Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Download stuck at 0KB/s but % Complete is rising

ItalianNick501
I am currently downloading ESO and encountering problems.

The download speed was varying between 20KB/s to 1MB/s at the beginning, but now it is stuck at 0KB/s. I am posting from the computer so I obviously have an internet connection.

Despite the 0KB/s download speed the percent complete of the download is rising. When it hit 0KB/s I was at 1% downloaded with 25GB to go but as I post this it has increased to 9% downloaded with a little less than before to go.

My options are limited as I am on my universities network. I am currently using the secure, ethernet connection option (there is also unsecure wifi and secure wifi) and their ISP is Time Warner Cable.
  • ItalianNick501
    Update #1:
    It's been 2 hours and the KB/s have increasing from 0 to 10 and back to 0. The percent complete has risen to 10%.
    Edited by ItalianNick501 on January 29, 2015 10:20PM
  • ItalianNick501
    Update #2:
    The download speed is now jumping around again from 200KB/s to 1.70MB/s. This happened when I started to play WoW while I wait for ESO.
  • Humpypants
    lucky you. My EU megaserver download was fast and smooth. My NA megaserver download is extremely slow to the point of where my free 30 days will be up before the download finishes.

something is messed up with the U.S. megaserver download. Tried to contact customer support through email and getting a the typical "it's your fault here is how you can fix it" message.

oh by the way, I'm in the U.S. so.. yeah.
    Edited by Humpypants on January 30, 2015 5:51AM
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @ItalianNick501,

This may be an issue with your connection based on how your university allows downloads. We've known a few instances of large network spaces (universities, big offices, etc) that have put strict download rules in place in order to keep the web speedy for everyone. Needs of the many, etc.

That said, we do have a knowledge base article that may help with your download speeds. We'll include that in a spoiler below due to the length.
    If the download and installation process is running slow, there are several temporary solutions:

First, players should try temporarily disabling the firewall and anti-virus. Default Windows firewalls will come on automatically after others are disabled, so keep in mind that the Windows firewall may need to be disabled, too. Always remember to turn them on again after the download completes.

Players can also try opening the following ports on their router:
    •TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131
    •TCP / UDP Ports 24300 through 24331
    •TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507

If that doesn't work, they can try bypassing the router and plugging the computer in directly to the internet source to improve download speeds.

Download speeds are also related to internet connection speed, which can act as a limiting factor. If the overall connection speed seems slow, players can verify it through a third party source like SpeedTest. This site, and many others, will calculate internet connection speed (higher numbers are better). If it turns out that the overall internet connection speed is slow, we recommend the players to contact their Internet Service Provider and have them troubleshoot the connection with them.

Last but not least, they can change the Maximum Download Speed of the launcher. Click on the gear icon in the top right-hand corner to open up the Launcher Settings, scroll down to the bottom of the menu, and look for the section titled Maximum Download Speed. Click on the drop-down menu and select 5MBps. This should help speed things up!

Your best bet may be contacting the IT office at your university to see if those ports are open, or if there are any back-end rules in place that would limit your download speed. If there's any other way we can help, please let us know!
    Edited by ZOS_GaryA on January 30, 2015 2:29PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • ItalianNick501
    It's running smoothly again, about 1.5MB/s. I did get a "Webget request failed" so I googled it which led to http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/88717/webget-request-failed. While reading the download resumed, but reading that thread I do remember an issue with downloading the beta for ESO last year because of Trend Micro. If Trend Micro gives me problems in the future, which files do I make exceptions for?
  • ItalianNick501
    The "Webget request failed" is now intermitent. It's downloading, then Webget fail, downloading, Webget fail, and this repeats. What do I make exceptions for in Trend Micro?
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @ItalianNick501,

Generally we recommend making an exception for the entire ESO installation folder. If your anti-virus isn't able to make exceptions for whole folders, ensure that you include items that are "applications" within that folder, as indicated by the "Type" section in Windows Explorer. So items like the Bethesda.net_Launcher, ESO.exe, etc.

Let us know if that helps!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • ItalianNick501
    Exceptions made are as follows:
    C:\Users\<name>\Desktop\The Elder Scrolls Online.Ink
    D:\Launcher
    D:\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe
    D:\The Elder Scrolls Online
    D:\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe

I have to install ESO on D because C does not have the space.