep me alive first and take pressure off the healer as much as I can. The healers are there to keep people alive not babysit one or two player who simply try to power through everything. My feeling are a good player will shrug off dying most of the time and wait for the battle to be over or someone to get a chance to revive them....a bad player or toxic person will look for a scapegoat to blame when they die.
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bads are Bads. I love Healers, I respect Healers, I try to protect them when I can. Find a good guild to run with, forget the idiots. You can't heal stupid.

You can come be my pocket healer anytime :wink:
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • booksmcread
    booksmcread
    ✭✭✭✭

OMG, it was DC? We don't have enough healers as it is. I hope you managed to put all of these people on ignore. I would recommend joining a PvP guild where you can always have a good group of people to group up with. There are a few DC PvP guilds that are filled with really good people who would be happy to have you.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience most players who yell at the healer think the healer is there to keep them alive no matter what and think they are entitled to your full attention at all times. Typically these are bad players why need to learn to dodge and just try to tank every hit because the healer can fix it and when the healer can't they rant and moan. I've died plenty of times for one reason or another but I've always tried my best to keep me alive first and take pressure off the healer as much as I can. The healers are there to keep people alive not babysit one or two player who simply try to power through everything. My feeling are a good player will shrug off dying most of the time and wait for the battle to be over or someone to get a chance to revive them....a bad player or toxic person will look for a scapegoat to blame when they die.

Healing from a WoW perspective, healer only heals.
    But ESO provides that the healer do more than just heal. I think they made the class fun again.

But a healer should know to ignore those characters and let the LM know to receive healing they need to dodge more or get a backup heals on their bar.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • pppontus
    pppontus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healers unite! Hm.. I'm thinking, a full raid.. healers only.

Honestly, no it isn't common to blame the healer in my experience, however it is really common for useless people to blame someone else (whoever they can) for their own shortcomings.

Don't worry, natural selection will deal with them eventually.
  • Aminals
    Aminals
    ✭✭✭
    Lol what is this thread even about? People yelled at you for trying to heal them? Come join red the water is warm the people are friendly
    Apollos
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell people to go F themselves and drop group. Individuals that join groups then rage when failing in a video game need sense physically beaten into them, especially if they take out their frustration on their group mates.

Yelling at the screen is one thing, putting finger to key to berate another human being for something they had no control over is just unnecessary and deplorable.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • azoriangaming
    azoriangaming
    ✭✭✭✭
    No I blame the tank then the healer then the other dps.

on a more serious note no I've had no issues when I heal and I'm a very bad healer :wink: I think you just need to find the right people to play with.

Don't get disheartened by morons this is a good game and very enjoyable.
  • Saddiq
    Saddiq
    ✭✭✭
    I've only been outright attacked 2-3 times out of more than a hundred pug groupings. I kept my mouth shut (pointing out the lack of roll dodging to someone who blames the healer is an exercise in futility), made it through to where the group disbanded (those groupings never stood a chance, just not the right combo of people), and added them to my ignore list.

I'm in the habit of constantly asking for negative feedback at the end of a grouping. I've actually learned quite a bit from good teachers that way (and I don't mean adopting FOTM builds). You need a little bit a thick skin to deal with the idiots, but add them to your ignore list right after and very soon the world becomes a nice place again.

Like you've read throughout this [surprisingly] supportive set of answers, and like you'll read elsewhere, a healer is not responsible for keeping suicidal players alive. In fact, it's almost 'irresponsible' to waste your magicka on suicidal folks, thus stripping you of what you need for the people actually contributing.

The 'ignore' feature is a wonderful feature. Use it.
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also what megaserver is this? I've never tolerated or seen much of, for that matter, player abuse in any of the groups I've ran in Cyrodiil.

Unless some knucklehead refuses to follow directions and is directly responsible for the wiping of the group.

IE: The entire group is stealthed at a certain location and 1 individual thinks it's a great idea to stand up, giving away the position of the entire group and then all of a sudden 3 Fire Ballista's rocket in from 3 different angles, overlapping and wiping the majority of the group.

Those types of bobo's I unload on. Especially if it was on purposes, if they're new to Cyrodiil, that's great, they'll learn but if they aren't apologetic and don't own up to their screw-up, I assume they're a spy and a troll and proceed to punt them from group as viciously as possible and name and shame the HELL out of them in zone chat.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT