Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Road Ahead - December 4

ZOS_MattFiror
Greetings!

As we wrap up our PC/Mac launch year, I thought I’d use this blog not only as the usual “Road Ahead,” but also as a “Road Travelled” entry, looking back on what we’ve accomplished since launch and giving you an update on where we’re going next.

The Road Travelled

As you all know, 2014 has been a very busy year for us at ZOS. We launched ESO on PC and Mac and immediately started addressing any issues that cropped up, going on to release five huge updates that introduced new content, new systems, tweaks and fixes to existing systems, and tons more. We’ve done so much since launch, in fact, that we’ve sometimes run the risk of doing too much and disrupting your play routines or character builds with the frequent changes.

With everything we’ve done, we firmly believe that ESO is a much better, more stable, and more fun game than it was six months ago. This is the way online games like this work: the game you launch is a starting point that inevitably evolves over time—and of course, community feedback is one of the most important parts of that process. I am very happy with the evolution of ESO up to this point, and I hope you all agree.

Here’s just a small list of some of the work we’ve done to improve ESO in since launch:
  • Made in-game chat much more peaceful by implementing many different lines of defense against black market gold farmers, spammers, and botters
  • Fixed a far-reaching quest bug that prevented quests from advancing properly—a bug that plagued us through the first few weeks of launch
  • Released Craglorn, our first major update, with new Veteran Ranks, a new zone for veteran players to explore, and 12-player Trials
  • Released many Veteran Dungeons, giving veteran-ranked players the ability to experience new adventures that add to the dungeon storylines introduced in earlier levels
  • Re-designed many of the delves throughout Tamriel to be larger and more challenging
  • Introduced the Dragonstar Arena, which presents four-player groups with a progression of challenging PvE encounters
  • Introduced new quality-of-life systems like the ability to dye your armor, new upgraded conversation and face animations, guild tabards, chat bubbles, and much more
  • Smoothed combat animations and timing, which is an ongoing process
  • Reconfigured Campaigns in Cyrodiil to make them shorter and more interesting
  • Made repeatable dungeon and crafting quests, and implemented scaling dungeon difficulty
  • We’ve found (and are still finding!) solutions and are always applying changes to rectify our mistakes– we aren’t perfect, and this process will be ongoing, but we’re committed to continually improving the ESO experience
  • Worked to increase our overall transparency and communication with you, our community, which is also a continuing effort

We couldn’t be more excited about everything there is to look forward to in 2015. We’ll be introducing some of the new systems that we’ve talked about publicly over the last couple of months, and of course, we will be bringing ESO to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

For the team at ZOS, the remainder of 2014 will be spent working on one of our largest updates yet (more on that below) and continuing our work on the console versions. For you, this means that we will continue to listen to your feedback and make changes where needed with our regular smaller patch cadence of bug fixing and polishing, but we won’t be adding any new systems until Update 6 hits PTS in January.

Update 6 Coming in January

Our next update will come to PTS shortly after the first of the year. It’s going to be a big one, and will include both the Champion System and the Justice System.

The Champion System will include the new post-level 50 veteran progression changes we’ve been talking about for a few months now. We’ve done preparation work for the Champion System in updates 4 and 5, and Update 6 will include phase 3 of the system. This phase includes the ability to spend points in Champion Passives and many ability changes that complement the system.

cvixejuqtlhx.jpg

h3ojk9oecl42.jpg

We want to give everyone a heads up that we’ll be introducing the Justice System using a phased approach, much like what we’ve been doing with the Champion System. So, the first iteration of the Justice System will include Skyrim-style PvE elements—you’ll be able to steal from vendors, pickpocket NPCs, kill NPCs, have justice meted out to you by guards—but not with the PvP Enforcer part of the system.

pzhou7yj90pk.jpg

The most important reason to do this is to make sure that the Justice System has a solid foundation before adding the extra PvP elements. As most of you know, PvP is by its very nature extremely difficult to predict. We want to have a stable system in place to build on before we add more unpredictable elements.

882d71ocdh0x.jpg

To put this into perspective, the Justice System will include huge updates to the very fundamentals of the game. Townspeople will be considered neutral and be attackable, and many items that you could take freely before will be considered owned and must be stolen. There are fences who’ll buy stolen goods—if you can get past the guards while you have a bounty on your head. These are large changes to the game, and go hand-in-hand with our vision to add more freedom and sandbox-style elements to the world. It’s going to be a lot of fun, and we just need to make sure that we phase it in carefully to ensure the best experience for everyone.

Update 6 is so large that we’ll be holding the Imperial City PvP area for a future update. With all of our QA and testing resources focused on the far-reaching Justice and Champion Systems (along with other systems impacted by the update), we want to be sure that the Imperial City is fully ready when it hits PTS and moves on to launch.

Console Update

As I’ve mentioned, we have been (and will continue to be) steadily working on the Xbox One and Playstation 4 versions of ESO. They are playable and fun right now, but there's still some work to do before we can set an official launch date. First and foremost, we want to make sure that two of our most important systems still in development—the Justice and Champion Systems—are included in the console release. Those two systems will introduce a huge amount of content to the game, and we know everyone is looking forward to the new types of gameplay they provide.

t1c6nekocf2s.jpg

It’s also important to note that the Xbox One and Playstation 4 versions of ESO are not just ports of the PC/Mac game. We have completely replaced the PC user interface with a console-specific UI designed from the ground-up with a controller and a living room play experience in mind. We’ve also added voice chat and full integration with XBL and PSN. Expect to see lots of news about our console versions in early 2015.

Wrapping up 2014

Thanks for everything that you in the ESO Community have done for us over the last year. We will continue talk openly with you, react to feedback, fix problems, and move ESO forward together. Thank you so much for your input, your dedication, and for being involved.

Happy Holidays everyone, and we’ll see you in 2015!
Matt Firor
Studio Director, ZeniMax Online Studios
Staff Post
  • Rshidva
    Rshidva
    ✭✭✭
    This must be the single most awesome thing ever: Justice system plus Champion system
    Justice system I was expecting that in months. The Real Santa Clause will be hunting the bad boys and girls on his list :smile:
    Well, it is hard to contain my excitement at this point with the next mega update :)
    There is Love
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rshidva wrote: »
    This must be the single most awesome thing ever: Justice system plus Champion system
    Justice system I was expecting that in months. The Real Santa Clause will be hunting the bad boys and girls on his list :smile:
    Well, it is hard to contain my excitement at this point with the next mega update :)

And a console update oh my! :smiley:
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • rophez_ESO
    rophez_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuff sounds pretty good.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this is all we get? Half the space devoted to a recap? NOTHING for the PvP crowd? Hey I'm not much of a PvPer but Imma tell you....brace for the rage ZOS. Oh and not a peep about Spellcrafting? :(
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will probably be a minority request, but I would love to have the console UI and controller support as an option on the PC version.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    JUSTICE SYSTEM!!! Omgomgomgomgomg.

It's a bummer that we'll have to wait a little longer for the PvP elements of the Justice System to be implemented, but hell, I'm so excited for any part of it that I'll try and hold on a little longer!
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "With everything we’ve done, we firmly believe that ESO is a much better, more stable, and more fun game than it was six months ago."

You guys been to Cyrodiil lately?
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Does this mean the veteranranks will (finally) be ditched and all characters will be level 50?
  • yiunko
    yiunko
    ✭✭
    Amazing Road Ahead! Congrats ZOS!

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woeler wrote: »
    Does this mean the veteranranks will (finally) be ditched and all characters will be level 50?
    Possible, but unlikely, as I think think they are supposed to be running in parallel for a while first.

A shame there was no anticipated timeframe for the Imperial City, since the data files assets suggested that was further along than the Justice System - personally I will take the PvE Justice System being in over Imperial City, but those who were hoping for more PvP content will be disappointed since there's lots of PvE content already.
    Edited by Enodoc on December 4, 2014 4:34PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very excited!
  • lestaudenmaierub17_ESO
    So. If the UI for consoles is completely independent of the PC version does this mean we will begin to see updates for the PC UI to make it a little more keyboard/mouse friendly? I'm thinking things like ditching that horrendous Q-wheel and implementing hotkeys. Or movable window panes, a normal MMO inventory, etc.

Other than that, great job ZOS. I absolutely love the fact that you listen to the community and implement drastic changes to the game. A lot of the hate is unfounded [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 24, 2023 5:54PM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So. If the UI for consoles is completely independent of the PC version does this mean we will begin to see updates for the PC UI to make it a little more keyboard/mouse friendly? I'm thinking things like ditching that horrendous Q-wheel and implementing hotkeys. Or movable window panes, a normal MMO inventory, etc.

Other than that, great job ZOS. I absolutely love the fact that you listen to the community and implement drastic changes to the game. A lot of the hate is unfounded [snip]
    ^^ These things. If Greymind Quickslot Bar, Advanced Filters and Inventory Grid View were made standard (optional) parts of the UI, that would be great.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 24, 2023 5:54PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • davedesigns
    davedesigns
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_MattFiror‌

When will the Face FX animation system be coming to Mac? I feel like we were left out on update 5 after much anticipation...

Will there be voice chat coming to the PC game? I think this would be an awesome addition that would help with group combat and not have to be running Skype or another voice app.

Looking forward to hearing more about the additions and technical improvements. Console version looks nice from that screenshot by the way!
  • project-2501-84neb18_ESO
    Is this as well as the combat animations update or is that coming later? Thought that was coming in update 6.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really hoping there are no achievements connected to Justice system, I don't want to have to have my character be both a good and bad guy again to get achievements. :disagree:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • yiunko
    yiunko
    ✭✭
    I guess we have to wait to see the patch notes, but from what I can smell, Update 7 will be a PvP update, Imperial city, Justice PvP, etc
  • Goresnort
    Goresnort
    ✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    So this is all we get? Half the space devoted to a recap? NOTHING for the PvP crowd? Hey I'm not much of a PvPer but Imma tell you....brace for the rage ZOS. Oh and not a peep about Spellcrafting? :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYFGTf3M3Sc
    Edited by Goresnort on December 4, 2014 4:51PM
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yiunko wrote: »
    I guess we have to wait to see the patch notes, but from what I can smell, Update 7 will be a PvP update, Imperial city, Justice PvP, etc

Makes sense.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Is this as well as the combat animations update or is that coming later? Thought that was coming in update 6.
    Yes, there are a number of improvements to combat animations coming in Update 6.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
    I realise I'm probably in the minority with this one. But I for one was hoping for text integration for consoles (even if its just with bluetooth keyboards, as there are no chat pads out for either console yet.)
    You can't have an MMO without people spamming LFG WTS and WTB, it just isn't done.

Great road ahead though :)
  • teh_ninjaneer
    teh_ninjaneer
    ✭✭
    I just resubbed yesterday to check out all these neat new things.

Reading this info about Justice System implementation, it sounds like the first stage is all about getting players established as rogues and thieves. There's really not anything there for someone that wants to be on the side of the law. Those players have nothing to do until the PvP stage is introduced.

Am I missing something?

Also, is there any benefit to being a good guy? Other than being able to walk freely around town I guess.

Does Tamriel have a Goody Two-Shoes Guild?
  • jackleminer55
    jackleminer55
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ any hints on when this will be on the pts???? I am super excited and want to test it out ASAP!
    Yes, there are a number of improvements to combat animations coming in Update 6.
    Thanks!
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ any hints on when this will be on the pts???? I am super excited and want to test it out ASAP!
    As Matt mentioned, Update 6 will be available on the PTS in January. :) The patch notes are going to be big!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • jackleminer55
    jackleminer55
    ✭✭✭
    As Matt mentioned, Update 6 will be available on the PTS in January. :) The patch notes are going to be big!

haha yes I saw that right after I posted that lol :smile: I am going to read ALL of the patch notes as I'm waiting for it to download!
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are you frickin kidding me?! The console version get's integrated voice and a new UI?? We really have been beta testing this game for the console release. It's pretty obvious now why these patches and updates have been such crap, they are devoting their resources to the consoles. Can you please redo the PC UI from the ground up? It's terrible. Also some controller support would be really nice especially since it would be pretty easy to add the same XBox controller support to a PC.
    :trollin:
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well done! all looks good, but just like waiting for a perfect sweet roll i can smell it cooking and i just cant take the agony of waiting ...
  • Rshidva
    Rshidva
    ✭✭✭
    I just resubbed yesterday to check out all these neat new things.

Reading this info about Justice System implementation, it sounds like the first stage is all about getting players established as rogues and thieves. There's really not anything there for someone that wants to be on the side of the law. Those players have nothing to do until the PvP stage is introduced.

Am I missing something?

Also, is there any benefit to being a good guy? Other than being able to walk freely around town I guess.

Does Tamriel have a Goody Two-Shoes Guild?

Sharpen your blades, prepare your spells and feed your mount to be ready when the fruit is ripe for the picking:
    In times of peace prepare for war
    There is Love
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ Will veteranranks be completely gone after this update?