The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So... about that patch.

• sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    smacx250 wrote: »
    I think it is likely it is a 3rd party patching system (and probably used by other game vendors as well). From the launcher (which does the patching):

Copyright (C) Solid State Networks

http://www.solidstatenetworks.com

That's a fairly common launcher used by MMO's such as SWTOR. That def shouldn't be stopping them from doing delta updates since that's one of the features listed on the soild state networks website. At least they gave up a explexnation today. Thankfully I have fast internet, and left the ESO launcher open before going to class this morning. But I feel for people with slower internet or data caps.
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Niastissa
    Niastissa
    ✭✭✭
    Laggus wrote: »
    Niastissa wrote: »
    They're amateurs at best.

I've just cancelled my sub due to this, I'm not going to sit and waste my paying days downloading 12 GB of nothing much.

This too will pass. This is a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

Just think they are fixing issues and it's not like you will be downloading it for days.

I'm now at 4,300meg left and download speed dropped to 28kb/s..wait now 19kb/s and thats on a 200meg line. Some people have monthly download limits and stuff like this can seriously eat it up.
    I have found that if I leave the launcher open it will auto download the updates. It is already downloaded and ready to go as soon as I stepped into my office.

I understand the complaint for people on satellite but that is a price for living out in the country. My suggestion is buy a sprint cell phone with unlimited data and tethering. Then buy a signal booster so you get better signal and abuse that line to get the downloads at a fixed cost.

Edited by Niastissa on November 24, 2014 11:42PM
  • grimsfield
    grimsfield
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, how many people are on your QA team over there ZOS? Do you even have a QA team??
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ thank you for the timely response. While I understand sometimes things happen, and you have to implement something that is unintenional. I love the game, enjoy playing it, but could you please pass along the idea of a diff based paych system. This would build a lot of goodwill with the community, reduce download times, and make many folks happy.

Thanks again for all the support and everything you do, I want you to know that I appreciate it. I know you folks have a rough time dealing with us players sometimes, but all of you deserve some recognition and a pay raise for sticking your necks out there the way you do. So thank you. :)
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While this new patch issue sucks, I do appreciate the quick official answer about it. Thanks Q&A Gina.
    Wololo.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially sucks on dial-up

Who uses dial-up any more? You must be in Newfoundland, or somewhere similar that still insists that sucky dial-up internet is good enough, a decade after it became totally useless.

• Silver-Sabre
    Silver-Sabre
    ✭✭✭
    How do you get to folder titled VO EN?
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Who uses dial-up any more? You must be in Newfoundland, or somewhere similar that still insists that sucky dial-up internet is good enough, a decade after it became totally useless.

You'd be surprised how many places can only get dial up still even in the United States. I live in a fairly small town with a population of about 33,000. At my house I'm lucky enough to have two wireline broadband providers to choose from (a regional cable company, and AT&T U-verse). Literally right after my house though you can't get anything but dial-up or maybe 768kB DSL even though there are some good sized, and nice neighborhoods down the road.

I'm surprised the game would be playable though over dial-up, but I guess actually playing the game doesn't need much bandwidth just decent latency.
    Edited by sean.plackerb14_ESO on November 24, 2014 11:59PM
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do you get to folder titled VO EN?

It will be wherever you installed ESO. If you are using Windows its probably C:\Program Files(x86)\Elder Scrolls online or something similar.

Personally I'd recommend just letting the launcher run its course. I haven't seen anyone post saying that deleting that folder saved them any time.
    Edited by sean.plackerb14_ESO on November 25, 2014 12:05AM
  • themizario
    themizario
    ✭✭✭
    FML just tried to cancel and repair. Looks like I won't be playing today, or tomorrow. I should have known better.

That was some troll shtuf next they will tell us to reset our modems and routers.
  • Bogdan_Kobzar
    Bogdan_Kobzar
    ✭✭✭
    OMG!!!! Having a really big Internet pipe (117Mbps) I am stupefied that this is downloading at the speed of 275Kps. With 4700MB remaining to download, I should be able to play for at least a few minutes before the server shuts down and I have to download the next patch.
    And yes, thank you folks at Zenimax that actually listen to what we have to say.
    Now, if they followed standard software validation guidelines like the regulated industries, it would be a different story. But, as players, are we really willing to pay the extra costs to cover the additional overhead required for that type of QA/QC system? I'm not. So, I sit here and watch the completion bar s l o w l y increase.
    whine, whine, whine, grumble, grumble, hrrumpfff.
    "Being honorable might make you a good man, but it doesn't make you right. Be a better world if it did."
    Be mindful of Community Rules
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You'd be surprised how many places can only get dial up still even in the United States. I live in a fairly small town with a population of about 33,000. At my house I'm lucky enough to have two wireline broadband providers to choose from (a regional cable company, and AT&T U-verse). Literally right after my house though you can't get anything but dial-up or maybe 768kB DSL even though there are some good sized, and nice neighborhoods down the road.

I'm surprised the game would be playable though over dial-up, but I guess actually playing the game doesn't need much bandwidth just decent latency.

Wow, then some ISPs clearly need to be told to get out of the *** age and get rid of dial-up.

I mean, seriously, there's no good reason to still even offer dial-up service.

Oh, and what was censored is really an only-white slag word.
    Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on November 25, 2014 12:10AM
  • AryaWythers
    AryaWythers
    ✭✭✭
    woodsro wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ thank you for the timely response. While I understand sometimes things happen, and you have to implement something that is unintenional. I love the game, enjoy playing it, but could you please pass along the idea of a diff based paych system. This would build a lot of goodwill with the community, reduce download times, and make many folks happy.

Thanks again for all the support and everything you do, I want you to know that I appreciate it. I know you folks have a rough time dealing with us players sometimes, but all of you deserve some recognition and a pay raise for sticking your necks out there the way you do. So thank you. :)

Lol...for 60$ and 15$ a month from each player maybe they should reduce the fee's for all the loyal players before they think of giving pay raise with all the MANY problems with the game since launch

• Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey guys,

While you will need to download 12GB for today’s patch, the exceptionally large size was unintentional and is not typical for an incremental patch. While preparing for today’s maintenance, we needed a second build internally to fix an issue we encountered. Unfortunately, this means you are actually downloading both builds which is required for today’s patch to run. In the meantime, we do have a couple workarounds that you can try that may be faster and not as large:
    1. Cancel the patch and run a repair instead, or…
    2. Delete the folder titled “vo_en” and restart the launcher.
    We apologize for the inconvenience that this is causing, and will do everything we can to ensure it won’t happen again in the future.

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌

Its not the size that matters Gina, its the technique ;)

If you are still with me after that small joke,

a lot of us would like to have a better patching technique. Let us download parts of the patch in advance so that during patch day the actual download is very small and only a few MB.

A lot of MMO´s do have a background downloader, it downloads every new file you release in advance and it would help a lot. Sure 12GB if intentional or not is a lot but with a better technique it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol...for 60$ and 15$ a month from each player maybe they should reduce the fee's for all the loyal players before they think of giving pay raise with all the MANY problems with the game since launch

WoW has been charging $15/mo for the past decade. Even Wildstar doesn't ask for more.

$15/mo for unlimited, 24/7 access is pretty cheap in today's economy, unless you live in a really poor country. Even people on public assistance in Western countries can afford $15/mo for unlimited entertainment, and it's probably their best buy.

Patching techniques are another story.

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on November 25, 2014 12:17AM
  • BCBasher
    BCBasher
    ✭✭✭
    Can we at least get a little warning when these incremental patches are going to be over a gig if you don't screw up? I'm also on satellite for download and cell to play, my satellite company will even bump my cap for a reasonable price if I "warn" them I'm going to do it. I was not expecting even 6 gigs for the stuff that was supposed to be fixed and would have left my launcher running all day when I left for work but I slept in. I stumbled across and did your workaround while I was waiting for the screwed up one that you only told us about after someone complained. I know it's not the community mods that speak to us here but the people that they're speaking for look like a bunch of *** ups that would be fired before lunch on their first day anywhere I've ever worked. If you're new and you make a mistake admit it and offer a plan B before you get called on it.

5.6g at under 200kbs, *** nice.
    Edited by BCBasher on November 25, 2014 12:18AM
  • OrangeTheCat
    OrangeTheCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started download at 10:30 AM. It's now 4:17 PM and this is where I'm at:

N9C4BmD.png?1
  • AryaWythers
    AryaWythers
    ✭✭✭

WoW has been charging $15/mo for the past decade. Even Wildstar doesn't ask for more.

$15/mo for unlimited, 24/7 access is pretty cheap in today's economy, unless you live in a really poor country.

Yeah I played WoW almost a decade ago and it never had as many problems as ESO. PvP has had so many problems since launch amongst so many other problems also. Played so many other MMO's since then also....and haven't seen so many mistakes is all I'm saying is not to reward mistakes with pay raises as previous poster stated :)

• isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

$15/mo for unlimited, 24/7 access is pretty cheap in today's economy, unless you live in a really poor country.

Yeah I played WoW almost a decade ago and it never had as many problems as ESO. PvP has had so many problems since launch amongst so many other problems also. Played so many other MMO's since then also....and haven't seen so many mistakes is all I'm saying is not to reward mistakes with pay raises as previous poster stated :)

PvP can never be balanced, outside of making all classes variations of "same old, same old". PvP "balance" is a unicorn that only can be addressed by skill level.

Screw PvP. make this game balanced for PvE, and let the PvPers work out skills on their own.

After all, PvPers are supposed to be the "leet" crowd, so let them manage as they will in their goofy "leet" ways.

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on November 25, 2014 12:29AM
  • AryaWythers
    AryaWythers
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't even talking about PvP balance just all the lag/crashing problems
    I must admit it's better than it was since launch....but doesn't seem like nearly the amount of PvP'rs we had back then
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must admit it's better than it was since launch....but doesn't seem like nearly the amount of PvP'rs we had back then

Lag and crashing are different issues. As for less PvPers from way back when, well, just keep in mind that PvP is a minority interest, and most will migrate back to Call of Duty type games in the end.

• halvard4685
    So many complainers on this game. What a bunch of little ***
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sloppy work
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • AryaWythers
    AryaWythers
    ✭✭✭

Lag and crashing are different issues. As for less PvPers from way back when, well, just keep in mind that PvP is a minority interest, and most will migrate back to Call of Duty type games in the end.

Well since lag and random crashes still exist in PvP and PvE...I think it's still and issue since there are tons of threads in forums about it. Most MMO's focus on PvP and even try to add to it's content to keep players, since the end game grinders just get bored with doing the same thing day in and out
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

At least this time when they are saying its unplayable its because they actually can't play due to it downloading.
  • halvard4685

At least this time when they are saying its unplayable its because they actually can't play due to it downloading.

Ha that's true

• AryaWythers
    AryaWythers
    ✭✭✭

Complaining about the complainers...makes you one of the group

Edited by AryaWythers on November 25, 2014 12:45AM
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well since lag and random crashes still exist in PvP and PvE...I think it's still and issue since there are tons of threads in forums about it. Most MMO's focus on PvP and even try to add to it's content to keep players, since the end game grinders just get bored with doing the same thing day in and out

They only focus on PvP because PvP battlegrounds are texturally boring. And, once you have nothing else pve to do, oh, well, pvp. I'm saving Cyrodiil for just that reason, because I know I won't even hit VR10 doing Cadwell's Gold with current XP gain - and I'm not into tackling vr11 slag in that "adventure zone" until I'm actually VR11 myself.
    -
  • KeplerMG
    KeplerMG
    ✭✭✭
    The download got up to 71% they stayed stuck there for quite a while, so I restarted the patcher. Out of curiosity, I tried logging into the game from the exe file itself, and I was able to get in, even though the patch is still running.
  • BCBasher
    BCBasher
    ✭✭✭
    KeplerMG wrote: »
    The download got up to 71% they stayed stuck there for quite a while, so I restarted the patcher. Out of curiosity, I tried logging into the game from the exe file itself, and I was able to get in, even though the patch is still running.

I'm at 34% after quitting first patch and repairing as suggested, can't log from .exe just get a crash report.

This discussion has been closed.