B2P rumour about ESO on internet

• Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »
    JD2013 wrote: »
    How many threads is this now? Although this is B2P instead of F2P so it's a start ....

Make it stop. Please someone make it stop.

How many comments in these threads that bump them back to the top that simply say "another one?" You want it to stop? Easy, don't post in this thread...

And no, I don't want it to stop. I want no BS answers about:

1. removal of 6 month sub option as a new payment option but why it can still be renewed as 6 months.
    2. continuing reports that some physical copy vendors (not just EB Australia any longer) are telling their outlets to remove ESO from shelves,
    3. Why are gametime cards also being removed from those same stores, and
    4. Why is this happening only in Australia and NA retailers are continuing box and game time cards sales as usual.

Now those 4 things are not rumors - those are facts. The rumors are the speculation about what all those things add up to.

And whether you like it or not, the speculation will continue until simple, no BS answers come from ZOS.

1. There weren't enough people getting it, and they make more money from the other subs.
    2. "Continuing reports" from one source that apparently thinks that one chain in Australia constitutes a country-wide shortage of games. IGN is desperate to appear journalistic. No one with any sense is buying it.
    3. See above.
    4. See above.

ZO started out their game with a very simple, no BS explanation: there are no plans to take the game in the free-to-play direction. Your insistence on not believing that will not change if they say the same thing again.

Kotaku, The Escapist, Venture Capital, PC Gamer, mmorpg.com, massively, Gamespot... even Christian Today lol... the speculation is happening everywhere

Key word: Speculation. There is also rampant speculation about Bigfoot and Aliens.

Options
  • Messy1
    Messy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG there's a rumor? On the internet? Really? Something about something?
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alphashado wrote: »
    How many threads is this now? Although this is B2P instead of F2P so it's a start ....

How many comments in these threads that bump them back to the top that simply say "another one?" You want it to stop? Easy, don't post in this thread...

1. removal of 6 month sub option as a new payment option but why it can still be renewed as 6 months.
    2. continuing reports that some physical copy vendors (not just EB Australia any longer) are telling their outlets to remove ESO from shelves,
    4. Why is this happening only in Australia and NA retailers are continuing box and game time cards sales as usual.

Now those 4 things are not rumors - those are facts. The rumors are the speculation about what all those things add up to.

And whether you like it or not, the speculation will continue until simple, no BS answers come from ZOS.

1. There weren't enough people getting it, and they make more money from the other subs.
    2. "Continuing reports" from one source that apparently thinks that one chain in Australia constitutes a country-wide shortage of games. IGN is desperate to appear journalistic. No one with any sense is buying it.
    3. See above.
    4. See above.

ZO started out their game with a very simple, no BS explanation: there are no plans to take the game in the free-to-play direction. Your insistence on not believing that will not change if they say the same thing again.

Kotaku, The Escapist, Venture Capital, PC Gamer, mmorpg.com, massively, Gamespot... even Christian Today lol... the speculation is happening everywhere

Key word: Speculation. There is also rampant speculation about Bigfoot and Aliens.

Neither Bigfoot nor the aliens can issue a concise and clear press release to stop the rumors. ZOS, on the other hand ...

Options
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Oh please ESO go F2P bc I deserve everything free and you deserve nothing for your hard work to bring consistent quality entertainment to meez"

desperate-woman-2.jpg
    Options
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

3. See above.
    4. See above.

Neither Bigfoot nor the aliens can issue a concise and clear press release to stop the rumors. ZOS, on the other hand ...

They already have. How many times do you want them to say it? 10 times? 100 times? 1000 times? You want them to release an official statement every time someone on the internet starts a rumor? There was a guy on MMORPG last week swearing he knew a friend at ZOS that PROMISED him there was gonna be a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT about going B2P by the end of the week. Well the end of the week has come and gone and guess what? It was all total bullsht. So do you really expect ZoS to make an official statement every time some random dude on the internet starts spewing total bullsht?

There are times when I wish they would say something, but at the end of the day it won't matter one little bit because barely a week would go by and more rumors would start and more people would be demanding an official response. We have already gotten an official response and it still isn't enough to pacify people.

At the end of the day there will always be people that are desperate for this game to lose the sub model just so they can relish in the "I told you so". It's been that way since day one. Those same people have been grasping at straws since day one. Well here we are almost a year after launch and guess what? They are STILL WRONG and the game STILL ISN'T F2P.
    Edited by Alphashado on January 17, 2015 8:54AM
    Options
  • heystreethawk
    heystreethawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't actually checked, but there's no way that Bigfoot doesn't have a Twitter account.
    GM of Fantasia
    I heard those symphonies come quick
    Options
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They already have. How many times do you want them to say it? 10 times? 100 times? 1000 times? You want them to release an official statement every time someone on the internet starts a rumor? There was a guy on MMORPG last week swearing he knew a friend at ZOS that PROMISED him there was gonna be a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT about going B2P by the end of the week. Well the end of the week has come and gone and guess what? It was all total bullsht. So do you really expect ZoS to make an official statement every time some random dude on the internet starts spewing total bullsht?

There are times when I wish they would say something, but at the end of the day it won't matter one little bit because barely a week would go by and more rumors would start and more people would be demanding an official response. We have already gotten an official response and it still isn't enough to pacify people.

Well said, can you find that quote or video where Sage I think states clearly that they will shut the game down before going F2P?
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

3. See above.
    4. See above.

No not every time a frigging troll in a forum post says it. Only when the WHOLE FRIGGING GAMING MEDIA is saying it.

Maybe the highlight will help you see the difference between one troll and all the media.
    Options
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

3. See above.
    4. See above.

No not every time a frigging troll in a forum post says it. Only when the WHOLE FRIGGING GAMING MEDIA is saying it.

Maybe the highlight will help you see the difference between one troll and all the media.

Yet here we are still paying a subscription and ESO is laughing all the way to the bank with all the free press. I used that guy as an example. Just one example of many examples of these rumors getting proven wrong time and time again.

Edited by Alphashado on January 17, 2015 9:03AM
    Options
  • NadiusMaximus
    NadiusMaximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So,,,,,? Oh Mar Guuuuuuuurrrrrrrddddddddd Eso is shutting down!

I heard it was shutting down.

A guy in a forum said it was shutting down. It was in the official forum.

A comment was made in the official forum the game is shutting down.

I read were a forum official said it was getting shut down.

Game forum is officially shutting down says ZOS.

ZOS says it is officially shutting down the forums.

Ohhhhhh mahhhhhhh guerrrrrrdddddd, the forums shutting down.!
    Edited by NadiusMaximus on January 17, 2015 9:03AM
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

3. See above.
    4. See above.

Yet here we are still paying a subscription and ESO is laughing all the way to the bank with all the free press. I used that guy as an example. Just one example of many examples of these rumors getting proven wrong time and time again.

You must have seen a movie from the 30s where someone said "There's no such thing as bad publicity" :)

Well it doesn't work like that in the Internet age, Just google "smedley air drops" or take a look in Steam at the red "mixed" reviews for H1Z1 that came out yesterday. Bad PR doesn't help anyone and uncertainty about the future of a game doesn't either.

Options
  • Flynch
    Flynch
    ✭✭✭✭

3. See above.
    4. See above.

Here is how contemporary gaming news sites work:

bandwagon553-2099511.jpg
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But go ahead and cover your eyes and ears if that makes you feel better.

These sites are just quoting each other and repeating quotes that are present in other places. There is no new information to present.

The only information that is changing is the list of sites repeating the same information.

Repeating a rumor 100 times does not make it 100 times more likely to be true. One hundred people can be just as wrong as one person.

It comes down to what are they saying, where did they get their information, and is the information something new.

Whether true of false, I am fascinated by the forensics of rumors. Who was the person with the insight to see something that was not yet understood by everyone else? Who was the person who completely misread the situation and caused the rumor and was it done with malice?

Did you know this version of the rumor started on December 22, 2014 (see my signature) right here in the ESO forums? All of the worry over EB Games, the various stores in Australia and Netherlands, and even the reason behind the 180-day subscription, goes back to this forum on December 22, 2014. I have not been able to trace it back in time further than that. The issue did not exist before this time.

All subsequent developments in the rumor come from there. This includes the reason for the removal of product from stores in Australia and Netherlands. This includes the statement by the game store employee in Australia. The lines were drawn due to the fact that the rumor about F2P was already in the air due to the 6-month subscription removal.

Without this rumor already being in place, the idea of Free To Play would not have been associated with the removal of product from stores. The probable rumor from such an event would have been, "ESO subscriptions continue to fall as Christmas sales disappoint."

Sadly, you cannot use this rumor, or any of the "mounting" evidence, as an indication of whether Zenimax and Bethesda are intending to drop subscriptions.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Morshire
    Morshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously - This picture shows the absolute certainty that things you see on the internet are 100% factual. This "beast" washed up from the drains of ZOS with a message that ESO was going F2P and before they could get its "official" statement, they killed it to keep it quite. No lie, I swear it, the other guy on that other site swears it, and after you see the photo, you will swear it too.
    Mystery-Creature-Washes-Up-On-Shore-In-Philippines-After-Typhoon-Haiyan.jpg

Edited by Morshire on January 17, 2015 6:34PM
    Follow me if I advance, Kill me if I retreat, Avenge me if I die.

When this immediate evil power has been defeated, we shall not yet have won the long battle with the elemental barbarities. Another evil, it may be an invisible adversary, will attempt, again, and yet again, to destroy our frail civilization. Is it true, I wonder, that the only way to escape a war is to be in it?

If I die, you are forgiven, If I live, I will kill you.
    Options
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

3. See above.
    4. See above.

Explains everything. ZOS used alien technology to build this game. Big foot is a programmer. Now we know why there is so much silence from ZOS......
    Stop talking about this or you might receive a visit from the men in black.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

These sites are just quoting each other and repeating quotes that are present in other places. There is no new information to present.

The only information that is changing is the list of sites repeating the same information.

Repeating a rumor 100 times does not make it 100 times more likely to be true. One hundred people can be just as wrong as one person.

It comes down to what are they saying, where did they get their information, and is the information something new.

Whether true of false, I am fascinated by the forensics of rumors. Who was the person with the insight to see something that was not yet understood by everyone else? Who was the person who completely misread the situation and caused the rumor and was it done with malice?

Did you know this version of the rumor started on December 22, 2014 (see my signature) right here in the ESO forums? All of the worry over EB Games, the various stores in Australia and Netherlands, and even the reason behind the 180-day subscription, goes back to this forum on December 22, 2014. I have not been able to trace it back in time further than that. The issue did not exist before this time.

All subsequent developments in the rumor come from there. This includes the reason for the removal of product from stores in Australia and Netherlands. This includes the statement by the game store employee in Australia. The lines were drawn due to the fact that the rumor about F2P was already in the air due to the 6-month subscription removal.

Without this rumor already being in place, the idea of Free To Play would not have been associated with the removal of product from stores. The probable rumor from such an event would have been, "ESO subscriptions continue to fall as Christmas sales disappoint."

Sadly, you cannot use this rumor, or any of the "mounting" evidence, as an indication of whether Zenimax and Bethesda are intending to drop subscriptions.

It really doesn't matter where the rumor started.

What matters is that enough of the mainstream media has reported it as possible that it has become the main narrative about ESO in the public's consciousness at the moment.

That is not good PR. Especially not when it competes with what was formerly in the public consciousness about ESO: steady improvement and buzz over the very cool things coming in Update 6.

It matters what people are saying about your game and what parts of it they're discussing. So good PR departments intervene to control the message whenever it's warranted. Especially to nip potentially harmful rumors in the bud.

People who write for a living understand this. So when they see a rumor spread and when it's reported by the mainstream media and the only thing the company's PR department says is "we don't comment on rumors," that lack of denial becomes part of the story and adds credibility to the rumor.

So... what are the possible good reasons for not issuing a short and clear denial that stops this and gets the focus back on clear positives like the Justice System, etc.?

I've worked for an organization that is very much in the public's eye for many years. While there I have been involved many times in deciding when, where and what we say publicly to correct the message when it needs correcting,.. or better yet, create the message and get out in front of it. Misreporting, rumors and misunderstanding happen all the time, What you don't do is ignore them.

So which do you consider more likely? That quashing the rumor is beneath their dignity or that maybe there is something to it?

Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What matters is that enough of the mainstream media has reported it as possible that it has become the main narrative about ESO in the public's consciousness at the moment.

That is not good PR. Especially not when it competes with what was formerly in the public consciousness about ESO: steady improvement and buzz over the very cool things coming in Update 6.

It matters what people are saying about your game and what parts of it they're discussing. So good PR departments intervene to control the message whenever it's warranted. Especially to nip potentially harmful rumors in the bud.

People who write for a living understand this. So when they see a rumor spread and when it's reported by the mainstream media and the only thing the company's PR department says is "we don't comment on rumors," that lack of denial becomes part of the story and adds credibility to the rumor.

So... what are the possible good reasons for not issuing a short and clear denial that stops this and gets the focus back on clear positives like the Justice System, etc.?

I've worked for an organization that is very much in the public's eye for many years. While there I have been involved many times in deciding when, where and what we say publicly to correct the message when it needs correcting,.. or better yet, create the message and get out in front of it. Misreporting, rumors and misunderstanding happen all the time, What you don't do is ignore them.

So which do you consider more likely? That quashing the rumor is beneath their dignity or that maybe there is something to it?

Let's be a little more clear about the term reporting.

IGN "reports" on one game store removing the game from shelves. They speculate about what it could mean (incorrectly). Kotaku then reports that IGN is reporting that ESO is going free-to-play. PC Gamer then reports that Kotaku reports that IGN is reporting that ESO is going free-to-play. At this point, everyone is able to get in a big circle and claim that "multiple media outlets are reporting" this rumor, when in reality, the story was only reported by one outlet, IGN.

IGN's coverage of this is a joke. They're looking to get people with no common sense to click on their articles, and it's clearly working. So good for their publicity team.

ZO has been clear on this matter already. They do not need to explain the actions of one minor retailer in a country that has about the population of Texas.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You guys really call IGN and PC Gamer mainstream media? All they did was repeat a rumor some click bait site had so they could do some click baiting of their own. Mainstream media rofl. Please.
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

IGN "reports" on one game store removing the game from shelves. They speculate about what it could mean (incorrectly). Kotaku then reports that IGN is reporting that ESO is going free-to-play. PC Gamer then reports that Kotaku reports that IGN is reporting that ESO is going free-to-play. At this point, everyone is able to get in a big circle and claim that "multiple media outlets are reporting" this rumor, when in reality, the story was only reported by one outlet, IGN.

IGN's coverage of this is a joke. They're looking to get people with no common sense to click on their articles, and it's clearly working. So good for their publicity team.

ZO has been clear on this matter already. They do not need to explain the actions of one minor retailer in a country that has about the population of Texas.

Even the hardcore ESO fans like us have a hard time finding those "clear on this matter" statements - most of which are from 2013.

All that a casual reader of the gaming press "knows" is that ESO may be going F2P because they see un-denied allegations. And you know what? Many of them do have common sense.
    Options
  • badmojo0777b14_ESO
    badmojo0777b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    a rumor is just that, a rumor. I personally wouldn't even justify it with a response. if ZOS did, they would have to respond to every idiot with a rumor, and they wouldn't have time for anything else.
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You guys really call IGN and PC Gamer mainstream media? All they did was repeat a rumor some click bait site had so they could do some click baiting of their own. Mainstream media rofl. Please.

So which gaming press sites don't cause you to rofl? Kotaku, Gamespot, The Escapist, mmorpg.com not good enough for you?
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even the hardcore ESO fans like us have a hard time finding those "clear on this matter" statements - most of which are from 2013.

All that a casual reader of the gaming press "knows" is that ESO may be going F2P because they see un-denied allegations. And you know what? Many of them do have common sense.

As recently as June of 2014, Paul Sage was directly quoted as saying that there are no plans for ESO to go off the subscription model. Now, that's not going to be good enough for anyone with an axe to grind, but for the majority of the thinking population, it's enough to put ridiculous conspiracy theories like this to rest.

The game isn't going free-to-play. People have been claiming it's going free-to-play since beta, and they've been wrong, exactly the same way that you are currently wrong. Just give it a rest.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

As recently as June of 2014, Paul Sage was directly quoted as saying that there are no plans for ESO to go off the subscription model. Now, that's not going to be good enough for anyone with an axe to grind, but for the majority of the thinking population, it's enough to put ridiculous conspiracy theories like this to rest.

The game isn't going free-to-play. People have been claiming it's going free-to-play since beta, and they've been wrong, exactly the same way that you are currently wrong. Just give it a rest.

Oh you mean the one where he said "that I'm aware of" twice?

gamingbolt.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-interview-business-model-is-what-the-business-model-is

Well that clears it up forever then :)

Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

gamingbolt.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-interview-business-model-is-what-the-business-model-is

As I said, if you have an axe to grind, you'll find plenty of stones.

Everyone else is capable of understanding that Paul Sage works for a large company, and he is not in control of everyone else's thoughts. He can't speak for executives above him, so he has to couch all his statements in that type of rhetoric. It's a common practice in any field. But please, by all means, continue with the rambling conspiracy theories.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Everyone else is capable of understanding that Paul Sage works for a large company, and he is not in control of everyone else's thoughts. He can't speak for executives above him, so he has to couch all his statements in that type of rhetoric. It's a common practice in any field. But please, by all means, continue with the rambling conspiracy theories.

Well thank you.

Now that I have your permission, I'll continue not with the conspiracy theory but just the lack of a denial now that the issue has become the main ESO story out there in the gaming world press -- not just one or two trolls saying it.

If you want to ignore the whole thing, you have my permission to do so.
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well thank you.

Now that I have your permission, I'll continue not with the conspiracy theory but just the lack of a denial now that the issue has become the main ESO story out there in the gaming world press -- not just one or two trolls saying it.

You know, I've heard a rumor that Paul Sage is actually from Kenya. We haven't seen his birth certificate, and he hasn't denied it. Clearly, there's a distinct possibility that he's from Kenya.

Aliens.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well thank you.

You know, I've heard a rumor that Paul Sage is actually from Kenya. We haven't seen his birth certificate, and he hasn't denied it. Clearly, there's a distinct possibility that he's from Kenya.

Aliens.

I loved it when Obama said: "Just to be clear, I know where my birth certificate is,"

That's how you deal with dumb rumors.
    Options
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Going with any other model meant that we would have to make sacrifices and changes we weren't willing to make," Firor said. "We'll talk about further discounts, etc. later, but for now, we are very happy to finally announce our model. It's very simple - you pay once per month after the first 30 days and the entire game is available to you.

Enough said.
    Options
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    HAHAHA people are still listening to rumors.

Like when IGN had a podcast and first person said "I don't play MMO's" second said "I never played ESO" & third one said "Oh yeah that was a thing, I think Elder Scrolls Online is cancelled for Console"

Then other sites with hardcore inside information said that it was going to be cancelled and that they weren't even working on console versions Meanwhile ZOS said nothing then a month later released a picture of console UI with The Road Ahead.

Remember these are the same sites that said ZOS PROMISED a holiday release. Even though a month before it was even delayed for console Paul Sage said they couldn't guarantee it by the end of the year.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh.

Well, the only thing that I need to say after all that is that the reason that I bring up the source of the rumor is that it speaks to the credibility of the rumor itself. Not what ZOS and Bethesda are going to do, but the credibility of the rumor.

It is that credibility that determines whether Bethesda needs to respond to it. Bethesda has a limit to what they will tolerate. Credible or not, if the rumor reaches that bar, Bethesda will awaken and respond. As long as this continues to be just a crackpot rumor, they can wait.

I have already said that they will address the rumor. The probability that this will happen in January is not insignificant.

Edited by Elsonso on January 18, 2015 3:33AM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options