The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

"Webget request failed"

derry
derry
I'm trying to download the ptr using the eso launcher so i can take part. Everytime it gets to 20% it says "Webget request failed" and stops downloading.
There's no issue with my connection. I'm running the launcher as administrator. I have the full game already on my computer so its not a software issue.
Any idea what i should do to get it working?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The part of launcher program where updates and installs are done is horribly written with respect to failure recovery. Hopefully some one there will fix it.

When you get the "WebGet Fails" or the even worse "Content Write Failed", it will eventually retry. The problem with the "Content Write Failed" message is that when it recovers from that it takes a step back and tries to download more, which does nothing but compound the problem.

It can take a day or two for the launcher to sort itself out, given the large amount of data, the slow download rate, and the fact that they redownload the same content over and over.

Of course, if they do a maintenance while the launcher is sorting itself out, you have to start all over again.

Fortunately, if it was able to install the latest patch, you can run eso.exe directly (on Windows) even when the launcher thinks your game is invalid. If you have the proper level installed already, the launcher is not really adding anything new, it is just downloading files to keep busy.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ZOS_PierreL
    ZOS_PierreL
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

You could find some steps in this thread :
    My launcher stopped downloading at XY% giving me the error message: Webget request failed!
    You might want to let the error sit for about 15 minutes, sometimes, the download will resume. Try to close the launcher and run as administrator when re-launching. if that doesn't help. To run as administrator, go to program files, right-click on launcher.exe and choose: "Run as Administrator".
    If you have a desktop shortcut and try to open the launcher from there, try to run it directly from the program files. Sometimes malware causes the webGet to fail, so running an anti-virus program can fix this issue as well.
    *Update:
    Customers currently using Trend Micro protection software may need to to make sure there is an exception for The Elder Scrolls Online.

Also, feel free to open those ports for a better connexion.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • kendrickdk
    kendrickdk
    Soul Shriven
    Received the "Webget request failed" message toward the end of the download. All I had to do was add an exception to my norton antivirus and it fixed it.
  • chrissouza7ub17_ESO
    Hello all,

You could find some steps in this thread :
    My launcher stopped downloading at XY% giving me the error message: Webget request failed!
    You might want to let the error sit for about 15 minutes, sometimes, the download will resume. Try to close the launcher and run as administrator when re-launching. if that doesn't help. To run as administrator, go to program files, right-click on launcher.exe and choose: "Run as Administrator".
    If you have a desktop shortcut and try to open the launcher from there, try to run it directly from the program files. Sometimes malware causes the webGet to fail, so running an anti-virus program can fix this issue as well.
    *Update:
    Customers currently using Trend Micro protection software may need to to make sure there is an exception for The Elder Scrolls Online.

Also, feel free to open those ports for a better connexion.

Opening ports •TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131 •TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507 •TCP / UDP Ports 24300 through 24331
    on your router "as in port forwarding" will allow anyone on the Internet to exploit your computer on those ports.
    Port forwarding allows remote computers (for example, computers on the Internet) to connect to a specific computer or service within a private local-area network (LAN).
    The only reason to "forward a port" is if you are hosting a game, a website, a TeamSpeak server, etc. from one of your PCs / Servers.
    The way ESO is suppose to work: Your computer fires off ESO executable, in that executable it contacts ZOS login / patch server on one of the ports listed above, possibly on others. Now since your PC has initiated the opening of a port through your firewall/router it is now ok for traffic from ESO @ said IP address: port number to return traffic on that port.
    This is not a fix and ZOS should not be asking us to do it. Your asking to get hacked if you do. ZOS needs to spend some time and investigate this problem and come up with the proper fix.
  • Humpypants
    I disabled AVG and it's running smooth so far
  • Titansteele
    Titansteele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have spent well over two days trying to get the PTS install done and it has nothing to do with download speed.

I kicked off the install before I went to work, came back 10 hours later and it was stuck on 15%.

I turned off my firewall, ran a virus scan, restarted, disabled my anti virus, ran the launch as admin and even opened ports which I was loathed to do. None of it has worked.

I have been watched the utilization on my network card, the download starts and gets the full download my connection allows (45Meg) for around 5 seconds, then it drops to 0 and the launcher hangs for a bit before "Webget request failed" kicks in and it has never auto recovered from that state yet.

All I need to do to restart the cycle is to pause and resume the process using the button on the launcher.

I am 1 gig away from having the thing in place now after what feels like hundreds of restarts and manual actions. I am seriously questioning my own sanity that I have sat here for this long nursing this thing through.

I have search the forums and seen threads on this since Beta, you would think that by now this would be addressed and resolved.
    Guild Leader of The Twelve Knights, AD PVE, PVP and Trading Guild on the EU Mega Server

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
  • xChikoun
    xChikoun
    Soul Shriven
    Same problem as Titansteele, except that i'm having this problem while trying to download the patches for LIVE server for the very first time (just brought the DvDs).
    If anyone happens to know how to make it works..
  • The_Grecian
    The_Grecian
    Soul Shriven
    I am also suffering with this problem. I have recently bought and installed the game using the 4 disks and i am trying to do the game launcher update.
    I keep getting the WebGate Request Failed come up and have tried everything that is suggested on here https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3040/?_ga=1.213246993.420411451.1422820888 to which nothing has worked.
    The only thing i have been able to do is watch it and pause the download and resume everytime i get the problem.
    The other thing im worried about is that it is also just over half way through the download that shows remaining after 15 hours or more but the progress bar has only slightly moved and it is also only saying 4% done
    If anyone has any ideas or suggestions i would be extremely grateful as i am getting rather frustrated and just want to play
  • wecanrock1
    wecanrock1
    Soul Shriven
    Not sure if this helps, but when I clicked game options (above the news section), clicked cancel, and then clicked the update button, the webget error didn't appear for a while. I have the exact same problem, but it might not work for other people. Hope this might help some.
  • matty79321ub17_ESO
    matty79321ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I just made a windows defender exception to the Bethesda.net_Launcher process, working fine. If you are having an issue with WebGet requests failing, first try to make an exception for the laucher.
  • Caph
    Caph
    ✭✭✭
    Turned off anti-virus (AVG). Added launcher as an exception. Tried all steps listed here. Nothing works and I'm stuck at 11%.. Would be good to make it easier for people to get into the game. Good first step to get more players back! :)
    Lost interest in the game and canceled subscription. Maybe I'll come back if I gain interest again.
    Co Guild Master of Baby Face Bananas
    World record time Hel Ra (8min 08sec)
    Eu record time AA (8min 44sec)
    AA/Hel ra HM done.
  • wolfqueen
    wolfqueen
    Soul Shriven
    I have been having the same problems. It takes forever for the update to download if it moves at all. Most of the time it has completely stopped. Would be nice to play the game I paid for
  • ivanprgin123eb17_ESO
    ivanprgin123eb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    got same problem. Tried everything, i don't get it.. If i pay 55€ i expect it to install without a problem, not this *** -.-
  • Gilgret
    Gilgret
    Soul Shriven
    I managed to make it work after 4 days. I was getting the same error (stucked at 8% and later 23%) and I tried everything before (closing virus protection, closing firewall, opening ports, uninstalling the game/deleting folders, flushing DNS, editing user logs, adjusting router settings, disabling proxy, etc.) None of those worked for me but I started my pc in safe mode and only then the launcher began to work. Download was very slow but I saw the 100% at last.

PS: You may get webget error again, simply click Resume button.

For win 8 users: type msconfig.exe in the search box and restart with safe-mode (w/ network)
    (I suggest you to try everything within the brackets above as well).

w8wgr.jpg
    Edited by Gilgret on May 21, 2016 9:19AM
    - Asli
  • BalgusFlinn
    BalgusFlinn
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot believe this is still a problem. Just happened to me downloading 2.0.10. I found if you grab the window like your going to move it, and put something on the button to hold it down the download is more stable. But still unbelievably slow.
  • Rescorla_ESO
    Rescorla_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still a problem for me as well despite following all the tech support recommendations. I like the game but the patcher is the worst of any MMO I have ever played.
  • Jambane
    Jambane
    Soul Shriven
    I got this game today on sale, started to download it and I got this error. For someone brand new to the game this is the worst first impression you could make. I have no idea if or when I'll be able to play the game at all!
  • Rescorla_ESO
    Rescorla_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trying to download the Imperial City DLC for PTS and I've already gotten this error at least 20 times and that isn't an exaggeration.

• RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same for me, http and webjet error each time I try to download the 2.1. It's a little annoying, and when I've quit and re-launch the launcher, I have to download all the maj again…

Nota bene : I'm on Mac, not on Windows (so no admin launch).

Edit : after pause, resume, pause, resume, pause, resume… during the first 1000M (one error each 5-10M), and the the launcher haven't got any more error. PTS downloaded at least, but two hours lost with these errors.
    Edited by RoyJade on July 29, 2015 11:25AM
  • mrfr0sty
    mrfr0sty
    ✭✭
    Same error for me aswell. Tried all the above fixes but nothing works so far... stuck at 22% for 12 hours!!
  • yv3tt3
    yv3tt3
    same here.

webget...

please zenimax help us !
    Edited by yv3tt3 on July 29, 2015 5:38PM
  • xxMrVengance
    xxMrVengance
    Soul Shriven
    Hey guys,

I had this problem and just managed to get round it. It was to do with my internet provider and mainly my router. I am with Virgin Media, apparently their new firmware update clashes with the ESO update launcher and so you end up with the "web get request failed".... I had it for ages...

Long story short. Turn your router to modem mode and it should work. Mine did and I have been happily playing it since. I hope this at least works for some of you!! If not then I hope they can help you get round it.

Cheers!
    account: @xxMrVengance
    Steam: xx MrVengance
  • twisted_monkey
    twisted_monkey
    Soul Shriven
    Hey everyone,

I have also faced this problem, but mine was solved rather easily. As with most down-loaders, ESO also uses the settings of your Internet Explorer. Sometimes it happens that your internet settings shows a tick on use a proxy server. Most connections that I know do not use a proxy server. Just uncheck the same and it usually gets resolved.

For Internet explorer go to Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings and uncheck the use a proxy server for your LAN.

Please note to pause your ESO download while doing this and once done, just resume. It will pick up from where it left off.

Hope this helps.
  • grantman2013b14_ESO
    has anyone found a solution
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so I got the same error at 19%. Tried the Run as Administrator thing and now it is slowly verifying everything I downloaded (some 20gb).

This is still a problem and not the best greeting to a returning beta player...
    [/quote="twisted_monkey;2699487"]Hey everyone,

I have also faced this problem, but mine was solved rather easily. As with most down-loaders, ESO also uses the settings of your Internet Explorer. Sometimes it happens that your internet settings shows a tick on use a proxy server. Most connections that I know do not use a proxy server. Just uncheck the same and it usually gets resolved.

For Internet explorer go to Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings and uncheck the use a proxy server for your LAN.

Please note to pause your ESO download while doing this and once done, just resume. It will pick up from where it left off.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

My settings are already unchecked and this still occurred for me so it is not a fix this above at least for my pc

Edited by Stratti on March 11, 2016 10:58AM
  • ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    This thread has been closed as it from 2016
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.